• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT9| Our raid wiped in Icecrown Citadel

Damn, normally I get junk in the brawl packs but if they deliver they deliver. Opened a golden Jaraxxus in today's. I believe that is my third golden legendary in a brawl pack.

Since I already have a regular I think I'll dust him.

What should I craft? Missing these legendaries:

• Cenarius
  • Antonidas
  • Tarim and Burnbrizzle
  • Raza
  • Every Shaman or Hunter legendary
  • King Mosh
  • New Elize, Leeroy, Aya, Harrison

Any recommendations? I enjoy control and midrange the most. Thought about that control shaman but I need a lot of more dust for that.

I'll second tarim, however elise and harrison are also stronger picks among the list. Tarim is strong midrange, sometimes included in control. Elise is strong control, sometimes included in midrange and also neutral. Harrison is a tech pick usually for control, sometimes for certain midrange decks (like paladin).

So basically, if you like paladin, elise or tarim imo.

But if you want to pick a classic card since it doesn't rotate, pick harrison but keeping in mind he isn't great all the time. Great during periods of low aggro, ie. control mage (counters medivh) + control warrior, useful vs rogue (usually present to counter control), control + midrange paladin due to tirion + truesilver, shaman due to various weapon includes as well. Not usually great vs hunter, as the cheaper weapon removal is usually a far better fit but it sometimes is a win-more card which can be useful to seal a game against the eaglehorn bow.

Antonidas is a freeze mage or tempo mage card. Rarely included in control afaik.

Shaman legends are usually niche even within the class. White eyes for nzoth shaman, alakir I am not sure is included in many lists atm but maybe elemental shaman, and of course kalimos is elemental shaman.

Aya and leeroy are good, if you want to play decks that run them.

I wouldn't reccomend any hunter legendary, cenarius (just average card, often not included). Raza seems like a meme card, only kibler is playing it and it's for the memes I believe. Stronger in wild if that is your thing. Burnbrizzle is a good card but there are better cards to craft, I wouldn't prioritze over tarim for example.

Q8D3vil

Damn, normally I get junk in the brawl packs but if they deliver they deliver. Opened a golden Jaraxxus in today's. I believe that is my third golden legendary in a brawl pack.

Since I already have a regular I think I'll dust him.

What should I craft? Missing these legendaries:

• Cenarius
  • Antonidas
  • Tarim and Burnbrizzle
  • Raza
  • Every Shaman or Hunter legendary
  • King Mosh
  • New Elize, Leeroy, Aya, Harrison

Any recommendations? I enjoy control and midrange the most. Thought about that control shaman but I need a lot of more dust for that.
Dont craft tech legendaries like harrison. Its good in pure control decks, but meh in everything else.

- Tarim is god tier legendary in both control and midrange palladin decks and can do insane swings.

- Razaa is essential in Kaz priest, so unless you want play that its useless (its a tier 4 deck).

- The only legendaries you need in hunter are Savannah highmanes.

-White eyes is good in nzoth shaman and nothing else.

- Elize trailbaser and Lyra are my top two favorite legendaries by far in the last expansions but both of them are value legendaries, so they only work in a control matchup.

- Aya is essential in any jade golem deck or jade package shaman. If you want to play jade druid or the current token shaman you need it.

Fewr

Question guys, do you guys choose and play a single deck to rank up with from season to season? I know it is recommended so that you can really get to grips with the deck and its match ups.

But what do you guys do with your daily quests? For example, if you're running Burn Mage all season, but you repeatedly get quests for other classes and your quest log fills up. Do you complete the other quests in Casual/Arena/TB or something?
I'm wondering this too. I mean, if (when) I get god enough with a particular hero, wouldn't that affect my quests with the rest? Especially with those that I almost never play.

Do you guys re-roll quests that require X number of wins with the hero(es) you play the least?

(although, now you could play against a "friend" (yourself) to complete those quests)

wiibomb

I'm wondering this too. I mean, if (when) I get god enough with a particular hero, wouldn't that affect my quests with the rest? Especially with those that I almost never play.

Do you guys re-roll quests that require X number of wins with the hero(es) you play the least?

(although, now you could play against a "friend" (yourself) to complete those quests)

my only rule with quests is always to complete them when they are 50 or above, unless I get an unavoidable quest, like the 3 wins one I got today. always reroll when they are 40 or wait to reroll if they are 40.

I usually climb ladder with only 1 deck, never more than 2 since I need a good grasp of how to handle it in try hard mode.

with quests I mostly use casual to complete them. Sometimes tavern and rarely ranked.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Could any rank 10 or lower hunter players critique this deck, please?
hunterz0uwy.png

I feel there are very rarely decisions to be made. My theorems:
  1. If you're not close to lethal by turn 8, you are extremely unlikely to win and should surrender.
  2. If your hand gets low or empty and your board gets cleared, you are extremely unlikely to win because of very little card draw / generation. You should surrender.
  3. If one of the first two situations does not apply, you should play on curve as much as possible to use the best possible tempo and power. If this fails because of removal or board clear, you will probably lose anyway. so you should gamble on it.

Because of the curve emphasis, I don't think there are too many decisions besides sometimes holding a weapon charge to threaten your own 3-damage removal or sometimes delaying playing a spell.

Are there any important non-legendary deck changes I could make? I only have 40 dust and I'm stuck at rank 17-18.

Looks good, but if it was me I would drop one of the 1 mana minions, perhaps for a dire wolf alpha so you can get some good trades from some tokens on the board. I don't like to run more than five 1 drops because they're so terrible after the first few turns. maybe see if you can fit a nesting roc in there somewhere too, since it's usually pretty easy to activate the taunt, and it's a pretty good minion against priest. think about maybe tossing one of your rhinos for the roc, see how it works out

Looks good, but if it was me I would drop one of the 1 mana minions, perhaps for a dire wolf alpha so you can get some good trades from some tokens on the board. I don't like to run more than five 1 drops because they're so terrible after the first few turns. maybe see if you can fit a nesting roc in there somewhere too, since it's usually pretty easy to activate the taunt, and it's a pretty good minion against priest. think about maybe tossing one of your rhinos for the roc, see how it works out

with the 1 drop thing, i have a very similar deck that's 49-23 in ranked atm that uses tolvir warden bc of that (actually has plenty more games played but that's just the ones from my pc)

rL5ebWd.png

Fewr

my only rule with quests is always to complete them when they are 50 or above, unless I get an unavoidable quest, like the 3 wins one I got today. always reroll when they are 40 or wait to reroll if they are 40.

I usually climb ladder with only 1 deck, never more than 2 since I need a good grasp of how to handle it in try hard mode.

with quests I mostly use casual to complete them. Sometimes tavern and rarely ranked.
Ah I see, thanks.
One more question: does my current place in ranked affect the opponents I get in casual or is it a separate metric?

wiibomb

Ah I see, thanks.
One more question: does my current place in ranked affect the opponents I get in casual or is it a separate metric?

I've been trying to get more clear answers on that too, but as I've learned, blizzard likes to be obscure with the matchmaking, I only know that in casual you get matched against player with similar winrates, game experience and decks, but I don't know much about that, there aren't clear answers about it.

although, I know that casual doesn't get affected by ranked at all, in ranked the matchmaking is mainly done by the factors above + your rank (so you don't face a higher rank player.)

TankUP

I think there's casual MMR for new players, and a different MMR for everyone else. I conceded a bunch of games in casual once, as a test, and I ended up facing people running Yetis and Boulderfist Ogres.

In ranked, until you get to legend, the only factor matchmaking looks at is your rank. They try and get you an opponent as close to your rank as possible while keeping queue times low.

Blizzard

Banned
I very rarely have fun except on the occasions where someone has ridiculous luck or tries a really annoying strategy and loses anyway, or possibly when I win easily. I like winning easily!

Both times I've gotten 1 game away from level 15, I've been matched against pirate warrior. I rarely see them otherwise. I didn't draw crab at all even with mulligan, sadly.

Blizzard

Banned
The moment when a mage using Melchazar plays Lorewalker Cho, because it was from Melchazar.

And then they realize they're a mage.

That was the third attempt to get rank 15. I placed at 18, and went to 15 using the tempo storm midrange hunter deck (https://tempostorm.com/hearthstone/meta-snapshot/standard/2017-06-05) swapping in a golakka crawler. It definitely seems better than the hunter deck I was using. I guess I could keep trying since I'm over 50% win rate, but if that fails I'm definitely changing classes to aim for rank 10.

I just got Hogger from my brawl pack. To dust or not to dust?

I don't ever see anyone run it so I'm guessing it's not great. It seems it could fit in my hunter deck though maybe? 2-2 with taunt at the end of each turn seems helpful.

Ladekabel

based on what you enjoy, tarim seems like the best shot there, but you must have the murloc package to make it work.

out that one, aya and elise are good options.

I'll second tarim, however elise and harrison are also stronger picks among the list. Tarim is strong midrange, sometimes included in control. Elise is strong control, sometimes included in midrange and also neutral. Harrison is a tech pick usually for control, sometimes for certain midrange decks (like paladin).

So basically, if you like paladin, elise or tarim imo.

But if you want to pick a classic card since it doesn't rotate, pick harrison but keeping in mind he isn't great all the time. Great during periods of low aggro, ie. control mage (counters medivh) + control warrior, useful vs rogue (usually present to counter control), control + midrange paladin due to tirion + truesilver, shaman due to various weapon includes as well. Not usually great vs hunter, as the cheaper weapon removal is usually a far better fit but it sometimes is a win-more card which can be useful to seal a game against the eaglehorn bow.

Antonidas is a freeze mage or tempo mage card. Rarely included in control afaik.

Shaman legends are usually niche even within the class. White eyes for nzoth shaman, alakir I am not sure is included in many lists atm but maybe elemental shaman, and of course kalimos is elemental shaman.

Aya and leeroy are good, if you want to play decks that run them.

I wouldn't reccomend any hunter legendary, cenarius (just average card, often not included). Raza seems like a meme card, only kibler is playing it and it's for the memes I believe. Stronger in wild if that is your thing. Burnbrizzle is a good card but there are better cards to craft, I wouldn't prioritze over tarim for example.

Dont craft tech legendaries like harrison. Its good in pure control decks, but meh in everything else.

- Tarim is god tier legendary in both control and midrange palladin decks and can do insane swings.

- Razaa is essential in Kaz priest, so unless you want play that its useless (its a tier 4 deck).

- The only legendaries you need in hunter are Savannah highmanes.

-White eyes is good in nzoth shaman and nothing else.

- Elize trailbaser and Lyra are my top two favorite legendaries by far in the last expansions but both of them are value legendaries, so they only work in a control matchup.

- Aya is essential in any jade golem deck or jade package shaman. If you want to play jade druid or the current token shaman you need it.

Currently it's a toss-up between Tarim and Aya. I'm leaning more towards Tarim but I get him all the time from Stonehill Defender when I play Paladin which lets me hesitate a bit. Aya I would like to craft because I want to play Druid again and my cobbled together Medivh Druid is garbage but I don't want to play Jade Druid.

Probably will craft Tarim later. Thanks y'all!

Finally fucking rank 5. Fell all the way back from Rank 7 5 stars to Rank 8 no stars and then durdled between 8 and 7 for days.
In the end it was Evolve Shaman that got me there after it failed just short of 6 before.

I want the OG meta back, everything feels so broken now. Not even Priest is trying to play a fair game anymore.

wiibomb

Finally fucking rank 5. Fell all the way back from Rank 7 5 stars to Rank 8 no stars and then durdled between 8 and 7 for days.
In the end it was Evolve Shaman that got me there after it failed just short of 6 before.

I want the OG meta back, everything feels so broken now. Not even Priest is trying to play a fair game anymore.

that would be the worst case for HS, we had a brawl some weeks ago with just OG and classic cards and it was boring AF.

HS has come a long way from those days

sh1fty

that would be the worst case for HS, we had a brawl some weeks ago with just OG and classic cards and it was boring AF.

I actually really liked that brawl lol... Playing as vanilla mage with Chillwind Yeti.. brought back some good memories!

That's Old Gods. Last year before Karazhan when the worst we had to worry about was a 4 mana 7/7 played on curve.

I have no clue what the meta was in beta. I played f2p Hunter at the time and stopped before Naxx came out.

wiibomb

I actually really liked that brawl lol... Playing as vanilla mage with Chillwind Yeti.. brought back some good memories!

bringing back memories doesn't equal being actually good. the meta in those days was really linear, absolutely predictable

talk all what you all want about RNG and discover, but the game has come a long way since those original days

Ladekabel

I'm still trying to find a Druid deck that I enjoy playing because it is one of my three favorite classes in the game but I don't enjoy any of its archetypes at the moment. I'd try to make a greedy Medivh Mage with Moonglade Portal work but I lack the skill to make such a deck and I don't think it's any good.

After crafting Tarim I remembered Violet Teacher and the fun I had playing Malygos/Token Druid pre-Mammoth. Threw together somethings. Have a 100% winrate after 1 game in casual.

Here is the list:

tokensl9ude.png

Thoughts and suggestions? Thought about maybe a Tar Creeper somewhere in there. Maybe Fledgling if I had opened any. Unsure about Ancient and Mire Keeper.

sh1fty

I'm still trying to find a Druid deck that I enjoy playing because it is one of my three favorite classes in the game but I don't enjoy any of its archetypes at the moment. I'd try to make a greedy Medivh Mage with Moonglade Portal work but I lack the skill to make such a deck and I don't think it's any good.

After crafting Tarim I remembered Violet Teacher and the fun I had playing Malygos/Token Druid pre-Mammoth. Threw together somethings. Have a 100% winrate after 1 game in casual.

Here is the list:

tokensl9ude.png

Thoughts and suggestions? Thought about maybe a Tar Creeper somewhere in there. Maybe Fledgling if I had opened any. Unsure about Ancient and Mire Keeper.

Don't play much druid, but if you're going for a token-y deck you'd want 2x Savage Roar right?

Raxus

Change how Aura's work already. There's no reason a warleader should heal wounded murlocs.

That would mean the game would have to memorize damage dealt to them (including fatal) and I doubt they'd be able to program that in.

Only solution I can think of is when the aura leaves the field all murlocs take -2/-1.

That would mean the game would have to memorize damage dealt to them (including fatal) and I doubt they'd be able to program that in.

Only solution I can think of is when the aura leaves the field all murlocs take -2/-1.
It's baffling that the game doesn't. It even causes inconsistencies in so far that the game cares about the damaged state and that the aura retains it when it's being applied for the first time.

wiibomb

that doesn't make much sense, the whole idea is to make a minion have +X health, exactly like power word shield or kabal talonpriest, when you take damage, you take that damage first on that extra health, what would be the point of giving it +2 health if they are outright killed with that off?

when the aura minion dies, that extra slot of health is gone, but the rest of the health is still there, taking that extra damage is essentially making extra damage to a minion just because of the death of the aura minion

Magnus

Did the iOS client get a 60fps update? My 5s is periodically zipping up in speed. It's kind of inconsistent and jarring.

wiibomb

Did the iOS client get a 60fps update? My 5s is periodically zipping up in speed. It's kind of inconsistent and jarring.

they apparently did make the animations more fluid on mobile, I noticed on android and yesterday I edited the options file to play the game at 60fps. It is glorious

that doesn't make much sense, the whole idea is to make a minion have +X health, exactly like power word shield or kabal talonpriest, when you take damage, you take that damage first on that extra health, what would be the point of giving it +2 health if they are outright killed with that off?

when the aura minion dies, that extra slot of health is gone, but the rest of the health is still there, taking that extra damage is essentially making extra damage to a minion just because of the death of the aura minion
The +2 health as it's stated on the card? + X Health is nowhere stated to be a Heal but behaves as such.
If an aura only gave an extra slot you'd have to heal the minions up separately.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Anybody got a control paladin list they like? I want to avoid the murloc stuff.

Control paladin is still gonna run the Hydrologist though. I've played something like this before:
Fire Fly x2
Dirty Rat x1
Doomsayer x2
Equality x2
Hydrologist x2
Wild Pyro x1
Aldor x2
Wickerflame Burnbristle x1
Stonehill Defender x2
Consecration x2
Truesilver x2
Twilight Drake x2
Nesting Roc x1
Stampeding Kodo x1
Ivory Knight x2
Spikeridged Steed x2
Sunkeeper Tarim x1
The Curator x1
Rag Lightlord x1
Tirion x1

It does the job. But I wasn't climbing very quick with it.

wiibomb

The +2 health as it's stated on the card? + X Health is nowhere stated to be a Heal but behaves as such.
If an aura only gave an extra slot you'd have to heal the minions up separately.

then there is no reason at all to make aura minions that give +X health if a lot of classes just don't have any way to "heal" that artificial health, even worse if I need 2 cards (at least) to make that aura worth.

that just kills off aura effects for health, it wouldn't work at all.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Control paladin is still gonna run the Hydrologist though. I've played something like this before:
Fire Fly x2
Dirty Rat x1
Doomsayer x2
Equality x2
Hydrologist x2
Wild Pyro x1
Aldor x2
Wickerflame Burnbristle x1
Stonehill Defender x2
Consecration x2
Truesilver x2
Twilight Drake x2
Nesting Roc x1
Stampeding Kodo x1
Ivory Knight x2
Spikeridged Steed x2
Sunkeeper Tarim x1
The Curator x1
Rag Lightlord x1
Tirion x1

It does the job. But I wasn't climbing very quick with it.

Hydrologist absolutely, i was mostly referring to vilefin, megasaur package.

Thanks for the list!

then there is no reason at all to make aura minions that give +X health if a lot of classes just don't have any way to "heal" that artificial health, even worse if I need 2 cards (at least) to make that aura worth.

that just kills off aura effects for health, it wouldn't work at all.
You were the one separating the added health from the aura.
My whole issue is 2 different effects being tied together into one template right now and not communicated well.

wiibomb

You were the one separating the added health from the aura.
My whole issue is 2 different effects being tied together into one template right now and not communicated well.

you were the one having a problem with giving health to a minion when the card clearly says your minions have +X/+X

+X health give +X health, nothing wrong with "healing" the minion when it enters the board, it its giving that extra slot of health

you were the one having a problem with giving health to a minion when the card clearly says your minions have +X/+X

+X health give +X health, nothing wrong with "healing" the minion when it enters the board, it its giving that extra slot of health
No it's giving an extra slot of health and removing damage marked. As such it's healing but doesn't trigger effects on heals.

There's just a ton of inconsistencies as it works right now.

Sande

If I deal 2 damage to a 2 health minion and remove whatever passive buffs it has, it should die. The way it currently works is really unintuitive.

It's "your minions have", not "your minions get". It's a temporary increase and as such should go away entirely when its source is removed.

wiibomb

It still doesn't make sense, you are basically saying that the minion should never get that health, if the minion gets +2 health from aura, it also comes with those 2 health filled, in the other case the health applied would only work with a class like priest with (may be) enough cards to heal that health, but that would be just totally useless.

and I'm not even accounting for even more nonsense like applying that health without filling it and making the minion falsely damaged for an execute, battle rage, etc. etc.

and the damaging the minion after the aura is gone is just a terrible idea... it's using a minion I have to damage my own other minions, that's... no.

wiibomb

Explain how it can be intuitive that damaging a minion ends up making it undamaged.

being a lot more useful than the other alternatives.

I see it as the extra health being stacked, so those points of extra health from the aura are actually going to stack against the whole total number, so yeah, it seems like it is healing, but in really it is just capping the total when it stops to apply.

in that case, if I have a 7 health minion, damaged to 5, if I apply 2 health, those 2 points are going to stack up on top of the health given, not just a temporary thing, but actually applying to the total, so the minion is still damaged by 2 when it has 7, but the total is 9 instead of 7, damaging the minion after the aura is gone puts a whole lot of cumbersome useless thinking that doesn't need to be in this game.

I can totally give you that it seems like healing, but other alternatives are worse

I can see your argument but then it should just be recognized as a heal by the game.

What is worse by making the health tied to the aura? You're not taking anything away that wasn't given before.

wiibomb

I can see your argument but then it should just be recognized as a heal by the game.

What is worse by making the health tied to the aura? You're not taking anything away that wasn't given before.

I'm thinking about a game with a murloc warleader in turn 3, then it survives all the way to turn 7, with another warleader on aboard with other murlocs, with a coldlight seer applied, may be even with a rockpool hunter.

I just imagine all the calculations to make if I try to throw an AoE and thinking about the health lowered by killing the murlocs. I think that would make the game cumbersome in those calculations. Even on the murloc player side trying to think if he kill all the warleaders.

may be it could be best if they do that, but that would just make any aura minion useless

I'm thinking about a game with a murloc warleader in turn 3, then it survives all the way to turn 7, with another warleader on aboard with other murlocs, with a coldlight seer applied, may be even with a rockpool hunter.

I just imagine all the calculations to make if I try to throw an AoE and thinking about the health lowered by killing the murlocs. I think that would make the game cumbersome in those calculations. Even on the murloc player side trying to think if he kill all the warleaders.

may be it could be best if they do that, but that would just make any aura minion useless
coldlight is a battlecry so you can disregard that. Then it's just checking if 1 Warleader dies, if that one dying would cause the other to die or if both die.

Depending on that it's a simple -1, -1-1 or -2 health on all murlocs. With 2 of 3 being the same result.

Sande

It still doesn't make sense, you are basically saying that the minion should never get that health
It has the health while the buffing minion is alive. That's how auras (should) work.

and I'm not even accounting for even more nonsense like applying that health without filling it and making the minion falsely damaged for an execute, battle rage, etc. etc.

and the damaging the minion after the aura is gone is just a terrible idea... it's using a minion I have to damage my own other minions, that's... no.

When the buff is applied, both the current health and max health would be increased by the amount. When the buff is removed they both drop by the amount. That's it.

The minion wouldn't receive any "extra damage" nor would it become damaged unless it already was.

This is a discussion from like closed beta. They chose to do it this way because it is more familiar with players. I mean, it sorta makes sense. You have 2 ways to do something. You can make minions die when the buff is lost and confuse one set of people (the non-core card players) or make it consistent with non-card games (like WOW) and core card players will learn the mechanic fairly fast anyway. This explanation was something along the lines of what blizzard said regarding this.

Enhancing health is not healing, it's not just increasing max health, it's something unique to itself. Therefore it's not inconsistent because it is consistent across the board in how the mechanics actually work. Just because it looks like healing doesn't mean it should trigger healing effects.

Hearthstone doesn't have a damage tally. It has a current health and max health. Power word shield, for example, raises both. Same with an aura like warleader. It's consistent across all buffs that they raise both current and maximum health when it says + health and in none of the situations does it activate healing things. Imagine PWS with NSC on board, that'd be 2 draws for 2 mana.

Top Bottom