• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of Newerth |OT| Free-To-Play [PC /Mac /Linux]

Swag

PillowKnight said:
Those legs do look suspicious. There's a huge difference in art style though.
If it didn't have the leg details there would be no question that its an original concept, but those legs
KuGsj.gif

Phandy

Sebulon3k said:
If it didn't have the leg details there would be no question that its an original concept, but those legs
KuGsj.gif

Yeh without the swirls and curves in the fur, you might be able to say it was maybe coincidental. But he/she very very clearly took direct influence from Okami and didnt think enough about differentiating this from the original Okami design.

Just seems lazy.
Or on purpose; nowadays people will always replicate what is good and popular on that premise alone. Ie. Having an Okami like character is perhaps an incentive for some people to play the hero and enjoy it. Because they like Okami a lot.

delirium

Phandy said:
Yeh without the swirls and curves in the fur, you might be able to say it was maybe coincidental. But he/she very very clearly took direct influence from Okami and didnt think enough about differentiating this from the original Okami design.

Just seems lazy.
Or on purpose; nowadays people will always replicate what is good and popular on that premise alone. Ie. Having an Okami like character is perhaps an incentive for some people to play the hero and enjoy it. Because they like Okami a lot.
Yeah, those legs furs look exactly like Amaterasu's.

kagete

I don't think it's lazy, but done on purpose. Hon avatars have always been a mix of tongueincheek or slight tweaks or even blatant ripoffs of common fantasy tropes or existing dota heroes. Let's not pretend like they have stuck to their original savage lore and have a consistent unified artstyle when chtulhuphant, spacemarine behemoth/midas, and vacationdampeer exists already.

If they would do a wolf i'd prefer something along the lines of:
bildungsromantic_by_GunnerRomantic.jpg

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Sebulon3k said:
Should've made the hero look like this, and no one would've complained

To be fair though, isn't Amaterasu a part of Japanese Shinto religion? Maybe their just basing it off the same person, with very similar look.

I can't see anyone seeing that image and not thinking they copied Okami though.

Same Circular type details on the fur, are a dead giveaway where it's inspired from.

Fucking weeaboos.

kagete

Ugh it's a really bad picture of hers though. Maybe you should use Sooyoung's artificially sharpened nose as an avatar.

Swag

kagete said:
Ugh it's a really bad picture of hers though. Maybe you should use Sooyoung's artificially sharpened nose as an avatar.
I like the picture, hence the avatar, I just had to super crop it so it didn't look Small.

Also, no.

Sanjay

Archie said:
Pros
Large number of heroes

Cons
Too many heroes to choose from

"Lack of maps" and then right after that was "too many heroes" lol.

Also "Casual-friendly features lacking"? when people start playing Dota 2 going to be intestersting.

And why did it take them nearly a year and a half to review HoN.

Squire Felix said:
Anyone else notice the Andro has two staff of masters in their screen shot?

What do you mean, they don't stack? You can't keep swapping every 5 seconds?

delirium

Lyphen said:
Wait, you start at level 3 in casual mode?

Also, TF2 launched with six maps, Mr. MMORPG.com
No, but the experience require to hit early levels are much lower. It basically removes a good portion of the laning phase.

Swag

delirium

I don't think S2 should waste their resources developing bots. They're never good and barely anyone uses it. The good argument for it is maybe teaching new players but there are much better methods to use (maybe a co-op mode ala DoW2's Last Stand).

Swag

I sort of feel like we swindled though, I even watch that part of the stream, just copied one of the guys that spoke up first
KuGsj.gif

Ah well, alls well that ends well.

Now I just gotta find a way to get that Sachi Swiftblade / Walking FA skin.

Swag

Anbokr said:
That swiftblade skin is so good; how the hell did you guys get it for free?
We won a contest on Idejder stream, had to answer a question and be the 5th / 10th person to reply, me and Pup were 5th / 10th respectively.

Was only out of 135 people though.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Sebulon3k said:
We won a contest on Idejder stream, had to answer a question and be the 5th / 10th person to reply, me and Pup were 5th / 10th respectively.

I'm so jealous. And yeah, they really need to bring back that FA skin; it's such a huge upgrade over the original.

IceMarker

Happy HoNted Halloween! Patch up!

Version 2.2.4

The current Free Heroes have changed. The current available list is:
Swiftblade
Soulstealer
Predator
Wildsoul
Moon Queen
Kraken
Electrician
Moraxus
Thunderbringer
Tempest
Succubus
Slither
Rhapsody
Voodoo Jester

Glacius

Newerth has been haunted...

The same rune can no longer spawn twice in a row!
Fixed items being delivered from the courier backwards
Fixed up some voices and sounds to not be as loud or jarring

Wards - Revelation Wards: Starts off 0 of 6 in the shop with a 90 second cooldown - Wards of Sight: Starts off 2 of 4 with a cooldown of 2 mins 30 seconds

== Heroes ==

Added a new Alt Avatar: Ronin Swiftblade
Gladius Beardicus has some new effects added

Andromeda - Starting base damage from 38-52 to 40-50

Balphagore - Regurgitate given a linger time of 0.5 seconds on the damage portion (the slow part already had it) - Lowered damage on Regurgitate from 40/65/90/115 to 30/55/80/105 (the total amount of damage becomes roughly the same total damage because of the linger) - Demonic Pathogen manacost from 115/125/135/145 to 105/110/115/120 - Corpse Conversation requires 3/6/9/12 corpses now where 3 gives you 2 minions

Defiler - Damage range from 39-51 to 41-49

Glacius - Double-Activating Ice Imprisonment will cast on yourself now - Increased radius on each instance of Glacial Downpour from 190 to 350 - Decreased damage from 105/170/250 to 60/100/140 (scepter from 170/250/310 to 100/140/180) * Basically gives the ultimate less RNG

Madman - Berserk is no longer purgable or transferable

Moraxus - More Axes mana cost from 30 to 25 - Matraxe hp gain from 20 to 20/25/30

Ophelia - Ophelia’s Judgment teleport from 5.7/4.7/3.7/2.7 to 6/5/4/3 - Command movespeed buff from 0/15/30/45 to 0/10/20/30

PuppetMaster - Starting base damage from 39-53 to 41-51 - Whiplash no longer gives passive base damage increase - Fixed Voodoo Puppet to only do bonus damage to the target (It was also doing bonus damage to the puppet) - Voodoo Puppet no longer has magic armor

Warbeast - Summon Hellhounds damage increased from 18/29/37/46 to 20/29/38/47 - Summon Hellhounds armor increased from 0 to 2

== Bugfixes ==

Night Hound's stealth is no longer scripted badly
Drunken Master Lunge and Kraken Torrent now check for being stunned in a more efficient way

Barbed Armor - Made its activation not break channeling

Dust of Revelation - Set frontqueue, inheritmovement and noninterrupting to true * This means you will no longer 'hitch' or pause when using it

Mock of Brilliance - Made the toggle not break channeling

Andromeda - Fixed Aurora hitting a bit behind her

Arachna - Fixed Spiderling so it dies properly when the target that it's supposed to hit gets deleted

Blood Hunter - Fixed a bug where attacks/spells/items targeting yourself and/or allied heroes will put the Feast state on them

Bubbles - Fixed Bubbles' Shell Surf hitting units behind him - Optimized his Kelp Field's scripting in the distance check - Fixed small typo in his Song of the Sea

Forsaken Archer -Fixed interactions with Magebane's Mana Rift

Hammerstorm - Fixed a bug where Hammerstorm's projectile stunned at the target's new position if they disjointed on the same frame that the projectile impacts

Midas - Fixed Lion's Pride effects playing through fog

Monarch - Fixed an effect playing through fog

Monkey King - Fixed his Illusive Dash's state expiration so it won't displace Monkey King with the second dash if Monkey King is invulnerable at the time the state expires

Revenant - Fixed Defile so it doesn't consume any charges if you hit a building

Silhouette - Fixed a super-rare bug where she and her illusion got double the Death Lotus kunai if she respawned on the same frame the skill went off cooldown

Guesong

PillowKnight said:
Could be to make 2-1-2 viable in comp games. The pull just gives bot/top lane too much of an advantage.

...so now they just made it pretty much uncounterable?

And there's pumpkins near the shop and a ghost swirling around the fountain. The Imps are now mummified as well.

kagete

Ah so warding their pull will block it for at least the first pull because the first rev ward won't be available until a minute into the game. I guess this is really just for the competitive scene that focuses on a try lane that autobuys a counterward from the start to ensure they can pull and jungle effectively from the start. It is... arguably OK. Typical TMM games don't feature rev wards being bought at level 1 anyway, so most players won't even feel the effect. By the time they'd think about getting a rev ward, the cooldown would have came and went many times over.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's basically like matchmaking except we have our own ratings system and teams are drafted instead of randomized. Balancing is ad-hoc, since we don't have enough data to balance by numbers. Although, one of the reasons we're doing this in the first place is as an experiment to see what works/what doesn't and data for future IHL games in HoN or DOTA2.

Top Bottom