• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Helldivers 2 |OT| Another bug infested game

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Hmm. I dont know about that. Maybe they mean helldivers online. I waited over 1h yesterday to get in on pc so I was in the Concurrent players on steam without counting into the online Concurrent players.
In that case, yeah, the PS5 CCU would be even higher.

ManaByte

Gold Member
giphy-downsized-large.gif

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Currently playing on PS5 with no issues, in nearly 40 hours of play I've had 3 crashes. Hopefully by next weekend they get everything ironed out and do another double XP for those who missed out on it due to not being able to connect.

Mobilemofo

I politely asked the Helldivers 2 community on twitter to get the fuck off so I can get on with dispensing democracy, Indiscriminately, last night. Wanted to dispense some democracy today, but the computer says "fuck off". If the spidery fucks and the poor man's terminators start pulling ahead, it will be because we could not dispense democracy at the appropriate times. Tossers. 😆

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Fookin' GAF made me 100+ Eurodollars poorer today , I'm drowning in games (Phantom liberty, Hogwart's, AW2, Robocop, No more heroes 3 AND tomb raider collection) but the hype for HD2 has been so massive (and growing ) that I just caved in the end, damn you boys !

Anyway, PS5 version here - my PS sub is about to expire in 2 days and I want to know if there are any incoming PS plus essential sub deals - doesn't Sony usually discount the 12 month one late January /February or am I misremembering things ? I'm pretty sure that these don't get discounted only during the BF period (?).

Anyway, looking forward in spreading some democracy

PS: the opening intro and general humour is some pretty funny shit, couldn't stop giggling

Last edited:
When you find credits or samples are these shared with everyone or no? What’s to stop someone from just murdering you by the drop ship and taking your stuff? I saw someone do that yesterday, just TK someone as the ship was landing but idk what the motivation was. So I shot him and extracted alone.

ManaByte

Gold Member
When you find credits or samples are these shared with everyone or no? What’s to stop someone from just murdering you by the drop ship and taking your stuff? I saw someone do that yesterday, just TK someone as the ship was landing but idk what the motivation was. So I shot him and extracted alone.

They're shared. When you die you drop them but someone else can pick them up. They're tracked in the upper right and are like exp. Shared among the squad.

clarky

Gold Member
I was refuting a stupid comment with the reality of the situation. Go back a page or two and you can see my gripes with the servers.

Also, they HAVE been ramping up since launch. That's why they are now able to cap the servers at ~450k capacity as opposed to their launch of ~200k (if I remember correctly from their Discord). Unfortunately, they simply can't keep up with the rising numbers. I wish I could have played earlier but sometimes we, as adults, have to be realistic about the situation. Either wait until the servers aren't being overloaded (just finished a 3 hour session with friends btw) or do something more productive with your Saturday night... or spend all of it crying on a gaming forum, I suppose.

Not surprised you can't figure out the significance of an AA indie game surpassing the highest CCU of one of the biggest AAA GaaS game to date. Surely, indie dev Arrowhead should have foreseen they'd reach those numbers.
Surely.
Yet they decided to have a double xp and free PS+ weekend right when they are coping the worst.

How stupid of me to call that out.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
$3.6 billion spent on Bungie and they couldn't tell Arrowhead to have servers that could support more than 450K players.
This weekend has been a shit show, why some are defending this is beyond me. Its not even launch weekend.

Did they turn matchmaking back on and is quickplay working yet?

Killjoy-NL

They were bought to help Sony's other studios with their GAAS games. And Destiny never had server caps like this.
Didn't they have like a top ~7K CCU with HD1?

Can't imagine they would ever have imagined getting to a point where they had to increase server capacity to 450K.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Probably would have been a good idea to have a beta.
Doubt it would've made much difference.

Even Destiny didn't get it right, that's with both an alpha and a beta.
While the servers issues suck, I think people should cut em some slack. It's clearly totally unexpected.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Doubt it would've made much difference.

Even Destiny didn't get right, that's with both an alpha and a beta.
While the servers issues suck, I think people should cut em some slack. It's clearly totally unexpected.
A beta would have let them iron out the matchmaking and quick play issues at the very least. Probably not with the server cap's though as it would have made the game even more popular lol.

Killjoy-NL

A beta would have let them iron out the matchmaking and quick play issues at the very least. Probably not with the server cap's though as it would have made the game even more popular lol.
I don't exactly know how that works. Just going to assume it's all tied together and would still create the same situation, but someone can correct me on that. Lol

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
$3.6 billion spent on Bungie and they couldn't tell Arrowhead to have servers that could support more than 450K players.

Does no one think this is possibly by design?

"Helldivers 2 is so fun they can't keep the servers up!"

That story being in the headlines for one full week POSSIBLY leads to more sales than if the servers are flawless.

Ballistic

Probably would have been a good idea to have a beta.
It’s been for what seems forever, but D1 suffered some major server growing pains as well because nobody new what the game was until you played it and it wasn’t on pc. The alpha and beta didn’t cure their issues. The same thing is happening with H2. Word of mouth is driving sales and engagement beyond what anybody at the studio or Sony thought to expect. My guess is preorders were soft, because let’s be honest the cheeky ads did nothing to sell the game at launch but they make sense now. I’m at 31 hours on ps5 with like 5 crashes. I haven’t engaged with a game like this since destiny and I can tell already that I’m forgoing FOMO the Show, and possibly final shape.

clarky

Gold Member
Does no one think this is possibly by design?

"Helldivers 2 is so fun they can't keep the servers up!"

That story being in the headlines for one full week POSSIBLY leads to more sales than if the servers are flawless.
Don't be silly. No-one intentionally borks their own product and pisses of their customers. Well not unless your MS.

cebri.one

Lots of complains but I've been able to play for 2 horus straight no issues. Yes, sometimes it takes 10 min to join but seems to be improving.

Amazing game.

Reactions: Isa

clarky

Gold Member
It’s been for what seems forever, but D1 suffered some major server growing pains as well because nobody new what the game was until you played it and it wasn’t on pc. The alpha and beta didn’t cure their issues. The same thing is happening with H2. Word of mouth is driving sales and engagement beyond what anybody at the studio or Sony thought to expect. My guess is preorders were soft, because let’s be honest the cheeky ads did nothing to sell the game at launch but they make sense now. I’m at 31 hours on ps5 with like 5 crashes. I haven’t engaged with a game like this since destiny and I can tell already that I’m forgoing FOMO the Show, and possibly final shape.
D1 is ten years old, that game was hyped beyond belief, and P2P. They bought Bungie, are you saying nothing has been learned in ten years??

The 2 are not comparable in anyway.

If you look at the buzz online, the customers don't seem to be pissed. The talk is overwhelmingly positive.
8000 negative vs12000 positive steam reviews over the last 48 hours say otherwise.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Anyone saying they should have predicted these server needs - please point me to your posts from two months ago saying that Helldiver's 2 will be bigger than Starfield. I would very much like to read them.
Nobody (well not me) is saying that.

What im saying is the online features such as matchmaking and quickplay should be working from day one.

And its not a great idea to remove PS+ requirements and hold a double xp weekend right when your servers are already on fire.

yurinka

Most of the budget Sony had left for acquisitions during this fiscal year was saved to use it instead in servers for SIE games.

But it isn't as easy as to pay for more servers: different things get saturated and broken at a different point. When games reach a certain level some things start to fail, when they reach beyond other ones fail etc. So can't grow too fast because at lot of things would fail. They need to keep fixing and optimizing things as they grow to fix some stuff before other issues appear.

On top of that, the best/most optimal server stuff changes depending on the userbase size: things that are best for smaller stuff is different than the ones that are best for huge stuff. So when the game grows a lot they need to change a lot of things and do a lot of work. It isn't just paying for more servers.

Thanks to the help, data, tech and knowledge from people like Bungie even if experiencing some issues the game works and servers don't totally collapse, plus the game has a good, player friendly monetization and supposedly good upcoming post launch support. So Helldivers 2 is better thanks in part to having acquired Bungie.

Nobody (well not me) is saying that.

What im saying is the online features such as matchmaking and quickplay should be working from day one.

And its not a great idea to remove PS+ requirements and hold a double xp weekend right when your servers are already on fire.
Matchmaking was working, but they got an userbase 50x bigger than the peak they got in Helldivers one so it got saturated.

They have been implementing multiple fixes and optimizations, and continue working on it. Stuff that needs work and time.

I think the free PS+ or double XP things were a good ideas but not for this weekend: instead in the future once the server saturation gets solved.

Last edited:

Mahavastu

Not really...
They are a rather small company, the old game did not do that well and there was no real hype before launch. I guess they just did not expect that many players as we see now.
If you expect X number of players and you now have 5*X players, you will most likely have not enough reserves in server power and such run into problems.

They always write that they invest and increase the maximum number of players their servers can survive, but it seems this increase is too small. They can solve the problems by doing putting more money in server power and fix the problem that way. I doubt a beta would have helped in this situation

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Not really...
They are a rather small company, the old game did not that well and there was no real hype before launch. I guess they just did not expect that many players as we see now.
If you expect X number of players and you now have 5*X players, you will most likely have not enough reserves in server power and such run into problems.

They always write that they invest and increase the maximum number of players their servers can survive, but it seems this increase is too small. They can solve the problems by doing putting more money in server power and fix the problem that way. I doubt a beta would have helped in this situation
well done for ignoring my post completely.

Top Bottom