• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HENKaku -- Vita Homebrew and more comes to all 3.60 Vitas

Canklestank

Neo Member
A few questions:

- What SNES core is everyone using? I beat Chrono Trigger using catsfc but it doesn't appear to be included in the latest retroarch nightlies

- Does loading save states work in any of the SNES cores yet? I can't get this to work.

Catsfc was renamed to SNESx9 2005. Save states have been working for a while last time I checked. What problem are you having?

How do I enable the XMB for retroarch? I downloadede the latest lightly but its still the old version.

edit: wtf now when i boot it up i just get a black screen, after it said controllers configured. even reinstalling the vpks did nothing. This was after i set it to xmb and restarted.

You have to delete retroarch.config after switching it and it will work.

ss_lemonade

Thanks for this. I know purists will say stretched looks bad, but I don't mind it. I like the picture to fill the screen for SNES games, I've been playing with a stretched screen on my n3DS too! Is there a way of saving the setting so I don't have to set it each time? When I closed and re-opened the core, it went back to 4:3.
Retroarch by default only saves config changes (and game saves I believe) after you cleanly exit the application. By cleanly, I mean going to the menu and selecting "Exit Retroarch", and not just pressing home on your vita and closing the app from there.

Can you tell me which encoding did you use? i have the same problem...
Just UTF8 but you probably could also just create a clean text file with notepad and edit that. The reason I had the problem was because I got lazy and copied over a random file, renamed it to the appropriate text file and edited that. Problem was that source file was not a simple text file.

Has anyone else noticed that Henkaku seems to install .vpks slower now than it did on earlier versions, or is that just on my end? Also I've been uninstalling RA cores every time I update - do I have to do that or can I just install over it.

Also damn, glad to hear people are still making progress on reverse engineering it! Exciting stuff.

Catsfc was renamed to SNESx9 2005. Save states have been working for a while last time I checked. What problem are you having?

Confirmed that save states work for me.

Unfortunately the save states I created with early August builds of catsfc are not loading in SNES9x2005. Were the old build creating corrupt states? Is there any way to fix/recover them?

shmoglish

Someone else got saveproblems with realboy (Gameboy/gbc) Emu? Tried it with a few games, nothing has been saved. Had the same Problem with mgba (saving via Emulator works).

Confirmed that save states work for me.

Unfortunately the save states I created with early August builds of catsfc are not loading in SNES9x2005. Were the old build creating corrupt states? Is there any way to fix/recover them?

Why would catsfc save states work in snes9x? Different emus, different save state architectures. This is different from sram saves which should be emulator agnostic.

Dambrosi

Banned
Good to hear the Vita scene has decided to pick up again. Here's to a more permanent CFW down the line.

But...piracy already? Sucks, but it is what it is.

Good to hear the Vita scene has decided to pick up again. Here's to a more permanent CFW down the line.

But...piracy already? Sucks, but it is what it is.
It's going to be a very odd scene I feel. If you have taken a look at Yifan Lu's posts you'd know the Vita is a incredibly secure system and everybody from molecule but him think that breaking the ROP chain blindly is impossible - he wants to see if there are any hackers that can break the system again. It's very well possible this will be the only exploit the Vita will see on this level and by extension will ensure piracy doesn't get trivially out of hand like the 3DS did. With that said considering most active Vita users are probably well aware of the benefits of homebrew and piracy if they want - I'd wager a guess we might see a PSP effect of late generation Japanese titles failing to get localized if that userbase truly does embrace piracy like they did on PSP.

It's going to be a very odd scene I feel. If you have taken a look at Yifan Lu's posts you'd know the Vita is a incredibly secure system and everybody from molecule but him think that breaking the ROP chain blindly is impossible - he wants to see if there are any hackers that can break the system again. It's very well possible this will be the only exploit the Vita will see on this level and by extension will ensure piracy doesn't get trivially out of hand like the 3DS did. With that said considering most active Vita users are probably well aware of the benefits of homebrew and piracy if they want - I'd wager a guess we might see a PSP effect of late generation Japanese titles failing to get localized if that userbase truly does embrace piracy like they did on PSP.

I think this is far more likely a threat than on psp... Even if the percentage of pirates to legit users is the same, the fact is that devs will be fighting for ever tighter margins since there were 50 million psps, and only 15 million vita.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I tried finalburn alpha 2012 and while the number of working roms isn't that different from mame 2k3, the ones i tried were at full speed.

Is fbalpha(without 2012) better or worse than 2012? Its file size is bigger than 2012.

Joey Ravn

Banned

Actually, St4rk thinks it seems possible ;)

Tried out the latest nightly for FBAlpha 2012 and it ran perfectly at full speed with a couple of the 25th Anniversary Neo Geo humble bundle games I tried: KOF 2002, Garou and Last Blade.

animax

Has anyone else noticed that Henkaku seems to install .vpks slower now than it did on earlier versions, or is that just on my end?

I'm guessing that's because molecularShell/Henkaku now has to scan the vpk to see if it's using any dangerous system calls. Part of the whole "safe vpk" enforcing

Lime

World of Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest Builders sales will be really low now thanks to piracy

I think you're overestimating how many people are on Henkaku. Vita owners who don't read hackinformer/wololo/neogaf would have to avoid updating to 3.61

and I assume that WoFF and DQB will require 3.61 anyway.

tzare

Hi,
installed the original henkaku when it was released but i haven't used my vita since then, and since emulators seem to have improved a lot and going to install dome of them , i was wondering if it is important to update to latest henkaku version.
If so, should i power off my vita and do the same process again to install the latest version? or can i do it via molecular shell (is it called like this isn't it)

Mendrox

World of Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest Builders sales will be really low now thanks to piracy

Bullshit. About 100.000 people use(d) HENKaku. Games are only avaiable through one group at the moment which doesn't even release games for every region. There will be just enough sales.

Joey Ravn

Banned

Piracy is much more widespread on 3DS, with both software and hardware "solutions" to pirate games. And in spite of that, Pokémon X and Y have sold a combined total of 15 million units.

Don't fool yourself: if a game doesn't sell on Vita it's not because piracy killed its potential sells. It's because it's on Vita.

Hi,
installed the original henkaku when it was released but i haven't used my vita since then, and since emulators seem to have improved a lot and going to install dome of them , i was wondering if it is important to update to latest henkaku version.
If so, should i power off my vita and do the same process again to install the latest version? or can i do it via molecular shell (is it called like this isn't it)

Yeah, just turn your Vita off, turn it on again and go to the molecularShell bubble. Click on "Install" and follow the same process as before. It may take a few tries, but it'll install it sooner or later. The latest release allows you to access the PSN on 3.60, so go for it!

Lime

Hi,

Just use molecular shell's link to the website and it'll update to the latest version

Zephyx

Piracy on Vita will kill possibilities of future localization or indie projects regardless of how small or big it is. Very few devs or pubs will take risks if piracy starts to exist even in small amounts as the Vita already caters to a small and niche market. I dont really like this happening but I guess it was inevitable.

Well, it was fun while it lasted. I guess we still have a year to fully enjoy it.

Piracy on Vita will kill possibilities of future localization or indie projects regardless of how small or big it is. Very few devs or pubs will take risks if piracy starts to exist even in small amounts as the Vita already caters to a small and niche market. I dont really like this happening but I guess it was inevitable.

Well, it was fun while it lasted. I guess we still have a year to fully enjoy it.
If this was the case the PSP would have totally stopped having localizations, which it didn't, and the 3ds and ds wouldn't have seen nearly as much success.

This myth that piracy just totally stops software support is just that. Not to mention the fact that new software will certainly require higher firmwares, and henkaku, as others have said, is unlikely to be brought to newer firmwares.

Zephyx

If this was the case the PSP would have totally stopped having localizations, which it didn't, and the 3ds and ds wouldn't have seen nearly as much success.

This myth that piracy just totally stops software support is just that. Not to mention the fact that new software will certainly require higher firmwares, and henkaku, as others have said, is unlikely to be brought to newer firmwares.

I didn't actually say it will totally stop receiving software support. What i was saying is that if piracy is enabled somehow, localization pubs or indies will second guess themselves if the risk they're taking is worth it. For example, if a game was originally ps4/vita, they might just consider the ps4 only given the small install base,the risk involved in piracy and other things. It is already happening today with some games even without the piracy element. It's another unnecessary risk.

You can cite the 3DS/DS/PSP but those devices have double or triple the install base of Vita that the risk of your piracy can be alleviated somehow if you can sell even to a small percent of your install base. The games you develop for either the PSP or DS is also cheaper as development costs was cheaper those days. You dont have those cushions with the Vita.

Yes, it's unlikely that henkaku will be ported to newer versions but it is still a kernel exploit. Who's to say it won't be able to bypass version checks one day for new software? I'm not really an expert on how the exploit was developed but I still know a bit about software development to make an assessment on how I think it will go from here.

EDIT: Nevermind - can we just keep this thread solely for HENKaku and not for doom and gloom over piracy? There can be a separate thread for discussions regarding the implications the possibility of piracy has on development - it doesn't need to take place in a homebrew thread.

Joey Ravn

Banned
EDIT: Nevermind - can we just keep this thread solely for HENKaku and not for doom and gloom over piracy? There can be a separate thread for discussions regarding the implications the possibility of piracy has on development - it doesn't need to take place in a homebrew thread.

I second this motion, especially considering there is absolutely no hard data on whether piracy "will kill the Vita" or not.

This thread is for homebrew and scene discussion, not moral and business debates.

Zephyx

Well, it just seems sad that it eventually came to this when the initial outlook was really good. Homebrews are definitely good but what usually follows is not that desirable. Sorry if I was a bit off-topic. Just reacting to the posts above me. Carry on!

KiraXD

Okay so after trying different snes9x (2010/2005/2005plus) 2005 seems to run seiken densetsu 3 fullspeed (with full speed audio) the only trouble im having is these weird lines in the menu... Any idea how to fix?

1b34I7w.jpg

Question. Probably going to be picking up a 64gb card and was wondering about the ease of transferring. I've done backups before, but never with CFW. Is it just as simple as backing up the memory card like normal or should I prepare to reinstall all my homebrew?

Joey Ravn

Banned
Okay so after trying different snes9x (2010/2005/2005plus) 2005 seems to run seiken densetsu 3 fullspeed (with full speed audio) the only trouble im having is these weird lines in the menu... Any idea how to fix?

1b34I7w.jpg

The menu is always really problematic. I think it's because the translation somehow messes up the emulation. Until it was fixed, the VC injection version was unplayable due to messed up graphics. I think there's no way around it, unless the RetroArch people address the problem specifically (which they don't usually do, since they prefer standardization to game-by-game fixes).

Also, Miku is "in the wild".

Lime

Question. Probably going to be picking up a 64gb card and was wondering about the ease of transferring. I've done backups before, but never with CFW. Is it just as simple as backing up the memory card like normal or should I prepare to reinstall all my homebrew?

like normal

KiraXD

The menu is always really problematic. I think it's because the translation somehow messes up the emulation. Until it was fixed, the VC injection version was unplayable due to messed up graphics. I think there's no way around it, unless the RetroArch people address the problem specifically (which they don't usually do, since they prefer standardization to game-by-game fixes).

Also, Miku is "in the wild".

Ah, well no worries then... I can get by with the menu like that, im just glad i figured out how to get the game running full speed with snes9x 2005. Snes9x 2010 was absolute garbage and laggy (though the menus were actually fine in that version)

BigEmil

Bullshit. About 100.000 people use(d) HENKaku. Games are only avaiable through one group at the moment which doesn't even release games for every region. There will be just enough sales.

Piracy is much more widespread on 3DS, with both software and hardware "solutions" to pirate games. And in spite of that, Pokémon X and Y have sold a combined total of 15 million units.

Don't fool yourself: if a game doesn't sell on Vita it's not because piracy killed its potential sells. It's because it's on Vita.
3DS piracy is much more complicated and you need to buy separate cards such as Gateway to get it etc which can be costly and much harder to hack the 3DS.
Vita piracy is way easier and doable compared to 3DS works on the mem card and to apply the hack very quick and easy. So yes its not comparable to 3DS piracy.

Tohsaka

3DS piracy is much more complicated and you need to buy separate cards such as Gateway to get it etc which can be costly and much harder to hack the 3DS.
Vita piracy is way easier and doable compared to 3DS works on the mem card and to apply the hack very quick and easy. So yes its not comparable to 3DS piracy.

You haven't needed a Gateway to pirate 3DS games for quite a while now. Everyone I know who pirates them just uses CFW. You also don't need costly proprietary memory cards on the 3DS like you do with the Vita, so it's an even cheaper option if you just want to pirate.

Mendrox

You need a 3DS with 9.2 or just a simple entry way for a CFW where you can install everything. The only thing that is different that you have to get something for the entry point (where there is more than one entry point) and you need to read a simple guide. Yes it is comparable and yes you can compare both because they have one firmware for CFW.

Edit: CFW which doesn't Vita have yet or maybe won't ever (which doesn't stop installing these games, but what about future games if eboots cannot be changed for that firmware?)

Chesskid1

Banned
checked out the shady reddit for vita after vitahacks banned copyrighted download links and saw a familiar face.

i do games -- basically a big vita collector who makes youtube videos about his latest vita pick-ups. i like to watch it to discover new games to buy, what i'm missing, etc.

he volunteered to rip the entire NA PSN library. it would literally take like 5 minutes to identify this guy.

people are really dumb/oblivious when it comes to piracy sometimes.

Glix

As a general response to some of these posts... At least in America...

I see the few people that still buy vita games as true supporters. We love our jrpgs and Mikus and other stuff and we are thrilled when they get localized and even more thrilled when we can buy a physical copy or a special edition.

We WANT to support these pubs.

While I don't doubt there will be large numbers of iso's or whatever downloaded, if you watch the torrent trackers, I don't think the actual sales of the games will take a big hit.

At least here in America.

jackal27

Banned
All the people who updated to 3.61 for Psn

brendan_fraser_laugh.gif

But in all seriousness I'm sure Sony will start handing out bans if the hacks keep up like this.

I think my Vita might have downloaded the update, but I haven't installed it. Is there a way for me to get rid of it??

Hmm just saw some old posts on it. I'll give that a shot.

Nah breh, 3DS was easy too. Your point is moot.

People think it was hard (like I once did), but it isn't actually.

I think my Vita might have downloaded the update, but I haven't installed it. Is there a way for me to get rid of it??

Hmm just saw some old posts on it. I'll give that a shot.
Yes, there is. In one of the directories are the used update files located. Delete these files.

This is explained a few pages back.

Top Bottom