• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Helldivers 2 |OT| Another bug infested game

Varteras

Not Helldivers but close enough I say...

GHQbwd_XYAAmqyo

Played with some divers that was in their mid teens that was farming impossible automation destroy missions, asking me to stay. None of them had strategems to even farm it efficiently. They kicked me afterwards thinking I could carry a whole team of scrubs running around with machine guns.... we completed it too btw.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
“Reinforcement budget depleted”.

Yea, no shit, when you give every Helldiver his own big ass spaceship..
You need something to carry all that ego ;)… or someone in the Ministry of Defense has a cousin or spouse that owns a big ass space shipyard… they are Italians.. and you know, you know a guy who knows a guy… and you end up with requirements such as a big spaceship for every HellDivers. Then again you put many pods for each ship, which seems… anyways odd :D.

I wanted to complete the weekly(?) mission with the sniper rifle, so I joined a game on medium difficulty, just to get the kills.

There were 2 dudes in there already in mission and as soon as I landed one of them made clear that "we are not extracting until we got all the samples. It's all about the samples!". I let him know I understood and asked if we should split up, but he said we should stick together and follow his lead.
He was very talkative and actually pretty nice, complementing us and giving us advice (whether we wanted it or not).

But he was taking his sweet as time and when we finally found all the samples he realized we only had 3 minutes left in the mission and a long walk to the extract. With 1 minute left on the extract timer 2 of us got killed and he now was alone, completely surrounded and running around a building with 15 robots on his ass, yelling "how did this happen? It was all for nothing. Everything we did, for nothing!!".

I think he actually rage quit soon after and I laughed my ass off. Moments like this is why I play this game, I don't care that much about progressing my character, I want the drama. :)

Played with some divers that was in their mid teens that was farming impossible automation destroy missions, asking me to stay. None of them had strategems to even farm it efficiently. They kicked me afterwards thinking I could carry a whole team of scrubs running around with machine guns.... we completed it too btw.
I got kicked this morning when I asked to hold off 1min on the extraction so I could grab my samples/railgun.
They attempted extraction (with ONE sample), failed for being too far away (i was kiting without any means of killing) and kicked me :]

I just saw Johnny Concrete Johnny Concrete 's post b4 mine and would like to iterate that these are not the same story... haha

Last edited:

Mobilemofo

Managed a few games with randoms and hour ago. Both cadets and we're excellent. Careful with gun fire, provided support, and backup. Excellent teamwork. Very smooth.

Been playing with a ton of randoms lately and I don't think I've seen a single pre-order armor, which made me come to the realization that the pre-order arnors must be pretty rare considering most sales came after release when word of mouth started to go around.

Kings Field

Love team killing these fucking crybabies who moan about accidental team killing. It’s part of the game. If you can’t see a big red fucking beam coming down from the sky and you don’t even try to get out of the way, that’s on you. Don’t verbally abuse my teammates and myself because you’re jerking it with one hand on the controller.

Solidus_T

Banned
How's the progression in this game? Any goals/endgame to aim for?
It is great every step of the way. Despite it being "GAAS," there really isn't much purpose to buying the super credits, because you get enough of them just completing missions and progressing through war bonds, where a lot of the good stuff is. Currently there's no endgame, but you'll find items in the war bonds that you really want and you can shoot for those.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
How's the progression in this game? Any goals/endgame to aim for?

The first ~50 hours is fun because progression is slow. All you're doing is playing ~2 hours to unlock a stratagem, weapon, skin or ship upgrade. That's satisfying until you unlock what you want. Then when you realize there's no upgrades you want to farm for, the game gets very repetitive. There's essentially no endgame loop design here.

A lot of people are going to put this game away until the next big content update. It feels like fairly mediocre execution on a brilliant concept.

cebri.one

The first ~50 hours is fun because progression is slow. All you're doing is playing ~2 hours to unlock a stratagem, weapon, skin or ship upgrade. That's satisfying until you unlock what you want. Then when you realize there's no upgrades you want to farm for, the game gets very repetitive. There's essentially no endgame loop design here.

A lot of people are going to put this game away until the next big content update. It feels like fairly mediocre execution on a brilliant concept.

neogaf.gif

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Just did my first matches, and this is hell cool. Love how clever they were with the reload mechanic and the strategems. This last one adds a lot of stress into battle, damn :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Tell me a co-op PvE game that doesn't run into this problem? Not every multiplayer is designed around grinding the game on a daily basis. Just like a game like Destiny, HD2 will be incredibly successful around massive content drops. Inbetween content drops, it will still be the go to PvE game to play with friends. There is nothing else really like it on the market

You play 50+ hrs and are constantly bitching about the game. That is pretty funny to me. If you are not enjoying it, put it down and come back after big content updates. You already easily got 40$ out of the game

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Tell me a co-op PvE game that doesn't run into this problem? Not every multiplayer is designed around grinding the game on a daily basis. Just like a game like Destiny, HD2 will be incredibly successful around massive content drops. Inbetween content drops, it will still be the go to PvE game to play with friends. There is nothing else really like it on the market

You play 50+ hrs and are constantly bitching about the game. That is pretty funny to me
You misunderstood.

I was responding to iorek21 iorek21 when he was asking about the endgame. Me answering him honestly and truthfully does not mean I'm "bi**hing about the game". This is weird fanboy thinking. We have to evolve past that.

You misunderstood.

I was responding to iorek21 iorek21 when he was asking about the endgame. Me answering him honestly and truthfully does not mean I'm "bi**hing about the game". This is weird fanboy thinking. We have to evolve past that.
Fair. But your post history is weirdly trying to be as contrarion as possible when it comes to HD2. I'm fine with criticizing the game, it's just weird pretty much all your posts are critical given how much you have played

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Fair. But your post history is weirdly trying to be as contrarion as possible when it comes to HD2. I'm fine with criticizing the game, it's just weird pretty much all your posts are critical given how much you have played
A moderator told me I needed to stop posting Helldivers 2 threads because members felt like I was being too positive about GAAS with them.

Now I'm a Helldivers 2 hater?

People see what they want to see.

Luipadre

The requisition and social menu still not showing text and daily missions are still missing. Are they cooking a bigger patch or something?

I'm bouncing off of this game in a way I did not expect. Is there something to leveling up that I'm missing? I find everything Medium and under pretty boring, but as a solo player I get obliterated in higher difficulties. I'm barely getting a level every 3-5 rounds and I'm barely getting material and medals to unlock stuff.

Ballistic

I'm bouncing off of this game in a way I did not expect. Is there something to leveling up that I'm missing? I find everything Medium and under pretty boring, but as a solo player I get obliterated in higher difficulties. I'm barely getting a level every 3-5 rounds and I'm barely getting material and medals to unlock stuff.
don't play solo unless you enjoy being chum

Anyway, my opinion of this is, before Covid I wouldn't really hang around Discord with my friends playing games, but that changed. This game really fits into that new paradigm of hopping on some games with some close mates, but without having to invest too much beyond "Let's kill some bugs in a really fun gameloop"

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Been playing with a ton of randoms lately and I don't think I've seen a single pre-order armor, which made me come to the realization that the pre-order arnors must be pretty rare considering most sales came after release when word of mouth started to go around.
For what it's worth, there is no light armor among the pre-order armors, right?

It's all I equip.

tommib

Gold Member
GAF, can we organize a session tonight so that I do all missions to unlock the last difficulty, Helldive is is? I can’t seem to do it with randoms? Can’t get passed Impossible. Who’s in? I’m in the Netherlands.

Last edited:

apowhungo

Is there something to leveling up that I'm missing? I find everything Medium and under pretty boring, but as a solo player I get obliterated in higher difficulties.
Unless you're god tier you shouldn't play higher levels solo. 9/10 matches with randoms have been great for me.
You're right though anything under challenging is incredibly stale for me now, just got to suicide and it seems like the sweet spot (with the proper crew) and you can find the rare pink coins so might as well try.

When I realize I'm on a mission with idiots
Surprise No GIF by PlayStation

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
GAF, can we organize a session tonight so that I do all missions to unlock the last difficulty, Helldive is is? I can’t seem to do it with randoms? Can’t get passed Impossible. Who’s in? I’m in the Netherlands.

Time ?
I'm still lvl 12 btw, is that ok ?

Top Bottom