• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HENKaku -- Vita Homebrew and more comes to all 3.60 Vitas

I'm curious: what's the actual difference between ARK and TN-V? I'm on the latter with my 3.36 Vita, and quite happy with how it works as far as playing PSP images (and utilising the existing PSP XMB). It also runs my PS1 (purchased from PSN) games fine too. What does ARK do better/differently?

If I upgrade to 3.60 and ARK is available, would I have to re-transfer all my existing stuff back to the Vita, or will it still be visible?

They are different CFWs, ARK has limited PSX support IIRC (no sound), not sure of it's pros (probably mainly that its still being updated whereas TN-V is dead).

It'll depend on what method ARK uses to get around the security for installing new titles, if it uses/supports the same method as 3.36 TN-V you should be fine otherwise you won't. We just won't know until its released.

RalchAC

Sooo... I have a PS1 Digimon World 2003 copy, and a save on my PS3 where I have spent over 30 hours of my life. Do you guys know if there is any possibility of dumping both my game and get that save from my PS3?

That game is really, really long and I don't want to start a new game lol.

Sooo... I have a PS1 Digimon World 2003 copy, and a save on my PS3 where I have spent over 30 hours of my life. Do you guys know if there is any possibility of dumping both my game and get that save from my PS3?

That game is really, really long and I don't want to start a new game lol.

Try this:
http://togami.com/~warren/guides/ps3-psone-saved-game-to-pc-howto/

If you want to transfer the save to PSP / PSVita that's also possible but a little different, if that's what you're looking for let me know.

RalchAC

That's exactly what I wanted! Thanks a lot!

Yeah, the idea is transferring both the save and the game to my Henkaku PSVita. I played the game mostly using PS1 Remote Play, but I would love to be able to not be limited by its range.

Check post #5 in this thread: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/620272-playstation-vita/63915708 for PS3 to Vita. It's just a matter of connecting the Vita and transferring the virtual card over (it's the same method for the PSP).

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
So I've started playing a physical copy of Ys: Memories of Celceta I've had for a while, and the framerate is seriously choppy... Is there a patch to improve that, and if so, is there a way for me to install it while staying on 3.60? (I don't have Henkaku installed yet btw.)

So I've started playing a physical copy of Ys: Memories of Celceta I've had for a while, and the framerate is seriously choppy... Is there a patch to improve that, and if so, is there a way for me to install it while staying on 3.60? (I don't have Henkaku installed yet btw.)

If you are on 3.60 you can install HENkaku then dump your game and use anfhetamin for GPU overclock
but I can't guarantee that you'll play better

RalchAC

If you are on 3.60 you can install HENkaku then dump your game and use anfhetamin for GPU overclock

I think I saw a excel where people in r/vitahacks shared their experience with Anfetamin.

I don't have the link right now though.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member

I meant an official patch from the dev that would improve framerate (as my cartridge is likely version 1.0), but overclocking might be an option too. Thanks for the tip!

Producer

I tried dumping my copy but got an error. Though this was on vitamin 1.0 so the newer version/Mai might work.

jackal27

Banned
So do Retroarch emulators not really support SRAM saves?

That's dumb if true. It seems the best I can get is to have it check for SRAM every 10 seconds which sucks.

TheContact

I put the ps1 emulator on and was sooo happy to get star ocean second story and tales of eternia on here. It's amazing it runs at full speed and the snes/gba emulators don't yet =O
But one thing that I noticed, it doesn't save games with the memory card. It shows that it saves, but when you close the emulator and go back into it, the save is gone. Have to use the retroarch save states to pick up from where you left off.

Is there a PSP emulator? would love to play crisis core on my vita instead of my psp

jackal27

Banned
I put the ps1 emulator on and was sooo happy to get star ocean second story and tales of eternia on here. It's amazing it runs at full speed and the snes/gba emulators don't yet =O
But one thing that I noticed, it doesn't save games with the memory card. It shows that it saves, but when you close the emulator and go back into it, the save is gone. Have to use the retroarch save states to pick up from where you left off.

Is there a PSP emulator? would love to play crisis core on my vita instead of my psp

Yeah this is exactly what I was talking about. Is there an issue with SRAM saves?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

The official emulator is basically opened up. Ark is being ported to the exploit so we should be able to use it before long.

swit

Save is created when you exit the emulator via options. You can't just close it via Vita home button - in such case save is lost.

ss_lemonade

Yeah this is exactly what I was talking about. Is there an issue with SRAM saves?
Afaik retroarch by default will only write sram saves when you properly exit the application (as in closing it from inside retroarch, and not closing the app from the vita OS by sliding). It's always worked that way with retroarch.

Other retroarch ports have a config setting though to automatically write sram updates in intervals of a few seconds. Don't know if that option exists in the vita port.

L.O.R.D

oh boy,this gonna be gud...

apparently,someone uploaded malicious vpk as games (Fruit Ninja and kung fu rabbit) to reddit,and some people downloaded it.

Those unfortunate pirates who downloaded said Vpks and installed them have been had meaning that their Ps Vitas have been BRICKED PERMENANTLY!.

So be EXTRA Cautious when it comes to using backups guys!

Here is a explanation of what happened in more detail:

"Technical explanation from /u/tuxdude143;

I have been analysing the vpks along with a friend and we have found that both of them make calls to OS0. The particular cause for concern is how they call for OS0 to be mounted along with OS0:KD and VS0. Now once those are mounted it basically just wipes them clean. The consequence is the vita had no operating system to boot at all, nor does it even have any drivers to interface with any of the components (which are contained in OS0:KD. Basically the result is an UNRECOVERABLE BRICK which leaves the nand completely wiped and unbootable.

Consider it the first ever serious vita virus"

"Been analysing this with a friend and from what we have found out it seems the mai.suprx mounts some rather odd things, namely vs0 and os0 before nuking vs0, os0 and most destructively, os0:KD aka the driver directory"

The user who uploaded said .vpks definately did so with malicious intent so id be extra weary when installing .vpks

http://gbatemp.net/threads/warning-...our-vita-are-surfacing-online-warning.443714/

i am not worrying about this,but i am worrying about homebrews vpk that cause a brick.

MUnited83

For you.
Sony ninjas at work I see! :p

In all seriousness though, that's bad. Double check the sources you are downloading from when downloading homebrew because I doubt the person that is doing this will limit himself to pirated backups only.

on the upside, it seems all the malicious downloads are on the piracy end of the spectrum, so not a huge issue for legitimate users.

L.O.R.D

on the upside, it seems all the malicious downloads are on the piracy end of the spectrum, so not a huge issue for legitimate users.
Yah,most homebrew has open source code so we can be sure it won't do any damage to the system.
But some homebrew are not.

jrcbandit

? But it can be done on any VPK which means any homebrew game or emulator you download could be at risk. The only truly safe thing is to rip your own cartridge based games to the memory card.

BigEmil

oh boy,this gonna be gud...

apparently,someone uploaded malicious vpk as games (Fruit Ninja and kung fu rabbit) to reddit,and some people downloaded it.

http://gbatemp.net/threads/warning-...our-vita-are-surfacing-online-warning.443714/

i am not worrying about this,but i am worrying about homebrews vpk that cause a brick.
Lol this is great hope this is done more on the games and less on homebrew, you don't need to download games simply dump your own games if you need simple as

Chesskid1

Banned
Lol this is great hope this is done more on the games and less on homebrew, you don't need to download games simply dump your own games if you need simple as

you can literally just rename the malicious vpk to n64emulator.vpk

imagine someone hijacks vitashell's auto-update url and puts a malicious vpk there instead

is maidump open source? imagine chinese hackers copying your act.dat or whatever holds your account information and uploads it to their server in the background, then when they have ~5,000 accounts they hijack them all at once.

pretty scary.

? But it can be done on any VPK which means any homebrew game or emulator you download could be at risk. The only truly safe thing is to rip your own cartridge based games to the memory card.

yeah, but has there been an incident of this that wasn't a pirated game? I certainly can't think of one.

Joey Ravn

Banned

yeah, but has there been an incident of this that wasn't a pirated game? I certainly can't think of one.

There's always a first time for everything. No one should be celebrating this as some sort of weird victory when it literally takes three seconds to rename any VPK to make it look like a homebrew app.

RalchAC

There's always a first time for everything. No one should be celebrating this as some sort of weird victory when it literally takes three seconds to rename any VPK to make it look like a homebrew app.

Yeah. Now everybody needs to be careful and avoid third party links like the ones in Reddit.

This is a loss for everyone. Being a pirate doesn't matter. Emulator or homebrew app users could be the next victims.

I don't really understand why some people here hate pirates so much. Honestly. Live and let live. You may not agree with them, or what they do, but there is no reason to celebrate this or throw some accusations to other gaffers like some users have done in this thread.

Shaneus

I don't really understand why some people here hate pirates so much. Honestly. Live and let live. You may not agree with them, or what they do, but there is no reason to celebrate this or throw some accusations to other gaffers like some users have done in this thread.
Holier-than-thou syndrome.

Though you do have to wonder why someone would want to pirate a game like Jetpack Joyride.

Tohsaka

Though you do have to wonder why someone would want to pirate a game like Jetpack Joyride.

Some people just refuse to pay for any games. When I still went to /v/ I saw plenty of people say they never bought a Vita because you couldn't pirate games on it.

Young Magus

Holy Shit YS VIII is grrrrreat with the overclock plugin :D! Framerate is smooth.
-----
Does the update/dlc dumper only work with digital games? I got carts only that I ripped with vita and maidumper
-----
How do I account switch? Is it a drag?
-----
Does anyone know how to complie psxtract? Is a program that reverts PSP eboots to ISO (so I can use retroarch for the crash games on PSN)

Does anyone know how to complie psxtract? Is a program that reverts PSP eboots to ISO (so I can use retroarch for the crash games on PSN)

PSX2PSP does this as well, in case you can't find a way to compile it.

so the gpu overclocking is still ripped games only, right?

Seems to be, yeah. I wouldn't expect it to be on non-ripped games until we get a more permanent CFW solution. Hopefully we do - I don't really like the process of ripping a digital game to just put it back on, taking up a lot of space and time in the process.

Seems to be, yeah. I wouldn't expect it to be on non-ripped games until we get a more permanent CFW solution. Hopefully we do - I don't really like the process of ripping a digital game to just put it back on, taking up a lot of space and time in the process.

This is very unlikely, as the current exploit simply bypasses the Vita's encryption and user permissions. It doesn't actually have any ability to access the Vita when it's operating in the normal protected mode which is why you can't overclock a non-decrypted game. After a certain firmware revision, it became impossible for there to be a permanent CFW for the original PSP 1000 either, and all subsequent PSP revisions never had a permanent CFW at all.

This is very unlikely, as the current exploit simply bypasses the Vita's encryption and user permissions. It doesn't actually have any ability to access the Vita when it's operating in the normal protected mode which is why you can't overclock a non-decrypted game. After a certain firmware revision, it became impossible for there to be a permanent CFW for the original PSP 1000 either, and all subsequent PSP revisions never had a permanent CFW at all.

I think you're a little confused it was the PSP2000 after a certain hardware revision (and corresponding firmware). The 1000 was always bypassable with a service battery. Even then after the PSP signing keys were found it was merely a matter of running a single program for them , the 3000 and the Go. Some of them had "permanent" CFWs by another method as well (hijacking early in the boot process, but it required updating with major firmware changes).

Joey Ravn

Banned

Uh. Davee's Infinity CFW can be installed permanently on any PSP 1000, 2000, most 3000s and all PSP GOs. The number of PSP models that can't use a permanent CFW is very small compared to those that can :/

I'd say the chances of a disgruntled pirate looking for revenge would be pretty high. This is very dangerous for the homebrew scene.

test_account

XP-39C²

It could be, but it doesnt necessary have to be the reason. If someone wants to increase the attack range, its important to make something thats attractive, and that is piracy. I remember a specific case were i felt for this, i downloaded a britney_spears_naked.mpg file almost 20 years ago and instead it was a video of an asian woman who drank her own puke lol :\

Overall i dont think this will be a big problem. Its an imporant lesson in security, to never download from unknown sources unless you want to take a chance.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I'm starting to think that many games were made with full power of vita in mind, maybe dev units aren't underclocked?

I think you're a little confused it was the PSP2000 after a certain hardware revision (and corresponding firmware). The 1000 was always bypassable with a service battery. Even then after the PSP signing keys were found it was merely a matter of running a single program for them , the 3000 and the Go. Some of them had "permanent" CFWs by another method as well (hijacking early in the boot process, but it required updating with major firmware changes).

Uh. Davee's Infinity CFW can be installed permanently on any PSP 1000, 2000, most 3000s and all PSP GOs. The number of PSP models that can't use a permanent CFW is very small compared to those that can :/

Ah, thanks for the corrections.

I had no idea there was now a permanent CFW for my old PSP 2000. I admit that I have not touched it in years after I got my Vita.

animax

I'd say the chances of a disgruntled pirate looking for revenge would be pretty high. This is very dangerous for the homebrew scene.

Doesn't henkaku/vitamin have a check for "safe" homebrew? As long as you only install homebrew that isn't flagged as unsafe it should be ok

Top Bottom