• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT9| Our raid wiped in Icecrown Citadel

sibarraz

Banned
Based on their power level a 1/1 or 5/5 that just replaces your opening hand with the princes wouldn't be busted.

The problem is that the 3 mana prince is still terrible for its requirement, it is not worthy to sacrifice all your 3 cost cards just to copy another minion on curve.

TankUP

The princes are for the deckbuilders who like solving puzzles more than being competitive. They aren't spike cards, which is naturally how cards are evaluated so that's why they have been so ill-received.

But once the meta is settled and starting to feel a bit stale, a few streamers are going to reinvigorate their audience with "getting to legend with the Princes" challenges or something like that.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Let's guess how many DKs see real play in the future meta, I say one or none.
Rouge, Palladian, and Druid look playable to me, Druid needs no building around even, just slap it in. I personally believe Shaman is the most trash Death Knight.

Druid is the most playable one IMO, the hero power is close in power to Tank Up.

gutshot

Kibler is very overrated imo but he's a fun personality.

Overrated as a card reviewer or overrated as a streamer?

If the former, I can see where you are coming from. His reviews typically boil down to "this card works great in a certain kind of deck and if that deck is good, this card will see play". Which is a pretty obvious way of reviewing cards. He doesn't normally try to predict the meta, the way Trump does. So he ends up being wrong about cards a lot less often, but it does make his reviews fairly bland.

As a streamer though, he is great. Fun, informative and, most importantly, salt free.

If the former, I can see where you are coming from. His reviews typically boil down to "this card works great in a certain kind of deck and if that deck is good, this card will see play". Which is a pretty obvious way of reviewing cards. He doesn't normally try to predict the meta, the way Trump does. So he ends up being wrong about cards a lot less often, but it does make his reviews fairly bland.

As a streamer though, he is great. Fun, informative and, most importantly, salt free.
As a card reviewer for the very reason you're describing, he reviews cards in a vacuum. I extra went and edited in the bit that he's a fun personality to clarify.

Also he goes to Magic PTs unprepared which is bad form imo.
Im all about Kibler and Reynad when it's about card reviews.

People with whom i will never be frieds with list:
  • Familienoberhauptvogel
Does Reynad even try to predict cards? I could swear with Ungoro he waited post release with his review stream.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
As a card reviewer for the very reason you're describing, he reviews cards in a vacuum. I extra went and edited in the bit that he's a fun personality to clarify.

Does Reynad even try to predict cards? I could swear with Ungoro he waited post release with his review stream.

I think reynad was out of town for release of ungoro.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act

The Noodle does the review after the whole set has been revealed, which makes sense if you think about it.
He's not about the hot takes.

But both Reynad and Kibler have a great understanding of how the game (and card games in general) work.
During the last reveal stream you could see Kibler thinking about all the possibilities of each card while Firebat was all like: "Nice, 100 dust"

Pooya

35 cards are left, including 4 legs and a few of epics. All rogue epics are left which means they're either really really bad like usually they are and saved for facebook dump, slayer was like the exception that was good. Who knows, maybe they're good and add more utility to rogue hero.

They have to reveal 2 heroes and Lich King, those are likely complex cards that take more time to show and play than other cards usually take. I don't think they will be showing many cards on the stream, most of them are neutral common fillers left for facebook.

FeD.nL

Gutshot, you gonna do another GAF predicts spreadsheet?

I think reynad was out of town for release of ungoro.
makes sense.
The Noodle does the review after the whole set has been revealed, which makes sense if you think about it.
He's not about the hot takes.

But both Reynad and Kibler have a great understanding of how the game (and card games in general) work.
During the last reveal stream you could see Kibler thinking about all the possibilities of each card while Firebat was all like: "Nice, 100 dust"
sure not dismissing cards right away is good and all but to spend time making ideal cases for cards that are likely to be bad is more an exercise in creativity than anything of value.

TankUP

Most people only review cards based on how they work in the current meta, ignoring the fact that (in most cases) the current meta is going to go away with the release of new cards.

Kibler understands this and reviews cards on how they might work in a new meta. He also understands that you can have a strong card that doesn't see play right away due to class deficiencies or lack of support, but have potential to be good in the right meta.

iirate

50790b151b.png

I missed that reveal, my bad. XD

Admirable is kinda terrible at this kind of thing

Chakki and his gang is atrocious too despite their record and reputation as pro

I actually agree, I just like him as one of the few reviewers that waits on the whole set before reviewing. It's a good opportunity to mature my own thoughts.

Kibler is clearly tops at this.

jiggles

Banned
I've been out of the game for a while now (since the Grand Tournament, basically). Is it possible to be competitive in Standard at all without dropping over £100 on card packs?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I've been out of the game for a while now (since the Grand Tournament, basically). Is it possible to be competitive in Standard at all without dropping over £100 on card packs?

It's hard. With the release of frozen throne there will be more cards in standard than ever before.

But the good news is you'll get a legendary in the first ten packs of every expansion you open.

I like Kibler and his stream, I'm just not sure he has the personality I want in a card reveal stream. He's very cut and dry with card evaluation and on a reveal stream I'm looking for a few more "hot takes"

Szadek

Trump's rating systen is the worst and re-reviews are entierly pointless.
"This card is a 5/5 because it gets played in a Tier 1 deck"
Thanks, it's not like anyone could figure that out within 2 mintues by looking at a tier list or something.

manhack

It depends on a few things:

What is your definition of competitive? Legend, Rank 5, Rank 10...

How many viable decks do you want? Almost anyone can get 1 cheap Legend viable deck together.

How much are you willing to spend? $50 pre-order should be enough to get 1 or 2 decks up and running.

How much time will you spend on the game completing quests/arena? I do dailies on 3 servers US/EU/Asia and am F2P on 2 of them. I usually have 2 or 3 good decks by the 2nd month of an expansion.

Are you interested in dusting all the Wild cards you have? Not really worth it IMHO, but maybe some bad epics or legendaries can get you going.

fertygo

Frodan is just the best to mix with one of those devs guy, seeing 2 of middle aged man together for one show is just weird choice for me.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Frodan is just the best to mix with those devs guy, seeing 2 of middle aged ma for one show is just weird choice for me.

Frodan kinda dropped the ball in the last reveal, he didnt seem interested in the new cards and B-Brode had to push him to check the new cards.

Kibler + Brode sounds perfect to me.
SMH at Middle age shaming....
Im old :(

I like Kibler and his stream, I'm just not sure he has the personality I want in a card reveal stream. He's very cut and dry with card evaluation and on a reveal stream I'm looking for a few more "hot takes"
Yeah that's my issue too. Kibler covers all his bases which makes the review pretty pointless to me as he doesn't offer much of an opinion at all in the process.

TankUP

Frodan kinda dropped the ball in the last reveal, he didnt seem interested in the new cards and B-Brode had to push him to check the new cards.

The problem was Frodan was being heavily pushed to keep the stream on schedule after the 20 minute delay due to technical difficulties, and he had no idea which cards were new and which were already revealed so he couldn't properly highlight them.

Those two things made for a pretty crappy stream. As long as their aren't technical difficulties, the only thing I'm worried about with today's stream is Kibler spending TOO MUCH time on certain cards only he cares about (like I'm getting sick of hearing about how good cards are for handbuff) so that other cards get short shrift.

Just realized something about Roll the Bones. If you cast one, and draw the other, it'll trigger the effect. Still not great and shows that Rogues need more cards with Deathrattle on them if they want the card to work.

Also makes me miss Unearthed Raptor!

Nachos

Just realized something about Roll the Bones. If you cast one, and draw the other, it'll trigger the effect. Still not great and shows that Rogues need more cards with Deathrattle on them if they want the card to work.
Wait, is there precedent for it working like that? I assumed RtB's text just meant "If it has a Deathrattle effect" and not "If it contains the keyword 'Deathrattle'."

wiibomb

Also makes me miss Unearthed Raptor!

not sure if I'm following, but this only applies to card draw, if the card has deathrattle, it will draw another card (dangerously profitable with auctioneer), but it won't trigger any deathrattles.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Okay sure, still not a big deal I think. It's not like you're aiming to collect every card. When getting back in you want to focus.

Sure and this doesn't seem like a particularly expensive expansion either. Ungoro surely was though, damn epics.

But if you're missing all of wotog, all of msg, kara, and ungoro you're missing lots of basic pieces to decks. But the legendary in ten packs will help. Anybody new should start with ten packs of every available expansion.

Wait, is there precedent for it working like that? I assumed RtB's text just meant "If it has a Deathrattle effect" and not "If it contains the keyword 'Deathrattle'."

not sure if I'm following, but this only applies to card draw, if the card has deathrattle, it will draw another card (dangerously profitable with auctioneer), but it won't trigger any deathrattles.

I could be wrong, we don't know for sure, but all it says is;

"Draw a card. If it has Deathrattle, cast this again."

Doesn't say minion, only mentions card. I'm assuming it only requires the bolded keyword on the card for it to work. Roll the Bones itself has the bolded Deathrattle keyword, so I would assume it would work. Also means it should trigger off of Journey Below if this is the case.

Edit: To clarify, I mean the draw effect on Roll the Bones itself, not the actual Deathrattle effect on the card you draw or anything like that.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
As a card reviewer for the very reason you're describing, he reviews cards in a vacuum.

I personally do not give style points to reviewers who try to be bold and predict the meta. Anytime you are crazy wrong it undercuts any time you might be crazy correct. Doing what Trump does doesn't really serve the viewer unless the only thing you want to do as a viewer is to type LUL PRIEST when Trump says "1 because Priest won't see play."

Doesn't say minion, only mentions card. I'm assuming it only requires the bolded keyword on the card for it to work. Roll the Bones itself has the bolded Deathrattle keyword, so I would assume it would work. Also means it should trigger off of Journey Below if this is the case.
It doesn't say minions because weapons can have deathrattles. "Have" refers to the effect. It won't continue on Roll the Bones.

ZealousD

sure not dismissing cards right away is good and all but to spend time making ideal cases for cards that are likely to be bad is more an exercise in creativity than anything of value.

When there's a billion ways to get cards from outside your deck in this game, understanding how even bad cards can be good in niche situations is useful.

wiibomb

I would go more for actual cards with a deathrattle effect, not with a text saying deathtrattle, by that meaning, I would count Umbra as part of that effect, which is pretty dubious

It doesn't say minions because weapons can have deathrattles. "Have" refers to the effect. It won't continue on Roll the Bones.

Has this been mentioned / clarified by Blizzard? Mainly just curious.

Taking another look at Unearthed Raptor, it doesn't contain the word effect, which mean the card would work as others think it will.

I would go more for actual cards with a deathrattle effect, not with a text saying deathtrattle, by that meaning, I would count Umbra as part of that effect, which is pretty dubious

I feel like Umbra should work either way.

I'm certain roll the bones requires the card to have deathrattle, not give deathrattle or simply have deathrattle in the card text. I don't think there are deathrattle weapons for rogue though.

I could see them giving rogue a weapon with deathrattle.

On that note, the other card could be stealth related. Both could be nice.

ZealousD

Roll the bones does not "have" a deathrattle. It interacts with other deathrattles. Same with Umbra. If Roll the Bones pulls them, the draw will stop.

Top Bottom