• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

Levi

Banned
If the season ended tomorrow, my F2P, small collection EU account and my P2W, 95% complete Americas account would get roughly the same chest. I climb just as fast with homebrew cheap tempo decks with mostly basics and rares on EU as I do with meta control decks.

For the record, I'm 15 on EU and 12 on Americas. I play EU once every three days to clear quests and I play on Americas every day. I do play a lot of arena but I'm not infinite so I do my quests in ranked. All season I climb from 16 or 15 to 13 or 12 and then I drop back down to around 15. I'm guessing I'll have to play zoo or some other brain dead deck to actually rank up to 10 and get a better chest... and I just don't think it's worth it to give up on having fun just to get an extra gold card at the end of the season.

Magnus

I wouldn't be terribly surprised if we didn't get FULL dust value for nerfed cards. I'm well aware that a full dust refund is the precedent for nerfs, but we're talking about 20+ cards getting a nerf this time and they're cards that have done their duties for us for years. I wonder if it'll only be a full refund if you just crafted them recently, or a 2x craft refund or something. I don't know. I'd just be wary of assuming.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I wouldn't be terribly surprised if we didn't get FULL dust value for nerfed cards. I'm well aware that a full dust refund is the precedent for nerfs, but we're talking about 20+ cards getting a nerf this time and they're cards that have done their duties for us for years. I wonder if it'll only be a full refund if you just crafted them recently, or a 2x craft refund or something. I don't know. I'd just be wary of assuming.

They've definitely said you'll get full dust value. It's pretty much a policy.

Heropon

Got to 5000 gold, bought 5 card packs and it has reminded why I wasn't tempted to stop hoarding instead of buying a few packs from time to time. The only new card was a bad epic and the rares were cards I already have 4 copies of, and still no Blade Flurry. I'm so crafting two as soon as standard hits, to see how soon I get one from a pack.

bjaelke

Dahbomb

Do you think they will give full dust for cards rotating out of Standard?
Or is that too much to hope for
1430068474919.jpg

Hell no.

If it's 10-12, then the list is probably:
1) Alexstrasza - the main problem in Freeze Mage
2) Owl - we all know this one
3) Knife Juggler - spoken of in interviews; probably a stat nerf, not an ability nerf like people want
4) Keeper of the Grove - spoken of in interviews
5) Leper Gnome - spoken of in interviews
6) Druid Combo - who knows how, but something here
7) Big Game Hunter - and it better be the biggest nerf ever
8) Molten Giant (hopefully +2 to its cost or something small)
9) Mountain Giant (ditto here)
10) MAYBE: Ice Block
11) MAYBE: Divine Favor? Or maybe I just want it to get nerfed, haha.
12) Oh yeah, Mistress of Disguise is probable.
13) Thanks Nirolak, I completely forgot about Ancient of Lore.

I can't think of anything else that creates significant issues or is whined about a lot right now.

Dahbomb

3) Knife Juggler - spoken of in interviews; probably a stat nerf, not an ability nerf like people want
11) MAYBE: Innervate (only for creature spells?)
12) MAYBE: Divine Favor? Or maybe I just want it to get nerfed, haha.

I can't think of anything else that creates significant issues or is whined about a lot right now.
Ancient of Lore has been mentioned a few times. I don't think Innervate/Wild Growth will be changed.

Also we knew one or more Rogue cards will be nerfed. Same issue as Druid cards, too prevalent in all of their decks.

Would not be shocked if they nerfed Rockbiter + Doomhammer combo.

Ancient of Lore has been mentioned a few times.

Also we knew one or more Rogue cards will be nerfed. Same issue as Druid cards, too prevalent in all of their decks.

Would not be shocked if they nerfed Rockbiter + Doomhammer combo.
Yeah, here is my updated list:

11) MAYBE: Divine Favor? Or maybe I just want it to get nerfed, haha.
12) Oh yeah, Mistress of Disguise is probable.
13) Thanks Nirolak, I completely forgot about Ancient of Lore.

We haven't heard any mention of Rockbiter getting nerfed. I agree it makes sense, but there haven't been any hints of it. The dream nerf would be Tirion Fordring.

Dahbomb

They haven't mentioned Divine Favor yet but man so many people want that card nerfed (including myself, screw that card!).

Master of Disguise has to be getting nerfed especially with that new Dragon incoming.

FeD.nL

They haven't mentioned Divine Favor yet but man so many people want that card nerfed (including myself, screw that card!).

Master of Disguise has to be getting nerfed especially with that new Dragon incoming.

Yup, if they really intent on slowing down the meta there is no place for divine favor.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Vikefin Inquistor is proof enough to me that they won't nerf Divine Favor. Divine Favor is the only reason aggro murloc Paladin actually exists.

Dahbomb

Vikefin Inquistor is proof enough to me that they won't nerf Divine Favor. Divine Favor is the only reason aggro murloc Paladin actually exists.
Yeah that's why they don't even have Divine Favor in their deck recipe for Murloc Paladin...

My dream list would be:

1) BGH
2) Owl
3) Alexstrasza
4) Knife Juggler
5) Leper Gnome
6) Molten Giants (even though I love me some Handlock, this card has always given Blizzard issues)
7) Divine Favor
8) Druid Combo
9) Ancient of Lore
10) Preparation
11) Innervate
12) Rockbiter

Master of Disguise only because of future design necessity.

V-Faction

Maybe they'll mess around with Unleash the Hounds and Starving Buzzard for old times sake.

For me, the biggest offenders are Owl, BGH, and Druid combo.

ZealousD

Yeah that's why they don't even have Divine Favor in their deck recipe for Murloc Paladin...

Their recipie is not an aggro list, it's a garbagio midrange list. It also runs Finley which is anti-synergy with Vilefin Inquisitor.

Speaking of Huhu, what would happen if you used her Battlecry on something like Tentacle of N'Zoth pr Abomination? She shouldn't take any damage, right?

Just curious because while running a Control Hunter, I would use Explosive Sheep with Feign Death. 4 damage board clear that comes out in waves to deal with Deathrattles. Shouldn't be too much of an issue in Standard but it'd be cool to be able to combo like that and have a clean body on the board.

ZealousD

Speaking of Huhu, what would happen if you used her Battlecry on something like Tentacle of N'Zoth pr Abomination? She shouldn't take any damage, right?

She would take damage. Battlecries trigger after minions hit the board.

Apathy

The funny thing about knife juggler is that if it were on played minions rather than summoned minions it would solve so many problems people have with it. Then any of the bullshit implosion, muster, uth and future crap would not piss people off.

Tacitus_

If they're going to nerf giants, I hope they'll nerf Mountain Giant instead. Getting a turn 4 8/8 is much more problematic than getting cheap / free moltens when you're almost dead.

The funny thing about knife juggler is that if it were on played minions rather than summoned minions it would solve so many problems people have with it. Then any of the bullshit implosion, muster, uth and future crap would not piss people off.

It would also leave hunters without any board clear option.

Dahbomb

It would also leave hunters without any board clear option.
Nah son, they still have Acidmaw plus UTH combo.

Plus Explosive Shot, Explosive Trap, Powershot and Multishot.

Neither Midrange nor Face Hunter actually uses the Juggler + UTH combo for board clear... well that's not its primary function. It's mostly to gain a huge tempo swing over the opponent who is also flooding then go face with the dogs to put the other opponent on a clock.

Nah son, they still have Acidmaw plus UTH combo.

Plus Explosive Shot, Explosive Trap, Powershot and Multishot.

Neither Midrange nor Face Hunter actually uses the Juggler + UTH combo for board clear... well that's not its primary function. It's mostly to gain a huge tempo swing over the opponent who is also flooding then go face with the dogs to put the other opponent on a clock.
Lol, that 10 mana board clear.

Explosive Trap doesn't count since you can't control it. If it procced on minion attacks like Freezing Trap, I would agree with you. The rest of those spells only hit a few minions. They don't help in matchups where you need to clear 5-6 minions that all dropped in one turn.

I feel like Princess Huhuran could be 6-mana and still see play. Hell, as a 7-mana Neutral I bet she'd have seen some play. Good card. I like it and don't think it's OP, just good.

I mean, at 5 mana for a 6/5, she essentially passes the Vanilla test. Then she has a Beast tag, which is worth 0.5 mana I'd argue. Then she has the Deathrattle which has to be worth 1-mana if not 1.5.

Dahbomb

Explosive Trap doesn't count since you can't control it. If it procced on minion attacks like Freezing Trap, I would agree with you. The rest of those spells only hit a few minions. They don't help in matchups where you need to clear 5-6 minions that all dropped in one turn.
In Standard there's going to be far less of dropping 5-6 minions in one turn and if they do then those should be cleared by UTH by itself (like that Paladin card, countered completely by UTH for 2 less mana).

Powershot is in most cases is an earlier Consecration which is very good. Card is hella underrated and is used in actual Control Hunter lists (lol but still). Explosive Shot also isn't that bad, usually kills two minions but also is a Control Hunter only card. Multishot sucks though.

I forgot to mention but Hunter also has Wild Pyromancer plus Hunter's Mark combo (one damage AOE plus kills any big target) and Dreadscale plus Hunter's Mark (one damage AOE and kills a big threat). So there are certainly alternative options to clearing weenie minions outside of UTH.

Also Acidmaw plus Powershot, Wild Pyro and Dreadscale is also a board wipe so there are still multiple ways to get that off.

These cards don't see play because the archetype overall isn't good enough. The options are there and are arguably better than stuff like what Druid has but the other toolset isn't there (good taunts, good late game minions, good draws, good heals).

Apathy

UTH + Juggler isn't a board clear either. It's less consistent than an explosive trap. Oh hey, you needed all of those to go to minions but instead they went face, ok. so much for a board clear, because it's not.

UTH + Juggler isn't a board clear either. It's less consistent than an explosive trap. Oh hey, you needed all of those to go to minions but instead they went face, ok. so much for a board clear, because it's not.
UTH + Juggler does 2 damage per minion, but you get to control half of it, so it can be a more efficient Explosive Trap or Holy Nova in terms of clear power. If your opponent has 1 health minions, you get to keep board presence. If there are 3 health minions, you can gang up multiple dogs on them. I had my 5 minion board cleared by this combo just last night, and Dahbomb watched it happen.

Tacitus_

I thought it was the other way around because of the Mad Scientist > Mirror Enity > Copy Minion interaction.

Or is that a bug?

Battlecries happen when the minion enters play, but deathrattles resolve (and mirror entity procs) before the card is done resolving. Frostwolf Warlord wouldn't work if battlecries happened before the minion gets on the board.

Juggler acting like an arcane explosion is exactly why it needs to be nerfed in the first place.
The mana cost for that effect is pretty fair.

Holy Nova is 5 mana to deal 2 damage to all enemy characters and heal friendlies for 2.

Juggler + UTH is 5 mana to deal ~2 damage to all enemy minions.

So Juggler+UTH costs the same, is roughly as powerful (flexibility of 1/1 minions), and it takes two cards instead of one.

Ladekabel

The mana cost for that effect is pretty fair.

Holy Nova is 5 mana to deal 2 damage to all enemy characters and heal friendlies for 2.

Juggler + UTH is 5 mana to deal damage to all enemy faces

So Juggler+UTH costs the same, is roughly as powerful (flexibility of 1/1 minions), and it takes two cards instead of one.

Fixed. ;)

Top Bottom