• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT9| Our raid wiped in Icecrown Citadel

Bunga

Is there anywhere I can watch toast's climb to legend with the f2p hunter deck? It's not on his YouTube channel.

I clearly suck at the deck as I can't even get out of rank 20 today. I'm losing to all sorts of homemade nonsense such as a Hunter running prince malchezar. I don't think I'm making that many miss plays and I see my opponents make them and I still lose.

I just don't understand how he can have an over 75‰ win rate when I have probably a 30%. It's like I'm playing a different game. I've gone probably 1—5 the last day and I think maybe one of those I should have won.

Maybe I should just not play this game. I really enjoy the actual games but the constant failure is hard to take.

Not sure about the location of his climb to Legend, sorry.

Could it be that the deck just doesn't fit well with you? Personally, there are some decks/classes that I just can't seem to pilot very well, e.g. combo decks/Rogue in general. My preferred play style seems to lend itself to curving out/tempo decks on the whole.

You're also playing quite near the start of the new season which means that you'll likely still be facing players from higher up the ladder last season.

Whilst it's tempting to give up when going through a period like this (I have spectacularly rage quit in the past), take a break if you're getting tilted/salty and come back it with a fresh mind.

Quest rogue is like everything I hate about Hearthstone in one deck. I'm just sitting around not doing shit while my opponent ropes bouncing stuff back and fourth.

I'm at the point where I just concede when they play the quest card. It's not fun. My deck is also not quick enough to keep up anyway.

Not sure about the location of his climb to Legend, sorry.

Could it be that the deck just doesn't fit well with you? Personally, there are some decks/classes that I just can't seem to pilot very well, e.g. combo decks/Rogue in general. My preferred play style seems to lend itself to curving out/tempo decks on the whole.

You're also playing quite near the start of the new season which means that you'll likely still be facing players from higher up the ladder last season.

Whilst it's tempting to give up when going through a period like this (I have spectacularly rage quit in the past), take a break if you're getting tilted/salty and come back it with a fresh mind.

Thanks, I have only been running the deck for a few days so still need to learn it. I haven't played as hunter in ages. I just get disappointed with myself that I need to learn a deck to get out of 20. However, I've probably just had a bad run the last day or so and will get a win streak later.

I think maybe reading this thread doesn't help in some respects, I see you all hitting 10 seemingly easily and wonder why i can't do that.

Thanks, I have only been running the deck for a few days so still need to learn it. I haven't played as hunter in ages. I just get disappointed with myself that I need to learn a deck to get out of 20. However, I've probably just had a bad run the last day or so and will get a win streak later.

I think maybe reading this thread doesn't help in some respects, I see you all hitting 10 seemingly easily and wonder why i can't do that.

well how can this thread help at all if you don't post decklists and say what you're losing to or posting replays or something? the 'little changes' in a deck make a big difference in playstyle.

for instance i use trackings when i play hunter, while most don't. i do that knowing that late game i have a high change of being able to cherry pick my next card, knowing it will cost me 1 mana, but i play very beast synergistic because of this because that's 2 times in the game where i can cherry pick a houndmaster or razormaw or whatnot. i also use hunters mark and i know against priest i need to save that, but against pally i would drop it. but picking tracking is what allows me to use hunters mark, because i know if it's a dead draw late game, good chance i can go over it with tracking, without any card draw hunters mark might be more risky and not as worth playing. that's how you need to make the 'little changes'

but in HS knowing what your opponent is trying to do is just as important as knowing your gameplan so you have to learn why certain classes are running over you and trying to see how you can play to stop that

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

If you can, start using Hearthstone Deck Tracker so you can link us to replays.

Other than that, you're not being really specific about the problems you are having in the game. We literally don't know if you're just having a run of insanely bad luck, or if you're making correctable mistakes, because you haven't given a lot of detail.

Maybe you want to add somebody as a Hearthstone friend so they can spectate your games?

Bunga

Think you should cut yourself a break dude. Bear in mind that you're on a niche thread for the game and that the people in this thread know and understand things like "the meta", keep up to speed with the professional/esports scene and have likely been playing some time. In other words, they're invested players who take more than a casual interest in the game and have done for a while (in most cases).

The stats are old now but I don't believe they've changed that drastically (someone correct me if I'm wrong) but anyone higher than Rank 15 upwards generally speaking is in the top 25% of the players in the world, with 75% falling between rank 25-15. That should hopefully make you feel better that you're not the only one outside Rank 10!!

Think you should cut yourself a break dude. Bear in mind that you're on a niche thread for the game and that the people in this thread know and understand things like "the meta", keep up to speed with the professional/esports scene and have likely been playing some time. In other words, they're invested players who take more than a casual interest in the game and have done for a while (in most cases).

The stats are old now but I don't believe they've changed that drastically (someone correct me if I'm wrong) but anyone higher than Rank 15 upwards generally speaking is in the top 25% of the players in the world, with 75% falling between rank 25-15. That should hopefully make you feel better that you're not the only one outside Rank 10!!

I literally just had lethal in a game and then lost due to a disconnect! I'm trying not to worry about it.

I see what you're saying but I follow the meta, watch lots of competitive play, have been playing at least three games a day for a year (on and off, usually week days on the bus) and still struggle to get higher than about 17. Last month I hit 14 on the last day of the season running quest rogue but it was a struggle.

I'd love to be able to post replays but I'm on my phone only so can't do that. I'll put my deck list up at some point but it's basically toast's cheap one.

wiibomb

I literally just had lethal in a game and then lost due to a disconnect! I'm trying not to worry about it.

I see what you're saying but I follow the meta, watch lots of competitive play, have been playing at least three games a day for a year (on and off, usually week days on the bus) and still struggle to get higher than about 17. Last month I hit 14 on the last day of the season running quest rogue but it was a struggle.

I'd love to be able to post replays but I'm on my phone only so can't do that. I'll put my deck list up at some point but it's basically toast's cheap one.

when did you start playing HS?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
This is the best, more balanced meta. Nothing is absurdly ahead of anything else. About the only bad thing about is that Warlock is the worst class but some class has to be at the bottom.

Probably should cherish it as its the start of the rotation... when we get more cards then aggro will become more efficient like it always does. Even now aggro is still pretty strong and relevant like it always is.

I do think the meta is a bit boring but that's just the new expansion flavor wearing off and there isn't a boogeyman deck to complain about which keeps things interesting. Even in this thread we have much fewer complaints about bullshit deck. There is a theory than in competitive games it's good to have overpowered stuff that people can actively root against and it builds storylines (ie. underdogs, villains). I don't subscribe to that ideology but I can see how some might.
* Flashbacks of Yun in SSFIV AE*

wiibomb

A few months before old gods dropped, probably March last year.

this is weird, how is your collection going? I started at the same time and I never cared for ranked until last month when I hit legend for the first time, but I always got easily to rank 15-10

with that amount of time you should have a general knowledge of how all classes work and all weaknesses of you deck and the opponents.

I think the best option here is to get some replays from you to check the decisions you are making each turn.

this is weird, how is your collection going? I started at the same time and I never cared for ranked until last month when I hit legend for the first time, but I always got easily to rank 15-10

with that amount of time you should have a general knowledge of how all classes work and all weaknesses of you deck and the opponents.

I think the best option here is to get some replays from you to check the decisions you are making each turn.

This is what I mean, thanks for making me feel better dude! Haha. It's never easy for me to make 15, I've only done it a couple of times and my highest is 13. I go on winning streaks and then losing streaks around 17 and I don't know how other people do it! My collection is ok, not great but I make sure I run an OK deck most of the time. I'm f2p though.

I feel I do have a general idea of the classes and know what to play around but lots of games just don't feel winnable. Got example I lost against a taunt warrior who coined out brawl on turn 4 as my board was great. I then couldn't get tempo back as I only had two cards in hand. Should I have played around brawl on turn 4? Seems anything I could have done would have lead to that brawl and a loss.

I can't post replays I'm on my phone only.

wiibomb

This is what I mean, thanks for making me feel better dude! Haha. It's never easy for me to make 15, I've only done it a couple of times and my highest is 13. I go on winning streaks and then losing streaks around 17 and I don't know how other people do it! My collection is ok, not great but I make sure I run an OK deck most of the time. I'm f2p though.

I feel I do have a general idea of the classes and know what to play around but lots of games just don't feel winnable. Got example I lost against a taunt warrior who coined out brawl on turn 4 as my board was great. I then couldn't get tempo back as I only had two cards in hand. Should I have played around brawl on turn 4? Seems anything I could have done would have lead to that brawl and a loss.

I can't post replays I'm on my phone only.

there are not much ways we can know if the board you had was enough, because yeah, against a taunt warrior is essential to play around brawl and sleep with the fishes, but there are times when there is a necessity of playing a bigger board at expense of the hand.

may be play on PC sometime once and post some of your replays over here to check them

there are not much ways we can know if the board you had was enough, because yeah, against a taunt warrior is essential to play around brawl and sleep with the fishes, but there are times when there is a necessity of playing a bigger board at expense of the hand.

may be play on PC sometime once and post some of your replays over here to check them

It seems to me that he would have played the brawl at some point anyway and won as I had no hand left. It's hard to top deck a win as a hunter against a taunt Warrior. I honestly don't understand how I could have won.

I don't get how you can rank easily when you frequently get queued into a hard counter for your deck, or your opening hand is just garbage and have to almost pass the first few turns. This happens to me once every three or four games, thus ending any win streak I go on. How does a 'good' player win with a terrible open or against a deck that counters theirs? There is only so much you can do with the cards!

I don't have access to a PC that runs hearthstone. I have a chromebook.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Played four wild games today, three were against mill rogue. I was playing quest rogue and it went really really poorly for them.

Quest rogue is almost as unfun to play as it is to play against.

Grief.exe

I have so many tech cards in my Control (Burn) Mage Deck.

There are just so many weak cards like Courier and Book that are fairly easy to cut, in order to include cards that are guaranteed to swing the game in certain matchups.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

There are just so many weak cards like Courier and Book that are fairly easy to cut, in order to include cards that are guaranteed to swing the game in certain matchups.

Sometimes it doesn't matter if it is even a good addition. If you hate a deck enough, the fun you get out of using hate cards against it is worth it even if it makes your deck objectively worse. Eater of secrets is an example of a card that generally sucks ass but is fun to run.

I'm also starting to think keeping patches might be correct in wild quest rogue against slower decks.

Grief.exe

Sometimes it doesn't matter if it is even a good addition. If you hate a deck enough, the fun you get out of using hate cards against it is worth it even if it makes your deck objectively worse. Eater of secrets is an example of a card that generally sucks ass but is fun to run.

I'm also starting to think keeping patches might be correct in wild quest rogue against slower decks.

I have Ooze, Poly, and Volcanic. I'm also trying out Doomsayer and Frost Nova and it seems to be working out very well so far.

I've seen people running Counter Spell instead of Ice Barrier now too.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member

Book is such a key card sometimes. I mean it isn't called Paveling Book because he cut it from those decks.

That said, there is also definitely room for tech cards in every deck. Frequently the stuff that shows up on the meta snapshots and whatnot end up having already made those tech choices and they aren't frequently explained. I wonder how many people are actively thinking about the tech choices in their ladder decks vs blindly copying what they see on streams and the internet. Knowing when to tech in stuff like MCT, Ooze(s), & whatnot is really important for climbing the ladder.

bunbun777

drafted an arena run with 3 vicious fledglings, cabalist tome, meteor, 2 fireballs, elemental synergy, firelands portal, Elise trailblazer...2 and 0 so far whenever I get these killer drafts I get over excited and something ridiculous happens (3x)

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I mean it's very silly that they removed them in the first place. The adventures were and still are some of the best content in the game. It's easily the most fun stuff the game has. The fact that they won't sell you content when people are willing to pay for it is bizarre.

TankUP

Maybe if they didn't have huge customer service issues where people bought hundreds of classic packs instead of GvG packs when that expansion came out, they wouldn't have removed the wild content from the store. My theory is they didn't want to deal with the customer service hassles of new players joining the game and spending a bunch of money on content they can't use in the game's primary mode.

It also doesn't hurt that by taking it off the store they've raised demand -- the "Disney Vault" method of marketing.

They've been claiming that for a while.
Basically this.

Remember, Team 5 is a small independent team who certainly doesn't have the resources to do anything at a reasonable pace/expectance rate.

Like, it's been 3+ years since the game went live and we just got deck importing. They can't even find the time to communicate with the community even compared to the other Blizzard Teams despite raking in money hand over fist. They don't address balance issues(It took them what, 3 months to hit Patron Warrior for "being unfun?" There's no reason that half the quests should be straight up useless to open, let alone the issues in the classic set wrt Class Disparity), bugs(like the game constantly crashing on exit on PC), features(why can't we buy old card packs? Why is there no official tournament mode? ), Economy(Arena Rewards are a mess of RNG, Amount of dust needed to Craft cards vs how much you get from DEing is wonky, etc).

Team 5 is probably the worst communicating Team at Blizzard that is making new content continuously, and the only reason why they don't have to deal with this is that Hearthstone was one of the first Digital CCGs to gain a foothold. They've handled the game in a super pisspoor way.

About to take part in a restricted rarity wild tournament at work just for bragging rights. No epics or legendaries; conquest format. Have a burn mage and face hunter built; looking for suggestions to tighten up the decks and any ideas for a third. Thought i'd try mill for the third but I dont think that is doable without some of the legendaries. Suggestions welcome (these are first drafts)

Hunter
2x Abusive Sergeant
2x Alley Cat
2x Fiery Bat
1x Hunters Mark
2x Jeweled Macaw
2x Raptor Hatchling
2x Crackling Razormaw
2x Glaivezooka
2x Kindly Grandmother (not sold on this making it in)
2x Knife Juggler
2x Quick Shot
2x Animal Companion
2x Kill Command
2x Unleash the hounds
2x Vicious Fledgling
1x Savannah Highmane

Mage:
2x Mana Wyrm
2x Babbling Book
2x Flamecannon
2x Frostbolt
2x Shimmering Tempest
2x Snowchugger (this should maybe be a spell damage dude)
2x Sorcerer's Apprentice
2x Unstable Portal
2x Flamewalker
2x Forgotten Torch
2x Spellslinger
2x Fireball
2x Ethereal conjurer
2x Firelands Portal
2x Flamestrike

Ketch

About to take part in a restricted rarity wild tournament at work just for bragging rights. No epics or legendaries; conquest format. Have a burn mage and face hunter built; looking for suggestions to tighten up the decks and any ideas for a third. Thought i'd try mill for the third but I dont think that is doable without some of the legendaries. Suggestions welcome (these are first drafts)

Hunter
2x Abusive Sergeant
2x Alley Cat
2x Fiery Bat
1x Hunters Mark
2x Jeweled Macaw
2x Raptor Hatchling
2x Crackling Razormaw
2x Glaivezooka
2x Kindly Grandmother (not sold on this making it in)
2x Knife Juggler
2x Quick Shot
2x Animal Companion
2x Kill Command
2x Unleash the hounds
2x Vicious Fledgling
1x Savannah Highmane

Mage:
2x Mana Wyrm
2x Babbling Book
2x Flamecannon
2x Frostbolt
2x Shimmering Tempest
2x Snowchugger (this should maybe be a spell damage dude)
2x Sorcerer's Apprentice
2x Unstable Portal
2x Flamewalker
2x Forgotten Torch
2x Spellslinger
2x Fireball
2x Ethereal conjurer
2x Firelands Portal
2x Flamestrike

You should do zoo lock for the third deck

I won my first two matches this morning but it dawned on me that I take don't know how to play midrange hunter very well. I struggle with knowing when to clear board or go face. It's a crap shoot and I'm pretty much just guessing.

Blizzard

Banned
I just had a pirate warrior mirror with 0 weapons in 12 cards, just an Upgrade card. I did a full mulligan hoping for the axe, too. I got crushed. :(

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I just had a pirate warrior mirror with 0 weapons in 12 cards, just an Upgrade card. I did a full mulligan hoping for the axe, too. I got crushed. :(

yeah, every once in a while you just don't draw anything you need

those games are frustrating

wiibomb

this is... nothing...

I mean, they have been saying this since I started playing this game, nothing new, team 5 needs years to finally make a decision, that is the only horrible gripe I have for this game, every change needs months and months to make. they still haven't fixed arena or ladder, and they have been saying so since I started.

I wish this team would have the efficiency of the Overwatch team.

Lots of my games are unwinnable with the deck I'm running. I'm convinced. I was just massively ahead of a priest and he plops out yesera and alexstraza and I end up losing. Nothing I could do.

How can I climb the ladder when constantly faced with unwinnable matches, hard counters and poor opening hands? This isn't a rhetorical question, I'm actually asking this. I know I didn't play poorly and I'm still losing.

Lots of my games are unwinnable with the deck I'm running. I'm convinced. I was just massively ahead of a priest and he plops out yesera and alexstraza and I end up losing. Nothing I could do.

How can I climb the ladder when constantly faced with unwinnable matches, hard counters and poor opening hands? This isn't a rhetorical question, I'm actually asking this. I know I didn't play poorly and I'm still losing.
Have you ever tracked your matches with replay or something and posted them here? You are going to lose no matter what sometimes, but just saying "I keep losing" doesn't give us information to give you any sort of personalized help.

Things to look out for with priests: try to avoid giving them free draws with cleric or easy clears with potion of madness. 4 attack minions are the sweet spot, do if you run buff cards it might be worth keeping that in mind. Don't play too hard into turn 5 or 6 (or earlier with coin) becayse of nova and dragonfire potion. Divine spirit / inner fire etc.

But that's the generic advice we can offer. If your momemt-to-moment decisions need some fine tuning then tracking will make it easier to help you.

Have you watched Trump's tutorials? They can be helpful with base concepts even for someone that has played a lot.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member

Assuming you're still playing midrange hunter, there are lots of reasons you might have lost games and created an unwinnable situation for yourself. The deck is very oriented toward the midgame and by the turns that Alex and Ysera is being played (8-9), you are starting to run out of steam. So if you haven't been pushing the big threats on previous turns, then you're going to run out of steam as a control deck pushes outs its big threats in the later turns. In some cases, there might be nothing you can do, you may have played perfectly and just lost because the other deck was lined up exactly right. But most of the time what is needed is to learn the matchup and apply your pressure either a bit earlier or later. You aren't going to win in the long game against certain decks, it just isn't possible. So you have to aim to close out earlier. Similarly, you can sustain beyond the reach of some earlier game decks and if you play defensively they will run out of steam and you will win in the late game.

wiibomb

I played yesterday a MR hunter on ladder that hero powered on second turn.

later I found that he had a crackling razormaw since the start and decided to play it on turn 5, because he was holding on the value.

He died on turn 5.

That is a very common mistake, they play for value when the tempo is completely gone. MR hunter needs to have a good tempo on board or else they just lose when the bigger threats from the opponent come into play.

That is one example of a misplay. you could have made any number of different ones

Grief.exe

I played yesterday a MR hunter on ladder that hero powered on second turn.

later I found that he had a crackling razormaw since the start and decided to play it on turn 5, because he was holding on the value.

He died on turn 5.

That is a very common mistake, they play for value when the tempo is completely gone. MR hunter needs to have a good tempo on board or else they just lose when the bigger threats from the opponent come into play.

That is one example of a misplay. you could have made any number of different ones

Even in slower control decks, I see pro players throw out a value battlecry, like Medivh's Valet or Talonpriest, in order to gain tempo by putting a body on the board.

That kind of play will depend on the opponent's deck, mostly against aggro and midrange. Midrange Hunter, you probably just play razormaw on 2 regardless.

Bottom line is you need to find a way to record your games for us to watch. Sometimes you lose a game on turn 2 or 3 and then by the end of the game you're struggling to find reasons why you lost.

It's too bad that toasts f2p climb isn't available, since he tends to explain every move he makes.

Edit: Toast actually archives all his videos https://www.twitch.tv/videos/147644342

Hey thanks everyone, I do appreciate your help and know it's not easy to work out what's going on by my posts alone. I've got into the habit of posting on here after a loss or two to vent but it's not really that productive.

I'll definitely check out toast's hunter games, I'm sure that will help a lot. My struggles at the moment are probably a combination of not knowing the deck (I've hardly every player hunter), start of the season difficulty at lower ranks, bad luck and me going face too early or late.

Maybe I'll post some videos on YouTube for you to look at and critique.

Edit: I've read all of your suggestions and digested so they haven't gone to waste :)

wiibomb

on the rogue note, I've been running a miracle list with stonehill defender and it has been amazing, the deck is able to swing games I always though unwinnable.

like bouncing 3 times vilespine on my last game from the Xaril poisons and the hallucination's discovers

although I replaced a vilespine slayer for a sherazin since I'm on the fence of crafting the second one, even in that case sherazin performs really well

Top Bottom