• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Helldivers 2 |OT| Another bug infested game

DeaDPo0L84

Me on vacation waiting to get home, to be fair I've been away for a week:
dUW199Z.jpg

This almost never happens but I've already played 15 hours. With a squad this is one of my favourite multiplayer games ever. The robot planets are fucking insane.

The gameplay loop of blowing up a bunch of bases and just getting out with your life on slightly harder difficulties is awesome. It helps that the sound and visuals are outstanding.

GymWolf

Gold Member
This almost never happens but I've already played 15 hours. With a squad this is one of my favourite multiplayer games ever. The robot planets are fucking insane.

The gameplay loop of blowing up a bunch of bases and just getting out with your life on slightly harder difficulties is awesome. It helps that the sound and visuals are outstanding.
I tried to reach you the whole night, were you in a full squad all the time? the social page showed 3/4...

This game is awesome fun, especially the Coop weapons. Auto cannon kicks ass, also didn't know you could go first person mode (R3 while aiming) with pretty much all weapons.
Also another tip if you guys didn't know, if you hold down Square you can mod some things on your weapons, be it fire rate, zoom etc.

Last edited:
This sure looks pretty - on PC at least 'cause I've read in here that the PS5 version isn't a looker in comparison, any truth to that boys ? How worse.does it look and/or run ?
Game looks insane on pc. Best looking game ive played in a while.

Running 32:9 5120x1440 with everything maxed at native. Getting like 40-60 fps with a 3090 and 7800x 3d.

Also don’t forget to turn off mouse smoothing in the settings!

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
This is horse shit. We get to the extraction part and the game crashes.

This is straight up unnacceptable garbage shit.

bender

What time is it?
This is horse shit. We get to the extraction part and the game crashes.

This is straight up unnacceptable garbage shit.

Finally got into a game after 30 minutes of searching. Our fourth player got dropped from the game after 30 minutes as we were heading to the extraction point.

I'd probably refund it if Sony allowed and I say that as someone who really enjoy the game when it works.

Reactions: Isa

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Finally got into a game after 30 minutes of searching. Our fourth player got dropped from the game after 30 minutes as we were heading to the extraction point.

I'd probably refund it if Sony allowed and I say that as someone who really enjoy the game when it works.
Went back to play and crashed after one mission again. Literally the ship just came down so I can finish.

Fuck this game. Refund time.

• Empathy

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I didn’t get into the first game. Is this worth it for solo play? I tried the first one and it was kinda boring. Reminds me of Alien Shooter but more focused on Co-Op? Idk if I want this or not. 🤔

bender

What time is it?
This game is the Dark Souls of matchmaking. Speaking of that, is there a way to force what difficulty levels are used in Quick Play?

I didn’t get into the first game. Is this worth it for solo play? I tried the first one and it was kinda boring. Reminds me of Alien Shooter but more focused on Co-Op? Idk if I want this or not. 🤔

The change in perspective helps out more than I thought it would. I didn't care for the first but I didn't invest a lot of time in it. The sequel has a lot of deliberate design decisions from the first (reloading throwing away unspent bullets, the DDR mini-game for calling in support options, etc.).

Coconutt

Played this on my ROG Ally on medium and had no issues at all, ran great and plays surprisingly well on handheld.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
This game is the Dark Souls of matchmaking. Speaking of that, is there a way to force what difficulty levels are used in Quick Play?

The change in perspective helps out more than I thought it would. I didn't care for the first but I didn't invest a lot of time in it. The sequel has a lot of deliberate design decisions from the first (reloading throwing away unspent bullets, the DDR mini-game for calling in support options, etc.).

Yeah, when you're on the world map you can cycle the difficulty at the bottom then just hit quick search.

Game is incredible when working...

I hope I can fix my crashing today, it's got me paranoid about my PC.

On the graphics, it can look absolutely bonkers on a high end PC. I had a scenario where I wqs running up a hill that was covered in low level fog and the sun wws glaring through the crest of the hill and smoke/fog effects. It was the most insane looking environmental effects I've seen. It all came together to look absolutely breathtaking.

When I'm playing a game like this, I can't help but think what it must feel like to be the devs on the day it all clicks together...playing it and the impact of the guns, the reticle dancing around letting you line up your shots, the limbs flying off and the incredible sound design and graphics.

Good on them, awesome work!

Now fix my crashing...

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Yeah, when you're on the world map you can cycle the difficulty at the bottom then just hit quick search.

Knew about this but it doesn't determine the difficulty of the Quick Match you join Unless that is broken on PS5 too...

Last edited:

Zheph

its such a great MP game. We moved to difficulty 5 with some friends, everything is so intense and fun
it's been a while we haven't laughed that much

bender

What time is it?
its much better in coop but a few friends are enjoying it solo too

The problem with solo play, at least for us mere mortals, is that the game gets so much more interesting on the harder difficulty levels and those aren't going to be management by one person. Not to mention you need to play higher difficulty levels to get the resources to upgrade your ship. I played on difficulty five earlier today and just navigating a few steps on the map made you feel like you were a hair away from being overwhelmed. Not sure I've had that feeling since L4D.

bender

What time is it?
5am EST and still can't quickplay :( (and no friends online)
Psn: PectacularOz

Some tips to help improve quickplay (it's still miserable no matter what):

-Turn off cross-play in the options menu.
-When you hit square to initiate quickplay, you can hit square again to turn it off. Don't let it search more than a few seconds before cancelling and searching again.
-Try searching from different planets. Searching from Earth searches for all planets.

Zheph

The problem with solo play, at least for us mere mortals, is that the game gets so much more interesting on the harder difficulty levels and those aren't going to be management by one person. Not to mention you need to play higher difficulty levels to get the resources to upgrade your ship. I played on difficulty five earlier today and just navigating a few steps on the map made you feel like you were a hair away from being overwhelmed. Not sure I've had that feeling since L4D.
Yeah personally I won't launch the game if no one is available to play with me but as you said we are only "mere mortals" some people are completing wild games with one finger so they might enjoy that

tommib

Gold Member
PS5 update working and quick play is instantaneous. I think I’ll be playing this like hell. It’s like cocaine and Xanax together. Shame I ended up on an easy difficulty session. DenchDeckard DenchDeckard was that you?

I’m sad I have to socialize for the rest of the day because “we live in a society”. Will be back later tonight. Kill all bugs for me, people.

Last edited:

SCB3

Finally got into a few Quick Match games and yea its a lot of fun and surprisingly people play the objectives! No team shooting, no trolling just plain old fun

tommib

Gold Member
How are people doing the antenna calibration without voice talk? I end up nailing it by chance with other players.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Ah sorry dude, should have shot me a message and I'd have restarted the lobby!

I'm running a D&D session tonight but might be on for a bit after. If I see you about, I'll send you an invite.
I would never force myself into an already full squad dude, no need to say sorry.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
After about ten hours, I really hope things get more interesting at the tail end of difficulty in this game. I dunno; while the game can be fun in bursts, it can also hit a bit of a lull of "Okay we're doing this again." All GaaS games have this issue, but I feel like I'm pressing up against it sooner in HD2 than you'd expect.

Definitely feel like this is not just a co-op game, but a co-op game with friends, as random MM has just too wide a variance on game experience (some matches they'll actually go for all optional objectives, some they'll just hit main mission and extract in five, others you're down three reenforce because folks are just spray and praying).

. . .AH needs to put out a roadmap, as I suspect this is it for a good minute.

Kaleinc

Banned
Well since launch it seems broken. I haven't matched with randoms reliably, and the devs are apparently pushing a fix out.

The irritating thing is PC has the fix, while on ps5 we are waiting.
Certification.

By the way wasn't it supposed to prevent such problems in the first place? Or maybe you are just paying and waiting for a bunch of cert guys to jerk off

Top Bottom