• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Helldivers 2 |OT| Another bug infested game

Ogbert

Gold Member
Thanks for the info man. I'll get some reviews and see if I jump in early. I loved the first game so I want this to succeed.
If you loved the first game, you will love this.

Spent a few hours with it now. I think the lack of a dodge or roll is a big miss in third person. It wasn’t needed for top down, but it feels amiss here.

cormack12

Gold Member
From the devs - needs a patch for MM issues

I just wanted to let you all know we're working as hard as we can on resolving these, the volume of players exposed some shenanigans in the system that went past many, many, many hours or testing.

We have tried resolving it on the backend only but it seems like we will have to patch the game to resolve the issue. Sorry for this and thank you for your patience.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Game keeps crashing on me...this sucks

what I'm playing I really like. Its awesome, just randomly crashing mid mission. Im a bit stumped what could be causing it.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Game keeps crashing on me...this sucks

what I'm playing I really like. Its awesome, just randomly crashing mid mission. Im a bit stumped what could be causing it.
PC?

Steam reviews say you aren’t the only one. No one has deduced it.

It’s not the anti cheat is it ? I’m not well versed if something like that could cause this.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
PC?

Steam reviews say you aren’t the only one. No one has deduced it.

It’s not the anti cheat is it ? I’m not well versed if something like that could cause this.

Yeah, PC. My system is beast mode so not sure whats causing it. Ill try lowering settings or something for now. :(

phant0m

I'm usually fine with these kinds of issues as long as the devs let us know what's happening, so this is a great start.
The communication is good, but I still don’t understand how devs are STILL fucking up launch day matchmaking in multiplayer-focused games.

Anyway, played a couple missions solo. Shooting feels good and I like the light puzzle mechanics. Movement feels a bit janky but I think a few patches can fix it.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Performance on PC (6800XT/5600X/32GB) has been pretty solid for me; just needed to change a bit of the scaling and now getting a solid 60FPS. The first map was a night mission (not sure if it is random for all things but the mission objective) and even in this "Trivial" encounter, you can definitely see how hectic this can be. There's a lot of muscle memory that's going to be needed to get good at managing combat encounters, but the feel from the first mission is exactly what I was hoping for.

I will say: definitely something to play in co-op. I just don't see someone negotiating well timed Strategem throws or covering blind sides without some support.

. . .that said, this is totally a GaaS-y game though shockingly most of the actual "good" stuff is in the free Warbond (I expected this but not to this degree). Honestly, the offerings in the Premium Warbond are not as good as the Free one if you ask me (the Premium does get a passive for all armor types that is only available on a Free Heavy armor I'm guessing everyone gets).

Is this the new Outriders?

Not even close. Outriders was a class based hero looter-shooter. Beyond co-op, there's little game design DNA shared between the two.
How FSR is called?

FSR is just "Render Scale" on the DISPLAY menu of Options.

Luipadre

The communication is good, but I still don’t understand how devs are STILL fucking up launch day matchmaking in multiplayer-focused games.
Server load can fuck shit up. They can do stress tests inhouse, but nothing comes close to real player server load and this game didnt even had a beta

Darkone

If you loved the first game, you will love this.

Spent a few hours with it now. I think the lack of a dodge or roll is a big miss in third person. It wasn’t needed for top down, but it feels amiss here.
I feel the same way, Really hoping they will add it in the future.

cormack12

Gold Member

Anyway, played a couple missions solo. Shooting feels good and I like the light puzzle mechanics. Movement feels a bit janky but I think a few patches can fix it.
I know. Just have a free weekend right 4 weeks before? Now everyone scrambling round to produce a patch while your online co-op only game flounders. I can't believe the risk/benefit works here.

Hot5pur

The trend of half broken game releases continues it seems.
Is there really no dodge or roll? Seems a bit odd. So if you get charged do you just run to the side or what lol

phant0m

I know. Just have a free weekend right 4 weeks before? Now everyone scrambling round to produce a patch while your online co-op only game flounders. I can't believe the risk/benefit works here.

Yup, just asking for a slew of launch day/week refunds and bad word of mouth.

Also, global launch always exacerbates these too. Staggered rollout across time zones can give them time to identify these things instead of flipping a switch and 50,000 players hit you all at once.

But whatever, I’m just glad the core gameplay and mechanics feel really good

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Yeah, the "Turn off crossplay. . ." fix did not work, was looking at 3+ minutes in a sector that said it had a ton of players in it (it is possible folks are just not putting down their SOS beacons). After this meeting will try and throw down my beacon, but definitely MM needs to just get sorted as the swarming in this is wild.

cormack12

Gold Member
Is there really no dodge or roll? Seems a bit odd. So if you get charged do you just run to the side or what lol
It will be better in co-op but you basically have to kite them round the rocks, use grenades and special weapons.

Ogbert

Gold Member
I think the answer is ‘don’t get charged’.

You have to play this much more circumspectly. Mobs are grouped together. You resupply ammo in advance, work out your strategy.

It feels a bit like Monster Hunter in approach. There’s ‘stuff’ to manage.

Reading about the crash and matchmaking issues I'm just glad I stopped buying day one.
This trend that you're basically a Betatester at release is infuriating.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Are the crashes also happening on PS5? Will be playing this in 2 hours. Can’t wait.

Add me, please :)

Would be amazing to get a few of us on this.

I think there's a few issues at the minute. Typical game launch lol. But what I played I loved.

Zheph

On PS5, it can crash in the armoury. Happened twice, hoping for a quick fix because the game is fun

stickkidsam

Lost connection to servers during the tutorial on PS5 and now I can’t log back in.

Ah always online. Lovely.

Welp, hopefully they fix this by the time I get back from work.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
This is why you have open betas for games. Not having any betas in 2024 especially 10 years after the disastrous DriveClub launch shows they have learned nothing.

Bungie had not one but TWO open betas for Destiny. One 4 months before launch, the other 6 weeks before launch. Thats how you do it.

That’s why I’m probably going to wait on this if it’s good…don’t want to deal with beta testing it

This is why you have open betas for games. Not having any betas in 2024 especially 10 years after the disastrous DriveClub launch shows they have learned nothing.

Bungie had not one but TWO open betas for Destiny. One 4 months before launch, the other 6 weeks before launch. Thats how you do it.
Absolutely true.

How many people like me read or hear about this, hold off on buying because of these issues and will have forgotten this game existed when/if those are finally fixed.
Stuff like this can kill the momentum of a release right in its tracks.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Absolutely true.

How many people like me read or hear about this, hold off on buying because of these issues and will have forgotten this game existed when/if those are finally fixed.
Stuff like this can kill the momentum of a release right in its tracks.

As of literally yesterday

Homeworld 3 just managed to save themselves from a dire launch. All because they put their game out for players to try. Many people see betas or demo's as glorified PR moves, but they can serve a very real purpose if you use them correctly.

I still remember the WoW betas over 15 years ago, how radically the game changed based on the feedback back then. Even if your not looking to radically change your vision for a game they help make sure the mechanical parts are watertight. Launches like this can be avoided, the only reason it's not is because someone makes a decision not to do that and release broken and fix later.

That's a choice someone made, and it should be accountable, this can be avoided.

Last edited:
Top Bottom