• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT6| C'THUN for President! Why pick the lesser evil?

Oh what!? They made my reverse pagle!?

12998508_1100599049982862_4300290220066451319_n.jpg

Yup.

Dahbomb

Man so much to process.

Initial impression:

*Quite a lot of Deathrattle cards but nothing seems exceedingly broken. Best one I have seen is the Hunter 4 mana Deathrattle card which honestly is good enough to be played as a Beast.

*The Cthun cards are almost all very good and you can easily make a full Cthun deck with many of the classes. Priest Cthun looks pretty good at the moment.

*Paladin got a bunch of Divine Shield aggressive cards so I guess that's probably their playstyle going forward. No new Secret or good 2 drop though the 2 mana spell they got is really good.

*Twisted Worgen disgusts me....

*Shaman Evolve card seems kinda broken to me but we'll see. Think of it like a competitive spirit that you can play whenever and it also doubles as a heal function.

*Quite a lot of "balanced" version of older cards like a Balanced Velen's Chosen which kinda sucks to be honest.

*Warlock got a bunch of Zoo cards, no early game removal and no great Demon synergy cards. Only one new discard card. Another bad expansion for Warlock... looks like Warlock will be playing the same old stuff. It's possible that they can play a Cthun Lock style deck though.

* Rogue didn't get anything to cover their Blade Flurry loss.

*Some pretty interesting Neutrals like that card that can swap stats with a friendly minion.

ViviOggi

In all seriousness, if you're going to nerf essential class cards so you can print "Op as fuck" cards, you should probably release some of those Op cards in your upcoming expansion. Not make a class ass tier until the next expansion releases, whenever that is.
Lets be real Rogue's still won't get anything Op next expansion

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
In all seriousness, if you're going to nerf essential class cards so you can print "Op as fuck" cards, you should probably release some of those Op cards in your upcoming expansion. Not make a class ass tier until the next expansion releases, whenever that is.
I think that all classes got good cards, and some of the neutrals are legit good too.
As always: This is day -5 of the release so it's a bit early to talk about balance.

Still mad at the Knife Juggler nerf tho

Overall I am liking this expansion more than TGT.

But there's a severe class imbalance in this one.
It's a possibility but its a bit to early to tell. I mean, Blizz has been testing the expansion for months now
and we havent even played a single game of it... so yeah.

S H A M A N B O Y S

So weird that they talk about not being able to develop any new weapons for Rogue because of Blade Flurry but then they don't develop any after nerfing it. Feels like they created the cards before deciding on nerfs, which is really bad.

georly

http://www.hearthpwn.com/news/1374-whispers-of-the-old-gods-live-event-live-updates

embedding here for people just tuning in.

• No more Sorry emote
  • You will get a quest to complete two games in Standard which rewards you with 5 free old god packs
  • You will get another quest to complete seven games in Standard which rewards you with yet another 5 free old gods packs.

Priest

Rogue

Warrior

Druid

Hunter

Warlock

Shaman

Mage

Paladin

Neutral

Pooya

It's the same but even worse cycle, look at shaman, it was left for dead for a long time now they are printing broken cards left and right. Now rogue was already low tier, it got nerfed to irrelevancy on top. Maybe next year some time they realize they have to have every class on a playable field at least new ideas come in. the class is supposed to be glass cannon, now only the glass part is left and they keep printing really slow ass random cards instead. How does it make any sense. I don't think blizzard can explain now how rogue is supposed to play if you asked them. probably something dumb like you keep playing anub'arak until you win.

Owzers

That evolve spell is going to result in swearing. But if anything is broken with this expansion, it will only be two years until it's gone.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
So weird that they talk about not being able to develop any new weapons for Rogue because of Blade Flurry but then they don't develop any after nerfing it. Feels like they created the cards before deciding on nerfs, which is really bad.

They absolutely did though. Card design begins months and months in advance. The overall content of this expansion was likely decided upon in 2015. The nerfs, according to Blizzard, were still being finalized within the past couple weeks.

If you think about the way they are doing expansions now, it does kinda make sense to get the nerfs out of the way now. There is still an adventure and a full second expansion this year.

ViviOggi

I don't blizzard can explain now how rogue is supposed to play if you asked them. probably something dumb like you keep playing anub'arak until you win.

They showed that on stream though. Solid matchup vs Meme Priests who don't run a single answer, clearly the new cards are balanced for 3 Emperor ticks so the class doesn't become too oppressive. Imagine that showmatch with old Master of Disguise, literally concede on the spot

I really like the Twin Emperor card, that's a lot of tempo for 7 mana and is a great way to delay the game until you can get your C'Thun out.
Sleeper card tbh

StayDead

I don't really care if Emporers are good or not, I'm just happy it exists because the Twins were one of the coolest fights in AQ!

So which classes got seemingly fucked the hardest? Rogue for sure, I feel like Priest and Warrior lost more than they gained as well. Purely in terms of class cards that is.

Cat Party

Priest seems like the theoretical favorite for C'thun, right? Immense healing ability to let you survive long enough for the KO.

Also, is this the first set with no secrets?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
The corrupted Nat looks like the worst Legendary Possible. It actually helps your opponent. I guess its something in a Mill Deck, but its horrible if given from some RNG effect.

Dahbomb

The corrupted Nat looks like the worst Legendary Possible. It actually helps your opponent. I guess its something in a Mill Deck, but its horrible if given from some RNG effect.
Divine Favor aggressive Paladin deck.

Also staple in Mill decks. The card isn't that bad.

ViviOggi

So which classes got seemingly fucked the hardest? Rogue for sure, I feel like Priest and Warrior lost more than they gained as well. Purely in terms of class cards that is.

Yeah Rogue is #1 most shat on class by a country mile, Priest got pretty rekt as well, legit wouldn't trust my eyes when they revealed that joke Velen's. MAYBE you can do something with C'Thun, MAYBE Dragon Priest but it seems like C'Thun decks will do the same thing Dragon Priest does, just better.

Warrior should be more or less alright, in control/C'Thun midrange-control form only of course as they managed to kill Patron twice now. And its second incarnation wasn't even an actual combo deck.

Cat Party

Yup, stats are terrible for that effect. Only useful in fatigue, so you actually would want it from Elise.

georly

Ok, done editing, I think. Let me know if I missed any. Sorry they're so huge, even quoted.

Edit: oops, that 0 mana +2/+2 druid isn't a card, it's part of the choose.

Pooya

Priest without lightbomb looked really bad, like there is no way frodan could deal with board like that. single target removals aren't going to cut it. You have to spend multiple board clears, like excavated and holy nova, multi turns. At least you have a lot of heals now, lol. yeah it's a problem.

Warrior could be ok, we have to try.

Druid is looking pretty good even with nerfs, damn.

warlock, hunter and palain are looking ok.

shaman is nuts.

Inversive

so whats the deal with shaman guys? Doesn't look like a well balanced class after these reveals. But then again it's Blizzard we are talking about, they can't balance to save their lives.

Dahbomb

Rogue easily most nerfed class going into this expansion although a lot of their strong class cards remain so they can probably play some aggressive tempo deck to eek out some wins.

I think between Dragon Priest, Control Priest and Cthun Priest... Priest will probably be alright. Would probably not be that strong but they will have options.

Warrior can still play Control and Grim Patron deck plus has option of Cthun. Around the same as Priest to be honest, worse but not unusable.

Paladin got hit pretty hard too, no one is really talking about it. Aside from getting some Divine minion synergy, they didn't really get any super strong cards. Definitely nerfed for Arena. Though I wouldn't be shocked if Paladin ends up playing Divine Shield Aggro Secret Paladin or something like that.

Hunter will be fine, Face Hunter will still work and so will Midrange Hunter. I think Beast Hunter might be the way to go now. Animal Companion is easily top 5 card in the game at the moment.

Mage has Freeze Mage, they are fine.

Warlock got a bunch of aggro/token synergy BS cards so Zoolock will still be playable and Handlock is still Handlock/Renolock though significantly worse. Nothing new though so the class is going to feel pretty stagnant. But never underestimate that hero power, they will probably make some neutral card work because of it.

Druid got hit hard too but I think they will be fine between aggro Token Druid and Midrange Beast Druid. Enough Beasts in their arsenal to make it work along with that new buff card. Maybe Ramp Druid becomes a thing but the control options for Druid are really garbage. Their strong LoE/TGT cards will end up carrying them.

Shaman is by far the most buffed class in this expansion. Same thing happened with TGT though but I think this time it HAS to stick. Way too many good/great cards to ignore, one Shaman deck has to end up being top 5 whether its aggro or midrange.

Pooya

I just look at the c'thun cards other got and then the rogue one, really? why...

like compare that taunt druid has with this. Rogue could use something like that that protects your face...

Crosseyes

Banned
so whats the deal with shaman guys? Doesn't look like a well balanced class after these reveals. But then again it's Blizzard we are talking about, they can't balance to save their lives.
I think there are a couple things keeping it in check. One thing is that every most insane minion they got is a 4 drop so you can't play all of them. Second is that the evolution theme is anti synergy with overload minions so if they evolve something like totem golem it'll be really closer to a recombob than a +1 to cost.

Dahbomb

I just look at the c'thun cards other got and then the rogue one, really? why...

like compare that taunt druid has with this. Rogue could use something like that that protects your face...
That Rogue Cthun card is actually pretty good IF the meta slows down.

If you kill a big minion with that then Cthun could just outright kill the opponent.

Top Bottom