• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of Newerth |OT| Free-To-Play [PC /Mac /Linux]

kagete

bzm said:
hey i can play support too =[

Why don't we start picking players for teams later? There only ever needs to be 2 teams anyway so there's no use trying to stretch it to 3 or 4 teams because the likelihood of all 5 in any 2 teams of a diluted league being online will be pretty thin. You pretty much just have to pick a team, and you're not committed to always be online. You just play for your team whenever there's enough for a GAF IH, and if necessary, a player goes to the other team to play for just a game.

Meeru

Banned
Pretty much like dota league..back in the dota days usually the way it works is a host person starts a game in the bnet channel and any player that wants toplay types in to join that game. There is captains mode where bot will pick the two highest ranked playera and they would pick their team players. Other modes aren't necessary since hon has them already.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Meeru said:
Pretty much like dota league..back in the dota days usually the way it works is a host person starts a game in the bnet channel and any player that wants toplay types in to join that game. There is captains mode where bot will pick the two highest ranked playera and they would pick their team players. Other modes aren't necessary since hon has them already.

I think team captains would be good (harkening back to my elementary school dodgeball/basketball games); where it would work like bd--first guy picks 1, next picks 2 (unless it's meeru of course, then it should be team captain 1 picks 3, meeru picks 1 lol). At the same time though, it might add to the drama if some1 feels bad for getting picked last or if we have like 11 online and 1 person gets left out.

Sanjay

kagete said:
Why don't we start picking players for teams later? There only ever needs to be 2 teams anyway so there's no use trying to stretch it to 3 or 4 teams because the likelihood of all 5 in any 2 teams of a diluted league being online will be pretty thin. You pretty much just have to pick a team, and you're not committed to always be online. You just play for your team whenever there's enough for a GAF IH, and if necessary, a player goes to the other team to play for just a game.

Team Legion vs Team Hellbourne!

Put me on Team Hellbourne, so easy to pull :(

kagete

Anbokr said:
I think team captains would be good (harkening back to my elementary school dodgeball/basketball games); where it would work like bd--first guy picks 1, next picks 2 (unless it's meeru of course, then it should be team captain 1 picks 3, meeru picks 1 lol). At the same time though, it might add to the drama if some1 feels bad for getting picked last or if we have like 11 online and 1 person gets left out.

That makes it no different from our existing IH public games then. Unless you mean that picking only happening once at the start to decide the teams. Each team should have at least 7, preferably 8 members listed. That's the only way to consistently have enough people to play. And if one person is left out, let them handle it like adults. It's hard to motivate people to stick to the format if there's no incentive though. We used to bet $5 to $10 per game back then on DOTA, CS 1.6, and basketball, which gave us incentive to play well and also keep teams balanced.

Maybe we can gift steam games or goblin coins to the winner after a season? Something like that, minor but nice to have. I can pledge some lunch money for that kinda thing

kagete

delirium said:
I have a CD key for a Steam game (RUSE) I can give away. It's not much but its something.

In that spirit, imagine giving DOTA2 keys to the winner several months from now. That would be somewhat tragic or ironic, depending how you lean

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Meeru said:
You would pretty much always have to be captain then, or else you'd always be first pick.

kagete

delirium said:
FIFY. It's Valve we're talking about.

I get the feeling that it's closer than we think... although the thought of DOTA2 suceeding actually scares me. If Valve gets 10 million people to install Steam (or create Steam IDs) just for DOTA2 does that count as some sort of monopoly already? I still remember that Icefrog post from 3 or so years ago that mentioned that getdota.com recorded 8 million unique downloads ON THE FIRST DAY A NEW MAP VERSION WAS RELEASED. Imagine even having half of that play DOTA2 in its first year?

delirium

kagete said:
I get the feeling that it's closer than we think... although the thought of DOTA2 suceeding actually scares me. If Valve gets 10 million people to install Steam (or create Steam IDs) just for DOTA2 does that count as some sort of monopoly already? I still remember that Icefrog post from 3 or so years ago that mentioned that getdota.com recorded 8 million unique downloads ON THE FIRST DAY A NEW MAP VERSION WAS RELEASED. Imagine even having half of that play DOTA2 in its first year?
Most of that I think is China and the SEA countries. Unless the game is free, I doubt the majority will play it.

bzm

Halycon said:
You would pretty much always have to be captain then, or else you'd always be first pick.
Not necessarily, in the hypothetical situation that i was a captain, i'd put some thought into fp'ing delirium. Just try to out ward us, kidz

kagete said:
How are you guys doing the IH? I'm a fan of persistent teams since this is how my old basketball pickup group used to run for around 4 years straight. Basically only 2 teams exist (since GAF tops out at 10-11 available at any one time) and each team is composed of 5-8 GAF players with no ringers allowed unless the other team (all 5) agrees. Each team of 5 to 8 will have to be balanced as realistically even/fair as possible such that in an ideal season, each team will win 50% of all games.

Each team picks a name and their W-L record is tracked publicly on the thread. Additionally, either someone volunteers or each GAF player is responsible for tracking his individual W-L record. This is needed because one team might have 6 players online while the other only has 4. In cases like these, all players have to agree on who gets to play on the opposite team for that game, and in the spirit of keeping it competitive, if the team of 4 already has a rice-carry like Meeru they're not going to be gifted bzm just because the opposite team can't run 6 people. The point is to make each game as competitive as possible.

If after several games, it becomes clear that one team's makeup is always dominating the other, a swap of player(s) may be initiated and agreed upon by a majority vote. Games don't have to be planned, due to member availability, which is why we're fielding more than 5 for each team. Also it would be wise to find out when Meeru needs to work if you're the opposing team :3.

Thoughts on this? I play with so many different groups of people online that I rarely play with GAF but if we had this sort of structure I would definitely make this my priority. Having rounds of 5-10 games each or a placement-type first 3 matches might be a good idea to help balance the teams but its really fun if you play like this for several weeks and the stats start building up and you get to find out who contributes the most to his team's wins. This also gives a good incentive for a team to try TMM for practicing when the other team doesn't have enough online to play.
I like this method, it'll be just like any other game if we're only picking people at random.

If we go with this method, the 15 or so people who signed up is just enough for two teams. We should pick captains and have them take turns picking people off the roster.

Chip in for a stats reset for the winner.
One winner? hehe.

Haly

bzm said:
Not necessarily, in the hypothetical situation that i was a captain, i'd put some thought into fp'ing delirium. Just try to out ward us, kidz
Pfft, when I get serious about my wards they never stockpile past 1 after 8 minutes in.

kagete

We can do awards for :

most games played
most contributed wins
most kills (lol meeru)
most deaths (lol
madeyoulook
most assists
most wards? or a best supporting hero award

bzm

Halycon said:
Pfft, when I get serious about my wards they never stockpile past 1 after 8 minutes in.
youre not taking counter warding into consideration

Edit: @anbokr: i think we need a "most improved soulstealer" category

Haly

bzm said:

I don't know how to counterward :(

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
bzm said:

Na we need a "best godlike soulstealer category." By default, I think everyone agrees that's definitely me.

Halycon said:
I don't know how to counterward :(

Pretend to be playing on other team, proceed to place counterward instead of ward where you would normally ward....?

Nothing much to it. Plus, you get a refund on money if you find a ward and kill it.

EDIT: OKAY NOT A REFUND, you get 50g which is half the cost of the reveal ward.

Haly

Wait do you mean actual refund or just like the cost of one rev ward is worth the cost of one sight ward?

Halycon said:
Wait do you mean actual refund or just like the cost of one rev ward is worth the cost of one sight ward?

When you destroy an enemy's ward of sight, it gives you money 50 gold back. Refund isn't the right word, but getting back half the cost of the revelation ward is more than enough reason to do it. Plus, you get reveal for that high traffic area.

Goon Boon

Banned
4nSSB.jpg

They un-greenshitted the image.

bzm

narcosis219 said:
Pretend to be playing on other team, proceed to place counterward instead of ward where you would normally ward....?

Nothing much to it. Plus, you get a refund on money if you find a ward and kill it.

EDIT: OKAY NOT A REFUND, you get 50g which is half the cost of the reveal ward.
There's a lot more to it than that. You've got to have good map awareness to counterward, and there are some mindgames going down between warders. It's actually pretty meta

Haly

I called it.
narcosis219 said:
When you destroy an enemy's ward of sight, it gives you money 50 gold back. Refund isn't the right word, but getting back half the cost of the revelation ward is more than enough reason to do it. Plus, you get reveal for that high traffic area.
Ah okay.

Madouu

Hello,

Long time lurker and I just got my account verified, at last, so I thought I'd post here my first ever message. Never played Dota but have been playing HoN since beta, and I have to say that I love the game !

Once you have some friends to play with, the community doesn't become a problem anymore. And getting better at the game is pretty rewarding. It also makes the game even more fun, once you grasp its subtleties.

I guess I'll be around in the Gaf channel if anyone wants to play. I remember losing a game to a gaf team a while ago so maybe I can win one with you guys this time haha

edit : I should also add that my second account ingame is Gesicht`

Meeru

Banned
Madouu said:
Hello,

Long time lurker and I just got my account verified, at last, so I thought I'd post here my first ever message. Never played Dota but have been playing HoN since beta, and I have to say that I love the game !

Once you have some friends to play with, the community doesn't become a problem anymore. And getting better at the game is pretty rewarding. It also makes the game even more fun, once you grasp its subtleties.

I guess I'll be around in the Gaf channel if anyone wants to play. I remember losing a game to a gaf team a while ago so maybe I can win one with you guys this time haha

edit : I should also add that my second account ingame is Gesicht`
Your name sounds familiar. You've been in gaf channel before?

Madouu

Yup I had joined the gaf channel a long while ago and now that I remember, I think I even played a game with some of you guys. But without the gaf clan tag, and not being able to post here, I had to explain every time I was a lurker haha so I just forgot about it until now.

I wanna play with some gaffers but i have a kdr of like 0.67 due to dicking around and in general sucking =(. I'll drop into the gaf channel sometime.

my ign is the same <---

Meeru

Banned
narcosis219 said:
I wanna play with some gaffers but i have a kdr of like 0.67 due to dicking around and in general sucking =(. I'll drop into the gaf channel sometime.

my ign is the same <---
join our neogaf channel

/join clan neogaf

Haly

Furries rejoice.

Also the design is a bit over the top. They really should tone down the effects to make the game easier on the eyes.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Demy said:
Hon booted me out of gaf clan and back into my old one after the reset :/
Too late to sign up for the IHL?

Nope just sign up in "The HONGAF IHL" thread under the community forum.

GregLombardi said:
Micro isn't fun for all IMO, only those who can do it. This sounds like an everyone hero, which is great because those are pretty rare IMHO.

Haha, having no micro is good for me. I am terrible with micro. :D

Reminds me of that AR game where I had Ophelia (and repicked Accursed) with 3 seconds left, and then someone on the other team repicked and got Ophelia.

Top Bottom