• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HENKaku -- Vita Homebrew and more comes to all 3.60 Vitas

NeOak

Considering the psp could emulate N64 (with varying degrees of success) I see no reason the vita couldn't do it well. Just a matter of someone putting the effort into porting properly and taking advantage of the power where possible.
PSP had a MIPS CPU that meant the N64 CPU didn't have to be completely emulated.

Vita is an ARMv8 CPU at a low frequency. Totally different beast. And which likely won't be enough to emulate N64 for now.

PSP had a MIPS CPU that meant the N64 CPU didn't have to be completely emulated.

Vita is an ARMv8 CPU at a low frequency. Totally different beast. And which likely won't be enough to emulate N64 for now.
Not only that, but the PSP N64 emulator was extremely hacky and only cared about compatibility with popular games. Speedhacks out the wazoo.

Well, the Vita probably has the GPU going for it at least.

Joey Ravn

Banned
henkaku.xyz is down due to an abuse report, apparently, so henkaku.me is up as a replacement. I had a brief panic when I restarted to get the updated package and couldn't load the site.

Yep. Currently, the place to go is

http://henkaku.me/

It would be a wise idea to consider setting up a local server, in case there are some troubles in the future. Hopefully not, but you can never be too cautious!

Edit: Also, although only tangentially related, RetroArch on PS3.

Chesskid1

Banned
will update links to henkaku's new website ASAP.

also, the n64 emu for retroarch requires a rewrite due to no openGL support for the vita.

zfB4FEo.png

L.O.R.D

just reset my Vita TV,still crash the system every time i try to install it.
edit:just realized in didn't put any card on my VitaTV.

Chesskid1

Banned
So is it theoretically possible to load up an SNES emulator on PSTV and play 2 player games? Would love to coop some old classics.

yes, but not right now! it's listed as a feature for their future plans!
http://www.libretro.com/index.php/retroarch-1-3-6-beta-release-for-playstation3-and-ps-vita-henkaku/

just reinstalled henkaku for the 2nd time to get the newer payload/try the new website.

first install took 3 tries.

this time it worked on my 1st try.

sorry to you guys that are having problems installing it :(

I just tried to install and I thought it was going all well until my Vita stopped responding - black screen, no responses to power and home buttons - I'm not sure what to do...Is this response normal?

Joey Ravn

Banned
I just tried to install and I thought it was going all well until my Vita stopped responding - black screen, no responses to power and home buttons - I'm not sure what to do...Is this response normal?

Nope. If HENkaku install successfully, you should be booted out from the browser and the molecularShell bubble should have been created.

I honestly don't know what to do. If you can't do anything else, force-turn it off by pressing the power button for around 10 or 20 seconds. And then try again. I guess... I've never seen such behavior.

Edit:

Also. Does anyone know where the PSOne Classics are stored in the Vita's memory? I want to extract the PSX background the system uses in the Live Area of PSO Classics, but I can't find it for the life of me...

wow, the new payload is legit

the old one worked in like 5 tries on my PSTV but failed for an hour plus straight on my Vita and i tried every crackpot tip on every search result i could find but this just worked on the first try

Chesskid1

Banned

cool, added a little note about it. probably too complicated for most users i suppose.

also, RetroArch have responded to questions about n64 and ps1 emulation

Twinaphex @ libretro said:
I already said it elsewhere, if you want Mupen64 libretro on Vita, an OpenGLES driver implementation for libgxm is absolutely necessary. We need at least GLES2 at a bare minimum with FBO support, but it would be better if it was GLES3 honestly, that'd give us even more options and it would be better for performance as well considering the limited nature of GLES2 these days.

if you think any developer is going to go over every HLE video plugin in Mupen64plus and painstakingly handport it all back to libgxm code, I think you severely overestimate the amount of effort and time most devs are going to give that. I wish them good luck as well considering the clusterfuck that is N64 emulator code. I exercise extreme caution not to go down that road.

If the Vita homebrew scene wants lots of ready made content ready to be ported, a GLES2/3 implementation is looking increasingly absolutely necessary. Whoever is going to take on that task though is the big question right now. This [writing a GL driver] is something that professional engineers get paid a lot of money for to do at billion-dollar companies, think six-figure incomes. It's not some trivial job that any bedroom coder can just jump into.

And even when something gets to be up and running, expect there to be plenty of bugs and teething issues along the way as well.

We got "semi-lucky" on PS3 that Sony/nvidia already wrote a GLES 1.0 driver implementation for libgcm that we could readily use (PSGL), and even then, it being GLES 1.0 meant it was still very limiting and not of much use to libretro GL cores.

In other words, no, this isn't going to be available tomorrow or even the day after It requires organization and team effort and capable and willing people to work together with.

If people are willing and capable of working together with us on this, by all means, visit us at #retroarch or #libretro and let's get busy developing on this. But I stress that writing a GL driver is not something for the faint hearted. Be absolutely sure of your capabilities in this regard and that you know what you're getting yourself into.
http://libretro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3989&p=44131&viewfull=1#post44131

wECSBEy.png

i don't know what most of this stuff means, but yeah, there you go.

MDave

SNES, Megadrive/Genesis and Neo Geo look so good on this OLED vita screen. Minimal ghosting and blur too, looks fantastic with fast moving colourful 2D platformers.

So has Sony been banning people with the older vita hacks, TN-V etc? I'd like to sync trophies etc now and in the future but they're obviously not worth risking a ban over

This opening the door to lots of fan translations has me very excited.

Still, next to zero chance they'd ever translate the Golden Time VN I want :(

MDave

So has Sony been banning people with the older vita hacks, TN-V etc? I'd like to sync trophies etc now and in the future but they're obviously not worth risking a ban over

Historically speaking, they never banned anyone on PS3, PSP or VITA unless you were cheating online or manipulating trophies using hacks that you could use because of custom firmware etc. They are very unlikely to do anything unless you do those things.

Scavenger

Some1CP just posted the P4G undub guide

EDIT: I edited out the link because the guide contains links to files that I'm pretty sure aren't allowed to be shared here. You can google the guide.

Historically speaking, they never banned anyone on PS3, PSP or VITA unless you were cheating online or manipulating trophies using hacks that you could use because of custom firmware etc. They are very unlikely to do anything unless you do those things.
Thanks!
Can they differentiate between me getting trophies of an edited game vs a normal game though(the only use I can think of is fantranslations atm)... I know there's ps3 patches but asking if people have synced their trophies on top of installing the patch, I'm not expecting an answer since the pool of people who fall into that category is probably already small...I also don't get trophies for psn level(I get them for the additional challenges etc) or w.e its called so Idc about hacking them etc .

thuway

Total shot in the dark but has anyone managed to get Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo working on the Retroarch CPS2 core? I know it works, but I can't for the life of me find out why it's not working :/.

firelogic

SNES, Megadrive/Genesis and Neo Geo look so good on this OLED vita screen. Minimal ghosting and blur too, looks fantastic with fast moving colourful 2D platformers.

Which games have you tested for Neo Geo? All the ones I've tried don't load in FB Alpha Neo.

Chuy

awesome. just ordered phantasy star nova since fan trans are pretty much confirmed working now. only $17, i'm sure it will spike up later as they work on the patch and the news spreads. always looking for reason to order a vita game :)
This game along with zero/azure and tales of innocence r are the ones I hope get fan translations the most.
I'm guessing it's $17 on amazon right now? Might actually import it.

Producer

woah so undubs and fan translations can be possible already? Time to start using my vita again, been neglecting it for a while now.

thuway

awesome. just ordered phantasy star nova since fan trans are pretty much confirmed working now. only $17, i'm sure it will spike up later as they work on the patch and the news spreads. always looking for reason to order a vita game :)

Just did the same. This hack is proving to be too good.

Shaneus

Ugh, don't say that! I've updated my PSTV but holding onto my older firmware Vita for the time being just so I can play Lumines (and Outrun C2C) on it.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Question about PS Plus games...if online is kind of off limits after hacking, what happens to the online check Plus games do to see if you're still a member? Does it just not let you play them anymore after a certain amount of time without access to the store or updating?

Young Magus

Fan translations eh.....
Zero/Ao Evo here we gooooooo!!!!!!!!

Total shot in the dark but has anyone managed to get Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo working on the Retroarch CPS2 core? I know it works, but I can't for the life of me find out why it's not working :/.

It works.......
One of your ROMS might be faulty tho.

Which games have you tested for Neo Geo? All the ones I've tried don't load in FB Alpha Neo.

Im guessing earlier games/ things before KOF 98 will work fine.
Fatal Fury Special work well. Gonna try fatal fury 3 and breakers revenge later on

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Question about PS Plus games...if online is kind of off limits after hacking, what happens to the online check Plus games do to see if you're still a member? Does it just not let you play them anymore after a certain amount of time without access to the store or updating?

Doesn't it go by the expiration date?
Press Triangle and check the info.

Top Bottom