• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HENKaku -- Vita Homebrew and more comes to all 3.60 Vitas

After trying hundreds of times without success, I turned off my vita. Then removed memory card, followed buy putting it right back in. I turned on the vita, went right to the webpage and it worked right away.

Definitely not turning it off for a while.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Seems entirely hit or miss whether it works. Not convinced any of the things people have done worked so much as they got lucky on their next try. Removing the game didn't work. Restarting didn't work. Removing and replacing the memory card didn't work.

But randomly after several more attempts it worked. Guessing it's just server load since this was just announced, hopefully with time it will be more reliable just due to less load on the server.

I know they're not optimized, but nothing beats the hype of HOLY SHIT I CAN PLAY SUPER MARIO ALL-STARS ON MY VITA

plus the Vita's d-pad is too good to keep to itself, I can't wait for more stuff to come out homebrew-wise~

tomei

Seems entirely hit or miss whether it works. Not convinced any of the things people have done worked so much as they got lucky on their next try. Removing the game didn't work. Restarting didn't work. Removing and replacing the memory card didn't work.

But randomly after several more attempts it worked. Guessing it's just server load since this was just announced, hopefully with time it will be more reliable just due to less load on the server.

Pick "Disable Java script" when the pop-up appears, that worked for me.

Chuy

Can't get the whitelist to stick. If I turn the power off to the pstv it get reactivated. Suppose I might be doing something wrong?

Psxphile

Got it to work after a few tries, had to restart the Vita at least once.
File transfer worked well using Filezilla (had an old version, so I updated it). Drag and drop.

Tried the Mega Drive emu. Speed is excellent (@444mhz), sound needs work. Looks good and crisp @ 2x native res. Doesn't seem to be any way to enable 6-button controller configuration (that I could see).

Followed up with the SNES emu, but couldn't find the roms I transferred over. They were all zipped, so maybe the emu can't see them. I'll unzip 'em and try again later.

Eylos

Banned
Got it to work after a few tries, had to restart the Vita at least once.
File transfer worked well using Filezilla (had an old version, so I updated it). Drag and drop.

Tried the Mega Drive emu. Speed is excellent (@444mhz), sound needs work. Looks good and crisp @ 2x native res. Doesn't seem to be any way to enable 6-button controller configuration (that I could see).

Followed up with the SNES emu, but couldn't find the roms I transferred over. They were all zipped, so maybe the emu can't see them. I'll unzip 'em and try again later.

Yes,the snes emu only see .smc etc

Eylos

Banned
Can't get the whitelist to stick. If I turn the power off to the pstv it get reactivated. Suppose I might be doing something wrong?

This hack every time you turn off, you have to access the instalation link again

Btw the gba emu is very slow for now

...And there goes all the remaining English localizations of games...

The PirateStationPortable might have survived for a solid 6 years in the west in spite of a jailbreak, but that was because it sold 80 million. And even then, piracy was still a large enough percentage of the install base that it killed the Phantasy Star and Valkyria IPs in the west. The Vita does not have that advantage.

Gaspard

...And there goes all the remaining English localizations of games...

The PirateStationPortable might have survived for a solid 6 years in the west in spite of a jailbreak, but that was because it sold 80 million. The Vita does not have that advantage.

It sold that much because it was so exploitable imo.

It sold that much because it was so exploitable imo.

That's not a good thing in any stretch of the imagination.

RIP Phantasy Star.

comparison_chart.jpg

thuway

Has there been any word on developers going back work on their emulators -?

I'm curious if developers will start putting serious effort into getting their emulators up to snuff. The Vita pond of gamers is smaller than the PSP but there is a lot of room for some cool stuff.

One thing I'm excited to see is emulation shaders / enhancements. The PSP was awesome as an emulation machine but it couldn't run most SNES stuff at 100% - Vita will easily be able to do it.

Has there been any word on developers going back work on their emulators -?

I'm curious if developers will start putting serious effort into getting their emulators up to snuff. The Vita pond of gamers is smaller than the PSP but there is a lot of room for some cool stuff.

One thing I'm excited to see is emulation shaders / enhancements. The PSP was awesome as an emulation machine but it couldn't run most SNES stuff at 100% - Vita will easily be able to do it.

Retroarch just started releasing new Vita builds for HENkaku.

Chesskid1

Banned
RetroArch isn't available for HENKaku yet, it needs to be recompiled to into .vpk which hasn't happened yet.

Also, i found this comment from the retroarch devs re:vita

PlayStation Vita/PlayStation TV version (NEW)

There is also a RetroArch version available now for PlayStation Vita and PlayStation TV. To use this, you need to use the (still quite impractical for daily usage) Rejuvenate jailbreak. No better jailbreaks are available as of this time, sorry. We will continue fleshing out this port for when a more mainstream jailbreak comes around.

the more mainstream jailbreak is here :)

Hikami

Got mGBA working

Framerate seems fine (for this game at least) and haven't had any crashes yet. The sound is the only bad part so far. It's pretty choppy.
Still exciting nonetheless. Never expected to be able to use my Vita like this.

Killah

Had the same problem. what i did was close the browser on the error screen. make sure you don't have anything in notifications and turn off your check for software updates and turn off all the other auto-start apps (near,messages,etc). in power save settings, make sure low power mode is not checked.turn off your system and turn it back on again.just open the browser and it should load the go.henkaku.xyz site. click ok and it should work.

Not sure how but this worked for me. Crashed twice then on the third time it installed. Thanks.

autoduelist

As much as I'd love to have SNES on my vita... I just don't want to freeze my Vita in time, I have way, way too many games that I'll want to dl from PSN and buy in the future.

If I had the cash to just buy a dedicated vita, then maybe.

Only if you completely turn off your Vita (like 5 seconds holding the power button, then power off). Or if you're out of juice.

Running out of juice doesn't turn the vita off, it puts it in suspend which actually lasts awhile -- like, if you're playing a game and run out of juice, plug it in for 5 minutes and you can resume play.

I've owned my vita for years and have only turned it off a couple of times.

Chesskid1

Banned
aHsKeYV.png

libretro (devs of retroarch) are literally working on the henkaku port right now

also, 10k+ users installed henkaku in 12 hours

1pU9VUS.png

Genesis and GBA games have sound and slowdown issues, but SNES games seem to run well but with the sound sped up. Anyone know how to slow the music down?

Everything looks awesome on the Vita screen though.

With retroarch we will see which console emulators?

2048 (zx spectrum)
catsfc (snes)
dosbox (dos)
fb_alpha for cps1/cps2/neogeo
fceumm (nes)
gambatte (gb/gbc)
genesis plus gx (genesis/mega drive)
handy (lynx)
mednafen (ps1)
nxengine (for cave story)
quicknes (nes)
snes9x_next (snes)

those are all the cores currently ported to vita. missing gba and n64 among a few others afaik

Is there any hope of this birthing a pathway to a "permanent" CFW type solution that you don't have to log into every time, or is that something else entirely?

Cloud7

So I have 3.20 firmware and I wasn't able to get the email hacks to work.

Is it safe to upgrade to 3.60 and try this or should I stay down at 3.20?

soccergod

Banned
So there's no way to really permanently install it? Also...what is a vpk? Im not familiar with the extension at all? The instructions arent too clear, is the VPK the emulator and you need roms to go along with it?

Think I'm gonna stick to my 3.52 tn-v for now til this gets more/better emulators and hombrew running

Unless you're trying to run PSP ISOs, all the PSP homebrew can be loaded via enabling VHBL on 3.60

Would it be better to use a vita slim for this? Or does the OG OLED still win out?

slightly better battery life vs slightly better screen. comes down to personal preference

RexNovis

Banned
slightly better battery life vs slightly better screen. comes down to personal preference

I was assuming maybe the hardware in the slim was a bit a more powerful and perhaps clocked down a bit. I know that was the case with many other slim revisions. If that's the case it might be able to bring a bit more oomph to the table for emulation.

Top Bottom