• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Helldivers 2 |OT| Another bug infested game

Are the chargers on trampolines for anyone else?
They were hopping hundreds of meters into the air... and then, for no reason at all, the game crashed.

The new defense mission "Rescue scientist team" is brutal. Couldn't succeed one. After around 20 civilian rescued, we were completed overwhelmed by the bots. Might try the stun orbital, sentries and smoke to cover the scientist.

Also did a bot mission lvl 5 solo. I was playing full stealth and I was surprised how good it worked. I was crawling most of the time with the minimap open to avoid patrol.
My 120 and 380 mm orbital strikes did the destruction work. My mortar sentry cleans smalle camp or act as a diversion for allowing me looting deserted camp.
I could even drop a hellbomb in a middle of an enemy artillery camp on the back of bots xD. Quickly set it on and run away. So good.
Did the 3 secondary objectives, the main one (hard drive collection and delivery and sending data) and clear several factory without getting in a fight.

I also took EAT but didn't have to use them. Next time I'll try with smoke orbital to see if it helps me infiltrate enemy camp better.
Holy shit my squad completely failed at the Rescue mission. First time any of us got kinda pissy at the game. We made it through Suicide Mission bug mission but robots in general are fucking us up hard even on Challenging.

Interfectum

Rescue missions are fucking epic. They are wrecking pick up groups. I only managed to beat two of five last night. Pretty hard without a coordinated team but I love the chaos.

DelireMan7

Holy shit my squad completely failed at the Rescue mission. First time any of us got kinda pissy at the game. We made it through Suicide Mission bug mission but robots in general are fucking us up hard even on Challenging.
Yes this rescue mission are pure hell.

I don't know about the bots being more difficult in general. I am wondering if it's not biased.
I also had this feeling at the beginning but I spend the first 20h only on bugs. Then when I tried bots, they're felt really oppressive with the constant fire, rockets, artillery...

But now I am use to it and find bugs more difficult/oppressive by being constantly at melee range.

Anyway I like how each faction is unique and offer very different playstyle. You really have to adapt your playstyle if you want to do well.

Zheph

For the defense missions with evacuation, you want to use subterfuge to get it done so I would recommend using smoke/EMS and shields. The automatons are completely lost in smoke and obviously EMS is stunning the pricks. The civilians will navigate between the smoke and you can extract after the job is done.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
For the defense missions with evacuation, you want to use subterfuge to get it done so I would recommend using smoke/EMS and shields. The automatons are completely lost in smoke and obviously EMS is stunning the pricks. The civilians will navigate between the smoke and you can extract after the job is done.
That's exactly what I was thinking to do the next time I dropped -- to provide a smoke cover for the refugees.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Fired this up on the Steam Deck (512GB LCD) and have a few thoughts. These are by no means comprehensive, just my initial tinkering with settings.

- Right out of the gate, it set the "Render Scale" to "Ultra", which I thought was prob too high, so I moved it down to just "Performance"
- Next, I did a preset to Medium, then tweaked a few things, turning Shadows to Low
- Motion Blur = off (presonal preference)
- Sharpness = cranked to max (I'm not sure how much this did anything or not, tbh)
- Render Distance = High
- Both Volumetric Cloud/Fog options to Low
- Anti-Aliasing = On

It performed fairly well, getting low to mid 30's usually, although when a huge crowd of bugs showed up I'd see top end of the 20's.
I'm sure there's probably a lot more tweaks I can try (didn't touch TDP or anything), but I just wanted to post my observations.

Killjoy-NL

That's exactly what I was thinking to do the next time I dropped -- to provide a smoke cover for the refugees.
I feel stupid.

Once I unlocked the smoke barrage, I took it with me non-stop, until I stopped doing it as nobody was making use of the opportunities to flee.

Somehow it didn't even cross my mind for the refugee missions. Lol

Mossybrew

Anyway I like how each faction is unique and offer very different playstyle. You really have to adapt your playstyle if you want to do well.
Yeah fought the robos for the first time last night and it's cool how different they are. Still haven't experienced any crashes on PS5, though I have now twice got the bug where your framerate completely tanks and the only solution is restarting the game. Anyway still having a blast playing this with my buds.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Everyone feel free to add me to your PS friends group. If we’re on, I’m down to group up. My skills are ok-good. Still learning the mechanics of it all.

PSN ID: FoxMcChief

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

Autocannon gives me so much more confidence taking on armored enemies. I know things will get more difficult but I'm loving it. Also just unlocked the Autocannon sentry, I love the Mortar Sentry but when bugs get close it can cause a bit of chaos.

Question for those playing on PC with a 60hz display: is vsync working properly for you? For some reason this game vsyncs to 120fps for me (double what my TV can display) with the in-game vsync setting. I have to use NVCP to force proper 60hz vsync.

Just trying to figure out if it's a game problem or something else is going on.

Last edited:

MikeM

Gold Member
I caved and bought on PC. Going through the training and maxxed out except volumetric clouds and fog at medium, quality upscale to 4k i’m at 80-95 fps.

Edit: crashed out after training.

Last edited:

panda-zebra

I caved and bought on PC. Going through the training and maxxed out except volumetric clouds and fog at medium, quality upscale to 4k i’m at 80-95 fps.

Edit: crashed out after training.
I think the game welcomes you to the ship the first time by having it crash as you go into the armour/equip menu. At least it did day one/two for both of us here.
I beat a couple bug missions solo. But I can’t get anything to work with matchmaking.
What platform?

MikeM

Gold Member
When I step on the platform, is anything supposed to happen? Its sitting on a squad screen?

Edit: nvm… pushed the wrong button

Last edited:

Mikado

Question for those playing on PC with a 60hz display: is vsync working properly for you? For some reason this game vsyncs to 120fps for me (double what my TV can display) with the in-game vsync setting. I have to use NVCP to force proper 60hz vsync.

Just trying to figure out if it's a game problem or something else is going on.

In HD2, Vsync only works in Exclusive Fullscreen, not Borderless Window Fullscreen.

Dunno why - there's no reason for it to not work everywhere.

Mobilemofo

If you get bogged down by bugs, runaway, make distance, turn and shoot, let run bar come back up..rinse and repeat. Sometimes, when your playing solo, it's the only way to survive (between that and preparing a strategem whilst running away..turn and lob..run..)

ManaByte

Gold Member
Guess everyone wants the bonus exp

3LfgQxY.jpg

cormack12

Gold Member
I don't understand how xp is given out. I'm crawling up, yet I'm taking samples out, my kills aren't particularly lagging and I'm never last. Wtf

Bombolone

Gold Member
Can’t wait to try this game.
I have been looking for a nice console multiplayer experience from Sony.
Last one that surprisingly took all my attention (platinum) was oddly enough Ghost of Tsushima.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
Finally got into a squad this afternoon. Fun playing together with randoms.

people killing me with friendly fire. But overall fun.

Top Bottom