• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HENKaku -- Vita Homebrew and more comes to all 3.60 Vitas

Salty Hippo

What are the chances of good N64, Saturn and Dreamcast emulation? Will buy a Vita in a heartbeat once I can play at least 2 out of those 3.

RexNovis

Banned
What are the chances of good N64, Saturn and Dreamcast emulation? Will buy a Vita in a heartbeat once I can play at least 2 out of those 3.

Doesn't Saturn already have a retroarch core up and running? I'm pretty sure I read someone testing it out earlier in the thread.

Edit: Yep. Albeit it appears its still most just a proof of concept as most games aren't yet playable.

N64 is kinda tricky to emulate due to the architecture of the Vita

I think PSP had an advantage there over vita because of shared hardware. I wouldn't have high hopes of playing n64 on vita for now.

PSP had a MIPS CPU that meant the N64 CPU didn't have to be completely emulated.

Vita is an ARMv8 CPU at a low frequency. Totally different beast. And which likely won't be enough to emulate N64 for now.

so I'm not sure how feasible that would be.

The Vita simply doesn't have the throughput to emulate Dreamcast so that certainly won't happen.

Trace

Banned
Doesn't Saturn already have a retroarch core up and running? I'm pretty sure I read someone testing it out earlier in the thread.

Edit: Yep. Albeit it appears its still most just a proof of concept as most games aren't yet playable.

N64 is kinda tricky to emulate due to the architecture of the Vita

so I'm not sure how feasible that would be.

The Vita simply doesn't have the throughput to emulate Dreamcast so that certainly won't happen.

Apparently the Vita has a MIPS cpu as well?

Shaneus

That's interesting. Reminds me a lot of how Sega included the PSG and Z80 on the MD for backward compatibility (of sorts) with the Master System.

Flandy

If I install HENKaku I will be able to download games directly from the PS Store, correct? I currently don't have my PS3 so content manager isn't an option.
Any risk of getting banned if I use the store, sync my trophies, or play online(dont think you can play online, can you?)

If I install HENKaku I will be able to download games directly from the PS Store, correct? I currently don't have my PS3 so content manager isn't an option.
Any risk of getting banned if I use the store, sync my trophies, or play online(dont think you can play online, can you?)

Is transfering from PS3 still workable? I want to grab a couple RE PS1 games.

Korezo

I know that the op faq says there's a way to go online with 3.60, but do I have full online access like if I was on the latest fw? Just bought a Vita again and I want to dl all my digital games and cloud save files. Is that possible?

c0de

Someone posted in here a while ago that Good N64 emulation on the PSP as possible because both systems used a MIPS processor, and the vita didn't.

Both use mips but two different generations of it. N64 has the higher clock and the more advanced architecture. It would work good the other way, though.

RRockman

Banned
I know that the op faq says there's a way to go online with 3.60, but do I have full online access like if I was on the latest fw? Just bought a Vita again and I want to dl all my digital games and cloud save files. Is that possible?
I'd move quickly if I were you. Its still possible right now but I suspect the version spoofer wont work when Sony releases 3.62 or higher

Joey Ravn

Banned
Hey, people who were cheering as someone tried to brick Vitas with a fake pirated game. Guess what happened, as predicted?

We have a reddit feed on our discord. A link was deleted from here by the AutoMod for a Duck Hunt style Vita Homebrew. This game uses string formatting to build the os0 strings and such so doesn't show up in the search within the eboot, so it would not show up as malware. MPT looked at the eboot and said this: "See the os%s 0: that means it'll put those together to make os0: Replacing the %s"
This game was released UNSAFE, so it would have flagged you in Vitashell. You have been informed, please spread the word.
EDIT: From DEV DragonSnake : "so, after looking deeper into DuckHunt, I've found the only difference between the mai bricker and this one is that they hide the string using some string manipulation and also hide the destructive function names
sceHideFuncOne -> vshIoUmount
sceHideFuncTwo -> vshIoMount
sceHideFuncThree -> vshPowerRequestColdReset"
EDIT2: FROM MPT:
UPDATE 6th October 2016: This morning, a new bricker was released, masquerading as a homebrew recreation of Duck Hunt. The eboot was again marked unsafe, and was obscured from the checking mechanisms detailed below. The functions used were given dummy names and the os0: string was built while the program was running rather than being present in the file to begin with. The same basic method was used as the two previous methods but the obfuscation meant that just searching in the file wouldn’t show the issue, and the method that MaiDumpTool uses when installing does not detect it or throw an error upon trying to install an unsafe eboot. Currently all I can suggest is using SafeDump to make the eboots safe, this should remove most of the risk, but I stress again do not install things from unknown/new users, or at least wait for confirmation from more trusted members of the community.

I can't link the source, because it's from that subreddit. But, hey! Fuck those pirates, am I right? Nobody would mess with legit homebrew users! Right?

... all snide aside, beware, guys. Don't install unsafe homebrew apps and don't trust anything but the most reliable sites, after other users have confirmed the app is real.

well that's a bummer. Still don't have much sympathy for people getting their vitas bricked downloading pirates content from random parties, though. Sorry if that upsets you.

Hey, people who were cheering as someone tried to brick Vitas with a fake pirated game. Guess what happened, as predicted?

I can't link the source, because it's from that subreddit. But, hey! Fuck those pirates, am I right? Nobody would mess with legit homebrew users! Right?

... all snide aside, beware, guys. Don't install unsafe homebrew apps and don't trust anything but the most reliable sites, after other users have confirmed the app is real.

WTF why are people downloading Duck Hunt for vita? How is Duck Hunt fun without a light gun?

Korezo

I get my 64gb memory card tomorrow, is there a guide somewhere on the 3.61 spoofer? I have all my games on the ps3 to transfer to my vita. Just need to get online to get my cloud saves.

iosefe

Been having trouble with pcsx rearmed. I select a game, but it doesn't load, and brings up the quick menu, but with nothing to select

Upon trying to run a game again, it crashed

Canklestank

Neo Member
yes it is, i load the cue and i says loaded controller in port #0, but shows nothing but an empty quick menu

Strange. Have you tried it with any other emulator? Perhaps there's a problem with the file. It's not a multi-bin file, is it?

Edit: Or there's a Vita-specific bug with that particular game, which is probably the most obvious conclusion.

Top Bottom