• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HENKaku -- Vita Homebrew and more comes to all 3.60 Vitas

Anyone figure out a way to FTP into Vita from and Android phone? Any way to do it directly?

ES File Explorer supports FTP, I think.

I wonder if it would be possible to redirect one of the partitions to a network location... It would be pretty nifty if I could set up a Vita TV to use a partition on my computer instead of the memory card.

Actually, the TV has a USB port, doesn't it? External storage would probably be the first step towards that sort of thing.

HotHamBoy

I think people are way too paranoid about the potential for banning. It's gonna be okay. Sony doesn't have a history of that, they just patch the exploits and move on.

Maedhros

Is it true that the Vita's processor clock is just 444Mhz?? I thought it was a lot stronger than the new 3DS one...

ZoronMaro

I think people are way too paranoid about the potential for banning. It's gonna be okay. Sony doesn't have a history of that, they just patch the exploits and move on.

Didn't they ban a ton of hacked PS3s way back when? I don't remember if they banned accounts or systems though. Also even then it was only people with hacked trophy lists and people caught cheating online IIRC. So it's probably fine, but it doesn't hurt to be cautious.

Is it true that the Vita's processor clock is just 444Mhz?? I thought it was a lot stronger than the new 3DS one...
Yep!

3DS runs a pretty old ARM11 so there are architectural differences that could make up the difference in clock speed but even then it's probably close.

Chesskid1

Banned
endrift mGBA dev said:
While the Cortex-A9 architecture can go up to 2 GHz, the specific implementation of the Cortex-A9 in the PS Vita does not; it only goes up to 444MHz. ARMv7 is the instruction set; I suppose that was unclear. I'm not clear if this is a limitation imposed by the hardware or the kernel, but from usermode, attempts to clock it higher fail. Wikipedia, as it is wont to be, is incorrect in this case, and the citation is from preview hype, not from an actual source.

The CPU on the N3DS is slightly more powerful than the Vita's, at 804MHz but with an older architecture (ARM11 MPCore), leading to mGBA on N3DS edging out the Vita, since it's CPU-bound. While the cores on the Vita are more generally accessible (N3DS gives you 2 core and time slices on the others, whereas the Vita outright gives you three), mGBA is not properly multithreaded, so the core count is mostly irrelevant. The O3DS runs at 268MHz, so it's at a clear disadvantage in all cases. Trust me, I was surprised when I found mGBA Vita running slower than mGBA 3DS before clocking the Vita to 444MHz (instead of 333MHz) was discovered.

endrift (mGBA) talking about 3ds and vita cpus
https://www.reddit.com/r/vitahacks/comments/4vmkft/lets_talk_about_mgba/d602hdn

you don't hear devs talking a bout this stuff too much so check out the full thread if you haven't already

Nice. How does the double screen thing work? You press a button to switch between both or something?

it's just a test version, runs in a little corner heh

Chesskid1

Banned
looks like RetroArch is out, download the latest nightly

http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/playstation/vita/

here is a list of the .vpk's

4Jp8dUC.png

Gazunta

I tried out the SNES emulator on the PSTV and it works pretty well. It's not 100% of course, but the fact it's working at all is a miracle in itself.

One thing that bugs me though - there's like a half second delay between pressing something on a controller (a Dual Shock 3 if that makes a difference) and the emulator noticing it - BUT it goes away if I wire the controller up directly.

Sure, I can have one controller permanently connected, but it makes two player games a problem. Anyone else notice this?

Joey Ravn

Banned
Has anyone tried Bubble Studio? It's a website that allows you to modify your app.db (once you have gotten it through HENkaku) and add custom bubbles to it.

There's a tutorial on Wololo on how to use it.

I remember this being a pain in the ass to do with the e-mail trick a few months ago. I'm glad to be able to change again those stupid titles ("TEARAWAY [TM]") and ugly as sin bubble icon (especially PSP and PSX games).

Edit: Also, endrift released an experimental version of mGBA that is supposedly faster than the current stable one. He's done testing it and the changes are being merged into the stable branch.

Has anyone tried Bubble Studio? It's a website that allows you to modify your app.db (once you have gotten it through HENkaku) and add custom bubbles to it.

There's a tutorial on Wololo on how to use it.

I remember this being a pain in the ass to do with the e-mail trick a few months ago. I'm glad to be able to change again those stupid titles ("TEARAWAY [TM]") and ugly as sin bubble icon (especially PSP and PSX games).

Edit: Also, endrift released an experimental version of mGBA that is supposedly faster than the current stable one. He's done testing it and the changes are being merged into the stable branch.

mGBA runs much faster, sound quality is still fucked.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I just tried Bubble Studio and it's dead simple. I customized my bubble icons in a couple of minutes. Nowhere near as complicated as the old e-mail and database rebuilding trick!

The only thing that bothers me (and this is probably more on my part than on Bubble Studio's) is that you need to use QCMA to transfer the save folder with all your custom icons. Does anyone know where saves are located in the Vita file structure, so I can transfer the folder via FTP?

Mask

Hmm, doesn't seem like you can have more than one of those Retroarch cores installed at once :/

I thought I was installing them all, but the single bubble just changes it's name? That's kinda annoying, I was hoping it'd be like every other platform, with just a single file with multiple cores..

I heard the limit to retroarch cores is three, which seems supported by how when I was installing them, one of the cores overwrote the previous Genesis core I had installed.

I'll be testing these to see how good they are compared to the previous emulators on offer.

Mask

I heard the limit to retroarch cores is three, which seems supported by how when I was installing them, one of the cores overwrote the previous Genesis core I had installed.

I'll be testing these to see how good they are compared to the previous emulators on offer.

I'm fairly sure I installed a genesis, SNES and then the PC Engine core in that order, and it only opens PC Engine games as far as I can tell. Seems to crash if I open zipped genesis games, and won't even see my SNES games :/

I'm fairly sure I installed a genesis, SNES and then the PC Engine core in that order, and it only opens PC Engine games as far as I can tell. Seems to crash if I open zipped genesis games, and won't even see my SNES games :/

Ah, that's odd. I installed the genesis and SNES cores in that order. the genesis core is working fine for me, playing Sonic 3 almost perfectly. one of the SNES cores I only tested SM All-Stars on, and apparently there's a glitch that doesn't allow you to move after starting a game. The other core wouldn't boot up games at all but all of them could at least see the files.

Maybe try reinstalling them?

Yep!

3DS runs a pretty old ARM11 so there are architectural differences that could make up the difference in clock speed but even then it's probably close.

The gist I'm getting as well.

Are we likely to see emulators running any faster than on a n3DS?

Was thinking about picking up a Vita for emulators (thinking the Vita would be faster in the long run) but it doesn't sound like it will be much faster than my n3DS. Plus I don't have to invest a gazillion dollars on a Vita memory card on the n3DS.

jrcbandit

Didn't they ban a ton of hacked PS3s way back when? I don't remember if they banned accounts or systems though. Also even then it was only people with hacked trophy lists and people caught cheating online IIRC. So it's probably fine, but it doesn't hurt to be cautious.

I never cheated or even played online with games on my PS3 and never edited the trophy list. My PS3 was physically banned and so was my PSN account, I lost my PS Plus access and all my digital Vita games since I had to make a new PSN account for my Vita ;p. All I did was hack my PS3 firmware and rip all my games to a 2 TB hard drive so I could play them without any discs. I still got banned, although I was using custom firmware just fine for about 9 months downloading PS+ games, purchasing digital games off PSN, etc without issue before it happened. The initial wave of bans was people pirating online games like Call of Duty as well as cheating online. Later the bans became more widespread to people using custom firmware in general if anything was detected ripped to your PS3.

I did use this current hack on my Vita. Is not logging into your PSN account good enough or do I need to do more to be safe? I would advise to never log into your PSN account again if you are going to keep using this, especially if piracy ever gets enabled. Well, I only own 2 cartridge based games so it's not like I'm going to rip my games to my Vita like I did for the PS3 which got me in trouble. Only using it for emulation purposes.

Mask

Ah, that's odd. I installed the genesis and SNES cores in that order. the genesis core is working fine for me, playing Sonic 3 almost perfectly. one of the SNES cores I only tested SM All-Stars on, and apparently there's a glitch that doesn't allow you to move after starting a game. The other core wouldn't boot up games at all but all of them could at least see the files.

Maybe try reinstalling them?

That seems to have fixed it! Thanks! Seems like I need to have my genesis games unzipped as well, but SNES is working fine it seems

Not quite sure how to go back to the retroarch menu once I start a game though?

c0de

You won't be seeing one on the Vita. Not without using hacks and frameskips.

What? Why? I played SNES games on a computer 16 years ago. With 60 fps. There is plenty enough power when you sacrifice some accuracy that is only needed for a small amount of games.

PHOTOSHOP

just something about SNES emulators..
PSP had the same problems. Some games had terrible frame rates and bad sounds

GBA emulator ran smooth like butter on PSP though

VNZ

What? Why? I played SNES games on a computer 16 years ago. With 60 fps. There is plenty enough power when you sacrifice some accuracy that is only needed for a small amount of games.
No one is willing to write an inaccurate emulator in pure assembly language today.

Atomski

Kinda sad that playing my GBA games on my vita is probably the most fun id had with the console so far.. looks amazing on this screen.

test_account

XP-39C²
From that post, it sounds like HENKaku has given Mr. Gas access to be able to decrypt saves, which will allow them to (perhaps strenuously) look for exploits. Not sure how any access that could provide would be better than what HENKaku does, though... but I guess there is.
That savegame was actually decrypted over a year ago: http://wololo.net/2015/04/30/first-vita-savedata-decryption-mr-gas | But now he said that hes able to encrypt it again thanks to HENkaku. It might be that its possible to decrypt every savegame now though.

I'm not sure if this allows for any more exploits to be found, but at least it could provide for a offline payload (if someone find an exploit in a savegame), so you dont have to visit that website everytime you want to use the exploit.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Guys give it time!
Few days ago vita was still safe and in a pair of days we already have lots of emulators, doom, quake and other things! Give developers time to optimize.

I never cheated or even played online with games on my PS3 and never edited the trophy list. My PS3 was physically banned and so was my PSN account, I lost my PS Plus access and all my digital Vita games since I had to make a new PSN account for my Vita ;p. All I did was hack my PS3 firmware and rip all my games to a 2 TB hard drive so I could play them without any discs. I still got banned, although I was using custom firmware just fine for about 9 months downloading PS+ games, purchasing digital games off PSN, etc without issue before it happened. The initial wave of bans was people pirating online games like Call of Duty as well as cheating online. Later the bans became more widespread to people using custom firmware in general if anything was detected ripped to your PS3.

I did use this current hack on my Vita. Is not logging into your PSN account good enough or do I need to do more to be safe? I would advise to never log into your PSN account again if you are going to keep using this, especially if piracy ever gets enabled. Well, I only own 2 cartridge based games so it's not like I'm going to rip my games to my Vita like I did for the PS3 which got me in trouble. Only using it for emulation purposes.

Wow okay so you've just convinced me to delete this, playing Super Metroid at 10fps isn't enough for me to risk losing my access to PS4/Vita titles!

Joey Ravn

Banned
Wow okay so you've just convinced me to delete this, playing Super Metroid at 10fps isn't enough for me to risk losing my access to PS4/Vita titles!

Counterpoint: this, so far, leaves the exact same traces as every ePSP exploit has been leaving since 2012. And nobody has ever been banned for that. That is an example that directly relates to this particular console, and not something that only tangentially touches this case. If you want another of that kind of examples, Nintendo hasn't banned anyone for using CFWs on the 3DS.

If you want to be cautious and refrain from using this for the time being, I think it's a sensible approach. But avoid resorting to baseless fearmongering, because, so far, nobody can say anything is set in stone either way. jrcbandit admitted he was using a CFW with his PS3, and that is simply not the case for HENkaku. Assuming it carries the same consequences is an unjustified leap of logic.

thuway

I wish there was a tutuorial for how to make retroarch work with CPS2. This thing gives me such a headache.

MacTag

Banned
Yep!

Someone did the calculations in another thread but they are super close. Basically 444 MHz Vita > n3DS > 333 MHz Vita >>>> 3DS/2DS

Counterpoint: this, so far, leaves the exact same traces as every ePSP exploit has been leaving since 2012. And nobody has ever been banned for that. That is an example that directly relates to this particular console, and not something that only tangentially touches this case. If you want another of that kind of examples, Nintendo hasn't banned anyone for using CFWs on the 3DS.

If you want to be cautious and refrain from using this for the time being, I think it's a sensible approach. But avoid resorting to baseless fearmongering, because, so far, nobody can say anything is set in stone either way. jrcbandit admitted he was using a CFW with his PS3, and that is simply not the case for HENkaku. Assuming it carries the same consequences is an unjustified leap of logic.

Ah maybe so man, I'm just being cautious. I don't even use my Vita much any more, Just have a LOT of digital PSN titles so don't want to lose them.

Oh geez

Those of you worried about a ban should just install henkaku and not touch your vita until everything dies down

Eventually Sony is going to completely stop funding the teams monitoring it and releasing updates

The most likely scenario is that they are just going to patch the exploit

I have never heard of ANY vita owner getting a ban

Murdamonk

I am wondering if someone will develop a Steam or PC remote play for the Vita (like Moonlight on Android).

That will be awesome.

LewieP

New nightly build of mGBA seems to be a pretty big improvement as far as performance is concerned.

Edit: Whoops, forgot the link.

Top Bottom