• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HENKaku -- Vita Homebrew and more comes to all 3.60 Vitas

ty_hot

as this is the only vita thread up:

is there any way to install the old facebook/twitter/youtube apps in the Vita (3.61)? and in the Henkaku 3.60?

Chesskid1

Banned
as this is the only vita thread up:

is there any way to install the old facebook/twitter/youtube apps in the Vita (3.61)? and in the Henkaku 3.60?

no point, they were removed because those websites changed API and broke old apps, so they wouldn't work anyways.

perhaps people will code their own in the future -- but i doubt there is much demand.

Jebusman

Banned
Whelp, if I can get my copy of P4G onto my memory card soon I'll be set forever.

Guess the floodgates are going to open now though.

Lgndryhr

I am happy and sad this has happened to the Vita. I will eventually pick one up. Hard to find a new one in my area and I am cautious of buying used on eBay.

Powwa

3DS piracy is much more complicated and you need to buy separate cards such as Gateway to get it etc which can be costly and much harder to hack the 3DS.
Vita piracy is way easier and doable compared to 3DS works on the mem card and to apply the hack very quick and easy. So yes its not comparable to 3DS piracy.

Nowadays piracy on 3DS is really simple. You can either do it by CFW or by cards such as Gateaway or Sky3DS. It's especially easy on Sky3DS since it works on latest firmware.

Now piracy on Vita isn't really comparable to 3DS because of the install bases, 3DS has a much bigger audience compared to Vita. Only hoping this won't effect sales drastically, else localizations will slow down.

Jebusman

Banned
The thirst was a little too real in the community I think.

The Vita has been around for over 4 years now, and it took this long for piracy to actually happen. Compared to the PSP (which was day 1 lol) and the DS, I think the community hungered, even those you would normally expect not to be on that side.

Living on the edge of danger I'm trying it out right now. Advice to anyone else who tries. Go into your Power Save options and set your auto standby to the longest setting possible.

Apparently the app doesn't stop itself from doing so, and it interrupted the dumping process for me.

Also, any game that uses the extended memory mode by default apparently will not work, as it force closes any other running apps on the vita, and part of the game dumping process is that the game is actually running in the background. I'm not sure which retail games do so, the only one I know offhand is the patched version of Borderlands 2.

BigEmil

You need a 3DS with 9.2 or just a simple entry way for a CFW where you can install everything. The only thing that is different that you have to get something for the entry point (where there is more than one entry point) and you need to read a simple guide. Yes it is comparable and yes you can compare both because they have one firmware for CFW.

Edit: CFW which doesn't Vita have yet or maybe won't ever (which doesn't stop installing these games, but what about future games if eboots cannot be changed for that firmware?)
The steps for doing it on 3ds is indeed longer and harder. Also all this time for years you needed proprietary cards such as Gateway for years. Now just recently after long they found a new better way for CFW. All this time you needed Gateway, Sky3DS. For Vita however day 1 you just need Henkaku which is fast and simple and no additional tools needed.

Chesskid1

Banned
The thirst was a little too real in the community I think.

for me, it's interesting to see how much i changed and don't care about piracy at all anymore. i guess building up huge backlogs of awesome games caught up with me. not going to lie, i really like
trophies
too.

Glix

The steps for doing it on 3ds is indeed longer and harder. Also all this time you did need proprietary cards such as Gateway for years. Now just recently they found a new way for CFW. All this time you needed Gateway. For Vita however day 1 you just need Henkaku which is fast and simple and no additional tools needed.

You are reaching dude.

First off ALL THIS TIME vs DAY 1

LOLOLOLOL. 3ds piracy has been available all this time. For Vita TODAY is day one.

You can buy either system today and hack it easily with no additional tools.

That is parity.

Lets recap -

You have one system that was hard to pirate on (but doable) for some time. Now it is no longer hard. Companies are releasing games and supporting the system and making money and they are happy.

You have another system which has been out for 4 years and piracy is now just available today.

So explain to me how your original point works?

Jebusman

Banned
vitamin could be used to psp games? like crisis core?

I don't think so? I'm pretty sure it just dumps cartridges and any vita games installed from the PSN. I don't think it can handle PS1/PSP titles. I don't have any installed on my Vita to confirm that though.

On that note, boy is this a slow dumping process. I'd say it's averaging around 1MB/s. I'm not sure if that's a limitation of the cartridge, the memory card or the program, but it's definitely not a quick process.

Also P4G is apparently nothing but .mp4 files.

If I can still connect to PSN (I might have to update Henkaku) I'll see what the performance is like dumping something already on the memory card.

DJKhaled

3DS piracy is much more complicated and you need to buy separate cards such as Gateway to get it etc which can be costly and much harder to hack the 3DS.
Vita piracy is way easier and doable compared to 3DS works on the mem card and to apply the hack very quick and easy. So yes its not comparable to 3DS piracy.

You have no idea what you're talking about

Qwark

On one hand, I'm glad that PSMobile games will hopefully be able to be archived. I have quite a few on my Vita, and I can't even change memory cards or they're gone forever.

On the other hand... I'm afraid this will hurt the relatively strong software sales on Vita and that this will be used for mostly nefarious gains.

BosSin

the henkaku page keeps refreshing for me and sometimes throws the error and I press ok. Then it continues to refresh.

Weird, I'm going to let it go for a little while before giving up

EDIT: works now, turned it off/on and removed a game inside the vita

Not anymore. The custom cards are currently essential for messing with DS mode, which is sort of equivalent to Vita's PSP support. 3DS hacks, including backups, can be done by themselves as long as you have a fitting firmware version. Granted, commercial 3DS pirate cards exist, but they're far away from being needed.

Setting things up takes a while, granted. But believe me, people who are really into piracy don't care.

That's not to say that there won't be any impact on Vita consumer base. I have no idea about Vita consumer base working one way or the other. I would remain optimistic, however. A lot of people who saw the whole thing as just "free games" are now playing actual "free games" after all.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Can we just stop "discussing" 3DS homebrew, piracy and CFWs, please? There's a great topic devoted exclusively to that discussion (not piracy, though). It has nothing to do with HENkaku. I don't know what GearFourth is trying to accomplish here, with his outdated and misinformed representation of 3DS CFWs, but it serves absolutely no purpose for this thread. So just let it be and let's keep on topic, shall we?

On that note, boy is this a slow dumping process. I'd say it's averaging around 1MB/s. I'm not sure if that's a limitation of the cartridge, the memory card or the program, but it's definitely not a quick process.

I guess it's limited by the read/write speed of the Vita's internal memory itself. Transfering large files is also quite slow. I guess that dumping from a cartridge should be faster than dumping from a digital game, since the hardware doesn't have to be accessed to both read and write at the same time (think of moving a large file from one HDD to another and another file from the latter to the former HDDs at the same time), but even then it's painfully slow.

Varth

So I caved in, borrowed a wireless router to transfer files from the FTP to Vita, and installed RetroArch. Long and troublesome, but totally worth the effort.

That being said, holy shit, it's still VERY rough.

Most annoying part is the need to launch cores independently depending on the hw of the emulated game unlike MAME :(, not because I want to launch 30 games in 30 seconds or something, but since it forces me to remember that game x is CPS1 and another one is CPS2 and load the core accordingly.

I guess there's no way to make the rom list show up only the supported games for that core, right?

Also, 2 nitpicks:

Is there an option to load custom side art for the screen?

Finally: there's got to be a way to default to the rom folder for loading instead of having to navigate each time, right? How?

Does the Vita have to be kept from going to sleep during the dumping process? I keep getting errors in the process and installing the vpk doesn't work.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Is there an option to load custom side art for the screen?

Finally: there's got to be a way to default to the rom folder for loading instead of having to navigate each time, right? How?

Inside RetroArch? You can load overlays for each core. Some examples here.

You can configure the default directory in Settings > Directory > File Browser, and select whatever you want :)

Does the Vita have to be kept from going to sleep during the dumping process? I keep getting errors in the process and installing the vpk doesn't work.

From Reddit (can't post source!):

UPDATE: Go to Registry editor and Change the suspend_interval(POWER SAVING) to 180000 seconds which is 50Hrs. That would fix the sleeping issue in case of large games.

KiraXD

Inside RetroArch? You can load overlays for each core. Some examples here.

You can configure the default directory in Settings > Directory > File Browser, and select whatever you want :)

Go to Registry editor and Change the suspend_interval(POWER SAVING) to 180000 seconds which is 50Hrs. That would fix the sleeping issue in case of large games.

woah woah woah... hold up... is there a way to stop the screen from dimming automatically every 2 minutes? (the dimming which you cant natively turn off... that dims during cutscenes and other times where youre inactive for a couple minutes...)

and where do i find the suspend_interval file?

sueil

Is it possible to backup my saves from my vita without using content manager? I tried connecting to my PC but it want's me to update my firmware. Can I just move the files over ftp?

Jebusman

Banned

Oh man that would've been helpful before I started this. I just keep tapping the screen every few minutes to make sure it's staying awake.

The lack of progress bar/% is a little annoying, because I have no idea how far into this 1.87GB file the dumping process is. Given my ~1MB/s estimate, it's taking about an hour to dump my copy of P4G (which I want to say is a ~3.5GB game).

Alright it finally finished, although of course at the VERY END OF IT ALL it gave me an error on the "Finishing...." line of progress. I'm gonna install the .vpk and hope it works.

Oh wow... the floodgates truly opened. A huge quantity of games were dumped in the last hour or two.

I hope this doesn't fuck up with the emulators progress.

KiraXD

Is the registry editor in the vita or on the pc?

found it! its a VPK you install on your vita that accesses the Registries which you can alter in the app!

https://github.com/some1psv/RegistryEditor/releases

already found what i was looking for too! (originally dimming interval was set to 900)
fJM9vgK.jpg

i fucking really hope it does what i think it does

UPDATE:

I found the registry editor (google registry editor for vita) and changed the power save setting but it's still turning off.

yeah, i changed the power interval and dimming interval and nothing is happening...

Jebusman

Banned
copying this vpk from my vita to my PC is taking just as long as the dumping process took lol. Apparently can't handle more than 2MB/s in any sense.

I also couldn't get my dump to install but I'm thinking I'm still on the older version of Vitashell/molecularshell, so I gotta update it first and see if that solves it.

Edit: So all the animated P4G cutscenes are just on the cartridge as .mp4 files. That's neat. Nice clean rips of everything.

They also make up about 40% of the total game size lol.

Edit 2: Ok yeah, it was just my old version of Vitashell stopping me. Game is now (slowly) installing.

Lime

Shoot vita piracy

Rip

Do you think henkaku will be able to bypass updates so I can download dlc?

the recent update lets you bypass PSN version check and let's you access all DLC/games/content without having to use a PS3. Go update your henkaku by accessing the web address.

Shaneus

First, I shouldn't sleep. Now, I shouldn't have dinner. Most major news happen right when I'm doing something "not productive" :p

https://twitter.com/theflow0/status/770356271346225153

Holy shit. The drama is real.
Wait, didn't Major_Tom announce he was leaving the scene? Is that after his friend potentially leaked Vitamin (but before it was leaked to the public)?

Fucking jailbreak/hack drama, man. Same thing happens in the iOS scene and it shits me to tears.

Jebusman

Banned
Well, my own dump of my P4G cartridge worked. That's neat.

I do look forward to the undub efforts for a few games that never got japanese language releases over here.

Top Bottom