• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Helldivers 2 |OT| Another bug infested game

draliko

Certification.

By the way wasn't it supposed to prevent such problems in the first place? Or maybe you are just paying and waiting for a bunch of cert guys to jerk off
certification serve so your update doesn't brick the console or expose exploits os bugs for mods, not for game avoiding game bugs

This GaaS wave is the best thing to hit gaming ever.
Music Festival No GIF by Cosmic Accents

stickkidsam

I didn’t get into the first game. Is this worth it for solo play? I tried the first one and it was kinda boring. Reminds me of Alien Shooter but more focused on Co-Op? Idk if I want this or not. 🤔
I’ve been doing some solo matches on medium difficulty and it’s pretty damn intense sometimes. The game is absolutely at its best with a crew or even randoms. The gunplay is a lot of fun though and the enemies are great to fight. If you just want to play solo occasionally then the game is absolutely doable at the lower difficulties (once you’ve gotten the gameplay down).

Reactions: Isa

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Hard difficulty is insane, our squad of 4 swarmed on all sides by dozens of bugs of all shapes and sizes, at least I got to call in my new Orbital barrage strategem and devastate the battlefield lol. Most players are playing smart, no mics needed, the gestures are there if necessary, marking objectives on map is usually enough, everyone knows what to do.

Give credit to Arrowhead where it's due, they fixed the issues in little over 24 hours. Compare this to Blizzard where I was experiencing rampant rubber-banding *while playing D4 solo* for weeks after release, wonder if they ever resolved those issues. Here you've got 4 players unleashing all hell, bugs out the yin yang, multiple air strikes raining from the sky, bug giblets flying through the air, real time terrain deformation, explosions galore, all without barely a hitch in the framerate (texture pop-in sucks though).

Pro-tip PlayStation: buy Arrowhead and let them make stuff like this. Imagine if they had a 1st party budget what they could do. Now back into the fray soldier, the nukes won't launch themselves! For freedom!

Edit: do not try to solo a Bile Titan 😂😂😂

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
This game is the Dark Souls of matchmaking. Speaking of that, is there a way to force what difficulty levels are used in Quick Play?

The change in perspective helps out more than I thought it would. I didn't care for the first but I didn't invest a lot of time in it. The sequel has a lot of deliberate design decisions from the first (reloading throwing away unspent bullets, the DDR mini-game for calling in support options, etc.).
I’m gonna try it out. Picked it up for PS5.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Just installed and played a couple of missions. It's pretty good.

Anyone want to join and play together? Add me on PSN: TheHeisenberg007 (and let me know your ID here if it's different). << tommib tommib

ManaByte

Gold Member
This game is the Dark Souls of matchmaking. Speaking of that, is there a way to force what difficulty levels are used in Quick Play?

Quickplay is placing you in a game that's already started by a host, so you play what difficulty they have selected.

Kings Field

Played last night with my friend and a couple missions in one person joined from my Froends list and one person we didn’t know. I have my stuff set to open so anyone can join so I’m assuming that’s how they got in.

Nevertheless, we had a blast. Some of the best coop fun since Destiny.

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Yes indeed:

and what's more, when you're on the *ground* and look up you'll often see Helldivers deploying onto the same map (though they obviously won't appear in your game). Like I said, presentation is second to none and they really nailed that feeling of being in an actual, galactic conflict with tangible evidence of the war effort unfolding before your very eyes.

Luipadre

I bought it on PS5 and played around 2 hours today. Game plays even better than it looks, holy shit its fun. Only played solo so far because matchmaking is still completely broken for me. Also the game doesnt look that bad in performance mode, i expected worse based on some impressions.

HDR is great, UI scale at 90% looks good and you can add a little curve to it like destiny HUD. You can make everything dynamic too, great job UI team. Im using performance mode with AA on and motion blur off at 0.90 sharpness and honestly... the game looks great and its smooth 60. Really impressed with the game and i love how the online elements works (when they fix the issues).

The whole liberation stuff and moving forward with the campaign to different planets are awesome and the way you can (again if they fix it) join others from the planet map

This game will be a huge success and deservedly so

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
PS5 update working and quick play is instantaneous. I think I’ll be playing this like hell. It’s like cocaine and Xanax together. Shame I ended up on an easy difficulty session. DenchDeckard DenchDeckard was that you?

I’m sad I have to socialize for the rest of the day because “we live in a society”. Will be back later tonight. Kill all bugs for me, people.

Yeah I jumped in with you for around 10 mins and then the host left. :( I'll be on later

R6Rider

Gold Member
Im using performance mode with AA on and motion blur off at 0.90 sharpness and honestly... the game looks great and its smooth 60.
Same settings I use.

The only time it looks a bit wonky is the "stat" screen showing each player looks very low res or the FSR effect is very noticeable.
There's also a bit of pixelation on further away explosions along the edges of the "blast" but it's not as easy to spot.

Other than that I've had HUGE swarms of enemies on screen with explosions and it's ran fantastic.

Luipadre

Same settings I use.

The only time it looks a bit wonky is the "stat" screen showing each player looks very low res or the FSR effect is very noticeable.
There's also a bit of pixelation on further away explosions along the edges of the "blast" but it's not as easy to spot.

Other than that I've had HUGE swarms of enemies on screen with explosions and it's ran fantastic.

Yeah they showed all those laggy ass footages in their trailers man... game looks 100% better at smooth 60

Markio128

Gold Member
I managed to squeeze in an hour or so (4 missions) with a group of randoms, and it was a lot of fun. I didn’t notice any issues on PS5, so not sure if I was lucky or not. Great pick up and play kind of game though.

Last edited:

SCB3

So far my biggest non Matchmaking gripe is that Are supplies shared through the whole team? Like does it matter who picks them up? Cause the Ship Upgrades are pricy already without having to fight for resources with others

Also, we really need a "Return to your ship" after a session, right now its a bit clunky to do

Zheph

So far my biggest non Matchmaking gripe is that Are supplies shared through the whole team? Like does it matter who picks them up? Cause the Ship Upgrades are pricy already without having to fight for resources with others

Also, we really need a "Return to your ship" after a session, right now its a bit clunky to do
Currency is for everyone no matter who picks it up.

You can go to the pod where you arrive to directly return to your ship or press start

ManaByte

Gold Member
So far my biggest non Matchmaking gripe is that Are supplies shared through the whole team? Like does it matter who picks them up?
The re supply drops? I believe it resupplies whatever that player is using. So it doesn’t matter who picks it up. Same thing goes for the ammo on the maps. It’s generic and resupplies whatever gun you’re using.

SCB3

The re supply drops? I believe it resupplies whatever that player is using. So it doesn’t matter who picks it up. Same thing goes for the ammo on the maps. It’s generic and resupplies whatever gun you’re using.
I meant the Green currency stuff

yurinka

Curious about campaign. How does this work?
Imagine a galactic Risk map split in different groups of planets.

In the center there are the planets 100% controlled by humans. In the left, planets 100% controlled by some kind of jedi Terminators. In the right, planets 100% controlled by the giant bugs.

In the 2 borders between 3 regions there's a group of planets not fully controlled by aliens or humans, who control a % of the planet that it's constantly changing. Each time some player completes a mission helps to increase the % of the humans.

So you can make missions on a few planets to fight robots, or missions in other few planets to fight bugs. You can select different isolated spots of these planets, to start them yourself or join players who already are there and ask for help. You can see the ships of other players in the orbits of the planet, deploying players or making some big attacks from the ship.

Depending on that progress shared by all players (which I assume it's tweaked in the backstage by the devs), at some point humans will 100% control the group of a few planets that are in one of the frontiers. That should unlock the next group of players, some reward to all players who contributed, maybe some story event and new planets (with their own biomes, maybe new enemy types, weapons, etc).

As an example, they announced that you'll be able to pilot mechs. So maybe they will be unlocked when players control one of these regions.

There is none.

You drop in to planets, do missions, rinse and repeat. Fun game, but they’ll need to add a good deal more if it’s going to hold people’s attention.

Is galactic risk map explained above by yurinka, does it have some mmo component or is it smoke and mirrors??

Luipadre

Is galactic risk map explained above by yurinka, does it have some mmo component or is it smoke and mirrors??

Its all real time based on player progress, its not smoke and mirrors. You can even see the currently online players planet by planet, or dead players, or even shoots fired

Last edited:

Ogbert

Gold Member
The galactic map is really just a nice way of presenting the rotation of maps.

There’s no mmo component. The game provides excellent 30 minute bursts of enjoyable shooting. You can grind stuff in the background. It’s likely not going to be your main game, but it will be one to dip into at regular intervals.

Killjoy-NL

How is it still broken... wtf. Yeah, Sony is really ready for a live service push. :/
It's broken, but it works. Just keep at it.

Been playing co-op through Quickplay all day long and getting into a match is annoying, but not gamebreaking anymore.

R6Rider

Gold Member
So fucking addicting. Unlocking new shit.

Playing mostly on Challenging now and can't wait to see what other planets and difficulties have in store.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
So Challenging and above is where the real spice is; not just in difficulty but adjustments to combat and the environment. The Medium and below missions were getting pretty hoo-hum, but Challenging feels like an actual scenario where you are having to work TOGETHER instead of just calling down strike after strike after strike.

Quickplay is placing you in a game that's already started by a host, so you play what difficulty they have selected.

I. . .don't think that's true. I've used QP and don't think I've ever actually dropped into a map other than during a mission that was specifically in progress.

Top Bottom