• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HENKaku -- Vita Homebrew and more comes to all 3.60 Vitas

ZoronMaro

Has anybody tried the Retroarch NXengine? Cause Cave Story on Vita sounds amazing.

I'm trying to keep count of what is and isn't working, but it sounds like people are mostly testing SNES, GBA, and Genesis emulators? I'm curious how the CPS1/2 and NeoGeo Libretro's run as well.

Young Magus

Has anybody tried the Retroarch NXengine? Cause Cave Story on Vita sounds amazing.

I'm trying to keep count of what is and isn't working, but it sounds like people are mostly testing SNES, GBA, and Genesis emulators? I'm curious how the CPS1/2 and NeoGeo Libretro's run as well.

CPS2 works fine
NeoGeo won't load nothing

I'm having issues trying out Snes9xnext. So I install the .vpk, and then simply load the roms (zipped) and it should work?

currently getting crashes (c2-12828-1) when trying to launch any game.

Edit: seems I was trying to open up zip files...oops. But when I try to launch directly from the ROM file, it gives me a Rom load fail, says Vita is configured to input #0, not sure what to do about that..

Used CatSFC, apparently Snes9xNext isn't working. Chrono Trigger looks gud on this OLED.

thuway

I'm adamantly looking for another OLED vita right now lol. This hack is too good to pass up. You know what else this hack inspired me to do?

-I purchased a 10.5 Inch Galaxy TAB S - yes a 10.5 INCH OLED TABLET.
-I purchased a Beboncool Wireless Gaming Telescopic Controller:

SF.US.42303143534542314851.3.jpg

And yes it is as awesome as it looks. Is it as portable as the Vita? No, but is it fucking mind boggling to see a 10.5 inch OLED device paired with a semi-decent android controller in a form factor that one can lug around the house with relative ease? YES YES YES.

My Vita and it share saves by FTPing and I can continue my JRPG's when I'm traveling around (*since I do it daily) - and I play this thing in my bed. This is so gorgeous ya'll.

Rockman

Hello everyone. Hopefully I can get some help to solve this issue. I'm sure it's something very stupid simple and but here goes. I downloaded the latest nightly build from http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/playstation/vita/ and installed the VPK's. When I launch any of the emulators it seems the cores are missing. I tried using the online update options but it doesn't seem to do anything. I tried restarting the Vita, redoing the exploit, and reinstalling the VPK's but get the same results. I also tried to load roms both in zip format and decompressed but that just crashes the emulators. Any help will be appreciated. I'm using a launch system if that matters any.

Hello everyone. Hopefully I can get some help to solve this issue. I'm sure it's something very stupid simple and but here goes. I downloaded the latest nightly build from http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/playstation/vita/ and installed the VPK's. When I launch any of the emulators it seems the cores are missing. I tried using the online update options but it doesn't seem to do anything. I tried restarting the Vita, redoing the exploit, and reinstalling the VPK's but get the same results. I also tried to load roms both in zip format and decompressed but that just crashes the emulators. Any help will be appreciated. I'm using a launch system if that matters any.

What are you trying to play?
When you load whatever emulator you are trying to use, go to "Load Content", search for the rom and load it.
For SNES, the files must be .sfc
For Genesis, the files must be .md

the VPKs are the cores. just select and load content

Tigerfog

Is it normal that the sound and music in the retroarch SNES core seem to have to a different pitch?
I've listened to Chrono Trigger and DKC2's songs since forever and they don't sound the same on my VITA.

Rockman

What are you trying to play?
When you load whatever emulator you are trying to use, go to "Load Content", search for the rom and load it.
For SNES, the files must be .sfc
For Genesis, the files must be .md

the VPKs are the cores. just select and load content

See I new it would be something stupid. I got the NES emulator working by decompressing the ROMS. Not sure what happened the first time I tried this. Thanks again!

DrkSage

ok managed to get everything running.... now how do i install the ROM files... (currently mGBA only installed)

CFW on psp and gba4ios have spoiled me

edit:nvm made was able to make a folder to place them all there and easy to reach when i launch mGBA

I'm adamantly looking for another OLED vita right now lol. This hack is too good to pass up. You know what else this hack inspired me to do?

And yes it is as awesome as it looks. Is it as portable as the Vita? No, but is it fucking mind boggling to see a 10.5 inch OLED device paired with a semi-decent android controller in a form factor that one can lug around the house with relative ease? YES YES YES.

My Vita and it share saves by FTPing and I can continue my JRPG's when I'm traveling around (*since I do it daily) - and I play this thing in my bed. This is so gorgeous ya'll.

So... you built yourself a more open NX? Dope!

Vidal

Get the tab s2 8 instead:

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_tab_s2_8_0-7439.php

The screen is superb and the tablet itself it is very thin.

I use that and the same ipega controller, works great.

N.A

Banned
With and without headphones, the pitch of the sound seems higher than on my real console. Yet, the games seem to run at their normal speed (60 FPS, yay). I wonder why. :\

Do you have a PAL SNES? All games will only run at 50hz on it.

Chesskid1

Banned
man it's only been 5 freakin days since this has been released and so much has been accomplished already. really damn impressive.

looks like the snes emulator is pretty great from what i'm hearing. i've never played link to the past before so i think i will start that next. i already own it on 3ds and i wanted to try it after beating link between worlds but never got around it. my first playthrough will be on vita it looks like, haha.

i see people are trying to get a persona 4 golden undub going after that decrypting games came out. wonder if that will be a big deal to some people.

Shaneus

Basically, it's worth it to upgrade if:
* You have a PSTV and want to use it for the whitelist
* You don't care about playing old PSP games (for the time being)
* You're willing to experiment and fiddle with emulators, nothing is perfect now
* You can accept that there's not a lot of things to tinker with/install right now, including emulators (especially compared to what was released for the PSP exploits)
* You're fine with things not being user-friendly

You're not missing out on any opportunities by waiting though, you can still upgrade to 3.60 anytime in the future and use the exploit, even if it's taken down or there's a new update released by Sony.

RexNovis

Banned
LibRetro posted a video showcasing the different RetroArch cores.

Also, could we not derail the topic with talk of tablets and whatnot? Let's try to stick to HENkaku here. If you think it's worth the discussion, create a new topic, and I'm sure the conversation will benefit a lot more from that :)

Looks like NeoGeo, Genesis and SNES are all still dropping frames on the regular. Hopefully things smooth out a bit more as they continue to update it

PHOTOSHOP

im getting
"View controller configuration in port #0" error message on some CPS2 and Neogeo roms.

Anyone experience this error when loading a rom?

thuway

I sure hope it’s better than it looks.

Honestly it's a little jarring at first, but you do get used to it after a half hour of play. Now I can't seem to put it down. If you ever played a Wii U in tablet mode, this is like that but on steroids. Alternating between it and Vita - has been pretty amazing and seamless. The transfer save file methods thanks to filezilla is pretty decent, but I wish there was a more elegant procedure. Also Nintendo/Sony/any major CE is not going to release a 10+ inch OLED gaming tablet any time soon without charging an arm and a leg.

It also doesn't look too bad man :p.

Ibp1Ricr.jpg

Get the tab s2 8 instead:

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_tab_s2_8_0-7439.php

The screen is superb and the tablet itself it is very thin.

I use that and the same ipega controller, works great.

I got a mind boggling good deal for the 10.5 inch Galaxy Tab S ($150). The big reason I chose to go with it, was it was the LAST "widescreen" 10.5 inch OLED tablet Samsung made. After this- they went full on 8:7. I was debating going a smaller tablet - but the deal came around and it was too good to pass up.

The only negative is the Ipega/Beboncool are essentially clones of each other - so I imagine they are both relatively annoying to put such a large tablet attachment onto. The snap from the telescoping hinge bruise the hell out of me the first time I did it wrong.

I hope Ipega/Beboncool look to make future iterations of the controller. It's good but falls short of greatness. It needs a rounded textured back, easier installation cues, and most importantly - the Triggers and D-Pad need a pretty big overhaul.

So... you built yourself a more open NX? Dope!

I didn't even think about it that way, this hack inspired me to go all in on what exactly a true semi-mobile platform could do with emulation. It's awe inspiring.

bonkeng

What is that game? Looks interesting.

Nightbird

Okay could someone explain for a dumb dumb like me what I want to do if I want to play some Pokémon gba rom hacks on my Vita?

I have done nothing to it yet, since I don't want to have any issues with the device. I didn't even install HEN.

Could someone please explain step by step what I need to do? :/

Trace

Banned
Question, is there a way of blocking the vita from playstation servers? I'd rather not take the risk of getting banned but only way to FTP right now afaik is through wireless.

bonkeng

Sorry I just googled a picture I found online of the same controller with a Samsung Tablet. The actual tablet + controller that I own is a few posts up with Final Fantasy V.

Oh bummer. But thanks for posting. I'll keep an eye on that particular game.

Saw your actual photo above. That's a really nice set up. Never knew there's a controller like that for tablets. I'd assume that controller fits on all tablets?

I have an Nvidia Shield tablet with the nvidia controller, and it's quite cumbersome to play as the controller is not attached. Needs a flat surface to play properly.

Chesskid1

Banned
Okay could someone explain for a dumb dumb like me what I want to do if I want to play some Pokémon gba rom hacks on my Vita?

I have done nothing to it yet, since I don't want to have any issues with the device. I didn't even install HEN.

Could someone please explain step by step what I need to do? :/

instructions are in the OP.

I thought this hack didn't allow Vita backups...

you can view the contents of games and modify them. can't copy full games or anything like that.

pje122

you can view the contents of games and modify them. can't copy games or anything like that.
I guess my point is what's the point in making an undub of the game if there's no way to play it. Unless you think a different hack that opens the system completely is coming soon.

Redhood

The best thing about vita is that it supports patches! So even if the full games are not cracked I could see modders and translators using patches to distribute their translations and people even with genuine carts could use them.

Top Bottom