• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hell's Kitchen Season Nine |OT| A contestant infuriates Chef Ramsay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
PsychoRaven said:
I'd love to think it is but as I said before Elise can cook. It's just her attitude that is the problem. I get the impression more that it could be Carrie or Tommy.

I think that it focused too much on Carrie for it to be her. Everything was pointing to her since Elise said that she was going to make sure that she was eliminated and then they showed Ramsay kicking her out the kitchen. It would be too obvious to eliminate her after that.

ElRenoRaven

SolidSnakex said:
I think that it focused too much on Carrie for it to be her. Everything was pointing to her since Elise said that she was going to make sure that she was eliminated and then they showed Ramsay kicking her out the kitchen. It would be too obvious to eliminate her after that.

They have done that before though. Granted not that often.

CrankyJay

Banned
WTF was was Will thinking with that pasta for Wolfgang? You finish off pasta in a pan with sauce. Instead he served a clumped together piece of shit. Very surprising for Will.

JGS

Banned
dallow_bg said:
I want a Master Chef vs Hells Kitchen.
It was odd that Master Chef picked up the restaurant dynamic far better than HK people do every week.

I would go with Master Chef. They seem classier. HK contestants always seem like hooligans in comparison to other cooking competitions. I buess the winners of both shows would be a bit more classy.

CrankyJay

Banned
JGS said:
It was odd that Master Chef picked up the restaurant dynamic far better than HK people do every week.

I would go with Master Chef. They seem classier. HK contestants always seem like hooligans in comparison to other cooking competitions. I buess the winners of both shows would be a bit more classy.

Most TV contestant chefs I have seen seem to be pretty arrogant. Have you ever seen Chopped? They trash talk and throw each other under the bus all the time.

Pkaz01

CrankyJay said:
Most TV contestant chefs I have seen seem to be pretty arrogant. Have you ever seen Chopped? They trash talk and throw each other under the bus all the time.
Will was actually on chopped before so that doesn't surprise me.

I do think it will be Jaime vs Will in the finale though.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
You guys should watch the Australian Masterchef. It's FAAAAR superior to the American version and isn't being sold based on drama.

zugzug

so I never realised that Elise has such big breasts. hello nurse! even if i think your a villian and do not like you.

JGS

Banned
CrankyJay said:
Arrogance isn't necessarily bad. It often goes with talent.

However, the HK brand of arrogance comes off as Jerry Springerish. Maybe it's all the yelling in the kitchen which then moves to the living qtrs.

It would also be nice if they mixed up the entrees a bit. It gets kind of dull seeing how many times they can mess up Beef Wellington.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
This is the season of "throwing people under the bus" I think they say it in every episode.

JGS

Banned
sprsk said:
This is the season of "throwing people under the bus" I think they say it in every episode.
I've only seen the past couple of episodes but they do seem to be doing that with Elise if they thought she had one of the worst performances.

CrankyJay

Banned
JGS said:
Arrogance isn't necessarily bad. It often goes with talent.

However, the HK brand of arrogance comes off as Jerry Springerish. Maybe it's all the yelling in the kitchen which then moves to the living qtrs.

It would also be nice if they mixed up the entrees a bit. It gets kind of dull seeing how many times they can mess up Beef Wellington.

Sure, but why move them on to something else if they can't perfect what's there to begin with? And they do special items from time to time.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
JGS said:

I think the Master Chef people did a better job for two reasons: 1 - editing and 2 - Chef Ramsay was not making them cry every 9 seconds by screaming in their faces. No contestant on either show is someone I would really call a good chef, e.g., the chefs that do Top Chef.

Masterchef is a MUCH different experience than HK. The chefs at MC would absolutely die if they were thrown into the fire of HK. Can you imagine what would happen to Ben? Poor guy wouldn't last 5 minutes.

Tamanon

Banned
JGS said:

Well, also, remember that the Master Chef folks didn't have as rigorous a taste test before sending out food. A lot of those customers didn't seem happy with their food.

I would like to see this show if they actually cast people with cooking talent instead of their personalities. Its always populated with people with incredibly short fuses or bad personalities. And the Diner owner/cook is always the 1st person to be kicked off. I understand it makes for "good television" but I don't find it entertaining.

Just like what they do with big brother. 95% of the people on big brother couldn't come up with a plan to escape a wet paper bag let alone "game" everyone.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Does anybody else think the first guy to go home this year (with the health issues) was an actor?

I think there are genuinely people that have real potential on the show, but there's no doubt that they take in certain people for the drama aspect. But very few of the past winners didn't deserve to win, one could argue that they all did (in b4 Petroza or however you spell it got screwed).

But people need to realize is that HK is BUILT for drama. You could have them all be talented chefs and you'd be kidding yourself if you didn't think that there would be just as much drama. It's the way the show is set up, it's to BREED competition and drama. Separate teams, boys vs girls, winning team = night on the town, losing team = slaves, gordon crushing everyone during service, having to nominate for who is going home, and so on and so forth.

The show does sooooooo many things that start little fires, and knowing human beings the explosion isn't far away.

That's my point, they shouldn't have to manufacture drama by picking people like they do. It would come about naturally. If they just picked people with good cooking abilities the show would be more entertaining. Instead of having half the people not know how to cook stuff that has been on the menu for 9 shows already.

It's true that it would still be there, but take the formula for drama and throw in actual dramatic people and that takes it to the next level.

Xyrmellon

This seems like the first time Elise has killed it during a service, the other times she's just bitched at everybody or pulled the Jonathan tactic of looking busy but not doing much. Now that the numbers are thinning and she has to peform, it will be interesting to see how she does. She'll never win though, you can't manage people and be a leader with that attitude.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
yeah, this isn't Top Chef. Most of us watch it for the drama and Ramsey's screaming. The last two remaining chefs usually have some talent. Most of these guys are chefs at no-name restaurants. So you can't expect them to be high caliber to even schooled. But yeah personality rules over talent. We all remember Raj and Sabrina.

More Elise in her underwear.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Xyrmellon said:
This seems like the first time Elise has killed it during a service, the other times she's just bitched at everybody or pulled the Jonathan tactic of looking busy but not doing much. Now that the numbers are thinning and she has to peform, it will be interesting to see how she does. She'll never win though, you can't manage people and be a leader with that attitude.

Honestly, she seems like the only person there with any leadership ability whatsoever. Just because other people are "nicer" doesn't mean they are good leaders. I can totally picture Elise running a kitchen. For most of these others? Not so much.

Zoe

commish said:
Honestly, she seems like the only person there with any leadership ability whatsoever. Just because other people are "nicer" doesn't mean they are good leaders. I can totally picture Elise running a kitchen. For most of these others? Not so much.

Just because she's the only one who's started barking orders doesn't mean she's the only one with leadership abilities. Diffusion of responsibility and all that.

If she got to run her own restaurant the turnover of employees would be high. When the business eventually fails, she would blame everyone but herself.

UberTag

RukusProvider said:
Whatever happened to Raj? Why doesn't he have a reality show!
There's only been one Raj in reality TV that deserves his own reality show and it's NOT the Raj from Hell's Kitchen (Raj Brandston).

The Raj from the 2nd season of The Apprentice (Raj Bhakta) is far more worthy.

Measley

I'm glad Jonathan get kicked off. Dude was a crybaby.

Carrie and Tommy are next on the chopping block.

Personally I think this is going to come down to Elise vs Will. Those two are by far the best chefs this season.

And yes, Elise does have fantastic boobs. Too bad her attitude is awful.

benjipwns

Banned
Heh, it's airing again in two minutes. And they're also showing it again next week. Wonder if that's just random or on purpose. Most likely just random.

Just finished watching a block of episodes on Hulu.

Anybody else notice how they barely talk about the grand prize this year? I think I've only heard BLT Steak mentioned once beyond the first episode. Whereas in previous seasons, you'd hear about the "head chef" position and the prized restaurant at the beginning of every episode. Maybe they're trying to de-emphasize the grand prize since it's become widely known the HK winners rarely become the Executive chefs at these places. Or perhaps BLT Steak doesn't want the bad publicity of having an insane HK cook supposedly running their restaurant. :lol

Also I noticed the episode previews are way more inaccurate than usual. I realize that's part of HK's charm is the overblown previews but it's getting out of hand. It's making the actual eps very underwhelming.

This season is better than last season, where everyone was completely unlikable. But I'm still not really rooting for anyone this season. Also this season Gordon kept more weaker cooks around longer purely for drama purposes than usual.

Mudkips

Banned
The editing gets sloppier with every season.
The "surprise" is always revealed in the preview, they don't even try to make it look like the "5...4...3...2...1 AND SERVE" countdown for every challenge is actually happening at the time they put food up, and the dramatic pauses between "Our first nomination is" are "The person leaving Hell's Kitchen is" are terribly done.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
I have been catching up via Hulu, this and all the other seasons.

So, they have one attitude laden black lady with big mouth every year who will ultimately never win the final prize because "keeping it real" trips her up?

CrankyJay said:
I love that cute blond sous chef that told off Elise. "I'm up here....you're down here."
IbopO.jpg

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
DeaconKnowledge said:
As well as the Asian girl who completely shuts down when yelled at.

Oh yeah. Whitney and Tek. Ji soldiered her way through a busted ankle though.

plc268

Divvy said:
You guys should watch the Australian Masterchef. It's FAAAAR superior to the American version and isn't being sold based on drama.

86 episodes?! No thanks, there's no way I'd watch that.

J-Rod

You would think the people invited to come on this show would practice the hell out of cooking rissotto, scallops, beef wellington, and sea bass.

These people just flat out don't understand cooking. After 30 undercooked scallops with no crust, it never occurs to her to turn up the heat or let the pan heat up some more?

Also, the editing seems really bad. More noticeable miss-timed zoomed in fake facial reactions than any other reality shows I've watched.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom