• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT4| The warsong has ended, please patron other decks

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Some of these suggested Warsong changes are complicated as hell. Stuff that would be on epic cards. Gotta remember this card is in the basic set.

Pooya

Southsea Deckhand treatment would have been ok for it, not complicated at all.

-----------------

1444912469-1.jpg

continuing one leg per week trend, I hope he works well in a deck some day. golden legendary never :\

Skux

And the Reddit Mysterious Challenger circlejerk has begun. I've played him since release and it's really not all it's cracked up to be. Like most Reddit complaints it's heavily influenced by selection bias. They don't remember the countless times I lost because of my shitty draw because half my deck is 1-mana secrets, they don't remember the times I lost because I never drew MC, they don't remember if they were smart enough to play around the predictable sequence of secret triggers.

Pooya

And the Reddit Mysterious Challenger circlejerk has begun. I've played him since release and it's really not all it's cracked up to be. Like most Reddit complaints it's heavily influenced by selection bias. They don't remember the countless times I lost because of my shitty draw because half my deck is 1-mana secrets, they don't remember the times I lost because I never drew MC, they don't remember if they were smart enough to play around the predictable sequence of secret triggers.

Those things don't matter, if patron had bad draw too they would just beat themselves, it happened quite often actually. The problem is a card that draws 5 cards and plays them has no business to be in this game, let alone be a 6 6/6. The argument that secrets are garbage never hold much ground, avenge isn't garbage, it's actually very good. Redemption is also very good so is get down. If you can't clear the board that turn you suddenly take like 15 damage to face, that's not ok. Secrets were supposed to be a guessing game, this card removes that too, you know exactly what the secrets are, it's just that it can be too hard to deal with all that sudden value out of thin air, it's not about sequencing. Then you have another broken card like Divine Favor that makes it even stronger. The card needs to go with a new irrelevant text. They can keep its "soul" if they want to. I don't think stats nerf would change much.

Or they didn't play face hunter with flare.

If everybody did that for a day we'd never see secret paladin ever again.

MC just has no business being a 6/6 when Mistcaller and Fizzlebang are 4/4

It's particularly galling that MC is an epic whereas Fizzlebang and Mistcaller are legendaries. You can have two in a deck, it has a stronger ability that goes into effect immediately without further card/mana investment, and it has better stats. I just can't figure out how they make a card like that and think it's fine.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm not actually expecting Mysterious Challenger to get nerfed because it's very easy to just make a neutral card that punishes having multiple secrets.

If they make that one unappealing in other match ups, it will mainly become a thing when Secret Paladin gets out of control while leaving Paladin secrets in use.

Pooya

They will probably try that first before nerfing, they have tried that approach in the past it never worked. Lil' Exorcist for deathrattle decks.. Chillmaw for patrons...

I'm not sure what kind of neutral card they can print that doesn't hurt mage/hunter too. They definitely want secrets to be played often, they can't print something actually effective because of it, those classes really need secrets to be effective, paladin doesn't.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
They will probably try that first before nerfing, they have tried that approach in the past it never worked. Lil' Exorcist for deathrattle decks.. Chillmaw for patrons...

I'm not sure what kind of neutral card they can print that doesn't hurt mage/hunter too. They definitely want secrets to be played often, they can't print something actually effective because of it, those classes really need secrets to be effective, paladin doesn't.
Do you feel Kezan was an unsuccessful tech card?

Chillmaw didn't strike me as anti-patron tech since it's only viable in dragon decks. They just put in two neutral taunt options since everyone said that dragon decks needed more mid-game dragons with taunts.

ViviOggi

MC just has no business being a 6/6 when Mistcaller and Fizzlebang are 4/4
Legit boggles the mind

I can live with Fizzlebang being an unplayable gimmick card because Warlock is more or less a complete class. Zoo and Handlock are consistently viable archetypes and both can easily absorb new op demons (Voidcaller, Malganis) or straight up busted cards (Implosion).

But Shaman? If any class needs a beyond broken tool it's him. Garbage early game, Lightning Storm being hilariously overcosted considering it doesn't even clear half of a modern deathrattle cancer board (which is immediately refilled by a vomitstorm of tokens anyway), and all they get the most anti-tempo midgame LEGENDARY imaginable. I don't even

Hell MC (an epic btw) is so insane that stuff like the new 3cc blessing are barely played at all. Shitman would kill for a single card like that. Compare Minibot and Totem Golem for a good laugh. No 3-drop unless you want to skip your turn 4 for two 2/3 taunts which get value cleared with today's tools anyway or take a 1/7 roll to maybe have a shot at winning the game. Unbound Elemental LMAO and then you're back to 2013 arena drops like Harvest Golem or just straight up ignore the slot like some lists do. I want to see a Muster for Totems so badly and I don't even like the class.

Pooya

Do you feel Kezan was an unsuccessful tech card?

Chillmaw didn't strike me as anti-patron tech since it's only viable in dragon decks. They just put in two neutral taunt options since everyone said that dragon decks needed more mid-game dragons with taunts.

It never really caught on, it's only really good against freeze mage. Situational cards like that are problematic, you can't afford to put more than one in your deck that might never draw in time. It's niche at best, you rather find a way to play around the secrets, that approach works well against hunter and mage. The most powerful one is freezing trap and mirror entity which you can find a way for. For example, Harrison is a good tech card. Kezan is too weak in other games.

Chillmaw in relation to patrons was mentioned by Brode himself in that last livestream with Frodan, it was definitely a consideration. They might have wanted dragon decks to be a counter maybe, as Twilight Guardian has 3 attack, Alex's Champion has 3 attack, Black Wing Tech has 3 Attack, Corrupter deals 3 damage etc.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It never really caught on, it's only really good against freeze mage. Situational cards like that are problematic, you can't afford to put more than one in your deck that might never draw in time. It's niche at best, you rather find a way to play around the secrets, that approach works well against hunter and mage. The most powerful one is freezing trap and mirror entity which you can find a way for. For example, Harrison is a good tech card. Kezan is too weak in other games.

Chillmaw in relation to patrons was mentioned by Brode himself in that last livestream with Frodan, it was definitely a consideration. They might have wanted dragon decks to be a counter maybe, as Twilight Guardian has 3 attack, Alex's Champion has 3 attack, Black Wing Tech has 3 Attack, Corrupter deals 3 damage etc.

In that case I feel they thought it through quite poorly. Frothing Berserker is going to be the major problem in that fight and it has four life.

I still expect them to make something that gets more powerful based on the number of secrets in play first before even attempting to address the card.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
For all intents and purposes no Frothing is going to have 4 life when they go for the swing.

The problem goes back to removal options, as always, that is no one cares what's on the board because it can always be killed first. I'm sure if pressed Patron would have had no problem running Owl somewhere if Chillmaw was a real threat.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I think Kezan is decent against Hunters as well as stealing a secret can also hamper their weapon many run.

It fucks you as a card against Warrior, Druid, or Lock though. Plus it doesn't do enough to counter Xmas Paly.

I always thought it should be 3 mana vs 4 even if you want to cut the stats back to say 3/3 or something.

This Tavern Brawl is amazing. I haven't enjoyed TB this much in weeks. I'm like 8-2 right now for some reason too.

It took me 2 games to get the win and I absolutely hated every second of it. Took my pack and won't bother touching Tavern Brawl again until next week. It's impossible to have any sort of strategy since the cards in your deck are completely random and then they randomly change cost every single turn. You can't plan on what you're going to do the next turn because your cards might just cost too much then. The random deck brawl was pretty bad, but this is an order of magnitude worse.

Pooya

For all intents and purposes no Frothing is going to have 4 life when they go for the swing.

The problem goes back to removal options, as always, that is no one cares what's on the board because it can always be killed first. I'm sure if pressed Patron would have had no problem running Owl somewhere if Chillmaw was a real threat.

Well obviously it didn't work but it was at least annoying, it could delay your plans for a turn even. I recall watching Kibler once losing to frothings through Chillmaw's whirlwind effect killing patrons...

Haly

It's a reasonable "excuse", just not enough to offset the massive tempo swings that comes from dropping him turn 6.

Pooya

Turns out thinning your deck works so well it is worth putting those bad cards in and those bad cards aren't actually all that bad when you have divine favor. It was a difficult card to evaluate, probably why stats are so inflated. It wasn't even a card they primarily promoted, it was revealed in that facebook dump in the end, I don't think they expected it to be this strong.

----
Sideshow spelleater doesn't work in the brawl, this card needs some fixing.

Vanillalite

Turns out thinning your deck works so well it is worth putting those bad cards in and those bad cards aren't actually all that bad when you have divine favor. It was a difficult card to evaluate, probably why stats are so inflated. It wasn't even a card they primarily promoted, it was revealed in that facebook dump in the end, I don't think they expected it to be this strong.

----
Sideshow spelleater doesn't work in the brawl, this card needs some fixing.

This is the linchpin for Paly.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I'm not actually expecting Mysterious Challenger to get nerfed because it's very easy to just make a neutral card that punishes having multiple secrets.

Kezan Mystic is niche enough as it is. Inventing another tech card to counter ONE other card in the game is dumb. Tech cards have a hard enough time in this game already. Owl is probably the least niche tech card in the game and even it can't find its way into every deck.

The while concept behind Mad Scientist and MC is fundamentally broken. Ben Brode has even said these cards "cheat". They built intentionally OP cards in order to encourage secret play and that was and is a horrible idea.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Mad Scientist seems like the exact type of card that really limits future design. It's hard to add secrets in general to a new class and have them have their own 'identity' at a different mana. Like 5 mana secrets? Nope, not when a card pulls them into play for free.

Xanathus

They're actually just intentionally creating/leaving unbalanced super strong decks in order to sell expansions. Miracle/Undertaker wasn't nerfed until right before GVG came out because people wouldn't buy as many GVG packs. Patron wasn't nerfed until TGT to encourage people to buy BRM to play it, then they nerf it so that money is wasted. They now want Secret Paladin to be the "#1" deck so people buy TGT, and then they nerf it after the next expansion comes so people then have to buy that.

The greed has been so obvious ever since after Naxx released, the most pathetic part is that people still believe in their blatant lies and excuses every time. This is why I ALWAYS discourage people from giving Blizzard any real money for any Hearthstone related stuff.

ParityBit

I have a dumb question. When you guys start an arena match, how do you pick your class? You just pick the one you feel like playing? Also, after you draft your hand, do you study the cards so you know what the heck may come at some point? 90% of the cards I picked I have never used/know anything about.

Vanillalite

I have a dumb question. When you guys start an arena match, how do you pick your class? You just pick the one you feel like playing? Also, after you draft your hand, do you study the cards so you know what the heck may come at some point? 90% of the cards I picked I have never used/know anything about.

1) Pick a class you are gonna have the most fun with!

Gotta remember we are playing games for fun!

2) Pick a class you are familiar with.

Better chance of winning the better you know said class

3) Know the current Meta for Arena

Certain classes and certain cards might be better at Arena than Constructed. So if you have a couple of choices you like and are familiar then go with the one that is generally better in the current Arena meta

4) Use HearthArena

It's the go to site to help you draft cards. This is especially good if you are new to the game.

Dahbomb

I always pick from best to worst rank. Sometimes I pick based on dailies but that's pretty rare these days.

ViviOggi

I always pick Rogue if it's available, most diverse and fun class to me plus it's extremely strong in arena. Paladin/Mage depends, I often skip them despite their obvious consistency because they're so pedestrian to play, makes runs feel like a chore. I really like playing aggro-ish Warlock but it's become weaker with TGT unfortunately. Priest and Druid are alright, although the former has gotten less consistent with TGT as well. Usually avoid Hunter and Shaman, they're playable but have too high of a chance to draft an absolute stinker for my tastes.

I use a deck tracker, cba to remember all the garbage I've drafted.

Vanillalite

YouTube Gaming Update is out!

Live streaming from mobile is a go on Android!

Will try it out this evening streaming my shitty Hearth play so you can all watch and make fun of me! :p

sgjackson

There's an arena class tier list but as long as you're not picking Warrior you should be okay.

Me personally: I pick something non-Warrior I have a quest for, and if I have no quests I pick what I like the most out of what's left. I probably play a little more Priest and Warlock than I should and not enough Shaman, but you can't go wrong with Rogue, Mage, Paladin, or (to a slightly lesser degree) Druid when they pop up.

If you're not familiar with the current arena meta, HearthArena is a great tool to learn card values and what you should be thinking about as you construct an arena deck.

No other deck had the chat going so nuts as Patron. Blizzard just took the best part of HS tourneys away...

Because there is nothing like seeing the same deck every tourney, and then the world going crazy because someone added Harrison Jones to it, nah, it was boring to watch

Pooya

Everyone get in here will be replaced with none of your business. Then top deck into boom and faith in the light will be plenty exciting to watch I guess.

Raytow

Everyone get in here will be replaced with none of your business. Then top deck into boom and faith in the light will be plenty exciting to watch I guess.

Still better than "damn I'm at 40 hp better put 2 taunts and still die next turn"
Also is MC actually related to WC lore?

sibarraz

Banned
From personal experience, I had seen secret paladin almost always defeating grim patron, since with that deck you will win by turn 7, while grim needs to reach turn 7 (with thaurissan) to win

Haly

Excuse me DahBomb, but I'm pretty sure Brode knows more about design than any of us and I trust in his vision for Warsong Commander.

Pooya

Blizzard knows about design of any of their games better that players, it has been proven times and times again over the last decade so!

Kappa.

Haly

Joking aside there's only 2 reasons to run Warsong over Raid Leader and it's that Warsong has +1 HP and can buff itself...

So theoretically it's better than Raid Leader if they ever print a card that gave a lot of your guys charge and wait a fucking minute...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom