• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HENKaku -- Vita Homebrew and more comes to all 3.60 Vitas

fvng

These fucking idiots supporting the vitamin leak are going to bury the vita so quick. Jesus Christ. With the piracy floodgates open there will be zero incentive to develop new games for the system. Not only that but Sony is going to be in full red alert mode because this scene went from benign to malignant in just a few weeks, so this will also hurt the non-piracy home brew community as well

Foffy

Banned
Would one be able to use Vitamin to dump their own cartridge games to the memory card?

I actually ask because I'm one of the 12 dudes who owns a Vita and a PS TV. Being able to have the games on the memory card would actually be of ease to me; when I moved three years ago, I actually lost the physical boxes and carts of Uncharted and Unit 13. I would still have them in a sense today if this existed then. :(

It would probably help with having to deal with less "transfer" between the two "platforms".

iosefe

Would one be able to use Vitamin to dump their own cartridge games to the memory card?

I actually ask because I'm one of the 12 dudes who owns a Vita and a PS TV. Being able to have the games on the memory card would actually be of ease to me; when I moved three years ago, I actually lost the physical boxes and carts of Uncharted and Unit 13. I would still have them in a sense today if this existed then. :(

It would probably help with having to deal with less "transfer" between the two "platforms".

it would seem so

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
These fucking idiots supporting the vitamin leak are going to bury the vita so quick. Jesus Christ. With the piracy floodgates open there will be zero incentive to develop new games for the system. Not only that but Sony is going to be in full red alert mode because this scene went from benign to malignant in just a few weeks, so this will also hurt the non-piracy home brew community as well
Sony itself is long done with the Vita. I doubt this will have any huge impact on whether to localize some weird Japanese name or not.

fvng

Sony itself is long done with the Vita. I doubt this will have any huge impact on whether to localize some weird Japanese name or not.

They no longer develop first party games but they obviously have not laid the system to rest. There are still upcoming games and now they're even fewer reasons to develop new games for it

Producer

Bury the vita since it was so alive before..

Foffy

Banned
well I hope this doesnt impact cold steel 2 sales too much =(

Aren't the games users cited on the last few pages (Cold Steel II, World of FF, DQ Builders) also being released on consoles?

I think a niche platform like Vita will be fine. The people who won't buy these games didn't want to support such games anyway if they are looking for loopholes.

Lime

I think you're overestimating how many people are on Henkaku. Vita owners who don't read hackinformer/wololo/neogaf would have to avoid updating to 3.61

and I assume that [newer vita games] will require >3.61 anyway.

BigEmil

Bury the vita since it was so alive before..
Enough of the "Vita is already dead" comments it's still getting some third party and Indies support but with this now this will drastically reduce games now on going to it

I think you're overestimating how many people are on Henkaku. Vita owners who don't read hackinformer/wololo/neogaf would have to avoid updating to 3.61

and I assume that WoFF and DQB will require 3.61 anyway.
There will be firmware spoofers for sure which allows newer games requiring higher firmware to be playable on previous.

Tohsaka

They no longer develop first party games but they obviously have not laid the system to rest. There are still upcoming games and now they're even fewer reasons to develop new games for it

Japanese people have never been super into piracy like the west has, I'm not really worried about it. PSP continued to get new games for years after piracy was rampant, and the people who would pirate games for a current system usually are the type who would never buy them otherwise, so publishers aren't really losing sales.

Producer

Enough of the "Vita is already dead" comments it's still getting some third party and Indies support but with this now this will drastically reduce games now on going to it

You dont know that. Any pretty much all 3rd party non indie are jp devs which they dont care about piracy as western pubs.

Same situation as 3DS, piracy is rampant and easy to get, yet 3rd party games keep selling, we have 3rd party games on the npd 10 .

Maxinas

3DS piracy has been around for so long, many methods have been developed to make it as easy as counting to 3. You'd think 3ds support would have slowed down or stopped entirely a long time ago, but it hasn't, the same will be said for the vita. The userbase doesn't matter because niche games will always sell low amounts, and the vita has a loyal niche game fanbase compared to the 3ds.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

It will for third parties. Persona 2: Eternal Punishment wasn't translated (despite Innocent Sin/Part 1 being) partly due to Piracy and partly due to technical issues (and another part with the new handheld coming out). Same with some of the PSP titles that were still being published in Japan but western publishers were leery about publishing them due to Return of Interest.

Is this just an issue on my end, or is Retroarch not saving a history of recently loaded games or saving the directory path on the recent nightly (with the XMB-like interface)?

Also, any way to manually edit some config files to set up a custom button combination to open the overlay? Current ones can mess with gameplay a little, making them kind of impractical for save stating and the like.

well I hope this doesnt impact cold steel 2 sales too much =(

I would say there's a good chance any Vita release in the next six months to be severely negatively affected by the dumper release. I would also expect any and all Vita releases after this year would require 3.61 in order to try to stamp out piracy. Hell, if any developer or publisher releasing Vita games had any wit, they would be delaying their Vita games to put in a 3.61 restriction.

fvng

3DS piracy has been around for so long, many methods have been developed to make it as easy as counting to 3. You'd think 3ds support would have slowed down or stopped entirely a long time ago, but it hasn't, the same will be said for the vita. The userbase doesn't matter because niche games will always sell low amounts, and the vita has a loyal niche game fanbase compared to the 3ds.

False equivalence. 3DS's install base is so huge that piracy would only make a minor dent in software sales. It could sustain piracy, and software could still pull a profit. For Vita on the other hand, it's a fucking death blow for a system that's always been on thin ice.

Hope Sony patches this up quickly

Foffy

Banned
I would say there's a good chance any Vita release in the next six months to be severely negatively affected by the dumper release. I would also expect any and all Vita releases after this year would require 3.61 in order to try to stamp out piracy. Hell, if any developer or publisher releasing Vita games had any wit, they would be delaying their Vita games to put in a 3.61 restriction.

That will only work unless users figure out a way to break much of the encryption on the games.

I mean, let us be honest: that bubble of protection will probably burst before the end of the year, now that the hinge doesn't have a door on it.

That will only work unless users figure out a way to break much of the encryption on the games.

I mean, let us be honest: that bubble of protection will probably burst before the end of the year, now that the hinge doesn't have a door on it.

At which point, bluntly, if developers and publishers had any wit they'd cancel their Vita versions outside of Japan, since that would kill anyone's chances of making money on the system.

Shaneus

Well, my own dump of my P4G cartridge worked. That's neat.

I do look forward to the undub efforts for a few games that never got japanese language releases over here.
How big does the dump work out to be? I have P4G as well, if I could save needing the cart on my Vita and just use it on my PSTV, it'd be sweet.

Tohsaka

At which point, bluntly, if developers and publishers had any wit they'd cancel their Vita versions outside of Japan, since that would kill anyone's chances of making money on the system.

It's not like the smaller localizers have much to choose from, they can't really avoid localizing some Vita games. The people who pirate new games would never have bought the games if they had to pay for them anyway, so I don't see it costing them that many sales.

False equivalence. 3DS's install base is so huge that piracy would only make a minor dent in software sales. It could sustain piracy, and software could still pull a profit. For Vita on the other hand, it's a fucking death blow for a system that's always been on thin ice.

It's already "patched" out. 3.61 doesn't allow you to install Henkaku. The problem is that every Vita on market is under 3.61 currently and it's very easy to reach 3.60 manually if a Vita you find is below it.

The vita is already dead, it's legacy platform in Sony's eyes. Sony isn't really going to give a lot of crap aside from maybe banning (and that's iffy at best). You could argue that there wasn't much incentive to develop games in the first place now that their user base pales in comparison to other platforms, but companies do so out of loyalty (and these guys are in the very small minority compared to AAA games). Vita games aren't even close to the level of production you see from other platforms. I don't think it's worth panicking over.

t26

It's not like the smaller localizers have much to choose from, they can't really avoid localizing some Vita games. The people who pirate new games would never have bought the games if they had to pay for them anyway, so I don't see it costing them that many sales.

There are people who will buy new games, but will stop if they can get it for free. No matter how you look at it, it is taking cut from a already small pie.

fvng

The vita is already dead, it's legacy platform in Sony's eyes. Sony isn't really going to give a lot of crap aside from maybe banning (and that's iffy at best). You could argue that there wasn't much incentive to develop games in the first place now that their user base pales in comparison to other platforms, but companies do so out of loyalty (and these guys are in the very small minority compared to AAA games). Vita games aren't even close to the level of production you see from other platforms. I don't think it's worth panicking over.

Have they formally declared so? How is it a legacy platform when new games are in the pipeline? You guys are confusing sony's withdrawal of first party development to completely killing it as a platform. I advise you to look into what a legacy platform actually is

Tohsaka

There are people who will buy new games, but will stop if they can get it for free. No matter how you look at it, it is taking cut from a already small pie.

I'm sure there are some who will, but everyone I know who is into piracy for non-retro systems only really bought them once piracy was possible.

fvng

It's is genuinely embarrassing how people fail to understand basic fucking human nature. If you notice your competing athletes are juicing up you're going to be a sucker for putting yourself at an disadvantage by not juicing up either. It's the same logic. When everyone else around you is cutting the line there is no point in getting in the back of it and being patient. Bravo on Sony patching this shit

Have they formally declared so? How is it a legacy platform when new games are in the pipeline? You guys are confusing sony's withdrawal of first party development to completely killing it as a platform. I advise you to look into what a legacy platform actually is

Don't make assumptions when you don't even know what happened. No one even mentioned Sony's first party support in the first place. Anyways, one of the executives from Sony explicitly said the Vita is a legacy platform, and swiftly followed by a statement clarifying that he was referring to the 1st gen OLED Vita (which wouldn't explain why 2nd gen Vitas and PSTVs are becoming harder to find, not to mention the declining shelf space of vita games in the retail market. Furthermore, the document specifically mentions sales in Japan vs. the West). In other words, obvious PR damage controlling happened.

Source: http://ca.ign.com/articles/2015/05/28/sony-brands-vita-a-legacy-platform-outside-japan

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Aren't the games users cited on the last few pages (Cold Steel II, World of FF, DQ Builders) also being released on consoles?

I think a niche platform like Vita will be fine. The people who won't buy these games didn't want to support such games anyway if they are looking for loopholes.

Don't underestimate the stupidity of pirates. Just regarding Trails, one idiot was dumb enough to try to ask for support for his pirated PC copy on XSEED's own forums. He sent them his crash log which gave it away and he was told in the kindest possible way to fuck off.

fvng

Don't make assumptions when you don't even know what happened. No one even mentioned Sony's first party support in the first place. Anyways, one of the executives from Sony explicitly said the Vita is a legacy platform, and swiftly followed by a statement clarifying that he was referring to the 1st gen OLED Vita (which wouldn't explain why 2nd gen Vitas and PSTVs are becoming harder to find, not to mention the declining shelf space of vita games in the retail market. Furthermore, the document specifically mentions sales in Japan vs. the West). In other words, obvious PR damage controlling happened.

Source: http://ca.ign.com/articles/2015/05/28/sony-brands-vita-a-legacy-platform-outside-japan

Your initial comment was undone by yourself. Okay, they said it was a legacy platform, but then clarified that only the first model is legacy, and you're using that to establish that vita as entire platform is legacy? If you were trying to convince me that vita is a dead platform, you just persuaded me that it isnt with your link

So I've uninstalled CMA, but QCMA still isn't working for me properly. I've read you have to use Zadig to fix the USB drivers so it'd work.

Anyone know the proper USB Driver to use?

Your initial comment was undone by yourself. Okay, they said it was a legacy platform, but then clarified that only the first model is legacy, and you're using that to establish that vita as entire platform is legacy? If you were trying to convince me that vita is a dead platform, you just persuaded me that it isnt with your link

The initial comment is only undone if you lack critical thinking skills and just assume whatever someone says is automatically true. Like I said in the prior post, if you believe that the executive's damage control response is true, then why is it that the retail space is diminishing (with regards to software)? Why are Vita consoles not that easy to find in the retail market? The link I provided even mentions that Sony recognized that sales are declining in Europe and NA, which is precisely why I'm calling BS on their so-called clarification, especially when the initial comment didn't even care about generation as much as they care about sales. What's more interesting is why you don't think it's a legacy platform. There are many legacy platforms that are still supported until production is ceased, so just because games are coming out, doesn't necessarily mean that a console isn't considered a legacy platform.

Watch out with your saves when you dump!

If you lose your save using vitamin saves are stored in ux0:/user/00/savedata_org transfer back to savedata to get them back

Source: discord

fvng

The initial comment is only undone if you lack critical thinking skills and just assume whatever someone says is automatically true. Like I said in the prior post, if you believe that the executive's damage control response is true, then why is it that the retail space is diminishing (with regards to software)? Why are Vita consoles not that easy to find in the retail market? The link I provided even mentions that Sony recognized that sales are declining in Europe and NA, which is precisely why I'm calling BS on their so-called clarification, especially when the initial comment didn't even care about generation as much as they care about sales. What's more interesting is why you don't think it's a legacy platform. There are many legacy platforms that are still supported until production is ceased, so just because games are coming out, doesn't necessarily mean that a console isn't considered a legacy platform.

okay, so vita is practically dead in the west, but not in japan where there are games in the pipeline. that's still sufficient reason for me to not want piracy on the platform, not to mention world of final fantasy and bloodstained in the near future. yes there isn't an avalanche of upcoming releases but it's not flatlined either. whether or not new games are developed, companies are still selling games on the psn store for vita and psp, so explain to me why they should be deprived of potential sales just because Vita is on its deathbed?

I'm a-okay with homebrew stuff and emulation, but pirating software that companies are still trying to monetize on, is fucked up in my opinion.

Nowadays piracy on 3DS is really simple. You can either do it by CFW or by cards such as Gateaway or Sky3DS. It's especially easy on Sky3DS since it works on latest firmware.

Now piracy on Vita isn't really comparable to 3DS because of the install bases, 3DS has a much bigger audience compared to Vita. Only hoping this won't effect sales drastically, else localizations will slow down.

3ds is even easier than that... If you're on custom firmware, you can download games from Nintendo's own servers... It's really really bad shape right now.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Backing up my carts is like the exact opposite of convenient for me with the Vita...memory prices are so stupid and file sizes are so large that it's just not worth it.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Can we just stop this "Vita is now dead" stuff? That is not what what this topic is for. You are free to create a new topic and vent all you want there. Just don't derail this topic, especially if you're a new user who came in just to shit on HENkaku.

Well, it seems you're in luck and got your wish granted. HENkaku has been already patched with OFW 3.61, two weeks ago. The Vita is saved.

Also, news!

TheFloW will release an OFFICIAL version of Vitamin today :)

Top Bottom