• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HENKaku -- Vita Homebrew and more comes to all 3.60 Vitas

Tailzo

The best thing about vita is that it supports patches! So even if the full games are not cracked I could see modders and translators using patches to distribute their translations and people even with genuine carts could use them.

Oh wow, really? I'd love that! :) Then I could import a japanese copy, and with little effort, play it in english if there is an english fan-translation?

NeOak

3E3QDF1.png

update from yifanlu.

30,000 installs/future PSN bans and dynarec support

Isn't that like, the entire Vita install base outside Japan?

:(

Chesskid1

Banned
retroarch devs working hard
https://www.reddit.com/r/vitahacks/...136_beta_release_for_playstation3_and/d62889z

State of the port

What works

(Core-related) CatSFC / SNES. Works fine. Should run at fullspeed for most games (dip to 42fps on Yoshi’s Island intro screen (SuperFX2 game), seems to be fullspeed otherwise).
(Core-related) FB Alpha CPS1. Works fine. Fullspeed. Runs all games. Use an older FBA romset.
(Core-related) FB Alpha CPS2. Works fine. Fullspeed. Runs all the big CPS2 ROMs. Use an older FBA romset.
(Core-related) FB Alpha Neo Geo. Works fine. Fullspeed. Not all big ROMs will work right now though. KOF 96 could be loaded (about 23/24MB). Might have to play around with heap to be able to get bigger ROMs to load. For now expect same size limitations as the Wii port. Hopefully we can get past this soon.
(Core-related) FCEUmm. Works fine. Fullspeed.
(Core-related) Genesis Plus GX. Works fine. Fullspeed.
(Core-related) Mednafen Neo Geo Pocket Color. Works fine. Framerate at around 52/53fps. There might be a new Neo Geo Pocket Color core coming soon (not Mednafen NGP) which would run at fullspeed with no problems.
(Core-related) Handy / Lynx. Works fine. Fullspeed.
(Core-related) Mednafen Wonderswan. Works fine. Fullspeed.
(Core-related) Mednafen Virtual Boy. Works. Too slow (around 26fps). Corrupted pitch (likely due to 32bit color). Speedups/idle loop optimization hacks MIGHT bring this fullspeed later on.
(Core-related) NXEngine / Cave Story. Works fine. Fullspeed.

What doesn’t work

ROMS have to be currently unzipped now (EXCEPT for the FB Alpha ROMs).
No core switching yet from inside RetroArch. For now, each core is a standalone program.
Add Content -> Download Content currently doesn’t work. If you do try it, you might have to restart.
History list doesn’t work yet.
Save states can be saved, but cannot be loaded yet. We need to figure out why.
Threading needs to be still implemented.
(Core-related) 2048 core. ‘Start content’ does not work yet like it should. Wait until we fix this.
(core-related) Prboom/Doom core. Crashes after loading a Doom WAD. Wait until we fix this.
(Core-related) Picodrive core. Crashes after loading a ROM. Wait until we fix this.
(Core-related) QuickNES core. Doesn’t load a ROM. Wait until we fix this.
(Core-related) Gambatte core. Doesn’t load a ROM. Wait until we fix this.
(Core-related) SNES9x Next core. Doesn’t load a ROM. Wait until we fix this. Will likely be too slow compared to CatSFC anyway, so not sure if worth it for Vita.
(Core-related) DOSBox core. Haven’t tried this yet. Likely too slow to be worthwhile.

Future plans

More cores, fix remaining cores that are broken.
Try to get Cg runtime working so we can have Cg shaders running.
Try to get multiple gamepads working on PS TV.
More.

i feel like i'm doing something wrong with the retroarch one. i installed the SNES vpk and tried to open a rom and just say ROM failed every time.

do i have to put a core or something in? i thought it would already be there.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Yes, but then I might be trying to get it to work for 2 hours again?

Uh. I don't know? The first time I installed HENkaku, it took me three tries, a reboot and I got it on the fourth. Afterwards, I got it first try the two times I had to reboot my Vita. So YMMV.

It's the only way to upload your payload, as far as I know. If you're not in need of dynarec right now, wait until emulators start using it before trying to update.

Edit: Rebooted, run HENkaku, got it first try...

Are any PC Engine emus working yet?
If yes how is CD ROM support? Winds Of Thunder on the go sounds delicious!

Also keeping my fingers crossed for MAME as well.

DedValve

Banned
So before i install this i should basically buy all the games i want on the store like the swindle right?

What if i buy it from a ps3/4 and its cross buy, is there anyway to get the game on my vita after i install this?

Kilau

It's a joke. There's no tangible reason to think this will prompt Sony to ban anyone. At least, not more than any ePSP hack (which also showed up in the Activity Log).

Ah ok, yeah hopefully Sony won't ban anyone, unless people mess with online games or the like.

butman

I already have a n3DS with CFW and a Sony Xperia Z3 Compact that i'm use them as emulation device.

Looking the future possibilities of Vita emulation. Will Vita emulation be better than n3DS or it will reach the same limits where it will can't emulates PSX, Saturn, N64 or Dreamcast and i will stick with my Xperia Z3 to emulate these systems?

Tailzo

I already have a n3DS with CFW and a Sony Xperia Z3 Compact that i'm use them as emulation device.

Looking the future possibilities of Vita emulation. Will Vita emulation be better than n3DS or it will reach the same limits where it will can't emulates PSX, Saturn, N64 or Dreamcast?

It has already been discussed in this thred. Doesn't sound like Vita can be a lot better than N3ds when it comes to emulation. But it does have a much better screen.

Tailzo

Uh. I don't know? The first time I installed HENkaku, it took me three tries, a reboot and I got it on the fourth. Afterwards, I got it first try the two times I had to reboot my Vita. So YMMV.

It's the only way to upload your payload, as far as I know. If you're not in need of dynarec right now, wait until emulators start using it before trying to update.

Edit: Rebooted, run HENkaku, got it first try...

Ok thank you. Yeah, I wasn't nearly as lucky as you :p

edit:
I'm sorry for the double post!

I don't keep up with the homebrew/cfw scene, but do things usually move this fast?
So many people working on so many things and actually getting results. It's very cool.

Are we close to PS1 games yet? I'd kill to play Ps1 games that aren't on PSN on my Vita a la the PSP.

Portable Legend of Legaia YEAAAAAAAH!

I don't keep up with the homebrew/cfw scene, but do things usually move this fast?
So many people working on so many things and actually getting results. It's very cool.

not that I remember, a lot of emulators and plug ins are ports from previous CFW, now that henkaku is allowing you to basically install everything in the latest firmware, everything is coming fast, and that's good, because the psvita scene is coming back, such a great console.

twisted89

Looking the future possibilities of Vita emulation. Will Vita emulation be better than n3DS or it will reach the same limits where it will can't emulates PSX, Saturn, N64 or Dreamcast and i will stick with my Xperia Z3 to emulate these systems?

Considering the psp could emulate N64 (with varying degrees of success) I see no reason the vita couldn't do it well. Just a matter of someone putting the effort into porting properly and taking advantage of the power where possible.

Bladelaw

I picked up a PSTV on the cheap specifically hoping something like this would happen. Playing Persona 4 on a TV was a nice bonus.

I'm curious if the home brew scene will be able to make clients for things like Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime. It would make the PSTV the little media box I always wanted it to be.

firelogic

I'm trying to play Metal Slug on the FB Alpha Neo core and I'm not sure how to do it. When I unzip Metal Slug, it leaves a bunch of .bin files. When I transfer the folder over to the Vita (including the original .zip file), it only shows the .zip when I go to load content, then it gives an error of C2-12828-1 Saved Core File Succeeded. ux0:data/psp2core-1470242415-0x00000e3ed3-eboot.bin.psp2dmp

Any ideas?

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Are we close to PS1 games yet? I'd kill to play Ps1 games that aren't on PSN on my Vita a la the PSP.

Portable Legend of Legaia YEAAAAAAAH!

Valkyrie Profile on Vita is literally the #1 thing I've been hoping and waiting for since buying it. And now, no thanks to Square Enix, it might finally be possible. This hack is really a ray of sunshine.

Gamespawn

can't get the cps2 games to load. goes back the the retroarch menu. tried as both zip and uncompressed. just won't load anything.

Sakujou

Banned
i have a few questions, i havent read the past pages so i say sorry for this:

trophies? can i still sync them without updating to the newest firmware? can i sort of block it?

can i get my ps+games or will sony ask me to update to the latest firmware?

can i play patched ps vita/psp games with this firmware?

i heard there are also some undub-games available, would love to hear some updates and if they are working on vita.

henkaku.xyz is down due to an abuse report, apparently, so henkaku.me is up as a replacement. I had a brief panic when I restarted to get the updated package and couldn't load the site.

Top Bottom