• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Helldivers 2 |OT| Another bug infested game

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Many modern controllers have good haptics, maybe they are not as precise as the ds5 but it's not like ds5 has an exclusive on vibration, you still feel the weaker rumble working on suble effects and the stronger one working on explosions and big weapons and shit, i really don't need to feel every bit of drop rain or slight terrain deformation, it's kinda cool but i just forget about it 5 min inside the game (and sometimes i just tone it down because it gets annoying)
I do, it increases immersion immensely if well implemented. No, not all controllers have the same vibration tech and it makes a difference in how realistic the effect is portrayed and where you feel it on the controller (down to how it is implemented, rotating mass based actuators vs linear resonant actuator, and DS is one of few controllers with the latter. I cannot see how it gets annoying, but then some people may also turn music and other sound effects down, some may disable HDR too, etc…

And you were saying that the dual sense improve the gameplay, and i explained to you that in gameplay centric games where you need max precision, people are gonna turn off both vibration and special triggers, so at best it helps immersion if you are the type of guy that care about super precise vibration in your hand, me and many others tone down that because it's downright disturbing at times, it's not a panacea that solve any problem, it's still a gimmick.
It is not a gimmick, it is a feature that enhances gameplay (especially coupled with the dynamic triggers). That some people, who are in a hyper competitive edge case that disable some stuff in order to try and get an edge on other players, does not make for a feedback less gameplay better gameplay or better gunplay feeling either.

Immersion is helped by many factor coming together. Having more varied, precise, and dynamic feedback as a direct reaction of what to do, coupled with visual and auditory feedback improves the gameplay experience and you can also and should also build games around it. So, no, you did not explain how gameplay is made better by disabling this feature, you just argued there is one case where some people try to get an advantage on other players and put winning over them over anything. Whether it is visuals, audio, or controller feedback, it is a sacrifice meant to obtain something else but it does not make the rest a gimmick. You might want it to generalise as an idea over everything, I do not :).

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
What difficulty are you playing?
I honestly can't tell, but If I were to guess it's medium.
Maps feel a little vacant in terms of enemy density and objectives before level 5+.
I'm level 4.

I've checked what's available and there's like 1-2 people are playing on various planets and you just can't do the main objectives with just two people. I also can't connect to a group of 3 people for some reason - the game just won't connect and gives an error.

I mean, there's missions you can do alone, but others simply require 4 people or else it's pointless - I've nothing against that and as it it rignt now, the game idealy should be played with 4 people, but even then all of the problems are still there. I don't even mind the friendly fire cuz it's cool and more realistic.
Game becomes much more interesting and dynamic at the higher levels too
If only there was the means to have fun beyond just walking and running around huge maps. I've seen stuff you can activate like artillery which you need to arm with ammo and stuff, but there's almost always no one around to help and bugs are swarming the place. I like the co-op shit you can do which reminds me of Army of Two and it's amazing, but there must be more people on the ground, there must be various vehicles or exoskeletons to travel faster and survive longer. I've been through huge firefights and no matter how good we're playing, everyone will eventually die and you're losing stuff constantly which you've gathered along the way like resources and stuff, which should be permanent pickups.

I haven't played the original game so Idk if it was like that before, but Heldivers II is not an isometric top down shooter anymore, it's a more realistic 3rd person game and there must be more options on the battlefield for you to survive longer. You basically can't do shit to protect yourself from melee, there's no shields and stuff which can give you cover from at least smaller bugs to block their attacks. I mean, yeah, you've all these various orbital strikes, turrets you can deploy but you're losing time activating all this shit with input commands. You also can't even hold the ground in various structures cuz bugs are swarming the place and destroying it. What I'd like to see here is what the last Starship Troopers game did, but there's no huge structures on the map at all, it's all just a few small buildings with pos fences and nothing else.

I guess what I'm saying here is that you just can't have a level of fun you get like in various co-op and PVE activities you can see in Destiny 2 for example and you can survive way longer in that game and not even die at all during long firefights with lots of enemies. Now that was fun. I also don't understand what's so funny about what I've said. It's not a super hard game to understand and I know how it works, I just don't thinks it's as fun and as rewarding as it should be, not to mention the stuff it's missing and which could've made the game a lot better. It's not a top down isometric shooter anymore.

I think that maybe this game just isn’t for you.
I think it is and I love the concept, but it's missing a lot of stuff to make it truly fun and not frustrating af at times. We'll see what they'll do with it in a few months.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
I do, it increases immersion immensely if well implemented. No, not all controllers have the same vibration tech and it makes a difference in how realistic the effect is portrayed and where you feel it on the controller (down to how it is implemented, rotating mass based actuators vs linear resonant actuator, and DS is one of few controllers with the latter. I cannot see how it gets annoying, but then some people may also turn music and other sound effects down, some may disable HDR too, etc…

It is not a gimmick, it is a feature that enhances gameplay (especially coupled with the dynamic triggers). That some people, who are in a hyper competitive edge case that disable some stuff in order to try and get an edge on other players, does not make for a feedback less gameplay better gameplay or better gunplay feeling either.

Immersion is helped by many factor coming together. Having more varied, precise, and dynamic feedback as a direct reaction of what to do, coupled with visual and auditory feedback improves the gameplay experience and you can also and should also build games around it.
Well agree to disagree in some things that i already explained but i don't care enough about the ds5 to prolong the discussion more than we already did, i'm about to jump inside the game since i don't have to work today, join my game so we can discuss how much i like having a dildo in my hands all you want :messenger_blowing_kiss:

cebri.one

I can't believe I didn't realize that Arrowhead Studios made Magicka. I friggin' loved Magicka and would beg my friends to play it with me when it came out.

What time is it for you? I'd be down to play here in a few minutes after my daughter goes to bed.

Haha no worries. I actually had a blast last night with some randoms from a discord server. I’m at GMT+1 (Central Europe)

I honestly can't tell, but If I were to guess it's medium.

I'm level 4.

I've checked what's available and there's like 1-2 people are playing on various planets and you just can't do the main objectives with just two people. I also can't connect to a group of 3 people for some reason - the game just won't connect and gives an error.

I mean, there's missions you can do alone, but others simply require 4 people or else it's pointless - I've nothing against that and as it it rignt now, the game idealy should be played with 4 people, but even then all of the problems are still there. I don't even mind the friendly fire cuz it's cool and more realistic.

If only there was the means to have fun beyond just walking and running around huge maps. I've seen stuff you can activate like artillery which you need to arm with ammo and stuff, but there's almost always no one around to help and bugs are swarming the place. I like the co-op shit you can do which reminds me of Army of Two and it's amazing, but there must be more people on the ground, there must be various vehicles or exoskeletons to travel faster and survive longer. I've been through huge firefights and no matter how good we're playing, everyone will eventually die and you're losing stuff constantly which you've gathered along the way like resources and stuff, which should be permanent pickups.

I haven't played the original game so Idk if it was like that before, but Heldivers II is not an isometric top down shooter anymore, it's a more realistic 3rd person game and there must be more options on the battlefield for you to survive longer. You basically can't do shit to protect yourself from melee, there's no shields and stuff which can give you cover from at least smaller bugs to block their attacks. I mean, yeah, you've all these various orbital strikes, turrets you can deploy but you're losing time activating all this shit with input commands. You also can't even hold the ground in various structures cuz bugs are swarming the place and destroying it. What I'd like to see here is what the last Starship Troopers game did, but there's no huge structures on the map at all, it's all just a few small buildings with pos fences and nothing else.

I guess what I'm saying here is that you just can't have a level of fun you get like in various co-op and PVE activities you can see in Destiny 2 for example and you can survive way longer in that game and not even die at all during long firefights with lots of enemies. Now that was fun. I also don't understand what's so funny about what I've said. It's not a super hard game to understand and I know how it works, I just don't thinks it's as fun and as rewarding as it should be, not to mention the stuff it's missing and which could've made the game a lot better. It's not a top down isometric shooter anymore.

I think it is and I love the concept, but it's missing a lot of stuff to make it truly fun and not frustrating af at times. We'll see what they'll do with it in a few months.
Most of your complaints are solved by unlocking things and playing higher levels of difficulty. Vehicles and Mechs are coming very soon, probably in two weeks with the next war bond

And dying repeatedly(and easily) is part of the charm(for most players). It's not a hero shooter like Destiny. HD2 is such a breath of fresh air comparably

Mobilemofo

Some of the deaths are proper funny. Watch your body get blown apart and land in a mangled lump somewhere north of where you started. Then labelled a massive failure by the game as the final insult to your death 🤣

MikeM

Gold Member
The gunplay is incredible even without using the dildo sense, not because of it :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

At best It's a cool gimmick that doesn't turn bad gunplay in good gunplay and viceversa, having a vibration always come third after visual and audio feedback.

Also i hate symmetric sticks so thank god i can use any other controller on pc with far better specs like hall effect sticks and triggers and back buttons and good battery life, i take that over gimmicks.
Me using a Dualsense Edge on PC

Sad Married At First Sight GIF by Lifetime

In all fairness, my Series controller has an issue where I can’t walk forward when dialling in a strategem. No idea why.

Holammer

Finally got around to buy the game and play it for a bit, dipped my toes. Playing with a Dual Sense and trying to come to terms with the controls (couldn't bring up the map up in the confusion), Kb+m controls might be less cluttered, but I enjoy the rumble.

Killjoy-NL

In all fairness, my Series controller has an issue where I can’t walk forward when dialling in a strategem. No idea why.
Normal people have that issue, so it's nothing out of the ordinary.

Unless you're one of those weirdos that uses his right hand to dial in strategems.

GymWolf

Gold Member

It's not a bug, you can run in any direction but not forward when you input a stratagem, just turn the camera 180 and start running toward yourself.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Normal people have that issue, so it's nothing out of the ordinary.

Unless you're one of those weirdos that uses his right hand to dial in strategems.
Weirdo? I prefer the word “talented.”

I move my right finger over to hold the left stick while my left thimb does the strats.
I keep my left thumb on the left stick and my right thumb on the right stick ... and still call in stratagems on the d-pad.

Creeping Parks And Recreation GIF

It's called the D-pad for a reason, you know.

Luipadre

wtf new player peak inc tomorrow? Kinda crazy tbh. Game is almost a months old and we yet to get new content, cool mechs and stuff. Im taking a break because ff is out, but still keeping my eyes on the impressive performance of this game

wtf new player peak inc tomorrow? Kinda crazy tbh. Game is almost a months old and we yet to get new content, cool mechs and stuff. Im taking a break because ff is out, but still keeping my eyes on the impressive performance of this game
This game got legs! It will surely blowout whatever the CCU record is when the new war bond drops in 10 days. Arrowhead is sitting on mechs, vehicles, and a completely new enemy faction. Hilarious that they didn't even mention these core additions to reviewers. Where the one common complaint was that content/road map was thin

Last edited:

bitbydeath

How’s the servers these days? I’ve been waiting to join in (matchmake with randoms) but was waiting for the issues to resolve.

The Fuzz damn you!

Gold Member
I can't believe it, I just finished my first mission on Helldive. After having so many problems at the beginning on medium, I didn't even want to try the difficult missions.
Right there with you - just got through my first helldive. I was stuck on medium / challenging for ages, finding them so overwhelming that I was hesitant to go up in difficulty. Then, once I hit hard, the game started making sense, the further up I want the more sense the game seemed to make. The low-level chumps dropped away (mostly) and the game became much more manageable than I expected. More fun, too, I’ll occasionally jump back into easy/medim games just to help out, and… Jesus, people are fucking morons.

Level 4 playing on medium complaining to die a lot ....

Wut? You have barely played the tutorial, haven't unlocked 95% of the tools and you already complain that you die constantly on "walk in the park" difficulty....

Uuuuhm this game might not be for you.
I thought this game was all about dieing 🤣

Top Bottom