• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Helldivers 2 |OT| Another bug infested game

DelireMan7

Now that the game has been out for a while, what do you guys think of it? Is all the praise justified. Thinking about picking it up for PS5.
A big YES !

Despite all the crashes and launch issue (and most are now fixed), the game is incredibly fun. The gameplay loop is working extremely well.
It's just fun to do mission after mission, exploring maps, shooting things, calling orbital strikes and killing accidentally your teammates.

New content is on its way. A very bright future is coming for this game.

DelireMan7

Also, I see all the leaks for upcoming content and I am really excited. Give me that crossbow and the vehicle for all my squad.
Vehicles were a bit disappointing in HD1. They were mainly a good way to get you whole squad instantly killed by a charger (and they were no auto respawn so it was a game over).
In addition, it was only a one time use. If destroyed you couldn't call another one. I guess here it will be like support weapons, they'll have a long cooldown.

I am really glad they made all the support weapons recallable with a cooldown. In HD1, I didn't use a lot of support weapons (aside from the heal gun) because if you died and couldn't get it back, you just lost a stratagem slot since you can't call it back.
Now I am always taking one. And yesterday, I did runs without support weapons and use what I found on the map. Really like it. Found the arc thrower (love this one) and at one point I was chased by a dozens of bugs and came across the grenade launcher. So I quickly grab it and brought some democracy to my chasers.

This game is so fun !

Last edited:

cebri.one

WqfEWLA.jpg

Luipadre

Im taking a little break since FF came out, but i expect a bigger patch to arrive next week and new warbonds/mechs coming in 2 weeks aswell? Definitely gonna check it out

Killjoy-NL

Aw man, I pre-ordered HD2 on a bit of an impulse to have something to do to make the wait for FFVII Rebirth easier, but now that I have Rebirth, all I can think about is HD2.

Smh.

Alebrije

Yesterday payed with randoms on the most difficult level and have a "Doom moment" while waiting the rescue ship and 30 seconds before arriving my team died so all the bugs started chsing me. Reached a small elevated área and they surround me...was crazy and at the same time one guy on the team was screaming like crazy..." Dont die".. on Suicide there are Chargers , Bilis giant, and tons of small Bugs...and when You are surrounded You think it's all done but the Game gives You a small chance to survive if You jump at the right spot. There are games that You know o.matter what You do You Will die , Helldivers has this little hope That.maybe You can do it and this happened to me , jumped like crazy and reached the ship to leave the planet.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Yesterday payed with randoms on the most difficult level and have a "Doom moment" while waiting the rescue ship and 30 seconds before arriving my team died so all the bugs started chsing me. Reached a small elevated área and they surround me...was crazy and at the same time one guy on the team was screaming like crazy..." Dont die".. on Suicide there are Chargers , Bilis giant, and tons of small Bugs...and when You are surrounded You think it's all done but the Game gives You a small chance to survive if You jump at the right spot. There are games that You know o.matter what You do You Will die , Helldivers has this little hope That.maybe You can do it and this happened to me , jumped like crazy and reached the ship to leave the planet.

The game could have really leaned into this and made it special, instead we get that silly reinforcement call in system that mutes intensity and variety.

This is legit hyper coolness!
Sort of, there's been some pushback by the community about how this is handled, as it looks like the game isn't balanced towards this many people. So what ends up happening is the community gets a massive advantage on taking a planet. Only for the next day the percentage to go down to 10% , it happened a few times, but people got pissed off when the newest major order was reached to like 75% only for the GM to reduce it to like 20-30% (Community gets 45 medals if we win this one). Nobody is happy and people are trying to cope on Discord saying they're just trying to tell a narrative and we should keep playing, but they kinda soured the community already with those insane defence missions (to which the devs said, you ain't supposed to win everytime). plus the armor not working since release to... oh btw our GM thinks you guys are too fast, yoink all that progression for the day is lost.

The biggest problem this game has is that the gameplay loop at least half of it is missing from HD1. The vehicles were there for a reason in HD1 (which we are getting them), to have a fighting chance on the last difficulties. Also not having weapon upgrades, and most armor and weapon being broken for a month, yet still having a meta narrative happen is just not fun.

Yeah I was a little worried how they would handle the percentage things... like if they are just going to arbitrarily change progress midway through then they might as well just scrap the whole mechanic because it is pointless. If they set a high bar, and half the server logs in to complete it, then their response should be "hell yeah we got half the player base playing" not "shit lets reset that, they were supposed to lose!"

The only reason Maleveon Creek became a trending meme was because people thought they actually were contributing to something and could have influenced the result. Take that away and nobody will care. No influencer or streamer is going to rally their followers to log in when they know the progress will just be deleted.

If this guy is going to call himself a GM and not pivot on the fly when the players do something unexpected like a good D&D DM would, then maybe they need to pick someone else.

The Stig

Whenever I play this and I'm running away from a bug horde I just realized I should not have pissed off in my head I hear:

I have the strength and the courage to be free,
I have the strength and the courage to be free

*dies*

Mobilemofo

Whenever I play this and I'm running away from a bug horde I just realized I should not have pissed off in my head I hear:

I have the strength and the courage to be free,

*dies*
Strange you say that...I just finished a game where I was running for my life, whilst listening to "the power" by snap..it served to empower my will to survive and I cleaned up. 😅 To dispensing democracy!!

Yerd

Well I caved and bought the game even though I am not a very big online gaming feller. It looks so fun. I might boot it up tonight, forced to play on laptop first.

It's going to be put aside when DD2 comes out.

I can't believe I didn't realize that Arrowhead Studios made Magicka. I friggin' loved Magicka and would beg my friends to play it with me when it came out.

What time is it for you? I'd be down to play here in a few minutes after my daughter goes to bed.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Played for a few hours.

I think that only 4 players on a HUGE af maps with absolute zero armored vehicles with turrets etc. to travel faster, kill tons of bugs on the way and not dying a bunch are insanely stupid idea. Why can't you do stuff like this at all like in Halo games which had way more compact maps? I just don't get it. It's stupid.

The maps are huge, you can't travel fast even while sprinting, you die fast and there's not much you can do about that. The way you collect resources and stuff are extremely stingy (you'll get lucky if you get 10+ of them and you need to do that dozens of times to unlock just one thing out of a dozen) and the fact that you lose everything after dying and need to collect it back (that is if someone else won't pick it up), by walking slowly to where you lost it, while being chased by bugs which you can't outrun... Ugh, It's so boring and tedious to travel through all these vast expanses on foot even with a group of people.

I can't even imagine how long it'll take to not feel like a complete pos while playing the game even with 4 people, unlocking most upgrades etc. The core gameplay is fun and especially gunplay if you're playing the game using DualSense, but there's so much stuff missing from the game and which should be there that it's just super frustrating to play. I mean, I know that you're supposed to be an expendable sack of meat, but c'mon.

I'll try to get back to the game a few months later (maybe during summer) to see what they did, but at this point it's just bare bones and missing a lot of stuff which should be in the game to provide more and way better options to have fun, while also completely removing the feeling of being a complete pos which can barely do anything on the battlefield and stay alive to not only complete main objectives, but a lot of optional ones as well. And again, only 4 people is stupid! There must be at least 4 more of not 6.

Last edited:

The Fuzz damn you!

Gold Member
Played for a few hours.

I think that only 4 players on a HUGE af maps with absolute zero armored vehicles with turrets etc. to travel faster, kill tons of bugs on the way and not dying a bunch are insanely stupid idea. Why can't you do stuff like this at all like in Halo games which had way more compact maps? I just don't get it. It's stupid.

The maps are huge, you can't travel fast even while sprinting, you die fast and there's not much you can do about that. The way you collect resources and stuff are extremely stingy (you'll get lucky if you get 10+ of them and you need to do that dozens of times to unlock just one thing out of a dozen) and the fact that you lose everything after dying and need to collect it back (that is if someone else won't pick it up), by walking slowly to where you lost it, while being chased by bugs which you can't outrun... Ugh, It's so boring and tedious to travel through all these vast expanses on foot even with a group of people.

I think that maybe this game just isn’t for you.

Commie.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Oh cut it out will ya :D. DualSense kicks ass, you can use it on PC too so shush :p.
At best It's a cool gimmick that doesn't turn bad gunplay in good gunplay and viceversa, having a vibration always come third after visual and audio feedback.

Also i hate symmetric sticks so thank god i can use any other controller on pc with far better specs like hall effect sticks and triggers and back buttons and good battery life, i take that over gimmicks.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
At best It's a cool gimmick that doesn't turn bad gunplay in good gunplay and viceversa, having a vibration always come third after visual and audio feedback.
Oh yeah, forgot about the nice controller speaker, thanks :). Having very nice feedback on the controller and triggers is just as important, not sure why we have to pretend it is not. It enhances gameplay. My favorite controllers (D-Pad aside MFers… 😡) are DS and Steam Deck for a reason.

Good haptic feedback impact on games discussions sound like arguments with people that does not have surround sound speakers and wants to pretend it is a gimmick and TV speakers stereo / virtual sound is just as good.

Also i hate symmetric sticks so thank god i can use any other controller on pc with far better specs like hall effect sticks and triggers and back buttons and good battery life, i take that over gimmicks.
Sorry, I have symmetric hands, cannot follow your hate of symmetric sticks :p.

Hall effect sticks may prevent drift, but unless drift occurs they do not much if anything at all, so we can lower the snake oil here. You are free to buy the more expensive DS with back buttons :p.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Oh yeah, forgot about the nice controller speaker, thanks :). Having very nice feedback on the controller and triggers is just as important, not sure why we have to pretend it is not. It enhances gameplay. My favorite controllers (D-Pad aside MFers… 😡) are DS and Steam Deck for a reason.

Good haptic feedback impact on games discussions sound like arguments with people that does not have surround sound speakers and wants to pretend it is a gimmick and TV speakers stereo / virtual sound is just as good.

Sorry, I have symmetric hands, cannot follow your hate of symmetric sticks :p.

Hall effect sticks may prevent drift, but unless drift occurs they do not much if anything at all, so we can lower the snake oil here. You are free to buy the more expensive DS with back buttons :p.
Agree to disagree, having a vibration or resistant triggers doesn't improve gameplay one bit, it's a thing that many people lower or turn off because it mess with precision aiming or because it put more strain in the fingers, you think people use vibration and special triggers during tournaments or super competitive games? cmon buddy, you know the answer, at best it's a gimmick for single player, atmospheric games, there is a reason why good controllers have the option to turn on the hair trigger mode so you only have to press the trigger for a couple of mm to get the input in, that is what gives you an edge (or having back buttons), not a vibration.

And you are not gonna turn dogshit gunplay into good gunplay because something vibrate in your hands, max payne 3 still spank most games even if you use a ps1 controller.

And sticks and triggers are not all the same just because they don't have hall effect, better quality triggers and sticks are a thing, this is why you have a large range of pricing on controllers,and the sticks and triggers in the dual sense are nothing special, the controller pack a lot of tech so they had to cut corners in other things, sony is not a charity company.

And since many people had drift in the ds5, hall sticks is hardly snake oil effect, and no, i'm not gonna spend 200 dollars for the upgraded dual sense when yuo can spend less and buy a product with even more features (and with a decent battery life):messenger_blowing_kiss:

The thing i admire most in the ds5 is being big and heavy and that the wireless connection has less input lags than some wired controllers, that's cool.

But we are off topic, i was just responding to the guy that said that the gunplay is good if you use the ds5, because that is pure horse shit, the gunplay is sublime no matter what controller you use.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Agree to disagree, having a vibration or resistant triggers doesn't improve gameplay one bit, it's a thing that many people lower or turn off because it mess with precision aiming or because it put more strain in the fingers, you think people use vibration and special triggers during tournaments or super competitive games?
I am not sure when I game I care about esports or super competitive tournaments where the goal is to win against others not to enjoy the experience. So you are taking an extreme edge case and trying to imply haptics feedback do not add to the experience. Maybe in those super competitive games they also tone down graphics for even higher framerates and sounds / music. So what?

And since many people had drift in the ds5, hall sticks is hardly snake oil effec
You claimed it makes games better implying it does when the controller is effectively not broken. Many people never had significant drift or any drift at all in the controller. Hall effect sticks do not effect the gameplay one bit (that is the part I referred to as snake oil), they are more resilient.

But we are off topic, i was just responding to the guy that said that the gunplay is good if you use the ds5, because that is pure horse shit, the gunplay is sublime no matter what controller you use.
The gunplay is good, it feels better on controllers with good haptics like SD and DS. So, not horseshit :p.

Last edited:

phvk

Neo Member
Played for a few hours.

I can't even imagine how long it'll take to not feel like a complete pos while playing the game even with 4 people, unlocking most upgrades etc. The core gameplay is fun and especially gunplay if you're playing the game using DualSense, but there's so much stuff missing from the game and which should be there that it's just super frustrating to play. I mean, I know that you're supposed to be an expendable sack of meat, but c'mon.

I'll try to get back to the game a few months later (maybe during summer) to see what they did, but at this point it's just bare bones and missing a lot of stuff which should be in the game to provide more and way better options to have fun, while also completely removing the feeling of being a complete pos which can barely do anything on the battlefield and stay alive to not only complete main objectives, but a lot of optional ones as well. And again, only 4 people is stupid! There must be at least 4 more of not 6.
What difficulty are you playing? Maps feel a little vacant in terms of enemy density and objectives before level 5+. Game becomes much more interesting and dynamic at the higher levels too

GymWolf

Gold Member
I am not sure when I game I care about esports or super competitive tournaments. So you are taking an extreme edge case and trying to imply haptics feedback do not add to the experience. Maybe in those super competitive games they also tone down graphics for even higher framerates and sounds / music. So what?

You claimed it makes games better implying it does when the controller is effectively not broken. Many people never had significant drift or any drift at all in the controller. Hall effect sticks do not effect the gameplay one bit, they are more resilient.

The gunplay is good, it feels better on controllers with good haptics like SD and DS. So, not horseshit :p.
Many modern controllers have good haptics, maybe they are not as precise as the ds5 but it's not like ds5 has an exclusive on vibration, you still feel the weaker rumble working on suble effects and the stronger one working on explosions and big weapons and shit, i really don't need to feel every bit of drop rain or slight terrain deformation, it's kinda cool but i just forget about it 5 min inside the game (and sometimes i just tone it down because it gets annoying)

And you were saying that the dual sense improve the gameplay, and i explained to you that in gameplay centric games where you need max precision, people are gonna turn off both vibration and special triggers, so at best it helps immersion if you are the type of guy that care about super precise vibration in your hand, me and many others tone down that because it's downright disturbing at times, it's not a panacea that solve any problem, it's still a gimmick.

Last edited:
Top Bottom