• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Helldivers 2 |OT| Another bug infested game

Played 3 missions solo so far. Couldn't manage to join anyone and nobody joined mine. Something must be up with the servers. Feels good to play, and even looks OK in performance mode. I'm not a graphics whore so I'm fine with that. Have work early so that's enough for now. Look forward to playing more tomorrow night.

Found some crashed drone thing that gave me 100 super credits so that's cool. Hope it's viable to buy the warbonds as a free player. I'm happy to grind if it's not too grindy.

Last edited:

Toots

Gold Member
lol fair enough. I’m a total hypocrite here too as I like the gaas model. I’m definitely part of the problem.
It takes an intelligent man to be able to reflect on his flaws.
We're all part of the problem, but by reflecting on yourself like this you are also part of the solution.
(i think this yoda gif really went up to my head, i need to stop pseudo philosophizing like this :messenger_grinning_sweat: )

Was hoping to do some matchmaking but I've been searching for a minute and nobody seems to join.

Playing now if anyone wants to play. I'm based in the UK.

SteamID - LucifersBeard
Friend code - #2007-2310

Ogbert

Gold Member
So, on the plus side, game looks like absolute ass on the ship (like PS3 remaster bad), but the lighting and effects on the planets are beautiful.

This is very simply original Helldivers in 3D. Gunplay really good but fuck me, I absolutely hate the stratagem mechanic. The game goes out of its way to give you these stupid inputs to achieve very basic things. I have no idea who thinks this is enjoyable. Any other game would have a radial that you bring up and select from there.

hlm666

of people who played 30 mins max?

Nickelodeon Yes GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants
Don't shoot the messenger, not my fault people people are hitting matchmaking/performance/protection/monetisation issues and bailing to probably get a refund. Although good news is you can probably ignore the less than 2 hour reviews in the future to get the rating you want it to have because unhappy people are not going to go past 2 hours.

1.5 hours, case in point. The reviews with most awards have over an hour but you do you.

So, on the plus side, game looks like absolute ass on the ship (like PS3 remaster bad), but the lighting and effects on the planets are beautiful.

This is very simply original Helldivers in 3D. Gunplay really good but fuck me, I absolutely hate the stratagem mechanic. The game goes out of its way to give you these stupid inputs to achieve very basic things. I have no idea who thinks this is enjoyable. Any other game would have a radial that you bring up and select from there.
The idea is to apply the tiniest amount of skill and intent beyond just a simple selection. Also takes you 2-3 seconds to perform instead of immediate, so can add to the hectic gameplay.
It was part of the absolute charm of the original.

Just played through the tutorial and 10 mins or so of a mission.

Controls are snappy. Gunplay feels good. Solid framerate. Very big downgrade in graphics on PS5. Doesn't bother me as I prefer the framerate, but it's noticeable.

Still got the fucking annoying input codes.
The ps5 version is a lot uglier? Hm.

cormack12

Gold Member
First two names if you go down on your ship naming list is Halo...and Hammer of Dawn....

Hahahahaha
Noticed that lol. I also looked for Pillar but wasn't there :/

I dunno why the instruction tells you to put a different input in than the screen and then fails. Just a little lack of polish here and there.

Played it both with the DualSense on my OLED as well as with KB/M on a 240Hz monitor. I don't like how it plays with a controller. On PC, it seemed fun, but for my taste the game is too complicated for something that's supposed to be a quick in-and-out mp shooter. Too much clutter UI, extra steps and button presses to go through just to jump into a game. Movement feels a bit clunky, but shooting is satisfying.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Noticed that lol. I also looked for Pillar but wasn't there :/

I dunno why the instruction tells you to put a different input in than the screen and then fails. Just a little lack of polish here and there.

I'm sure there will be the odd patch required, but I'm very happy with what I played so far.

Just, want to link my PSN account but it wont send me a message.

Last edited:
Observations from PC version

The good
- Game runs well on 3080 at 1440p with everything high and ultra. Getting between 90-120fps.
- Graphics are good.
- PC version feels stable. Had the game running for an hour and no crashes.
- Gameplay is satisfying and the bugs are squishy which makes it more fun.

The bad
- Matchmaking is fucked at the moment
- Store front is loaded with premium currency, it's not actually as bad as I first thought though. You can unlock better armour early without using warbonds here but the same armour can be had on the battle pass which doesn't seem to expire.

Last edited:

Darkone

Played for an hour, did the tutorial, and 2 missions alone.
don`t know how to join a game but i read here that a beacon is needed, I so I will try it later.

I am so missing an evade move like a roll or a dodge.

cormack12

Gold Member
Played for an hour, did the tutorial, and 2 missions alone.
don`t know how to join a game but i read here that a beacon is needed, I so I will try it later.

I am so missing an evade move like a roll or a dodge.
When you're in game one of the stratagems is SOS beacon.

When you choose quickplay, it searches for anyone who has thrown a beacon to add you into the game. I can't see a way to matchmake any other way atm

Ogbert

Gold Member
The idea is to apply the tiniest amount of skill and intent beyond just a simple selection. Also takes you 2-3 seconds to perform instead of immediate, so can add to the hectic gameplay.
It was part of the absolute charm of the original.
I get it.

I just think it distracts from the moment to moment gunplay. Orbital strikes I can accept. Getting ammo is just annoying.

Hot5pur

Is this the new Outriders?
Don't even...that game was crack cocaine for me. Too bad it died and no sequel.

Observations from PC version

The good
- Game runs well on 3080 at 1440p with everything high and ultra. Getting between 90-120fps.
- Graphics are good.
- PC version feels stable. Had the game running for an hour and no crashes.
- Gameplay is satisfying and the bugs are squishy which makes it more fun.

The bad
- Store front has timed purchases and linked to super credits. Super credits are purchasable or can be unlocked through the war bond (battle pass). One of the items is a piece of armour that gives huge boosts in speed and takes some armour away. Doesn't quite sit right with me as this isn't just cosmetic.
Ah, didn't realize gameplay elements were locked behind a paywall at launch LOL. That's somewhat an odd way to start off, not that there should be gameplay walled off unless it's an expansion.
Holding off on this one, will watch the player counts and see if people find it fun for more than a few hours or it will drop off quickly. From what I've seen it seems....repetitive.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I get it.

I just think it distracts from the moment to moment gunplay. Orbital strikes I can accept. Getting ammo is just annoying.

It’s something that worked well when the game was top down to give it the tension that such perspective lacks, but the new point of view is enough to generate tension so it’s probably superfluous now for basic stuff like getting more ammo.

Zheph

Don't shoot the messenger, not my fault people people are hitting matchmaking/performance/protection/monetisation issues and bailing to probably get a refund. Although good news is you can probably ignore the less than 2 hour reviews in the future to get the rating you want it to have because unhappy people are not going to go past 2 hours.

1.5 hours, case in point. The reviews with most awards have over an hour but you do you.

I agree that those points can be a blocker for many and early opinions would give you a decent picture of it. It's also very lacking in some aspects such as gameplay/content

It seems you get credits by just playing so you'll have to see how this impacts something like monetisation which seems hard to determine in an hour

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Steam reviews on mixed . Apparently crashes, black/blue screen of deaths , matchmaking not fixed, some unfavored anti cheat, and the monetization is rubbing people the wrong way.

I can’t play until late Friday or early Saturday depending on friends schedules but am curious how quickly they can fix things to learn about the meat and potatoes here.

My worry is that after a few hours you’ve seen and done it all, or it just simply isn’t fun.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Played 3 missions solo so far. Couldn't manage to join anyone and nobody joined mine. Something must be up with the servers. Feels good to play, and even looks OK in performance mode. I'm not a graphics whore so I'm fine with that. Have work early so that's enough for now. Look forward to playing more tomorrow night.

Found some crashed drone thing that gave me 100 super credits so that's cool. Hope it's viable to buy the warbonds as a free player. I'm happy to grind if it's not too grindy.
100 credits is a lot if we consider that their battle pass are "just" 1000 super credit usually.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Matchmaking is completely broken as expected on day one. Got on with Heaven Angel Heaven Angel for a while but they shot me in one of the games by accident (on purpose :) ) and it is way more fun in a group.

Hope they fix matchmaking soon as I don’t have lots of people to play with being a primarily single player gamer.

Whats the solo experience like?

Also does it have a commo-rose like Battlefield so you can communicate with your squadmates without needing a mic?

TrebleShot

TrebleChamp99

Steam & PS5, add me.

Played on both, PS5 performance mode isnt that bad, what you should expect really.

Theres an AA and sharpness setting on PS5 that helps with IQ give it a go.

Also MTX are cheaper on PS5, I think.

Lastly seems the DS haptics are much stronger on PS5.

Last edited:
Haven't played any multiplayer since Killzone and Warhawk, but decided to buy this. Feel free to add me (PS5) :)

Last edited:

begotten

- Store front has timed purchases and linked to super credits. Super credits are purchasable or can be unlocked through the war bond (battle pass). One of the items is a piece of armour that gives huge boosts in speed and takes some armour away. Doesn't quite sit right with me as this isn't just cosmetic.

I wonder how much you even read or looked at the store.

That PAID armor piece you are talking about, there's an exact equivalent piece (stat) you can get in the FREE warbond. The FREE warbond also has way more items. You can also buy that one piece of armour from the credits you get from the FREE warbond if it's such a bother to you. The paid stuff is just purely cosmetic.

Last edited:
The bad
This was my concern. I know I'll enjoy the shit out of this game but wish they went with the Chivalry 2 or Deep Rock Galactic battle pass model where you can complete it whenever you want with no expiration date. Plus, anything armor related should be cosmetic only.

I'll wait for a little before committing. Thanks for the heads up.

begotten

From reeee:

Devs said disabling crossplay will help with quickplay to make it work.

It's still shitting itself, turned it off after playing with different people for a couple of hours and matchmaking is bugging out even quicker lol

This was my concern. I know I'll enjoy the shit out of this game but wish they went with the Chivalry 2 or Deep Rock Galactic battle pass model where you can complete it whenever you want with no expiration date. Plus, anything armor related should be cosmetic only.

I'll wait for a little before committing. Thanks for the heads up.
To be fair, someone else commented to say that stuff in the store is cosmetic only and that same piece of armour can be had in the battle pass but looks slightly different.

Playing more and I unlocked 18 warbonds after 1 mission. The battle pass model actually seems pretty fair.

I'll edit my previous post to reflect.

To be fair, someone else commented to say that stuff in the store is cosmetic only and that same piece of armour can be had in the battle pass but looks slightly different.

Playing more and I unlocked 18 warbonds after 1 mission. The battle pass model actually seems pretty fair.

I'll edit my previous post to reflect.
Thanks for the info man. I'll get some reviews and see if I jump in early. I loved the first game so I want this to succeed.

Top Bottom