• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT4| The warsong has ended, please patron other decks

Status
Not open for further replies.

ViviOggi

It would be a buff since it's then out of BGH range.

What do you guys think?

Bravo.

Well. It seems pretty much designed for pali with blessing of might. Which means you have a 3/5 with charge for 3 mana. Or perhaps with cruel taskmaster as a 2/4 with charge + a 2/2 for 4 mana.

Don't think it is quite good enough considering the combos you need in hand. I think you could even buff it to 0/6 considering how weak it will be to silence and the fact that you need multiple cards to use.

Mattiator

Hello all :) I have been playing this deck for awhile and was wondering if any of you, being at such a high calibre of player you are, had any advice on changes or if it should suffice. I appreciate any input :)

Class Cards (20)
2 Inner Rage 0
2 Execute 1
2 Whirlwind 1
2 Shield Slam 1
Fiery War Axe 2
2 Battle Rage 2
2 Armorsmith 2
Shield Block 3
2 Frothing Berserker 3
2 Warsong Commander 3
2 Death’s Bite 4

Neutral Cards (10)
2 Unstable Ghoul 2
2 Acolyte of Pain 3
2 Gnomish Inventor 4
2 Grim Patron 5
Dr. Boom 7

Magnus

I just can't seem to get Patron Warrior rolling well. I feel like I never seem to have the right combination of cards in hand to get the killer combos off and find myself top decking garbage around turns 8-12 desperately hoping for what I need. Sigh.

manhack

Hello all :) I have been playing this deck for awhile and was wondering if any of you, being at such a high calibre of player you are, had any advice on changes or if it should suffice. I appreciate any input :)

Class Cards (20)
2 Inner Rage 0
2 Execute 1
2 Whirlwind 1
2 Shield Slam 1
Fiery War Axe 2
2 Battle Rage 2
2 Armorsmith 2
Shield Block 3
2 Frothing Berserker 3
2 Warsong Commander 3
2 Death’s Bite 4

Neutral Cards (10)
2 Unstable Ghoul 2
2 Acolyte of Pain 3
2 Gnomish Inventor 4
2 Grim Patron 5
Dr. Boom 7

-1 Shield Slam
- Dr. Boom
-1 Gnomish
+2 Slam
+ Shield Block

Shield Slam would be you flex spot and change with tech cards like Harrison

manhack

I just can't seem to get Patron Warrior rolling well. I feel like I never seem to have the right combination of cards in hand to get the killer combos off and find myself top decking garbage around turns 8-12 desperately hoping for what I need. Sigh.

Patron has a pretty rough go of it if you can't draw in to your combos.

Mulligan is really important for each match up more anything I use this guide http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/280069-top8patron

Other than that you just need to know how to stall as much as possible while minimizing damage.

A lot of decks on ladder prioritize putting pressure on slow decks to where you can recover if you have a bad draw.

Raxus

Deck List
Drop the boom and the shield slams.

Get 2 Slam and Emperor in there.

You can swap Harrison for gnomish depending but it isn't a big thing. It is more of tool to counter patron v patron.

Mattiator

-1 Shield Slam
- Dr. Boom
-1 Gnomish
+2 Slam
+ Shield Block

Shield Slam would be you flex spot and change with tech cards like Harrison

Drop the boom and the shield slams.

Get 2 Slam and Emperor in there.

You can swap Harrison for gnomish depending but it isn't a big thing. It is more of tool to counter patron v patron.

Thanks for responses :) You guys are awesome will make the switch!

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Oh god, I just had a Patron Warrior lose to BM. He killed my Sylvanis who stole his 20 damage Frothing Berserker before it attacked. He already had enough damage on the board to win too.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Thoughts on this controlish Hunter deck for TGT?

Would like to replace Cult Master but Hunter doesn't have a whole lot of draw options.

http://www.hearthpwn.com/deckbuilder/hunter#8:2;22:2;33:1;140:1;167:2;317:2;503:1;578:2;683:1;7746:1;7749:2;12182:1;12191:2;12227:1;12242:1;14459:2;22258:2;22370:2;22384:2;

1. Any Hunter deck that isn't running Mad Scientist is probably making a huge mistake. Secrets can also work with Lock in Lock in a pinch.
2. I think at least 1x Tracking is really good in a Lock in Load deck, as it helps you draw into more spell cards.
3. I dunno why you really need Cult Master when you have Lock and Load

Personally I just don't like a controlish archetype for a Lock in Load deck or Hunter in general. You're slowing the game down but you don't have the best board control options. I don't see any advantage to a deck like this over a more mid-rangey deck.

Edit: Here's my thought on what a Lock and Lock deck might actually look like.. Dreadscale being a tech choice against hyper-aggro like aggro Paladin or Face Hunter. That probably has some flex and could be replaced with a Sludge Belcher or Ironbeak Owl or something. Or maybe you give it more flexibility and make it a Wild Pyromancer instead.

Fireblend

Banned
After seeing that video of a guy bluffing a lethal spell with some other useless spell I've had a ton of players try to do it to me. Is it something that happened before or has it become more popular due to the video? Whenever I realize what's going on I just do a threaten emote lol.

1. Any Hunter deck that isn't running Mad Scientist is probably making a huge mistake. Secrets can also work with Lock in Lock in a pinch.
2. I think at least 1x Tracking is really good in a Lock in Load deck, as it helps you draw into more spell cards.
3. I dunno why you really need Cult Master when you have Lock and Load

Personally I just don't like a controlish archetype for a Lock in Load deck or Hunter in general. You're slowing the game down but you don't have the best board control options. I don't see any advantage to a deck like this over a more mid-rangey deck.

I'd luck to run secrets (probably Freezing?) but for two secrets and two Mad Scientists I'd have to cut four cards which is quite a bit. Could possibly get rid of Cult Master and both Unleash the Hounds since it doesn't synergize particularly well with Powershot and some of the other removal in the deck anyway. Although then there's Eaglehorn Bow to consider so the deck changes quite a bit by fitting in secrets.

Tracking I will definitely test but I've never particularly liked the card. Great for fishing for a card but I feel like the cost is really heavy.

Also reason I went with Cult Master is just a way to draw through the deck faster. Lock and Load obviously refills your hand and gives you more to work with but it doesn't do much for actually drawing the cards in your deck which is something Hunter still has a little bit of trouble doing.

ZealousD

After seeing that video of a guy bluffing a lethal spell with some other useless spell I've had a ton of players try to do it to me. Is it something that happened before or has it become more popular due to the video? Whenever I realize what's going on I just do a threaten emote lol.

People did it in the past. I honestly see it most often in arena. I think that video is the only time it ever actually worked.

I'd luck to run secrets (probably Freezing?) but for two secrets and two Mad Scientists I'd have to cut four cards which is quite a bit. Could possibly get rid of Cult Master and both Unleash the Hounds since it doesn't synergize particularly well with Powershot and some of the other removal in the deck anyway. Although then there's Eaglehorn Bow to consider so the deck changes quite a bit by fitting in secrets.

Tracking I will definitely test but I've never particularly liked the card. Great for fishing for a card but I feel like the cost is really heavy.

Also reason I went with Cult Master is just a way to draw through the deck faster. Lock and Load obviously refills your hand and gives you more to work with but it doesn't do much for actually drawing the cards in your deck which is something Hunter still has a little bit of trouble doing.

I mean what I'm hearing you say is basically the reason Control Hunter is not very good. If you have to cut Mad Scientist and throw in sub-optimal draw like Cult Master your deck just isn't that strong. Hunters excel at reach and so the only time they ever tried to play the board control game was classic midrange hunter that ran the Buzzard+UTH combo. You don't have enough board control tools and I don't think Powershot is really enough to put it over the edge.

I mean what I'm hearing you say is basically the reason Control Hunter is not very good. If you have to cut Mad Scientist and throw in sub-optimal draw like Cult Master your deck just isn't that strong. Hunters excel at reach and so the only time they ever tried to play the board control game was classic midrange hunter that ran the Buzzard+UTH combo. You don't have enough board control tools and I don't think Powershot is really enough to put it over the edge.

Well It's not as though I'm suggesting control Hunter will be the replacement for Midrange. If it was anywhere close to a premiere deck it would be played now regardless. I'm mostly just floating out ideas for what a control Hunter would look like once these new cards are out in the wild.

It's just something I'm interested in playing for fun as I've always liked the control Hunter archetype. I fully accept that control Hunter probably isn't going to suddenly become a top tier deck because of Lock and Load and Powershot.

Fireblend

Banned
Is Leper Gnome a good card to play on turn one? When I don't have the coin I feel like it's really good against rogues/mages/druids since it pretty much forces them to waste their coin, but I'm not so sure on other situations. As a hunter for example, would a webspinner be a better play if I have the coin?

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Guys sometimes i can't see the name of my last opponent, is that a bug? Also i got rank 6 with that tempo mage deck a dude linked here, feels good
misc-dendiFace.PNG
Too bad the grind to make to legend is pretty damn hard.

Is Leper Gnome a good card to play on turn one? When I don't have the coin I feel like it's really good against rogues/mages/druids since it pretty much forces them to waste their coin, but I'm not so sure on other situations. As a hunter for example, would a webspinner be a better play if I have the coin?

Yes.

Better than webspinner? If you are asking the question, no. Keep going face, it is your best chance.

ZealousD

If it was Turn 1, and I didn't have any other Turn 1 minions to play, then I would play Leper Gnome. If your opponent doesn't have an immediate answer to it then it does a lot of damage. If I was choosing between it and Worgen Infiltrator for Turn 1 I would probably pick Worgen Infiltrator first because it is less good outside of Turn 1 where it might get AOE'd.

ZealousD

You know, I started building a new Paladin deck for TGT and I decided to pick an Ironbeak Owl, but then I realized I had Tuskarr Jouster in my deck. Prior to the Joust mechanic it seemed like having an Ironbeak Owl was slightly better than Spellbreaker, but now you actually have a stronger argument for choosing Spellbreaker than you had before. If you're up against a Face Deck and you Joust into an Ironbeak Owl that's actually really bad.

Thoughts on this controlish Hunter deck for TGT?

Would like to replace Cult Master but Hunter doesn't have a whole lot of draw options.

http://www.hearthpwn.com/deckbuilder/hunter#8:2;22:2;33:1;140:1;167:2;317:2;503:1;578:2;683:1;7746:1;7749:2;12182:1;12191:2;12227:1;12242:1;14459:2;22258:2;22370:2;22384:2;

I think acid maw does more than rag in that deck with double unleash.

I'd also add ball of spiders for the cult master. The deck will not be as good as midrange anyway, so might as well go for the ball/acid dream. It might even work ok.

Dahbomb

Combos with Acidmaw:

Ball of Spiders
Arcane Shots
Unleash the Hounds
Powershot
Dreadscale
Pyromancer + Hunter's Mark (this combo is actually run in Control Hunter decklists)
Snake Trap

There is quite a bit you can do with Acidmaw in a control Hunter deck.

People think that card is dumpster trash tier but it really isn't all that bad. It's a pure combo board clear card and having a board clear that can even clear a Handlock huge board is not that bad at all. Certainly the only way I could win some of those Brawl games was with an UTH and Acidmaw combo. If I had more cards like Powershots, Wild Pyromancer or Dreadscale then it would've been even better.

I think acid maw does more than rag in that deck with double unleash.

I'd also add ball of spiders for the cult master. The deck will not be as good as midrange anyway, so might as well go for the ball/acid dream. It might even work ok.

I hadn't considered Acidmaw or Ball of Spiders but I actually like that idea quite a bit and I guess card draw from your deck isn't as much of an issue when you can make something out of nothing with Lock and Load and Ball of Spiders. Will definitely try that out.

Combos with Acidmaw:

Ball of Spiders
Arcane Shots
Unleash the Hounds
Powershot
Dreadscale
Pyromancer + Hunter's Mark

There is quite a bit you can do with Acidmaw in a control Hunter deck.

Yeah I was just thinking about this after reading toddhunter's suggestions. Acidmaw is a really intriguing card in control Hunter the more I think about it.

ZealousD

Yeah people dismiss Acidmaw out of hand because of his stats but his effect is potentially super powerful with the right combo. I don't think he's better individually than Dreadscale but there is an argument to be made.

Dahbomb

You know what else is run in Control Hunter decks?

Gazrilla.

Check out this deck:

http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/246169-gahzrilla-control-hunter-74-win-rate

Also runs Steamweedle Snipers for more board control.

I have run this deck but the main problem with it is that A) Midrange is just better B) Doesn't run Mad Scientist which makes this deck too "balanced" and "fair" and C) it has shit for card draws. You have to run stuff like Acolytes for the draws.

I guess Lock n Load was Blizzard's way of fixing that issue for Hunter's but it's not a reliable enough tool for a control deck (where you want maximum consistency).

In any case, a card like Dreadscale would be perfect in this deck along with Powershot.

Pooya

Acidmaw is like one or two mana too expensive, and with it on board you can't play anything significant . Anything that get pinged will be destroyed. Arcane Missile to a board with Acidmaw is quite funny. You have to kill it too, maybe Recombobulator is good to have there as you get very good value on it..

Dahbomb

Acidmaw is like one or two mana too expensive, and with it on board you can't play anything significant . Anything that get pinged will be destroyed. Arcane Missile to a board with Acidmaw is quite funny. You have to kill it too, maybe Recombobulator is good to have there as you get very good value on it..
Neither can your opponent to be honest. It's really on the opponent to kill the Acidmaw.

Like I said before... it's GOOD that Acidmaw has low health. What's bad about it is the cost of course... you can't get those amazing board clears until really late into the game which is a shame.

Maybe you'd consider running Thaurissan? It would make both the Lock and Load and Acidmaw combos cheaper.

Only problem is it's going to be tough to draw out a lot from your deck and your hand size isn't going to be particularly large except after a Lock and Load combo.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
My girlfriend is looking for a plugin which tracks your pack openings and tells you how many rares/epics/legendaries you've gotten from packs opened. Anyone know of such a thing, or is Excel the best option?

They're releasing the API soon so I'm hoping there will eventually be a better option than a spreadsheet.

Yeah people dismiss Acidmaw out of hand because of his stats but his effect is potentially super powerful with the right combo. I don't think he's better individually than Dreadscale but there is an argument to be made.

The main issue is going to be death rattles so I think acidmaw will be very meta specific.

But it is an interesting card. I don't think you'd craft it...but if you got it in a pack you could have some fun with it.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I love when you communicate in this game without actually... communicating.

So I'm playing unranked for my daily wins and I immediately see this guy putting out a bunch of shitty 1 mana drops. On turn 3, I realize that he has the "lower than 2 mana"-daily so I give him free turns. I put creatures out that he can suicide into and instantly click on "end turn" so he can tap (warlock) and mass out a bunch of minions.

After he puts out like 20 cards he concedes because he probably knows that his daily is finished. I get my win and he gets his daily!

Thank you. - from both sides

manhack

So I'm playing unranked for my daily wins and I immediately see this guy putting out a bunch of shitty 1 mana drops. On turn 3, I realize that he has the "lower than 2 mana"-daily so I give him free turns. I put creatures out that he can suicide into and instantly click on "end turn" so he can tap (warlock) and mass out a bunch of minions.

After he puts out like 20 cards he concedes because he probably knows that his daily is finished. I get my win and he gets his daily!

That's pretty cool. Made a lot of in game friends though games where we emoted each other in a non-BM sort of way.

Reported for win trading.

inky

Rank 5. Woo. I got a good winstreak from 9 to 5 so it was easier than expected. Druid FTW.

I can finally stop playing ranked :p

Pooya

Legend rank really deserved a golden legendary with how much time it takes to climb. It would have been a good incentive to keep playing, right now it's a waste of time after reaching 5. It would have been in line with their reward tiers and how the card goes up from common to rare to epic, yet legend rank doesn't give a legendary, legend in name only. It's not like it was going to cost them anything, Blizzard too greedy these days I guess and they were not going to give that one more common even until last minute.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's not like it was going to cost them anything
Free 1600 dust? Instant any legendary? The driving force behind pack purchase is the allure of legendaries. They'd have a ton to lose.

No one would buy any classic packs if they had every legendary from that set. This means more gold to spend on new sets and less money being spent.

Classic is still a good purchase because it has tons of playable legendaries. Give those away one every month and people will stop altogether.

Legend rank really deserved a golden legendary with how much time it takes to climb. It would have been a good incentive to keep playing, right now it's a waste of time after reaching 5.

I'd take another approach. Anybody who bothers to reach legendary should have a legendary card taken away from them.

I think that'll be much better for the community in the long term.

So, I finally turned my eyes towards the future of paladin and cooked up two similar decks, one dragon and one not dragon with more consistency oriented. I'm not entirely convinced tuskar jouster is better than healbot, but I kept it in the second list knowing that healbot easily replaces it for more consistency.

Paladin_TGT.png

Below the lists are some thoughts on cards I thought of including.

I think gormok the impaler could be really good in paladin running muster as it basically acts like a third truesilver champion in a way, when it goes off successfully of course.

Not sure how good enter the coliseum will be. I haven't given it a lot of thought yet and I'm not even sure how it works with multiple minions of the same attack being on board. One thing I do realize is that there is a good deal of control over what survives which is often a good thing and it certainly cuts the need for a second equality quite a bit I'd imagine. And if you have humility you can pretty much neutralize their entire board, although humility might not be worth running.

Murloc knight seems pretty damn good in the right scenario tbh. Sometimes just forcing your opponent to remove a minion awkwardly is very nice. Still not sure if it is worth it though. At least it is only a common card.

Dahbomb

Man Mech Mage has been back in full force now.

People are going maximum Grim Patron counter heavy now with all these Mech Mage, Ramp Druids and Handlocks everywhere. People have had enough of the Patron shenanigans!

I think gormok the impaler could be really good in paladin running muster as it basically acts like a third truesilver champion in a way, when it goes off successfully of course.
I feel Gormok is really only playable in either Aggro Paladin (and that's a stretch) and Zoolock. Zoolock is easiest because of stuff like Implosion.

I feel Gormok is really only playable in either Aggro Paladin (and that's a stretch) and Zoolock. Zoolock is easiest because of stuff like Implosion.

I am a bit more optimistic because at the very least it can combo off muster with a minion on board on turn 7 and that isn't even that hard to pull off tbh. There are a lot of match ups where this 4 damage battlecry could be huge, especially vs druid and priests (probably control warrior too but paladins basically got that covered already). Then factor in muster's weapon I can remove a minion with 5hp (+minion that was on board) and that is quite a lot of minions to take out with this.

I don't even think his bad match up vs shredder is a big deal tbh.

Unfortunately I probably won't be crafting this guy so hopefully I'll pull him from a pack to test him out. My first 1600 dust is probably going towards eadric and then probably the coliseum thing. Maybe I'll craft him if I run out of top legends to build.

Pooya

Free 1600 dust? Instant any legendary? The driving force behind pack purchase is the allure of legendaries. They'd have a ton to lose.

No one would buy any classic packs if they had every legendary from that set. This means more gold to spend on new sets and less money being spent.

Classic is still a good purchase because it has tons of playable legendaries. Give those away one every month and people will stop altogether.

Giving 1600 dust to a tiny tiny fraction of the player base that probably spends a lot on the game already and don't need it anyway seems fine, it would have been an actual reward, a token for the efforts rather than I do this to get dust and not to buy anything.

The card they give is not just from classic set btw, it can be from all three sets, no adventure cards will be given.

If one can hit legend every month, they deserve to get good loot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom