• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT4| The warsong has ended, please patron other decks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'm interested in seeing what a Commanderless Patron deck looks like. I imagine the value engine is still there, so it'd be a matter of finding the right win con. Maybe a more Control-ish version with the Patron suite instead of Shield Maiden/Block.

Pooya

Surrender is playing a patron deck now with belcher and shredders, Boom and Grom. It's still has patron, inner rage and ghouls but no warsong or frothing. I tried it for a bit, it's ok, could be tier 3/4 even, turn 5 patrons are still strong and can be hard to deal with, battle rage is still good etc.

Xanathus

Surrender is playing a patron deck now with belcher and shredders, Boom and Grom. It's still has patron, inner rage and ghouls but no warsong or frothing. I tried it for a bit, it's ok, could be tier 3/4 even, turn 5 patrons are still strong and can be hard to deal with, battle rage is still good etc.

Something I was thinking off would be an OTK worgen deck that uses Patrons + Battle Rage as draw mechanics + clearing, and Worgen+Inner Rage/Charge/Cruel Taskmaster/Rampage as a finisher, but the problem is that you can't really use Patrons for clearing if the spawned Patrons don't get charge.

Tacitus_

Something I was thinking off would be an OTK worgen deck that uses Patrons + Battle Rage as draw mechanics + clearing, and Worgen+Inner Rage/Charge/Cruel Taskmaster/Rampage as a finisher, but the problem is that you can't really use Patrons for clearing if the spawned Patrons don't get charge.

I've been entertaining that idea as well. I think patrons would be used like they are in the druid match up - "I just spawned 4+ patrons in a single turn, whatcha gonna do about it? or just pressure / absurd battle rages. Obviously weak vs strong aoes, but not that many classes / decks have regular 3+ dmg clears. Brawl, Hellfire/Shadowflame, Flamestrike and Lightbomb are the ones that come to my mind.

I made a couple rogue cards in the vein of what I would like to see in future expansions. Mainly, a 1 drop 1/3 that works, a 5 drop worth playing over azure drake, and a 2 mana weapon worth playing. Plus I wanted a minion that has battlecry and combo.

Nefarious_Agent.png

Kind of weak because it doesn't have the blow out capability of mana wyrm, and I considered making it buff off even opponent hero attacks. One alternative version could be +1 attack whenever the opponent hero takes damage.

hidden_dirge.png

Still kind of weak to play on curve, but at least okay when you play it off curve. I think rogue needs a really good weapon. This probably is not it. The other version I think is a 3/2 that gains 1 durability off the battlecry. Yes, a strictly better version of the fiery win axe. But rogues probably need it. Also it isn't THAT much stronger considering you need to sacrifice at least 1 mana worth of hero power value to get that 1 extra strike, making it really cost more than 2 mana in that scenario.

defias_bouncer.png

Great stats, 6 hp on a 5 drop is superb. But still not sure if it is even worth playing over azure drake, even in this state. It would be awesome if you could choose one of those, but get them both if you combo.

squidyj

nefarious agent seems kind of broken honestly.
turn 1 agent, turn 2 dagger up attack, kills any 2/3, shielded minibot, weak to haunted creeper which you probably attack face with both and then he does what? flametongue if he's shaman? you get to keep a 2/1 around and he more than likely has no board.

turn 3 attack, you have a 3/1 a million other things you can clear.

your worst case is the opponent responds with a 3/2 like a juggler but you're rogue, you can just backstab that shit and play some other dude.

all of this is without considering that you made the dude a pirate. and would add a lot to and benefit a lot from pirate synergy.

Pooya

ok, I'm closer to two legendary per week now lol and I open playable ones. TGT has been good to me, I just need Paletress, the twin sisters and Rhonin. Almost done with a set two months after release and I haven't even opened 70 packs yet and I din't buy the preorder lol. Now if I was remotely as lucky with my classic packs... I'm not sure how many Nat Pagles I have.

1445123941-1.jpg

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Great stats, 6 hp on a 5 drop is superb. But still not sure if it is even worth playing over azure drake, even in this state. It would be awesome if you could choose one of those, but get them both if you combo.

Are you kidding? Defias Assassin is insane. A 5 mana 3/6 that deals 2 damage is already extremely good That's arguably a much better stampeding kodo. Add card draw to that and it's insane.

I think Rogues need some poisons or applicable effects. Poisons are a huge part of the Rogue arsenal in WoW and yet there is only Deadly Poison and Tinker Oil, both are great cards.

nefarious agent seems kind of broken honestly.
turn 1 agent, turn 2 dagger up attack, kills any 2/3, shielded minibot, weak to haunted creeper which you probably attack face with both and then he does what? flametongue if he's shaman? you get to keep a 2/1 around and he more than likely has no board.

turn 3 attack, you have a 3/1 a million other things you can clear.

your worst case is the opponent responds with a 3/2 like a juggler but you're rogue, you can just backstab that shit and play some other dude.

all of this is without considering that you made the dude a pirate. and would add a lot to and benefit a lot from pirate synergy.

It lines up okay against minibot, but I'm not convinced that is a bad thing or makes it too good or even close to broken though.

Are you kidding? Defias Assassin is insane. A 5 mana 3/6 that deals 2 damage is already extremely good That's arguably a much better stampeding kodo. Add card draw to that and it's insane.

Better than a neutral card that sees almost no play? Lets stop the presses. On the other hand thunderbluff valiant is a 3/6 for 5 with quite a powerful effect, so the stats are not even unprecedented.

On the other hand, mysterious champion and dr. boom exist, both of which are better than this card.

If rogue never gets a 5 drop worth playing over azure drake, you severely limit their deck building capabilities. Line up azure drake + backstab alongside this and backstab. I don't even think you can say one is definitely better than the other. Azure drake can even draw into backstab, or a second backstab, etc..

Pooya

Speaking of a hypothetical rogue cards, would a spell that summons 3 southsea deckhands for 5 mana be OP? Consider that you can combo it with ship's cannon. I'm not sure why ship's cannon text even read 'summon' when you can't really summon pirates unless out of a shredder.

squidyj

It lines up okay against minibot, but I'm not convinced that is a bad thing or makes it too good or even close to broken though.

it activates off of rogue hero power, you don't have to invest cards into it you don't have to have cards in hand, you can gain a power without spending mana on the same turn. it's part of a tribe with some solid synergy cards.

Because it synergizes with hero power it's more reliable and more capable of contesting the board in the first 2-3 turns than mana wyrm is.

This card would be better than mana wyrm.

it activates off of rogue hero power, you don't have to invest cards into it you don't have to have cards in hand, you can gain a power without spending mana on the same turn. it's part of a tribe with some solid synergy cards.

Because it synergizes with hero power it's more reliable and more capable of contesting the board in the first 2-3 turns than mana wyrm is.

This card would be better than mana wyrm.

Mana wyrm can get a ridiculously high attack whereas this minion is limited to 1 growth per turn. It is not a better mana wyrm except in the early game. When drawn in the mid to late game its impact is likely very minimal. Mana wyrm can easily grow out of control even if it only survives a single turn in the mid to late game. That makes mana wyrm a more versatile card since it has a larger window of usage.

The reason it is a pirate card is to give rogues cards that enable more than a single type of deck. Something that every class should have, and more than a couple already do.

Pooya

ok Gormok is quite nice, already won two games with it. I'm surprised it's not seen often, it's sure better than Dark Iron Dwarf.

Envy lol. I opened three malganas legendary cards within two weeks. It was a lot of disappointment

If I was as lucky with other sets I would have had everything lol, but nah Nat Pagle Nat Pagle Nat Pagle.

I only opened two from GvG, Malorne and Gallywix. I went ahead and crafted Boom and Mal'Ganis and stopped opening GvG packs.

From TGT, I crafted Chillmaw and I opened Justicar, Varian, Wilfred, Saraad and Gormok. It's been pretty good.

ok Gormok is quite nice, already won two games with it.

Gormok is a card I considered to be a sleeper at release, something that would go under the radar but be very good.

I still need to get that one though. I haven't felt the need to craft it, but I definitely want it - for paladin mainly. Maybe worth it after patron gets nerfed for midrange.

Pooya

The swing is really strong, I can easily pull it off with imp gang boss and haunted creeper. Sent avenge on a minbot and killed it with Gormok nice and clean. Secret paly couldn't do anything after that.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
I am sick of seeing fucking rank 20 people with all epic and legendarys. There should be a check based on cards you own.

I bet those people have a lot of money to put into the game but not much time so they are probably low rank most of the time, it sucks being matched with them when you are rank 20 but what can you do, just take the loss and move on. Also i watched Starladder today and kolento got rekt
laugh.gif

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Finally hit an all time new ladder high. Rank 13. Finally.

TheMink

I'm pretty sure I've used up my RNG forever. I have gotten 5 legendarys in the last 4 packs ive opened.

Tavern Brawl Pack: Prophet Velen, Captain Greenskin
Arena Pack: Edis Darkbane (already had)
Arena Pack: Dr. Boom (already had)
Spectator Pack: Gromash

Dreavus

I was scrolling through the tempostorm "snapshot", and I'm wondering: do they get match data from somewhere or is the entire thing guesswork? The deck tiers week to week seem to be very detailed.

manhack

Looks like everyone but Reynad is going to be Rank 5 at the halfway mark of the Play it Cool Marathon.

They might even be legend by the end of this LOL.

I'm sitting at Rank 4 right now hoping to queue into these guys at some point.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Better than a neutral card that sees almost no play? Lets stop the presses. On the other hand thunderbluff valiant is a 3/6 for 5 with quite a powerful effect, so the stats are not even unprecedented.

Stampeding Kodo is borderline playable in Constructed. And Thunderbluff Valiant as a 3/6 for 5 does have quite a powerful effect, but your card is better. I feel as if you underestimate the power of card draw.

Dahbomb

Stormpike Commando am cry looking at Defias Assassin.

And Stampeding Kodo used to see play in Paladin some time ago. Combo with Aldor Peacekeeper. The card is certainly not at all that bad.

I was scrolling through the tempostorm "snapshot", and I'm wondering: do they get match data from somewhere or is the entire thing guesswork? The deck tiers week to week seem to be very detailed.

they base off of how well they feel the deck will do in tournaments and in ladder. doesnt mean you can't get legend w/ a tier 4 deck. Just will be harder.

Like handlock dropped hard b/c of the patron nerf since you won't expect to see patron on ladder or tournies

br3wnor

I'm now 14 ranked wins away from 500 on my warrior, starting to get real hyped. I've been legitimately playing this game for over 2 years, can't believe it took this long to hit the gold portrait.

Stampeding Kodo is borderline playable in Constructed. And Thunderbluff Valiant as a 3/6 for 5 does have quite a powerful effect, but your card is better. I feel as if you underestimate the power of card draw.

Thunderbluff valiant and defias assassin are about the same in power. DA gets the 2 damage battlecry guaranteed, but only the card draw if it is combo'd out. Valiant gets extra value off every hero power and for every totem it affects. In raw output, the valiant wins by far, since it is not unreasonable to get 2-3 totems buffed the turn it comes out.

Defias assasin, like I pointed out, is not even necessarily better than azure drake. You need to combo it out to get the card draw. Maybe you missed that fact. Combo on a 5 mana card is not exactly easy to do.

Dreavus

they base off of how well they feel the deck will do in tournaments and in ladder. doesnt mean you can't get legend w/ a tier 4 deck. Just will be harder.

Like handlock dropped hard b/c of the patron nerf since you won't expect to see patron on ladder or tournies

So it's all opinion and guess work? They make it look like they have access to stats. I guess not!

Seems weird that you would be able to tell if a deck falls a single spot or not based on assumptions alone.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
So it's all opinion and guess work? They make it look like they have access to stats. I guess not!

Seems weird that you would be able to tell if a deck falls a single spot or not based on assumptions alone.
For some of the deck types the authors keep personal stats that are used. That's all.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'm guessing they're all running their personal stat tracking software and then collating it at the end of the week. It's probably a moderately sized endeavor.

Or just pulling stuff out of their collective butts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom