• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT9| Our raid wiped in Icecrown Citadel

Ketch

Maybe big body Shaman could be a thing. Flamewreathed, Earth Ele and Snowfury. Supplement with healing and removal and it might be good. Going to be tough for opponents to deal with that many big minions.

It's potentially even better than Arcane Giant in Rogue and Mage.

Especially if you keep freezing shit all the time.

TankUP

aOeGFe8.png

This card makes a LOT more sense now.

lol no. It's still pretty bad.

I don't see how it is bad.

Deathlord is a 2/8 taunt that can pull any minion from their deck as the penalty for it dying early.

This card is a 2/8 taunt that makes you skip a turn as the penalty for it dying early.

Those seem like comparable losses to me. I think this card will see play.

the only relevant mana costs for evolve as of now are 2 and 6.

Yes every now and then you'll evolve Barnes or a random 2 drop but those occurences are rare enough that nothing in the costs 3 to 5 and 7+ are meaningfull buffs to evolve.

wiibomb

I don't see how it is bad.

Deathlord is a 2/8 taunt that can pull any minion from their deck as the penalty for it dying early.

This card is a 2/8 taunt that makes you skip a turn as the penalty for it dying early.

Those seem like comparable losses to me. I think this card will see play.

skipping a turn is far worse than summoning a random minion for your opponent that, by the way, might even be a favorable since that might be battlecry minion.

You lose one of the first turns on tempo if this is played on curve.

Pooya

I can see giants/overload replacing jades in volcano/control decks. It's very hard to grow jade to anything threatening in shaman. Overload is a lot harder to curve out and can you let go of Aya and co? They're too good. It's hard to say.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I can see giants/overload replacing jades in volcano/control decks. It's very hard to grow jade to anything threatening in shaman. Overload is a lot harder to curve out and can you let go of Aya and co? They're too good. It's hard to say.

You would also either lose Jade claws or the synergy of it.

fertygo

Btw I dont get why the horseman win condition for Uther DK's not had text "at start of your next turn"

To prevent some beardo shenanigan.. its may still not worth the effort bùt I dont want want the flavor used that way.. its sound cheap and unfitting

Hybris

The giant is quite bad. Only way this would see play in standard is if elemental destruction was still in for a tempo swing turn.

scarlet

Cuz I'm bad at math, statistically which one is better to reduce the chance of getting 3 princes from pack.

1. Getting that free hero card first, then opening packs.
2. Or opening packs, then free hero card.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Cuz I'm bad at math, statistically which one is better to reduce the chance of getting 3 princes from pack.

Opening packs first by a tiny amount.

But the problem is the welcome pack can give you a duplicate legendary. So who's to say the free death knight they give you from the solo content couldn't also be a duplicate?

Packs then card of course.

But the problem is the welcome pack can give you a duplicate legendary. So who's to say the free death knight they give you from the solo content couldn't also be a duplicate?
They said the solo content won't give a dupe.

scarlet

It's confirmed it won't be duplicate.

So opening packs first still better?

fertygo

I would get free hero first

To prevent some bug like let say you cannot get dupe from pack but get dupe from reward

Edit : they already confirm its never dupe from reward too? Nice.. but just to be safe I'd get the free DK first

Xanathus

Just gonna make a prediction that the DK Paladin hero will see play at the start and up to the middle of this expansion's life cycle, and then quickly get taken out of decks because it's too slow and will be useless in the meta.

f0lken

Just gonna make a prediction that the DK Paladin hero will see play at the start and up to the middle of this expansion's life cycle, and then quickly get taken out of decks because it's too slow and will be useless in the meta.

The weapon alone will keep it in play for a loooooooooooong time I bet
(save this post for when no one plays it 3 weeks from now!)

scarlet

Control pally is still a top tier deck, and this card helps strengthen the deck.

I hope we can have a slower meta.

I am a little convinced that the new giant works in aggro shaman. I've pitched the idea on comphs and someone doesn't think it'll work, or w/e. Told me to do the math and it wouldn't work out to play this giant by 7.

Well, I did the math and by turn 7 you have 28 mana. And you only need 11 to be overload. It's definitely doable if your cards fit the curve well enough.

I even thought about dust devil since it's 1 mana 2 overload. But I don't think that is required. I think you want to run earth elemental, perhaps even the new 3 drop as well. A 2/8 3 drop protects your board heavily, then you got FTT to take advantage of the 8 health. I think a lot of fine tuning would have to take place though, and there might be a few missing pieces to make it work.

It is of course a slower aggro deck. But I think that is fine. Most of the game you're playing heavy tempo and then finally you're playing an earth elemental or doomhammer and dropping an 8/8 on the board in the same turn. You won't need it to hit 0 to be worth playing either so you might get it out before turn 7.

Blizzard

Banned
About the devolve question, does devolve keep the current HP if possible then? I thought anything devolved OR evolved would go to max HP, and I couldn't find anything on either devolve wiki page about it.

fertygo

I dont know

If you ask me there will be some serious consideration to just play the DK instead Tirion in midrange murloc deck for instant weapon swing and heal

Heal for 10 is no joke

Altho you dont wanna lose the murloc recruit hero power in murloc deck

Oh man, it all makes sense now. I knew that Mike Elliot, a MtG designer, was working on this set. What I just learned now is that Mike Elliot is most known for designing the Urza block of cards. Even to this day, the Urza block is regarded as one of the most broken card sets in the game. It has so many ridiculous cards, and so much broken stuff, that it led a considerable portion of the MtG playerbase to quit.

Mike Elliot also worked on the next expansion, so we can expect more of the crazy stuff we've seen so far with KotFT. Regardless of how the meta turns out, I hope we can all agree that Blizzard has been hitting the ball out of the park with the new concepts they have been introducing in these last two sets. I was feeling down on the game with Gadgetzan, which I mostly regard as a bad set. But Un'Goro was a great attempt at branching Hearthstone out into new concept territory like Old Gods was, and Frozen Throne is doing great things as well.

At this point, I am filled with confidence that the next set will be extraordinary.

Check out some of the broken stuff WotC had to ban from the Urza set:
http://magiccards.info/query?q=(e:ud/en+or+e:ul/en+or+e:us/en)+restricted:vintage&v=card&s=cname

scarlet

About the devolve question, does devolve keep the current HP if possible then? I thought anything devolved OR evolved would go to max HP, and I couldn't find anything on either devolve wiki page about it.

If it's not turn into other minion, then it will keep its current hp

I dont know

If you ask me there will be some serious consideration to just play the DK instead Tirion in midrange murloc deck for instant weapon swing and heal

Heal for 10 is no joke

Altho you dont wanna lose the murloc recruit hero power in murloc deck

Once you lose 2 warleaders and megasaurs I think it's safe to play it.

zoukka

Tirion also "heals" a lot often. This is not directly comparable, but in control lists I would play it over Tirion for sure. Both if possible since Tirion still is pure value.

Blizzard

Banned
Hopefully it doesn't make a bunch of the playerbase quit, and Blizzard keeps doing more player-positive things like dupe prevention. If they started doing a free arena run per week I'd be super happy as well.

I am a little convinced that the new giant works in aggro shaman. I've pitched the idea on comphs and someone doesn't think it'll work, or w/e. Told me to do the math and it wouldn't work out to play this giant by 7.

Well, I did the math and by turn 7 you have 28 mana. And you only need 11 to be overload. It's definitely doable if your cards fit the curve well enough.

I even thought about dust devil since it's 1 mana 2 overload. But I don't think that is required. I think you want to run earth elemental, perhaps even the new 3 drop as well. A 2/8 3 drop protects your board heavily, then you got FTT to take advantage of the 8 health. I think a lot of fine tuning would have to take place though, and there might be a few missing pieces to make it work.

It is of course a slower aggro deck. But I think that is fine. Most of the game you're playing heavy tempo and then finally you're playing an earth elemental or doomhammer and dropping an 8/8 on the board in the same turn. You won't need it to hit 0 to be worth playing either so you might get it out before turn 7.

Just might not be enough good overload in standard to make it work. Tunnel Trogg and Totem Golem really carried. It's a no brainer in Wild.

There's no way the DK Warlock hero power is gonna be discard opponent cards/deck/hand, right?

"If you've discarded 20 cards, win the game."

But how am I suppose to discard that many cards without discarding the cards I need to discard other cards?

".... Moving on."

Blizzard

Banned
There's no way the DK Warlock hero power is gonna be discard opponent cards/deck/hand, right?
We've already joked about "discard your opponent" or similar.

To be serious, for 10 mana, I think the battlecry has to be crazy like:
* Discard your opponent's hand, or
* Add all your discarded cards to your hand

Someone said warlock just needs a Reno heal to full effect. That would work but be kind of ordinary.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Trump leaked that the Warrior Deathknight can dual wield.

Makes the draw two weapons card and Grapplehammer + Gorehowl for the lethal a little better.

Zero chance. It would just be an ultimate "I win" button for Control Warlock. You can't force allow someone to empty control and combo deck hands with a single card.

Could it have a hero power that forces a card to be discarded every turn? Maybe, but there's no precedent for that, and even though it sounds cool there isn't anything in Warlock to support that kind of card.

I really think that it will be something either demon-oriented or discard-oriented. I suspect that, with the Warlock legendary being discard-oriented, the DK card will as well. I think it will be Blizzard's golden cap on an attempt to make Control Discardlock an archetype through Lakkari Portal as an alternative to Jaraxxus as a win condition. The stars are aligned perfectly for such a card.

Hycran

Banned
If dual wield turns out to be real, I'm glad I recently unpacked Hobart. I just hope you can only attack minions while dual wielding.

Gotta get double fools bane going for maximum meme value.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe a "Both players discard a card" at the absolute most for a hero power.

If dual wield turns out to be real, I'm glad I recently unpacked Hobart. I just hope you can only attack minions while dual wielding.

Gotta get double fools bane going for maximum meme value.

You can technically already use double fools bane in a single turn if you can facetank 8 hits, for maximum memeage.

Both players discarding would just make it a mid-range finisher that automatically beats control decks. Because you are basically forcing Priest decks and such to empty their hands in inefficient ways or discard them entirely. It would be the most powerful card in the game, and it would be miserable to play against. Even as someone who loves to play Warlock, and loved playing discard control in MtG, I don't think it's a healthy direction for Hearthstone to go in.

Though I would play it if they made it. :)

Cat Party

If there is nothing to devolve into, the minion is unaffected by the spell. Same with evolve. But yes, this new giant will evolve into another 8/8, effectively healing it.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
That giant seems good. A bug card that will be cheap in a mid-range deck but the time the website rolls around. You don't play it in aggro b/c losing the tempo for overloading that much probably isn't worth it, unless every card you're playing is totem golem level good. Even then, you'd be fucked up on curve pretty hard.

Are there totem golem level overloading cards for most Mana costs? I actually am not sure.

Top Bottom