• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

The mana cost for that effect is pretty fair.

Holy Nova is 5 mana to deal 2 damage to all enemy characters and heal friendlies for 2.

Juggler + UTH is 5 mana to deal ~2 damage to all enemy minions.

So Juggler+UTH costs the same, is roughly as powerful (flexibility of 1/1 minions), and it takes two cards instead of one.

They aren't even comparable in power level. Knife juggler produces an on-going effect and body. It allows you to snowball from an early point in the game.

Battlecries happen when the minion enters play, but deathrattles resolve (and mirror entity procs) before the card is done resolving. Frostwolf Warlord wouldn't work if battlecries happened before the minion gets on the board.

Ah, alright. Thanks for the clarification. Bit of a shame then because it would of been cool to have a somewhat board clear followed up by a minion, like Dark Iron Skulker.

All my dreams are dead!

Alright, so I just finished my tax returns, and the returns are way higher than I expected (like 10x last year) since my wife quit working and we have a son now. I talked with my wife, and I told her we're each going to take $100 of it to spend on fun stuff we want, since we don't get to do much. I decided to spend my $100 on Hearthstone and Duelyst, split evenly.

So, with $50 going to Duelyst, and $50 going to Hearthstone, the $50 on Duelyst is easy to figure out - they don't have any expansions out yet (but have two prepped :-O), and Hearthstone has one coming out. Here's my Hearthstone situation right now:

-Almost no GvG or TGT packs aside from Arena, and I'm fine with that.
-All Naxx purchased, 3/4 LoE, 2/5 BRM.
-WotOG not yet pre-ordered.
-Just Classic packs from normal F2P model so far; I have 5 of the legendaries total.
-1015g saved up, and 500 dust still around after crafting the double Doomhammers for Aggro Shaman.

What should I put my $50 toward? It's tempting to pre-order WotOG since it basically has a $10 discount built in, but the foundation behind Classic is probably more essential, and I might get cards I need like Ragnaros as a result. If I pre-order WotOG, I will spend my ~1000g on Classic packs right now. If I spend $50 on Classic packs, I will put my ~1000g into WotOG when it comes out.

They aren't even comparable in power level. Knife juggler produces an on-going effect and body. It allows you to snowball from an early point in the game.
I was purely talking about the effect of the clear. As a stand-alone minion, it could use a power reduction. Maybe 3/3 for 3 would be fair. I was just making the case that juggling through its staple token combos isn't overpowered.

I'm reading through this thread about cards to nerf/buff in HS, and this post caught my eye:
http://www.hearthpwn.com/forums/hea...15-what-classic-cards-to-buff-nerf?page=3#c47

I can't disagree with any of that, and I would actually like to see Preparation change. The WoW effect of Preparation is to reset all of your cooldowns to zero so you can unload a ton of burst or stealth mid-combat for a second time. It's an incredible tool. Maybe in Hearthstone it could read: "Create copies of the last 2 spells you played."

Good for the combo style Rogues play, and synergizes with the value-oriented cards it has been getting recently.

Half the expansion left
All the nerfs
Likely 8 days until the expansion hits

I hate that they just dump everything at the end instead putting out more along the way

I was purely talking about the effect of the clear. As a stand-alone minion, it could use a power reduction. Maybe 3/3 for 3 would be fair. I was just making the case that juggling through its staple token combos isn't overpowered.

The coming nerfs aren't necessarily about OP or not. It's about power curve and knife juggler remains pretty much the strongest 2 mana cards in the game. Either they never print a card stronger than knife juggler or they do and we get the same old power creep and get clearly OP cards, just to change the meta around. Or they nerf knife juggler. It's always been a borderline broken card anyway.

Apathy

Half the expansion left
All the nerfs
Likely 8 days until the expansion hits

I hate that they just dump everything at the end instead putting out more along the way

Wonder with their stream later this week if that means they will slow down on reveals till then (we were averaging about 2 a day)

Dahbomb

The mana cost for that effect is pretty fair.

Holy Nova is 5 mana to deal 2 damage to all enemy characters and heal friendlies for 2.

Juggler + UTH is 5 mana to deal ~2 damage to all enemy minions.

So Juggler+UTH costs the same, is roughly as powerful (flexibility of 1/1 minions), and it takes two cards instead of one.
That's not the same at all.

Juggler and UTH are individually powerful and versatile cards that can be used earlier in the game to begin snowball or in conjunction with other cards better than Nova can.

In addition, UTH precision allows you to clear bigger minions on the board that aren't killed by juggles while rest go to face OR also kill Divine Shield and Deathrattle minions. And it creates a persistent must kill 3/2 body which Nova doesn't.

You should compare Powershot to Holy Nova.

gutshot

Alright, so I just finished my tax returns, and the returns are way higher than I expected (like 10x last year) since my wife quit working and we have a son now. I talked with my wife, and I told her we're each going to take $100 of it to spend on fun stuff we want, since we don't get to do much. I decided to spend my $100 on Hearthstone and Duelyst, split evenly.

So, with $50 going to Duelyst, and $50 going to Hearthstone, the $50 on Duelyst is easy to figure out - they don't have any expansions out yet (but have two prepped :-O), and Hearthstone has one coming out. Here's my Hearthstone situation right now:

-Almost no GvG or TGT packs aside from Arena, and I'm fine with that.
-All Naxx purchased, 3/4 LoE, 2/5 BRM.
-WotOG not yet pre-ordered.
-Just Classic packs from normal F2P model so far; I have 5 of the legendaries total.
-1015g saved up, and 500 dust still around after crafting the double Doomhammers for Aggro Shaman.

What should I put my $50 toward? It's tempting to pre-order WotOG since it basically has a $10 discount built in, but the foundation behind Classic is probably more essential, and I might get cards I need like Ragnaros as a result. If I pre-order WotOG, I will spend my ~1000g on Classic packs right now. If I spend $50 on Classic packs, I will put my ~1000g into WotOG when it comes out.

I would probably pre-order WoTOG and then spend all your gold on Classic packs. Pre-ordering is the best bang for your buck when it comes to buying packs. And you will be able to slowly acquire Classic packs over time with Spectate and Brawls. So it's not as necessary to spend real world money on them.

I would probably pre-order WoTOG and then spend all your gold on Classic packs. Pre-ordering is the best bang for your buck when it comes to buying packs. And you will be able to slowly acquire Classic packs over time with Spectate and Brawls. So it's not as necessary to spend real world money on them.

This would be my suggestion as well. Getting 10 extra packs with the pre-order is pretty legit.

Pooya

decided to play some contorl paladin savijz was playing to finish a 5 win paladin quest.

first game straight up good old handlock. next game some dragon reno control warrior. about 80 minutes later I finished 2 wins out of 5. yay.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I thought it was the other way around because of the Mad Scientist > Mirror Enity > Copy Minion interaction.

Or is that a bug?

Minions entering play sequence.

On Play Phase <- Minion enters board "Whenever you play..."
Battlecry Phase <- Battlecry resolves
After Play Phase <- Mirror Entity and similar secrets trigger "After you play..."

Death processing occurs at the end of each phase. So Mad Scientist dies at the end of the battlecry phase and puts mirror entity into play, which triggers immediately in the after play phase because you put Fire Elemental into play at the beginning of the sequence.

I imagine they'll want to announce and thoroughly explain each nerf as part of the stream on Thursday.

They can release the majority of the remaining cards on their Facebook page following the stream.

I doubt they'll talk about nerfs that much, if at all on stream. Maybe ben brode puts out one of his videos to explain the philosophy behind how the changes were decided and why. The stream itself is almost certainly going to be about promoting the new cards and expansion.

Dahbomb

Best part about card nerfs are the explanations that get turned into memes instantly.

"Soul of the card" and "fun and interactive game play" etc.

ViviOggi

Best part about card nerfs are the explanations that get turned into memes instantly.

"Soul of the card" and "fun and interactive game play" etc.

MQqidMT.gif

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
The nerfs are absolutely the biggest thing to be hyped about right now. Every nerf they've done since the game has been "final" or whatever has had massive consequences. Doing 10-12 of those at once has the potential to be absolutely bonkers. Putting that with standard format and a new expansion is almost inconceivable to imagine how it will all shake out.

On the other hand, that's why I always said they should have done the nerfs like a month and a half ago.

Alright so
I've been thinking of a card that seems really dumb (to be fair it probably is, I am by no means the sharpest tool in the shed)
The cost doesn't matter as much as what the card will do

Corrupted Homing Chicken (name is a work in progress)
1/1
Deathrattle: Your opponent draws 10 cards

"But having your opponent draw 10 cards is horrible!"
Is it?
It's almost always a guaranteed mill
And might be a hard counter to stuff like Handlock
Again
This is probably dumb
But can I get some opinions and/or comments about how dumb I am

Dahbomb

Alright so
I've been thinking of a card that seems really dumb (to be fair it probably is, I am by no means the sharpest tool in the shed)
The cost doesn't matter as much as what the card will do

Corrupted Homing Chicken (name is a work in progress)
1/1
Deathrattle: Your opponent draws 10 cards

"But having your opponent draw 10 cards is horrible!"
Is it?
It's almost always a guaranteed mill
And might be a hard counter to stuff like Handlock
Again
This is probably dumb
But can I get some opinions and/or comments about how dumb I am
This card is broken and will never get printed.

Hunter can play two of these, Feign of Death twice and instantly win the game. Or use that new Huhu card.

Rogue can copy this card's Deathrattle with Raptor Rogue or with that new epic then demolish your deck instantly.

Druid can Naturalized it on command.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Blizzard has to be (and has been) extremely careful with what cards they print that could be used for Mill. Personally I'd like the archetype to be slightly more viable than it is now. However in a card game with 30 card decks all it would take is one overpowered mill combo for this game to turn to complete shit.

Hunter can play two of these, Feign of Death twice and instantly win the game. Or use that new Huhu card.

Rogue can copy this card's Deathrattle with Raptor Rogue or with that new epic then demolish your deck instantly.

What if it was like 10 mana
Is it still game-breaking?

Dahbomb

Mill decks are on the opposite spectrum of face decks.

They are necessary to keep certain archetypes in check. Aggro decks limit the strength of combo decks and mill decks limit strength of greedy control decks. But neither archetype should be a dominant playstyle because of their non interactivity.

georly

I think like a reverse nat pagle would be alright. Like a 2 mana 4/4, millhouse style, at the start of your turn, your opponent draws 2 cards or something.

Dahbomb

That card would be stupid good in Aggro Paladin due to Divine Favor.

Aggro decks don't really care about your opponent drawing cards.

The card draw is also start of your turn so they don't get the benefit until a turn after.

ZealousD

Everybody dreams the mill dream but anytime a fatigue deck becomes viable it makes me want to punch a baby.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Mill and Fatigue aren't really the same archetype even if they have the same end goal. A Mill deck focuses on forced card draw and combos to drain the deck quickly, often forcing the opponent to discard valuable cards. A Fatigue deck is just ultra late-game control focusing on healing self and surviving while the opponent can't. Fatigue is much more tedious and drawn-out. They can both be very frustrating to lose to though.

Mill and Fatigue aren't really the same archetype even if they have the same end goal. A Mill deck focuses on forced card draw and combos to drain the deck quickly, often forcing the opponent to discard valuable cards. A Fatigue deck is just ultra late-game control focusing on healing self and surviving while the opponent can't. Fatigue is much more tedious and drawn-out. They can both be very frustrating to lose to though.

That's fair. I would rather face Mill over Fatigue, though, because I feel like Mill is actively trying to do something, and you CAN counter it in some ways (maximizing face damage, keeping your health full, not drawing cards, having cards in your deck that replenish your deck stock), but there's no real answer to Fatigue other than being more boring than your opponent.

ZealousD

People don't know what the hell they mean when they say Mill and fatigue in Hearthstone. In magic, the mill card forced discards but did it in order to make your opponent reach the end of your deck and win that way.

So this concept got split into two roads when talking about Hearthstone and so people use them interchangeably. It is a headache. People love to use Magic parlance in this game even if it isn't an exact fit.

That card would be stupid good in Aggro Paladin due to Divine Favor.

Aggro decks don't really care about your opponent drawing cards.

The card draw is also start of your turn so they don't get the benefit until a turn after.

I don't agree with the bolded. If you're playing an aggro deck, you're much better off if your opponent draws fewer cards because they're less likely to pull the answers they need to counter you. Board flood decks can fold if their opponent pulls a board clear, face decks can fizzle out if they draw healing/taunts. It's one thing if they spend their own mana and cards to draw cards because they're losing tempo and giving you time to find lethal, it's completely different to give them free cards. Like you mentioned, aggro Pally is the only deck that actually benefits from the opponent having more cards even if it does give them answers.

squidyj

I feel like I can practically guarantee that there will be a river of salty tears when they actually announce what they're doing.

And I will be there. With my bucket.

I feel like I can practically guarantee that there will be a river of salty tears when they actually announce what they're doing.

And I will be there. With my bucket.
Do you know things, or just have a hunch?

The only way I will be salty is if BGH isn't nerfed enough.

Death processing occurs at the end of each phase. So Mad Scientist dies at the end of the battlecry phase and puts mirror entity into play, which triggers immediately in the after play phase because you put Fire Elemental into play at the beginning of the sequence.

Thanks for the clarification but I'm sure I'll get it confused again.

I still see it as somewhat of a shame because I feel like you could do some complicated, yet cool, combos if it worked how I'd hoped. Still a cool card overall though.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
That's fair. I would rather face Mill over Fatigue, though, because I feel like Mill is actively trying to do something, and you CAN counter it in some ways (maximizing face damage, keeping your health full, not drawing cards, having cards in your deck that replenish your deck stock), but there's no real answer to Fatigue other than being more boring than your opponent.

While mill is actively going for something, I don't find there's much that can be done since it's so reliant on the mercy of what deck you happen to be queued up as. When it gets going you can't really do anything. Once a rogue starts ganging up coldlights you can't really extend on the board and push because prep - vanish kills everything and then mills you more, and the HP pool at the end even at 30 can just go away in one huge burst turn(especially with brann) while they added a bunch of additional cards to their deck which makes the symmetric draw not an issue.

It's a REALLY fun deck to play but awful to fight. You basically win if you're aggro, but I don't like the match being decided right at the matchup screen.

Top Bottom