• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HENKaku -- Vita Homebrew and more comes to all 3.60 Vitas

aitakute

Looks like the fear of a mad rush to 3.61 was unfounded.

Dragon Quest Builders only requires 3.60. I don't care about that game but anyone who does can now rest easy.

Hopefully Steins;Gate 0 won't be a problem either, as I want to buy that on Vita and not PS4 if possible.
Only for now though. I don't care about DQ either but there're games that will come out later and I want to play them

Looks like the fear of a mad rush to 3.61 was unfounded.

Dragon Quest Builders only requires 3.60. I don't care about that game but anyone who does can now rest easy.

Hopefully Steins;Gate 0 won't be a problem either, as I want to buy that on Vita and not PS4 if possible.

Doesn't require 3.61 eh? Now I know what I'm grabbing next week.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Darkest Dungeon is already a bummer.

I don't mean to derail this topic or sound rude, but from what I've heard, it's not much of a loss, really. Not because the game is bad --it isn't-- but because the port seems to be pretty bad. It doesn't have touch controls, the menus are hard to navigate and the text is very small, to the point of being illegible sometimes.

whitehawk

Banned
I'm curious - how much worse is the battery life with the Amphetamine overclocks? I don't have access to my Vita right now (lending it to someone), but I'm thinking of using it with an Atelier game when I get it back to try to get the framerate to be a bit less garbage.
I should point out that if you care about battery life, you can also underclock the vita. Some games may run just fine. I tried putting everything as low as allowed with Sonic Transformed, and while there noticeably more framedrops, it was still more than playable. I'm sure some games out there would run fine at lower clockspeeds.

Joey Ravn

Banned
But will it be done? On the last page, it was said that there was a lack of interest in the scene.

No offense, but I think you should take your time and read about the current state of affairs, because you're mixing everything up and getting confused as a result.

Until very recently, the only way to run unsigned PSP games (including modded games like War of the Lions) was via an ePSP exploit, which were patched by Sony a few firmwares ago. Recently, TheFloW was able to take control of the PSP emulator inside the Vita from within the Vita side of things using HENkaku. He passed the method to Coldbird, who co-developed the ARK PSP emulator back in the day, so he could port ARK to 3.60 using his method. Meanwhile, TheFloW is working on adding analog camera movement with the right stick for games that support it (e.g. GTA LCS). This is happening and is bound to be released sooner or later (probably sooner rather than later).

What has not caught on was the reverse-engineering of the HENkaku source code, mainly because very few people actually have the technical know-how to accomplish it. This is what there isn't much interest for, not for homebrew and the scene in general.

But will it be done? On the last page, it was said that there was a lack of interest in the scene.
You really need to read before you post in this thread.
USB storage? Then again, that might be possible via Henkaku.
I think someone needs to write a driver for this. Don't know if anyone's working on it specifically, as a lot of devs are focusing on the normal vita, rather than the pstv.

Chesskid1

Banned
They have successfully imported the PC script of I am Setsuna to the Vita version and should be releasing it soon after fixing a few glitches.

great news.

pUEMhcY.jpg

Lr7PUI8.jpg

K0q4vOE.jpg

http://gbatemp.net/threads/ikenie-to-yuki-no-setsuna-i-am-setsuna-localization-project.443941/page-2

Lime

They have successfully imported the PC script of I am Setsuna to the Vita version and should be releasing it soon.

great news.

http://i.imgur.com/pUEMhcY.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/K0q4vOE.jpg[MG]

[url]http://gbatemp.net/threads/ikenie-to-yuki-no-setsuna-i-am-setsuna-localization-project.443941/page-2[/url][/QUOTE]

holy shit that's pretty great news

NeOak

Are you telling me I bought a Playstation TV for nothing?

No one forced you to buy one. Homebrew releases are when the developers feel like it.

You say it as if they owe you something.

If you want it done fast, then work on it. Otherwise be patient.

No one forced you to buy one. Homebrew releases are when the developers feel like it.

You say it as if they owe you something.

If you want it done fast, then work on it. Otherwise be patient.
More and more I understand the "if you want something done, do it yourself" mantra that's so pervasive on homebrew forums.

NeOak

More and more I understand the "if you want something done, do it yourself" mantra that's so pervasive on homebrew forums.

Entitlement. The people working on homebrew do it in their spare time. They are coding stuff for the rest while the whiners in the forums keep watching TV or playing games.

Entitlement. The people working on homebrew do it in their spare time. They are coding stuff for the rest while the whiners in the forums keep watching TV or playing games.

Yup. And on top of that, frequently people only post feedback (or anything that could even possibly help the devs) once it breaks. And at that point there's very little helpful information in the comment. Frustrating for all involved, I'm sure.

Chesskid1

Banned
i'll probably link my main PSN to my henkaku vita in the next few months, since things are calming down and it seems like sony doesn't care to ban.

sorry, i really like trophies and it'll be a bummer playing them without trophies.

brb checking prices of i am setsuna

Joey Ravn

Banned
They have successfully imported the PC script of I am Setsuna to the Vita version and should be releasing it soon after fixing a few glitches.

great news.

Holy crap, that's amazing! Handhelds are my favorite platforms for RPGs, so this is a very welcome addition.

Makes you wonder why there was no Vita release, since it was basically a free extra platform to sell the game on. The translation had already been done and, if homebrew devs can do it, so can professional devs who have the freaking source code to the whole thing.

There we go i have no idea how i wasn't getting that on my searches.

One more question. In order to use Betteramphetamin, i have to use a dumped game right? So i have to dump my cart of Ys to get the fps bump?
Correct. I would recommend using MaiDumpTool (over Vitamin) to dump your cart.

Oh wow. Is buying it in a sale and then play the vita "port" fair 🤔

Morally and ethically I don't any issues with buying the PS4 version to support the Vita version but the specific laws governing such actions will vary from one country to another, if such specific laws even exist.

Of course in the United States it's specifically illegal to circumvent copy protection of any kind in any form, so the simple act of installing Henkaku and bypassing the Vita's native encryption is itself an illegal act thanks to the DMCA.

If the TPP is signed it will extend the provisions of the DMCA throughout the Pacific Rim, so please look forward to our new corporate overlords.

What has not caught on was the reverse-engineering of the HENkaku source code, mainly because very few people actually have the technical know-how to accomplish it. This is what there isn't much interest for, not for homebrew and the scene in general.

Ah, cool, that's a relief.

jrcbandit

For overclocking digital games already on my memory card, do I still need to dump them or is that only with cartridges? I still haven't gotten around to playing Tales of Heart R or Ys Memories of Celcetta which I bought off the PSN store, no idea if they really need overclocking?

For overclocking digital games already on my memory card, do I still need to dump them or is that only with cartridges? I still haven't gotten around to playing Tales of Heart R or Ys Memories of Celcetta which I bought off the PSN store, no idea if they really need overclocking?
In my experience, neither digital games nor cart games are overclockable or affected by installed plugins; they need to be dumped/extracted first.

t26

i'll probably link my main PSN to my henkaku vita in the next few months, since things are calming down and it seems like sony doesn't care to ban.

sorry, i really like trophies and it'll be a bummer playing them without trophies.

brb checking prices of i am setsuna

It is only 2.5 months since we sawVita piracy, and we know Sony band in wave. People have lost their PS3 account over this.

Vlaphor

I feel kinda torn. I have a new Vita game coming in tomorrow, and it needs a day one patch to fix issues. I'm on 3.60 and haven't installed Henkaku yet...but I might want to. Is there a way to install Henkaku and download updates for games, especially new ones?

I feel kinda torn. I have a new Vita game coming in tomorrow, and it needs a day one patch to fix issues. I'm on 3.60 and haven't installed Henkaku yet...but I might want to. Is there a way to install Henkaku and download updates for games, especially new ones?

The current version of Henkaku lets you access the PSN store so that you can download the updates. It shouldn't cause any bans or anything.

SURGEdude

God damn I wish I was a fan of JP only releases. I'm that wierdo who bought the Vita and PSTV for western releases.

Between the whitelist and ePSP I'm fucking stoked though.

Vita titles look quite amazing with a decent upscaler at 1080 extrapolated 1440.

VNZ

Updating physical games don't even need a PSN account to be signed in so that shouldn't be a problem.

MrHoot

Maaaan there are some stuff I really wanna play on 3.61. Do I lose all my emulators if I update ? Or just access to the molecularshell ?

Joey Ravn

Banned
Maaaan there are some stuff I really wanna play on 3.61. Do I lose all my emulators if I update ? Or just access to the molecularshell ?

What, exactly? Because there's not been much that requires 3.61.

As for your question, yes. You lose everything.

Top Bottom