• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT9| Our raid wiped in Icecrown Citadel

Blizzard

Banned
I made the following changes to my pirate warrior deck after the discussion about rocketeer being a bad card:

1. Replaced rocketeer with wolfrider.
2. Replaced naga corsair with fledgling.

I lost 7/10 games tonight and suspect this change was not an improvement. I'm going to try putting rocketeer back and seeing what happens.

Lyng

I made the following changes to my pirate warrior deck after the discussion about rocketeer being a bad card:

I lost 7/10 games tonight and suspect this change was not an improvement. I'm going to try putting rocketeer back and seeing what happens.

both wolfrider and fledgling are worse cards for that deck then what you removed...

Blizzard

Banned
can you post your decklist again? :)

Thanks, but you already made suggestions I think. :)

I've been playing less for a bit, but I should probably try to get from 10 to 5 before the month ends. Here are my 3 current decks minus Quest Rogue which I haven't played much this season:

decks7fshh.png

Obviously the paladin deck is the most incomplete because the epics are so expensive, let alone the legendaries. The next legendary I'll probably try to craft in the next few months is Leeroy, but right now I have maybe 40 dust.

I'd like to learn two things:

1. If there are any hugely obvious things wrong with these decks, like "in the current meta this card is almost always going to be useless".

2. If there are any super important mulligans I should learn. I feel like I know the basic mulligans (e.g. with pirate warrior, keeping upgrade / fiery war axe / southsea deckhand / nzoth), but there are probably cards I toss in certain matchups that are actually key, and I just don't realize it.

You should take out Eater of Secrets and Crawler. Tech cards like that only slow down your deck.

And remove one Corsair.
Then fill in Frothing and Southsea captain

Also remove the crab from hunter and put in a nesting roc

Lol, so I haven't played in like a week. Finally log back on.

First game against Pirate Warrior with the perfect starting hand. Second game against Quest Rogue that completes their shit on turn 4.

This game is in such bad shape right now. All the top decks right now are complete uninteractive garbage. All the face decks just ignore your board and kill you on turn turn 6 and the quest decks just play solitaire for a handful of turns until they complete their quest and auto win.

KuroNeeko

First game against Pirate Warrior with the perfect starting hand. Second game against Quest Rogue that completes their shit on turn 4.

This game is in such bad shape right now. All the top decks right now are complete uninteractive garbage. All the face decks just ignore your board and kill you on turn turn 6 and the quest decks just play solitaire for a handful of turns until they complete their quest and auto win.

I don't know if I agree with that assessment.

Crystal Rogue doesn't break a 50% WR until Legend. Murloc and Midrange Paladin both boast the highest win rates, and they're not really face decks. Among tier two, you have decks like Control Paladin, Elemental Shaman, Control Shaman, and Secret Mage.

The game is arguably in the best shape it has ever been. I'll admit that some of the decks though are not fun to play against--Quest Rogue probably being the biggest offender for me personally.

Blizzard

Banned

I understand if you need to vent, and I understand people who don't like playing against them, but both of these are exaggerations and only happen sometimes.

Looking at my pirate warrior history, maybe 3 of my last 40 recorded games killed the opponent on turn 6 or earlier.

When I played a ton of quest rogue and kept notes, it was QUITE common to not complete quest until turn 6-8 because of bad draws. Try it yourself if you don't believe me.

Blizzard

Banned

I made the following deck changes:

1. Replaced wolfrider with rocketeer.
2. Replaced fledgling with frothing berserker.

Unfortunately I lost 7/10 games yet again, so I'll have to continue experiments another day. Any non-epic, non-legendary suggestions are welcome, as are specific mulligan guidelines for different matchups.

I suppose I could try the suggestion given earlier about removing hate cards, but last time I checked literally 1/3 of my opponents have been mage recently (in a streak of like 30 games) so I REALLY enjoy the games I win because of eating 1-2 secrets before lethal.

If I remove the crawler despite its synergy with my own pirate cards, what would a good replacement be?

Sande

When I played a ton of quest rogue and kept notes, it was QUITE common to not complete quest until turn 6-8 because of bad draws. Try it yourself if you don't believe me.
I keep thinking this should be the case, but I'm pretty sure it hasn't taken more than 5 turns once against me. Even 5 is rare, it's almost always 4.

Always 2 shadowsteps, a Brewmasters/Ferryman, and a Novice Engineer in starting hand (or in the NE draws). GG.

That has probably made me see quest rogue as even more bullshit than it really is.

scarlet

I don't know if I agree with that assessment.

Crystal Rogue doesn't break a 50% WR until Legend. Murloc and Midrange Paladin both boast the highest win rates, and they're not really face decks. Among tier two, you have decks like Control Paladin, Elemental Shaman, Control Shaman, and Secret Mage.

The game is arguably in the best shape it has ever been. I'll admit that some of the decks though are not fun to play against--Quest Rogue probably being the biggest offender for me personally.

Agreed. This meta has so much variety. Unlike last time Renolock, Jade druid, pirate warrior.

Quest rogue is tough to fight against, but it's far from broken.

I mean, I guess if we consider variety being that there are 6 aggro decks played now instead of 2 then, yeah I guess that's variety.

Control is dead. Midrange is pretty much dead with Quest Warrior being the closest thing left of it, and the only reason that sees play is because the quest is easy as hell to complete and it auto wins you the game 90% of the time once you complete it.

This isn't variety. A flurry of aggro decks combined with uninteractive stuff like quest Rogue, quest Warrior and freeze Mage isn't variety.

Edit: I'll just say this. At no point in the history of Hearthstone have I had less fun with the game than right now. The nonstop aggro Shamans and secret Paladins were preferable to what we have right now. I'm at my wits end with aggro decks ALWAYS being the best decks in Hearthstone and Blizzard continually making them stronger and stronger every expansion. I'm tired of control being phased out by decks that put you on a timer and for the most part don't want to interact with your side of the board whatsoever. It's shit.

Lyng

I mean, I guess if we consider variety being that there are 6 aggro decks played now instead of 2 then, yeah I guess that's variety.

Control is dead. Midrange is pretty much dead with Quest Warrior being the closest thing left of it, and the only reason that sees play is because the quest is easy as hell to complete and it auto wins you the game 90% of the time once you complete it.

This isn't variety. A flurry of aggro decks combined with uninteractive stuff like quest Rogue, quest Warrior and freeze Mage isn't variety.

Edit: I'll just say this. At no point in the history of Hearthstone have I had less fun with the game than right now. The nonstop aggro Shamans and secret Paladins were preferable to what we have right now. I'm at my wits end with aggro decks ALWAYS being the best decks in Hearthstone and Blizzard continually making them stronger and stronger every expansion. I'm tired of control being phased out by decks that put you on a timer and for the most part don't want to interact with your side of the board whatsoever. It's shit.

Apart from pirate warrior and token druid what other aggro decks are there?

Daigoro

got to rank 5 just now for the first time in like a year! yay.

i was totally stuck at rank 10, lost like 12 out of 15 games or some crazy soul crushing shit. went to wild for a bit and went back and forth between wild and standard messing around with different decks. finally settled down in ranked with the deck i climbed with to 10 in the first place (aggro paladin) and started winning at a nice clip.

this deck is pretty wild. it can wreck face in a few turns if the cards play out right, but i find many of my games go pretty long and i have to rebuild after having my board wiped once or twice. im sure ive had more than a few opponents thinking they had a sure win before i build a whole new board and start buffing little dudes. definitely enjoying the murlocs.

i crafted Tarim in the middle of my losing streak at 10 and had a tough time getting any use out of him while i was getting stomped on, but it really is an amazing card that has helped a lot.

havent crafted Finja and dont think he's 100% needed in this deck. though he'd be fun to have.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

The data does not agree with you.

Lyng

we've just established there's only 2 other aggro decks and one of them has living mana to recover from board wipes. If 2 of 3 don't just fold, then most aggro decks don't lose to boardwipes.

Vanish and devolve destroy living mana. Also token druid is easier to keep in check by removing minions. No weapon means less face damage.

Also look at the winrates of the different decks, there really isn't a aggro centric meta right now, instead there is a mix of aggro, combo, midrange and control decks. All of which are viable.
The game has literally never been more balanced between classes, nor has the meta ever been more diverse.

Vanish and devolve destroy living mana. Also token druid is easier to keep in check by removing minions. No weapon means less face damage.

Also look at the winrates of the different decks, there really isn't a aggro centric meta right now, instead there is a mix of aggro, combo, midrange and control decks. All of which are viable.
The game has literally never been more balanced between classes, nor has the meta ever been more diverse.
I'm not arguing about meta. I was debating whether board wipes are more effective against aggro than before.

Devolve and Vanish do indeed wreck living mana, they aren't board wipes though. Vanish moreso than devolve but then it does nothing against PW.

sh1fty

Hit rank 15 last night primarily with Elemental Shaman (went 12-5) and a bit of Quest Rogue (went 5-4). Loving the discover mechanics of Stonehill and Servant of Kalimos... There's a decent chance I'll discover an Al'Akir or Kalimos, which can completely swing games in my favour.

My losses were primarily to 'balls-to-the-wall' aggro decks like Pirate Warrior and an aggressive Zoo Lock. Jade Druid also rekt me big time.

I really hope Brawl get's rotated out... having that in the Taunt Quest deck is frustrating as I thought I had a good strategy to counter his hero power by going wide on the board and filling it with smaller elementals, but he kept clearing my board with Brawl. If you try to play around Brawl, you're just going to get steamrolled by his hero power and high health taunts.

anyone give VLPS' Miracle Rogue liast a shot? Saw him playing it last night and it was doing great against mage/warrior. Didn't see a single replay with Murloc Paladin in it though so kinda concerned how it would hold up there.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Caverns Below distracts from the real fucked up spell that will plague standard for its entire run. Primordial Glyph is ridiculous, it's literally a free spell but better. All mage decks start at 28 cards because of it.

More like all mage decks start at 24 cards. You're running 2x Frost Bolt and 2x Fireball as well.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Remember that "OMG FINJA IS SO BROKEN!!!1!! OMG!!" week ?
How the time flies.

Lyng

Priest is so weird. When I play Lyra he gives me shit. When ever I face him he gives the opponent the exact thing they need to win, even if they are loosing badly.
And still I cant really get mad when it happens....

one deck that does tilt me is Jade druid though. My goodness thats a dumb effing deck.

Feels bad when you lose to Hunter with Potion of Madness in your hand all game.

He coined out grandma, played hyena, then fledgling and double razormaw.

Pooya

so I guess secret mage is the flavor of this week thanks to v/s. good cause that deck is a lot worse than the burn mage lol. If you watched EU vs CN you'd see how secret had 30 percent winrate while burn mage had the highest winrate at 68, sure ladder is different but I don't see how that favors secret mage. I think It's one of those cases that v/s just doesn't have enough data on a deck (only 2 percent).

I guess it makes sense to target druid with it, jade druid does work in legend but yeah, I don't see it being that good against the field.

I've hit a huge wall at rank 7 with Renolock in Wild. I just can't seem to break through to 5. Every time I tech in a bit more anti-aggro, I run into some oddball greedy Priest or Renolock that can out-greed me. Haven't modified my deck much, but removed Thaurissan for a Golakka Crawler (I don't run Leeroy anyway, so Thaurissan wasn't so useful). Removed Imp Gang Boss as well a bit back for Tar Lurker.

Any suggestions? Generally I lose to Pirate Warrior which I've been running into a lot, but can handle Aggro/Token Druid. I tend to lose vs the greediest of decks however as I'm shifting towards more anti-aggro.

It feels weird, but I think the Mountain Giant needs to go. It's a staple Renolock card, but man, it's just too slow. Just not sure what anti-aggro stuff to add in... Defender of Argus is kind of a bust in my experience as I rarely have much sticking around turn-to-turn.

Top Bottom