• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT4| The warsong has ended, please patron other decks

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Here's a change that turns Patron into a Tier 2-3 deck but keeps it on life support and solves the Warsong Problem.

Warsong Commander
Battlecry, Deathrattle: Give a friendly minion Charge.
2/3

Flavorful too.

That is an obscene card, are you kidding me? You're acting like Patron is the only card that'd be used for, and it it definitely isn't.

Here I made a Loatheb for Patron, just off the top of my head.

Infinite Time-thief
Epic
Taunt
Battlecry: Your opponent has 5 seconds to make their play next turn.
Dragon
3/6

It's 3 damage so Patron's can't suicide into it,
It's 6 health so Deathbite can't kill it.
It has taunt so they need to break it sooner or later.
It's also a Dragon so it enables Dragon decks, particularly Dragon Priest which already has anti-Patron tools built in.

This is also OP as hell, jesus.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I never said it would be limited to Patron.

I personally like cards that enable alternative strategies, not generic "good value per mana for this cost" cards.

In terms of Warsong affecting future cards and what the design team wants to do, the nerf makes a lot of sense. I still think the end result is dumb though. I'd be willing to buy "soul of the card" a little more if they hadn't essentially destroyed one of Warrior's class cards.

ZealousD

I never said it would be limited to Patron.

I personally like cards that enable alternative strategies, not generic "good value per mana for this cost" cards.

You balanced it according to Patron, though. Giving two minions charge with no restriction on what you're charging is ridiculous, especially for a sacrifice of only 1 mana worth of stats. Charging Sylvanas. Charging Dr. Boom. Charging Shieldmaidens. Charging Justicar.... come on.

Pooya

ok watched the whole thing....

well, losing to charge minions isn't fun? So how about force of nature combo? How is that fine? These design inconsistency are so annoying, if they want to nerf charge, nerf everything else because starting next week there will be even more druid players and losing to combo sure doesn't feel good when you die from 22 health or who knows what these days after emperor drops.

If they care about feeling bad when losing, you know what feels bad to lose to? RNG, terrible cards like unstable portal. Of course they won't ever address it. You can't get more unfair than that.

They went through thirty to forty text and decided on this? And he actually admits the card is bad now and that new players wouldn't know how good the card is... nothing more needed to be said about how exactly this reflects on his team. wow

And some yeah whatever comment about arena deferring it to future. Great job there...

Haly

You balanced it according to Patron, though. Giving two minions charge with no restriction on what you're charging is ridiculous, especially for a sacrifice of only 1 mana worth of stats. Charging Sylvanas. Charging Dr. Boom. Charging Shieldmaidens. Charging Justicar.... come on.

It's a 3 mana 2/3 for fuck's sake.
12242.png

Flesheating_Ghoul%28610%29.png

No one cares about them for good reason. Because they're fucking useless because they don't do anything on the turn they come down because Hearthstone has reached a state where if you don't do anything entering or leaving the battlefield, or you don't generate a ton of value, you might as well not be played at all. This is the game that Brode's team has created and the game my Warsong is targeted for.

Here's another 3 mana Charge giver that's seeing tons of play, apparently, because Charging Sylvanas is just so amazing.

The way I see it, the best method of using my version would be Warsong Commander + Shield Bash + 3 Armor, which already provides multiple avenues of "interruption" it and takes up 4 mana so at most you're doing it with Sylvanas... and you can already do better with just a single Shield Bash and more armor.

But that's besides the point. I was trying to show that you can balance Patron and solve the Dreadsteed/self generation problem by putting a cap on how much Charge it can give. The reason Gadgetzan Auctioneer was degenerate was not because it cantripped cards, but because it did it without limit. It's a balance change I proposed way back. People didn't care if Auctioner drew 1 or 2, they cared when Auctioneer drew 5-6. If Rogues weren't permitted to overdraw like that (Battle Rage has a similar issue), the complaints would've died down eventually and we'd have one more interesting non-standard deck to play with instead of 1.

And soon, 0.

I am actually trying to add to the game. Brode is the one subtracting from it.

ZealousD

Here's another 3 mana Charge giver that's seeing tons of play, apparently, because Charging Sylvanas is just so amazing.

Doesn't have a body. Only charges one minion. Your version of Warsong and the existing Charge card aren't even remotely in the same league.

Haly

They're not in the same league because the current Charge is unplayable. Why would I want a Commander in the same league as that?

I tried

Battlecry: Give random friendly minion Charge

and

Deathrattle: Give random friendly minion Charge

And I thought why would I play this over Charge? Hence, both.

By the way, it's not immediately obvious but I left out "other" on purpose so it can give itself Charge via Battlecry because DIGITAL ATHLETICS.

I keep saying this but my intent was to preserve Patron and promote new decks. I would not use a currently unplayable card as a yardstick to accomplish those two goals, just like how I wouldn't use Unbound Elemental as a template for new Overload cards.

ZealousD

They're not in the same league because the current Charge is unplayable. Why would I want a Commander in the same league as that?

You are the one that made the comparison! Tried to act like your version wasn't too strong because Charge wasn't too strong.

I tried

and

And I thought why would I play this over Charge? Hence, both.

That's a horrible way to approach card design. You don't just come up with two cards and then combine them whenever you're unsatisfied with the individual pieces.

Haly

That's a horrible way to approach card design. You don't just come up with two cards and then combine them whenever you're unsatisfied with the individual pieces.
Toshley%2812225%29.png

This isn't a design manifesto. It's a single change to a single card to address a single problem. I mean I could be more granular with the effects. I could say, 2 attack or less, or 4 cost or less, or any number of caveats to limit its power without making it as useless as Charge, but Hearthstone also hates complex/verbose cards so what is there to do?

And I wanted to preserve the "soul" of Warsong Commander so I didn't change the Mana Cost or Stats. I know Brode would approve of that.
laugh.gif

jgminto

If they really had to focus on Warsong, what about adding a damaged minion qualifier to the current 3 damage one (If a minion with 3 or less attack is damaged, give it charge), that plus a Frothing health nerf would bump Patron down a bit without totally destroying it.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I actually play Nozdormu for fun from time to time and 15 seconds is really way too long. Unless you're playing Patron at Worlds you will not need 15 seconds to do the Patron things.

5 is actually a threat.

I think that's just a bad mechanic to mess around with in general. Especially when there's mobile clients and weird disconnects that can happen.

That's before we go into detail about how the timer is super weird with all the animations in general and Noz is buggy as hell already.

ZealousD

Okay, cool.

3 mana
1/3
Battlecry: Draw a Card
Deathrattle: Draw a Card

If it was just a battlecry it would be worse than Acolyte of Pain.
If it was just a deathrattle it would be worse than Acolyte of Pain.

So I combined them. It's a totally fair card now, right?

Haly

I think that's just a bad mechanic to mess around with in general. Especially when there's mobile clients and weird disconnects that can happen.

This is true, I'll give you that. It just rankles that they show me what's possible in a digital card game and then go "nope, not doing it, having some value creatures instead!"
Okay, cool.

3 mana
1/3
Battlecry: Draw a Card
Deathrattle: Draw a Card

I don't know why you're reaching for Acolyte when there are closer analogs:

Your card is pretty much better than either two, one of which was nerfed but playable, the other of which is also playable, and then you combined them so, no, not really. Not a fair card at all. Furthermore, I don't know why it would even need to exist. Have I failed to clarify that I'm proposing a solution to an existing problem that I felt was poorly addressed?

There is only one other analog for my Commader and that's Tundra Rhino, which is, surprise!, also borderline unplayable.

In terms of Warsong affecting future cards and what the design team wants to do, the nerf makes a lot of sense. I still think the end result is dumb though. I'd be willing to buy "soul of the card" a little more if they hadn't essentially destroyed one of Warrior's class cards.

yea pretty much. i kind of understand the whole look at a card and know the gist, but damn its gonna be a while before anybody looks at warsong commander. Ultimately whatever they release next has to justify this huge of a nerf.

Papercuts

Oh boy, a hunter's dr. boom getting 4 to the face and killing an azure drake deciding yet another game.

Maybe in two years blizzard will get around to him.

This is true, I'll give you that. It just rankles that they show me what's possible in a digital card game and then go "nope, not doing it, having some value creatures instead!"

Yeah, I get that. I remember some of the weird stuff that datamined from the beta like a minion that did damage if people moused over it, lol.

Pooya

I would have made warsong to has charge while you have a weapon equipped like deckhand is, decent followup to war axe for new players and basic decks, 2/3 body with charge and 3 mana isn't bad. I think that's a reasonable text, it's simple to understand and way better than removing the card from the card pool like they're doing right now. Actually pretty decent for arena too, charge is valuable there. It would still be a bad card but at least playable and smorc warrior could use it and like in the video he mentions it would be a different function that Kor'kron Elite has if that was their problem of just making the text charge.

Haly

I'll be upfront, Zealous. I actually built that card knowing that it would likely revive Giants Warrior, which is, in an environment with Secret Paladin, Thaurissan, Freeze Mage, Fast Druids, etc, not that big of a threat. The game has changed a lot since then and double Molten is no longer the bogeyman it once was.

Or it might be! With Frost Giant this Warrior would give Handlock a run for its money. Wouldn't that be interesting? I think it would. I like games that are interesting and dynamic.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
Is this a troll?

That answer was a joke. Brode was always a clown but at least he felt honest. The shit he said about the new warsong make clear he's lying and just spewing PR shit. "3 mana 2/3 is teh spirit of the card", just wow, amaze design insight
DZtLeiS.gif

Nope. He knows more about game design than the people complaining in this thread. Fact.

I'm very happy his vision for the game doesn't include OTK bullshit.

squidyj

yeah the one reasonable argument is that warsong can prevent more interesting cards going forward but I want to believe in a world where it's possible to do this without killing a deck and the card at the same time.

Haly

Better remove the Rogue class as well while you're at it.

Shamans too. If all those Overload bursty cards ever become viable again they'll become too OTK for Hearthstone players. And Bloodlust, AlAkir, Doomhammer. Remove all of that!

All Paladin all the time.

Oh wait...

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
Better remove the Druid class from the game then.

Call me when Druid can OTK from hand with no minions on the board and the opponent at 30+ health, and it becomes so consistent it wins countless tournaments.

I get people having a different opinion on how to handle the nerf (I expected it to change to 'minions with 3 or less attack HAVE charge', though now I understand how the card itself hampers future design), but let's be real - patron was a problem. If someone wants to discuss how to change WC (as many of you have), that's cool. Interested in keeping OTKs in the game? Not interested in your vision for the game at all.

ZealousD

I'll be upfront, Zealous. I actually built that card knowing that it would likely revive Giants Warrior, which is, in an environment with Secret Paladin, Thaurissan, Freeze Mage, Fast Druids, etc, not that big of a threat. The game has changed a lot since then and double Molten is no longer the bogeyman it once was.

Or it might be! With Frost Giant this Warrior would give Handlock a run for its money. Wouldn't that be interesting? I think it would. I like games that are interesting and dynamic.

Secret Paladin and Thaurissan are busted, though. Mysterious Challenger should just not exist as a concept and Thaurissan should be a battlecry. I don't support hypothetical OP cards just because there are other bonkers as hell cards in the game currently.

Call me when Druid can OTK from hand with no minions on the board and the opponent at 30+ health, and it becomes so consistent it wins countless tournaments.

I get people having a different opinion on how to handle the nerf (I expected it to change to 'minions with 3 or less attack HAVE charge', though now I understand how the card itself hampers future design), but let's be real - patron was a problem. If someone wants to discuss how to change WC (as many of you have), that's cool. Interested in keeping OTKs in the game? Not interested in your vision for the game at all.

FoN + Savage Roar is far more reliable then an OTK, though. OTKs are very annoying yes, but most of the time they have very complicated conditions, Patron was one of the sole exceptions and you still needed the perfect hand + Emperor. They have become easier after Thaurissan was put into the game yes but FoN + Savage Roar + Innervate + Savage Roar is still death most of the time for an empty board. Normal FoN + SR usually does the trick anyway since that is Druid's entire gameplan.

Secret Paladin and Thaurissan are busted, though. Mysterious Challenger should just not exist as a concept and Thaurissan should be a battlecry. I don't support hypothetical OP cards just because there are other bonkers as hell cards in the game currently.

Thaurissan usually dies the turn he is played, save for certain matchups, although if they did nerf him the battlecry method would be best.

Haly

"Countless".

Lmao.

The deck is 5 months old.

The best decks of Hearthstone World Championships 2014 were, in fact, Ramp Druid and Handlock, decks that have existed even before the Championships were established and dominant then as well.

Papercuts

I fully expect FoN + SR to be nerfed within the life of hearthstone at some point. There's going to be a breaking point with it, thaurissan + darnassus are just two cards yet help make the deck as a whole so much stronger.

ZealousD

Thaurissan usually dies the turn he is played, save for certain matchups, although if they did nerf him the battlecry method would be best.

Well part of that is because he has such a huge target on his head. People would be less desperate to remove him if his text was a battlecry. And it's not like the card would see any less play if it was a battlecry. That's usually a pretty good indication to me that a card needs a nerf. You could make a significant change to a card and it wouldn't even change which decks it is put in or how often it is played.

CoolOff

So, about the 3 mana 2/3 in order for the card to keep its "soul". Does that mean Starving Buzzard doesn't have a soul anymore?

I like the change. With Patron destroyed aggro will be much stronger. This might force people to actually think about their decks a little.

Substituting a card in to help you survive? It is going to be a massive shift for 99% of players, but it might just make the game better.

Also reincarnate shaman and other shaman decks may not get so fucking destroyed.

Pooya

Emperor definitely needs to be changed to battlecry, it's not ok that if you can't kill a 5/5 on turn it is played you just lose the game.

Got a feeling if they nerfed Emperor they would hamstring him like Nat Pagle instead of doing the battlecry thing.

I agree. Battlecry isn't really a nerf at all because the single activation is all you need. If you get more, chances are shit was getting silly anyway.

Nerf to not allow things to cost zero is the safest nerf. I'd like to see that first, then pagled.

ricelord

I like the change. With Patron destroyed aggro will be much stronger. This might force people to actually think about their decks a little.

Substituting a card in to help you survive? It is going to be a massive shift for 99% of players, but it might just make the game better.

or more people will go aggro.

Dahbomb

So it's fine to be do 20+ damage with 4 cards in hand but it's not fine to do 30+ damage with at least as many cards?

It's a very fine line there between so broken that it requires destruction of a card/deck and perfectly fine (allowed to stay in the game for years).

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I feel the Patron nerf came far less from the one turn kill and more how it impacted the other player.

1.) Patron punished hurting the enemy due to battle rage.
2.) Patron punished playing minions with two or less damage, and could generate huge card draw off of doing so.
3.) Patron punished playing a large number of minions due to how Frothing Berserker works.
4.) It was hard to play something that was a great solution to both the Grim Patrons and the Frothing Berserkers instead of dealing with one while potentially buffing the other.
5.) It enabled one turn kills against very high health and armor totals instead of just specifically 30 health or 22 health.
6.) The Patron wombo combo often happened pretty early in the game.
7.) The card limited what they could feasibly print in the future as further buffs to the deck would make it seem increasingly unbearable to large parts of their player base.

If we boils this down, I see the driving factors as:

1.) The Patron player was not engaging in minion combat was fine, because they were opting to do so, similar to how Freeze Mage has been left alone for quite some time. However, it was notably hampering minion play *for the other player* as well, which is where I feel it upset Blizzard the most. It's similar to why Unleash the Hounds + Buzzard was nerfed.
2.) It was hard to play around without picking specific deck archetypes that were often expensive, and thus not nearly as accessible to their more casual audience who would be most upset. You can't tell the vast, vast majority of players to pull out Handlock.

A Malygos Shaman OTK deck or a Velen/Aucheni OTK deck on the other hand would not have many of these properties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom