• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HENKaku -- Vita Homebrew and more comes to all 3.60 Vitas

Korezo

I have a 3.60 jpn vita, when I go to henkaku site the web browser instantly crashes. Don't know what else to do to install henkaku.

I have a 3.60 jpn vita, when I go to henkaku site the web browser instantly crashes. Don't know what else to do to install henkaku.

Are you going to it from a fresh boot? Turn the Vita off, then turn it on again. Have no app or game tabs open. You may have to remove any game cartridge you have inserted. Make sure your memory card has free space on it beyond like the minimum 40 MB that triggers the low space warning. Launch the browser and close all other browser tabs you might have open before you trigger the exploit.

Korezo

Are you going to it from a fresh boot? Turn the Vita off, then turn it on again. Have no app or game tabs open. You may have to remove any game cartridge you have inserted. Make sure your memory card has free space on it beyond like the minimum 40 MB that triggers the low space warning. Launch the browser and close all other browser tabs you might have open before you trigger the exploit.

Thanks, I had a game inside but it installed anyway because the vita was frozen on the web page and it kept looping the error until it finally worked.

Bought a cheap secondhand Vita for $30, had Henkaku, Vitamin, the offline thingy, a few homebrew apps (Vita Doom), and Snes9x on it. What popular systems work for emulating on this? What's the best way to increase FPS on SNES emulation?

SURGEdude

Thanks, I had a game inside but it installed anyway because the vita was frozen on the web page and it kept looping the error until it finally worked.

In my experience sometimes it just doesn't want to take without a reboot as others have suggested.

So is the retroarch psx emulator working well? Might try it out tonight with some of my shmups and more obscure titles that haven't been tried.

Joey Ravn

Banned
There is. I am working on new features like right analog support in games, and frangarcj and me are also working on graphics upscaling.

TheFloW doing good work again.

Also, there's some more drama in the scene, since Acid_Snake asked for a Vita or donations to buy one in order to help Coldbird work on the port of ARK for 3.60, but Yifan and others are still mad at him for releasing all those exploits without permission back then. You know, drama.

But the ARK port is being worked on, and it seems that it will have a few nice improvements over the vanilla ePSP :)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
What kind of upscaling are they planning on doing? Anything other than actually running the games at higher resolution seems counter-intuitive since the games already scale perfectly with nearest neighbor scaling.

Running games at native res on Vita would be neat. Wonder how much benefit that would have on PSTV though.

What kind of upscaling are they planning on doing? Anything other than actually running the games at higher resolution seems counter-intuitive since the games already scale perfectly with nearest neighbor scaling.

Running games at native res on Vita would be neat. Wonder how much benefit that would have on PSTV though.

Native Vita games look way better than PSP games do using the official ePSP on PSTV.

I played through Fate/Extra on a PSTV. Each upscaled native PSP resolution 480x272 pixel was literally an inch wide on my 65" 4K TV. It turns out that scaling 480x272 to 3840x2160 has, uh, certain limitations on how good it can look.

Overclocking made Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time totally smooth where the framerate was previously very inconsistent. It is so much more playable now.

I...I think I finally like my Vita. I can't believe this.
(Now I just need a way to fix the load times in Gravity Rush.)

Korezo

Overclocking made Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time totally smooth where the framerate was previously very inconsistent. It is so much more playable now.

How do you overclock?

Shaneus

Depends on if they're doing scaling and filtering or they're actually rendering 3D at higher resolutions.

I just want to play Outrun C2C without slowdown! Actually quite happy if they didn't upscale at all, I still think PSP games look pretty good regardless.

whitehawk

Banned

Yup, I tried it with Sonic Racing Transformed.

Only thing, I can't seem to get my saves to work with the dumped game. I used vita save manager, but maybe I did something wrong. It's making me hold off on dumping more games for the moment.

But i'd like to try these games with OC:

Unit 13 (bad framerate in shootouts)
NFS Most Wanted (bad framerate in general)
Metal Gear 2/3 (Some areas ran at 60fps, some at 30fps)
Uncharted (Not terrible, but could use some speedup)

Wish all games had the option to unlock the framerate, would be cool to see if resogun could run 60fps.

Killzone mercenery might be cool too. There were times the framerate took a hit, or the resolution dynamically dropped. Videos on youtube show that the resolution is more solid.

Also, the Wipeout 2048 HD/Fury DLC. The PS3 levels weren't as optimized and ran worse.
How do you overclock?
You have to dump your game with Vitamin and re-install with Vitashell. then install the Amphetamine? If done correctly, press select when you boot a dumped/decrypted game and you can up the clockrate.

shmoglish

Something causes my vita to shutdown everytime it enters the stand by mode 🤔. The only thing I installed in the last few days is vitamine, but so far I did not use it. Really annoying.

I also have no idea how I make the touchscreen work in psx (retroarch).

T-Rex.

Banned
You have to dump your game with Vitamin and re-install with Vitashell. then install the Amphetamine? If done correctly, press select when you boot a dumped/decrypted game and you can up the clockrate.
Is there any chance of that bricking the Vita or something? Corpse Party ran like shit so I'd be tempted to play that again with Amphetamine, but I'm cautious about using stuff like that.

How do you overclock?
Is there any chance of that bricking the Vita or something? Corpse Party ran like shit so I'd be tempted to play that again with Amphetamine, but I'm cautious about using stuff like that.
I did it slightly differently in that I dumped all my games using the MaiDump tool, but it should work with games installed with either that or Vitamin.
(I got BetterAmphetamine from here.)

I think the worst thing that could happen is that the game wouldn't run any differently and that the battery will drain more. And if it crashed, it wouldn't matter since the settings aren't saved the next time you launch the game.
The solution for that is Gravity Rush Remastered on PS4.
I already knew that would be the answer, haha. I was in denial. :(
Only thing, I can't seem to get my saves to work with the dumped game. I used vita save manager, but maybe I did something wrong. It's making me hold off on dumping more games for the moment.
It definitely should work if they're in the right folders and that the save files match the dump version/region/etc.

I'm curious - how much worse is the battery life with the Amphetamine overclocks? I don't have access to my Vita right now (lending it to someone), but I'm thinking of using it with an Atelier game when I get it back to try to get the framerate to be a bit less garbage.

T-Rex.

Banned
I did it slightly differently in that I dumped all my games using the MaiDump tool, but it should work with games installed with either that or Vitamin.
(I got BetterAmphetamine from here.)
Ok thanks. Perfect time to try out Blood Drive again with Halloween just around the corner.

Caim

Does the retroark.vpk contain all the emulators? Are the other vpks still standalone? Man the archive is starting to become big and there's still no amiga emulator :(

Yeah it should have all the cores in there.

Installing any of the others would just make them a standalone bubble as usual.

I'm curious - how much worse is the battery life with the Amphetamine overclocks? I don't have access to my Vita right now (lending it to someone), but I'm thinking of using it with an Atelier game when I get it back to try to get the framerate to be a bit less garbage.
I've never done a direct comparison and I'm plugged in half the time. But it doesn't seem noticeably worse. Maybe I'm losing an hour there. But it's still worth it.

MrHoot

It's a shame that the Seiken Densetsu 3 menus are completely fucked up in the current emulators, would really want to replay that game but the texts are unreadable

Joey Ravn

Banned
Maybe Yifan Lu decides to release the source code if no one cares enough for some time...

So, it's either care a lot about it or not care at all about it :/

RalchAC

Maybe Yifan Lu decides to release the source code if no one cares enough for some time...

So, it's either care a lot about it or not care at all about it :/

I think he said that if the whole "King of the Hill" challenge didn't go anywhere for a while, he would release the source code anyway. He just wanted to show people how good Sony engineers were at securing the system. He seemed to admire those guys' work quite a bit.

I guess people just has more interest in releasing their own stuff that reverse engineering the hack.

I think he said that if the whole "King of the Hill" challenge didn't go anywhere for a while, he would release the source code anyway. He just wanted to show people how good Sony engineers were at securing the system. He seemed to admire those guys' work quite a bit.

I guess people just has more interest in releasing their own stuff that reverse engineering the hack.

I think really it's just that the additionally functionality that a CFW (or whatever else might be gained by better understanding of henkaku) would offer isn't that important at the moment. interest might increase once other major projects (retroarch, ePSP, dumping/editting/etc. games, custom themes, overclocking plugins, etc. etc.) begin to be limited by the lack of CFW, or reach a point of "good enough" where devs move on to other things.

Korezo

I dumped my UMVC3 game to my vita then deleted it because the savefile doesn't work and the game can't get updated so it got currupted, and now the actual physical game doesn't work when I insert it, the game shows up with the name morphine and gets a error when ever it launches. Anyone have a clue? Also doesn't my cloud savefile and game update work with dumps? I used Vitaman 2.0.

Caim

I dumped my UMVC3 game to my vita then deleted it because the savefile doesn't work and the game can't get updated so it got currupted, and now the actual physical game doesn't work when I insert it, the game shows up with the name morphine and gets a error when ever it launches. Anyone have a clue? Also doesn't my cloud savefile and game update work with dumps? I used Vitaman 2.0.

Also you can dump your save with SaveGameMgr and it should work with the dumped game. I would also try dumping with MaiTool.

EDIT: Sorry about that.

Joey Ravn

Banned

Yeah, but did also say that, if he ever released the source code, it would be a year or so from now. He really wants people with the skills and knowledge to step up and reverse-engineer the exploit by themselves. Making it public is his last resort, so I wouldn't hold my breath for any CFW until then.

I didn't realise this was one of the potential outcomes of HENKaku. Nice.

It could be, it could not. No one knows at the moment. Molecule has been taking a break since release (and it's been weeks since HENkaku was last updated), so they are not actively working on a CFW, at least publicly. As long as they are the only ones to have the source code, nobody will be able to take advantage of any possible CFW implementation (at least not without a lot of reverse engineering that has already been done by HENkaku!).

Unfortunately I'm on mobile right now, but see if this helps:

Also you can dump your save with SaveGameMgr and it should work with the dumped game. I would also try dumping with MaiTool.

Dude, delete that link ASAP. You can't link to that subreddit here!

Looks like the fear of a mad rush to 3.61 was unfounded.

Dragon Quest Builders only requires 3.60. I don't care about that game but anyone who does can now rest easy.

Hopefully Steins;Gate 0 won't be a problem either, as I want to buy that on Vita and not PS4 if possible.

Top Bottom