• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT4| The warsong has ended, please patron other decks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockyrock

Did you forget about the 2 mana 2 overload Draw 2 card that was revealed?

I think people are really down on that card as being awful when it is certainly not great, but totally playable at a later turn.

its pretty bad in constructed IMO.

late game sure its fine but if you play that early/mid game you could just straight up lose.

imagine playing it on turn 4. next turn your opponent has 5 mana to work with and you have 3. Only card that would alleviate this is lavaburst but its situational and not a good card either.

Dahbomb

I think Dragon Warrior needs a couple stronger Dragons in the mid game to go to the next level.

Currently Dragon Warriors only really runs 3 dragons (Alex, Ysera and Nefarian). You really need 5-6 dragons to really get the synergy working.

At least that has been my experience running Dragon decks. 5-6 mid late game dragons is usually good enough to get your triggers going.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Or you could have a slow burn to finish off your totem-game.

If my deck is built to buff up my totems, I'm not going to shutoff totem generation, even as a last resort. Shaman doesn't have the kind of longevity Mages, Warriors and Priests have. Most of the totem cards seem to be midrange, so you want to be focused on making that power peak worthwhile. Let's say in the late game you turn on Charged Hammer (a longshot by itself). What happens? You're in topdeck mode and every totem card you topdeck just got that much worse because you can't make totems anymore. But at least you get Hunters' face clock.

No, I really think it was made with Doomhammer in mind, so likely for bursty-Shaman. As a cleanup tool, 2 damage to the face makes sense, but 4 turns to activate it without Doomhammer is kind of ass, especially with the all the Taunts running around. You can't Jones yourself so you're stuck with running Ooze. What other weapons do they have?

Stormforged - Bad
Powermace - Bad outside of mechs
Doomhammer - Only viable option

I mean I guess it'll be worthwhile if we reach that mythical "inspire meta" but everyone knows it's not happening outside of Arena given the current inspire offerings.

Charge Hammer takes too long to go active for my taste.

At least Shadowform is immediate and Auchenai Soulpriest is a body. Same for that Hunter guy.

I guess Blizzard is thinking Shamans will Charged Hammer T4 and Doomhammer T5.

Either way, Harrison Jones will love putting either weapon in the museum. It's a weak turn four play. Card is way too slow, IMO. Shadowform works immediately, is cheaper, and it never gets played.

That Warrior card should be fun in Dragon Warrior. Good card.

embalm

So is a Jousting Giants deck possible yet? Paladin has to be the front runner for the deck. We just have to figure out how to cut 1 and 2 drop minions from the deck.

Pepto

Banned
OMG found my first forbidden APM tech!

You can put creatures between spirit wolves:

hsscreen.png

Dahbomb

So is a Jousting Giants deck possible yet? Paladin has to be the front runner for the deck. We just have to figure out how to cut 1 and 2 drop minions from the deck.
That's basically just Holy Wrath Paladin deck with you replacing a couple of cards like Healbot with that new 5/5 Heal Joust Paladin card.

That deck runs like 4 giants, Alexstraza, Dr Balanced, Tirion. Early game you have spells, Muster for Battle, Truesilver for Control. The biggest problem is that it also runs Taunt activators like Sunfury/Defender of Argus plus Aldor Peacekeeprs and Ancient Watcher so it definitely has smaller creatures that can lose you Jousts as well.

Haly

Mech shaman can play it, using Doomhammer and Powermace as activators.

But even then it'll be no more than as a one-off, and it's certainly not as good as Fireguard or Piloted Golem, which is their 4 slot. It can replace Mechanical Yeti, maybe.

Opiate

I think Dragon Warrior needs a couple stronger Dragons in the mid game to go to the next level.

Currently Dragon Warriors only really runs 3 dragons (Alex, Ysera and Nefarian). You really need 5-6 dragons to really get the synergy working.

At least that has been my experience running Dragon decks. 5-6 mid late game dragons is usually good enough to get your triggers going.

I agree, but a possibility could be adding chromaggus, twilight drakes or even azure drake -- it's not worthless for Warrior, things like 2 damage whirlwinds or an extra damage on shield slam isn't silly.

G.ZZZ

Druid spell is more fuel for my miracle/mill druids, i approve.

Warrior charger is insane, even without the dragon bonus it's still an on-curve play, so GOOD. I'll try it in some more aggressive warrior lists.

Warlock card is really good. Hello fireblast in Hearthstone. Essentially free 4 damage spell GG.

Shaman weapon sucks.

Priest spell is nice, as well as the paladin horse.

Haly

I think Dragon Warrior was the more successful of the Dragon decks anyway.

Kibler is probably going to stream 24 hours of Dragon Warrior.

Dahbomb

I agree, but a possibility could be adding chromaggus, twilight drakes or even azure drake -- it's not worthless for Warrior, things like 2 damage whirlwinds or an extra damage on shield slam isn't silly.
My guess is that if you are playing that card then you are playing a more Midrange Control Dragon Deck. So it will be playing a bit faster than Control Warrior. So i guess those cards could fit in well with the new card.

You can have a huge turn with turn 2 Alex Champion, turn 3 Blackwing Technician, Twilight Drake or Death's Bite, Blackwing Corruptor.

V-Faction

Charged Hammer is good because you can set it and forget it. There's no Overload, it's a weapon if you need it, it's durability isn't crap, and you don't need more than 1 in a deck.

Compared to cards that are similar, like Fallen Hero, Steamwheedle Sniper, or Shadowform, it's way better because it's a weapon and a Deathrattle. It isn't dependent upon an activator existing on the board. Likewise, if it were a spell, it would feel like a waste, because you'd then need extra mana on top of the cost to activate it. Being a weapon, you get to attack instantly the turn you use it, and then either pocket it for the rest of the game, destroy it yourself with another weapon, or dish out damage where you want.

The only dumb thing is... introducing a card that gets rid of your main Totem button in an expansion where Totem synergy was the name of the game.

Flash Heal is a much smarter spell. And the cost!

That Druid spell... enabler cards like that are never not-good. I have a feeling we're going to see the rise of the Druids.

That Warrior card... a weird reminder that, hey, Dragons are a tribe, too! Don't forget us!

JesseZao

Anyone been having trouble logging in to battle.net today? I finally got in and when I changed accounts I couldn't go online again.

Ultrabum

Charged Hammer is good because you can set it and forget it. There's no Overload, it's a weapon if you need it, it's durability isn't crap, and you don't need more than 1 in a deck.

Compared to cards that are similar, like Fallen Hero, Steamwheedle Sniper, or Shadowform, it's way better because it's a weapon and a Deathrattle. It isn't dependent upon an activator existing on the board. Likewise, if it were a spell, it would feel like a waste, because you'd then need extra mana on top of the cost to activate it. Being a weapon, you get to attack instantly the turn you use it, and then either pocket it for the rest of the game, destroy it yourself with another weapon, or dish out damage where you want.

The only dumb thing is... introducing a card that gets rid of your main Totem button in an expansion where Totem synergy was the name of the game.

Flash Heal is a much smarter spell. And the cost!

That Druid spell... enabler cards like that are never not-good. I have a feeling we're going to see the rise of the Druids.

That Warrior card... a weird reminder that, hey, Dragons are a tribe, too! Don't forget us!

That hammer is gonna be good because one of the unknown cards is going to be muster for totems. 4 mana summon all totems + storm forged axe.

Haly

The durability... is a drawback, kind of like Rag's hero power in his brawl (which is where they got the idea from I believe).

It would be much better, for example, if it was 3 mana for 2/2.

4 guarantees that turn 3 is the earliest it can be set up and turn 7 the earliest it can "go online", without activators. Turn 4 is an important slot for a lot of decks, and to spend it on a 2 damage weapon that has a significant benefit after you pay off the investment in installmants is not a great card.

I mean these are the popular Turn 4 plays:

Piloted Golem (you do not want to attack this)
Death's Bite (not only is it double the damage in half the time, it's also critical towards activating Patron's death combo whereas Hammer is a slow burn)
Twilight Drake (you don't want to attack this)
Voidcaller (same as above)
Defender of Argus (you likely don't want to attack the targets it taunts)
Violet Teacher (it's going to take you 3 attacks to take this out)
Hunter's gaggle of low HP minions (Attacking that Wolf Rider is better than nothing but if you had played Fireguard you could trade up instead)

Charged Hammer will go face most of the time because Shaman already has trouble staunching the bleed in this environment, and a 4/x minion is just much better for going Face.

Opiate

There are a lot of dragon decks which are on the border of playability -- Dragon Warrior, Dragon Mage, and of course Dragon Paladin -- so even 1-2 solid cards for those deck archetypes could push them in to the competitive range. They aren't far off.

This is a really good card. Dragon Warrior hype.

Also love flash heal. Great flexibility with Auchenai

And won't have to borderline kill your Auchenai to clear a larger minion with Circle of Healing.

Will run it alongside Circle of healing similar to how we run Light of The Naaru now.

Rockyrock

Shaman doesnt need a deal 2 damage hero power to be good.

controlling board with minions is always going to be its strength.

Totem synergy will be insane with the new cards for everything we've seen so far. Why waste your time with the hammer? you'll always have minions on board to trade.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I played some Dragon Warrior because it's so close to standard control. In general, there's a gap for Warriors when it comes to two mana drops that give you control of the board. You mostly just stall out early game. Alexstraza's Champion looks really strong, particularly when it comes to dealing with problematic matchups like Mech Mage that thwart early weapon use.

Made some tweeks to that aggro Paladin deck I found online and winning like non stop now. Pretty much a cheese deck but hey... I'm only 3 weeks into the game! One trick pony! Wanted to learn a few new decks but no dust so I guess I'll just cheese it up until I can actually expand my game.

zoukka

I am already having nightmares about Warhorse Trainer in arena... yes Paladin obviously needed an insane 3-drop common to help them in arena :)

Opiate

Made some tweeks to that aggro Paladin deck I found online and winning like non stop now. Pretty much a cheese deck but hey... I'm only 3 weeks into the game! One trick pony! Wanted to learn a few new decks but no dust so I guess I'll just cheese it up until I can actually expand my game.

It's totally understandable. There are good reasons for Aggro to exist in the meta.

1) It keeps the ultra super duper slow decks from totally taking over the game. If there were no decks that could blow you up before turn 6, then there would be strong incentive to just play some crazy deck that had tons of 8 and 9 drops. If aggro decks don't exist, there is very little penalty or downside for a deck full of late game bombs.

2) As you noted, aggro decks tend to be cheaper, and it's important there be viable decks for newer players like yourself. It doesn't mean you should just never play agro again once you have good cards, it's just good you have SOME options. Another option that becomes viable pretty quickly is facehunter; you should consider that as your next option.

Pretty good cards revealed so far today. I am really hoping TGT manage to slow down the meta a lot. If I have to go through another 6 months of dealing with 90% aggro/rush decks on ladder or casual I might just give up hearthstone all together. Really am not enjoying dealing with all these bullshit decks where if you don't get your answer early you auto lose.

Dahbomb

There are a lot of dragon decks which are on the border of playability -- Dragon Warrior, Dragon Mage, and of course Dragon Paladin -- so even 1-2 solid cards for those deck archetypes could push them in to the competitive range. They aren't far off.
Dragon Warlock too which is Malylock.

IMO Alexstraza in that deck is super strong and I used that deck with Alex to get a lot of wins.

It's totally understandable. There are good reasons for Aggro to exist in the meta.

1) It keeps the ultra super duper slow decks from totally taking over the game. If there were no decks that could blow you up before turn 6, then there would be strong incentive to just play some crazy deck that had tons of 8 and 9 drops. If aggro decks don't exist, there is very little penalty or downside for a deck full of late game bombs.

2) As you noted, aggro decks tend to be cheaper, and it's important there be viable decks for newer players like yourself. It doesn't mean you should just never play agro again once you have good cards, it's just good you have SOME options. Another option that becomes viable pretty quickly is facehunter; you should consider that as your next option.

It just feels like a cheap win right now. I do however have some difficult matches or things I have to keep in mind so at least I am learning. For example Druid has that Swipe, Hunter has that hound shit, obviously mage has flame strike, hellfire etc...... so there are times not to load the entire board like I was doing last week and getting it destroyed with nothing left.

Hunter's secret is really annoying for aggro paladin too so have to watch who I hit him with when it's up. Then also learned when to hold onto the blessing (+3 attack) basically for lethal....

Opiate

It just feels like a cheap win right now. I do however have some difficult matches or things I have to keep in mind so at least I am learning. For example Druid has that Swipe, Hunter has that hound shit, obviously mage has flame strike, hellfire etc...... so there are times not to load the entire board like I was doing last week and getting it destroyed with nothing left.

It's not the most complicated, sure, but it still has choices to make.

The biggest difference between what you have now and what you can have 6 months from now if you keep playing is options. Your current deck may be very good, frankly. The difference is that it's your only good deck. Six months from now, you won't necessarily have better decks than the one you currently have, but you absolutely will have other equally good decks, be they slow mage decks or combo warrior decks or mid range shaman decks or whatever you want to move towards. The real fun of having all the cards isn't so much that suddenly you're incredibly good, the real fun is that you get tired of playing paladin after doing so for a week, and that's not a big deal, because you can just go play your freeze mage deck instead, or whatever else floats your boat.

It's not the most complicated, sure, but it still has choices to make.

The biggest difference between what you have now and what you can have 6 months from now if you keep playing is options. Your current deck may be very good, frankly. The difference is that it's your only good deck. Six months from now, you won't necessarily have better decks than the one you currently have, but you absolutely will have other equally good decks, be they slow mage decks or combo warrior decks or mid range shaman decks or whatever you want to move towards. The real fun of having all the cards isn't so much that suddenly you're incredibly good, the real fun is that you get tired of playing paladin after doing so for a week, and that's not a big deal, because you can just go play your freeze mage deck instead, or whatever else floats your boat.

Yep I know eventually it's going to get nerf. I've been playing League of Legends the last few years and everything that is OP gets nerf and meta constantly change so one trick pony are kind frowned upon.

Right now just seeing how high I can get on ladder for this first month. With League you need like at least a full year to go anywhere. Just surprise at the instant success on Hearthstone and not letting that get to my head.

Dahbomb

Nothing in that Aggro Paladin deck will get nerfed.

There's much bigger bull shit in the game than that.

If Aggro Paladin starts to get too big... Grim Patron decks will strike that shit right down. Freeze Mage too.

ViviOggi

Yep I know eventually it's going to get nerf. I've been playing League of Legends the last few years and everything that is OP gets nerf and meta constantly change so one trick pony are kind frowned upon.

Right now just seeing how high I can get on ladder for this first month. With League you need like at least a full year to go anywhere. Just surprise at the instant success on Hearthstone and not letting that get to my head.
Surprisingly Blizzard's Hearthstone team isn't even close to Riot's draconic and restrictive balance philosophy, in fact they've been actively avoiding nerfs for the past year despite there being multiple cards that'd more than deserve it. That's not what he was talking about at all.

Nothing in that Aggro Paladin deck will get nerfed.

There's much bigger bull shit in the game than that.

If Aggro Paladin starts to get too big... Grim Patron decks will strike that shit right down. Freeze Mage too.

I'm still in the teens (sitting at 11) so I haven't really played any good freeze mage yet, but yea Grim Patron is trouble. Ughh. but I feel like they are noticeable mistakes I make every game where maybe just maybe I would of won if played perfectly.

Surprisingly Blizzard's Hearthstone team isn't even close to Riot's draconic and restrictive balance philosophy, in fact they've been actively avoiding nerfs for the past year despite there being multiple cards that'd more than deserve it. That's not what he was talking about at all.

I guess they just make more OP cards? They have to do something right so that people don't just play the same ass cards/deck over for years. Dahbomb knows what I'm talking about with fighting games. Street fighter constantly updating so we get all kind of characters winning tournaments. Marvel 3 never update so it's the same ass characters every tournament.

P.S And I just beat a Grim Patron with Aggro Paladin. IN YO FACE VERGIL! I mean DAHBOMB!

Dahbomb

Marvel 3 has had more different characters winning EVO than pretty much any other fighting game ever made... ironically enough.

But yeah Hearthstone is constantly updated with new cards and some balance changes. Blizzard has pretty much stated that a Grim Patron nerf is coming to expect that. There are probably going to be some OP cards in the next set that might change up some old decks (even if it's 1-2 card replacements). Blizzard is certainly trying to slow down the meta so stuff like Aggro Paladin/Face Hunter isn't going to be as strong as it is now... maybe who knows.

Santiako

I'm still in the teens (sitting at 11) so I haven't really played any good freeze mage yet, but yea Grim Patron is trouble. Ughh. but I feel like they are noticeable mistakes I make every game where maybe just maybe I would of won if played perfectly.

I guess they just make more OP cards? They have to do something right so that people don't just play the same ass cards/deck over for years. Dahbomb knows what I'm talking about with fighting games. Street fighter constantly updating so we get all kind of characters winning tournaments. Marvel 3 never update so it's the same ass characters every tournament.

P.S And I just beat a Grim Patron with Aggro Paladin. IN YO FACE VERGIL! I mean DAHBOMB!

There's nothing inherently overpowered in Aggro Paladin, it's just pretty good right now. Maybe Muster for Battle, but that's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom