• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT| Pretty sure that Abathur is AFK

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Congrats on no life"

I'm laughing so much, how could I even hate on a post that starts like that? Love you Milly, no matter watcha think of me. Peace and love to all of this community (HeroesGAF, of course - not the people in game)!

It's good to see you back on the HOTS topic my brother, you should post more <3

On related topic, The Butcher is so fun to play !

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I hate Leoric, easily bottom of the barrel on my list

Finally back from a fantastic 2 week honeymoon in Ireland... i'm sure nothing has actually happened in just 2 weeks, let's catch up on HotS news here....

*reads all the news that came out of Gamescom*

... jinkies!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I hate Leoric, easily bottom of the barrel on my list
Why though? He turned out to be one of my most favorite heroes simply because he's solid as fuck (and has one of the best gtfo's in the game).

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
way too slow for my taste is what it comes down to

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
You know who's slow? Arthas. I mean god damn.

kirblar

Grubby clarified, the L1 E talent no one ever took is the one that got rolled into Gravity Lapse. (3s Reduced CD when it hits an opponent, can get 9s with a triple.)

Yoshichan

How to fix Arthas, or at least push him a tier or two up (he needs it).

1. His Sindragosa ultimate needs to come out much, much faster.
2. His Raise the Ghouls ultimate needs to heal Arthas when they "explode" (when the time runs out).
3: Death Coils self-heal is fine but when used offensively, it's terrible. Increase the damage slightly on it (without spending a talent on it).

You know my bank info, Blizzard. Get on it.

brian!

it would be nice if sindragosa came out faster

interesting that kael is getting all this e love, especially since gathering power looks really really awful now

Ketch

Yea I thought it would be cool if they increased the max.

I really like GP and seasoned marksman, but it's really obvious that blizzard doesn't.

kirblar

How to fix Arthas, or at least push him a tier or two up (he needs it).

1. His Sindragosa ultimate needs to come out much, much faster.
2. His Raise the Ghouls ultimate needs to heal Arthas when they "explode" (when the time runs out).
3: Death Coils self-heal is fine but when used offensively, it's terrible. Increase the damage slightly on it (without spending a talent on it).

You know my bank info, Blizzard. Get on it.
I like 1/3 - for 2 I'd just prefer they buff up the normal +healing on his nom noms. It used to be a lot better for sustaining him in a fight.

brian!

the extra death coil dmg talent at 16 isnt bad depending on your comp
ppl usually arent ready for that much dmg to come out
but otherwise there is no real reason to use it offensively

aka_bueno

Where is it on sale for $11?

Just google for Heroes Of The Storm keys, and you will find sites like this:

http://www.allkeyshop.com/blog/buy-heroes-of-the-storm-cd-key-compare-prices/

which leads you to sites like this:

http://www.gamesdeal.com/heroes-of-...m&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=allkeyshop

I have no idea if you can trust the later site, though.

And if you are worried: the keys are not region locked. After entering them, you can decide on which region to use them.

That's where I got it from, the gamesdeal site. It was $11 and some change. They email you the codes right away.

I have an extra storm mantle malf skin id trade if you don't have him

I have Malf already but not the skin, what would you be interested in? Li Li or Zera?

Savitar

I bought the Crown Prince Arthas skin.
>.>

It was on sale two weeks ago.

Next week:

Weekly Sale Items for August 11 &#8211; 18, 2015 PDT
Li Li -- Sale Price: $1.99 USD
Festival Li Li Skin -- Sale Price: $4.99 USD
Succubus Kerrigan Skin -- Sale Price: $3.74 USD

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Festival Li Li Skin -- Sale Price: $4.99 USD
Succubus Kerrigan Skin -- Sale Price: $3.74 USD
Finally.

Edit: Okay, I took a long break and played console games and Total War and now I come back and they have cruelly added an Overwatch section to my bnet without a button to install it. Why you gotta do me like this Blizz? T_T

Yoshichan

Anybody here having problems with the game?
On reddit there are many reports, of quest not working, exp and gold not raising.
Yeah, the XP sometimes doesn't show but it's actually gained (if you check the character progression, it shows the "real" XP).

danielcw

Yeah, the XP sometimes doesn't show but it's actually gained (if you check the character progression, it shows the "real" XP).

People on reddit actually claim the opposite.
Even if you see the bars rising, the number would actually not have changed and be reset after the next game.
Some also say, they cleared a level bar twice. Like getting a character from level 4 to 5, and one game later, again from level 4 to 5.

insulting? really? :p

Absolutely, a real money sale gives the impression that you should spend money on those heroes when in fact those heroes are as close as they come to being freely available. If you're a new player, it's in your interest to spend gold on getting a bunch of low-cost heroes and not just getting 2 10k ones for example (better to buy those with money). I would not be surprised to see the 2k heroes eventually become free as the hero pool gets larger too.

Let's not act as if they're not putting the expensive heroes on sale for some altruistic reason. It's like a department store advertising a weekly sale and you go in but the only thing on sale are socks. From a money:gold ratio, Lili is $1:1,000 gold on sale, but if a 10k hero is on sale you get $1:2,000 gold. That's ridiculous. The ratios should at least be the same.

Rhaknar

Absolutely, a real money sale gives the impression that you should spend money on those heroes when in fact those heroes are as close as they come to being freely available. If you're a new player, it's in your interest to spend gold on getting a bunch of low-cost heroes and not just getting 2 10k ones for example (better to buy those with money). I would not be surprised to see the 2k heroes eventually become free as the hero pool gets larger too.

Let's not act as if they're not putting the expensive heroes on sale for some altruistic reason. It's like a department store advertising a weekly sale and you go in but the only thing on sale are socks. Or a Steam Sale stating that a gaming franchise is on sale but only very first games from the PS1/PS2 era. That is insulting to consumers.

they are rotating the heroes, it got to li li. I dont remember the last 2k hero that was on sale. you are overthinking this way too much, not to mention you are bitching about discounts.

they are rotating the heroes, it got to li li. I dont remember the last 2k hero that was on sale. you are overthinking this way too much, not to mention you are bitching about discounts.

Game is F2P therefore its business practices are immune from criticism? I made an edit making this clearer, but their pricing ratios with respect to the heroes isn't even consistent.

$10:10,000 - 1:1000
$8.50:7,000 - 1:823
$6.49:4,000 - 1:615
$3.99:2,000 - 1:500

They're grossly overcharging for the cheaper heroes and there's no reason that we as consumers should treat that as okay. You act like we should just defer to blizzard because they deigned to privilege us with a sale. They're a business first and foremost and this is about making money. They don't design these sales to make less money; it's to encourage and reinforce their disproportionate pricing scheme (in conjunction with the gold system). And consumers have every right to criticize a pricing scheme or any business practice for that matter and I find it bizarre that I need to explain this.

The pricing scheme at bare minimum should be consistent with respect to the ratios (to say nothing of the absolute cost itself):

$10:10,000 - 1:1000 Sale:$5
$7:7,000 - 1:1000 Sale: $3.50
$4:4,000 - 1:1000 Sale: $2
$2:2,000 - 1:1000 Sale: $1

As it stands, they're putting LiLi on "sale" for the price she should have been at normally. Same thing that retailers do by jacking up the default price and then claiming it's on sale for 50% off when it's just the normal price.

kirblar

They're grossly overcharging for the cheaper heroes and there's no reason that we as consumers should treat that as okay.
So just buy the cheaper heroes with Gold, which is no longer nearly as difficult to come by? Most people buy her very quickly.

Li Li's on sale because they just ran a Kerrigan sale and they want to sell her Festival dress.

Alur

Wanted to add that since I finally got relocated to the west coast, gone are the days of 120-150 bare minimum ping during peak hours for me. Granted there's only US8 now, but I am getting 18-25ms in most every game I play.

jqq8wm.gif

Game is F2P therefore its business practices are immune from criticism?

This list of past sales history shows that one 2k hero (Raynor) was on sale in six months up to this point where we now have a 2nd 2k hero on sale (Lili).

There have been ~6 times a 4k hero has been on sale. I didn't check 7k but that would seem to where the majority is. Eight times we've had a 10k hero on sale and that's including the fact that most of those are recently released so they definitely aren't going on sale with any kind of fastidiousness.

That means in ~33 weeks only eight times have we had a "low value" sale (4k or less hero) as most would describe. That's a pretty good rate IMO and is consistent with them going through the whole roster.

There is no conspiracy or plan to screw us as customers. It's a rotation. C'mon.

So just buy the cheaper heroes with Gold, which is no longer nearly as difficult to come by? Most people buy her very quickly.

Li Li's on sale because they just ran a Kerrigan sale and they want to sell her Festival dress.

I don't get why people are trying so hard to defend bad behavior by Blizzard. Overcharging for something with a low absolute cost is still bad. The whole point is that if Li Li is intended to be purchased with gold (which clearly she is given Blizzard's disproportionate pricing design) then why are they putting that character on sale in the first place? And why are they charging so excessively? Is it part of some "tricking players into making bad decisions is fun" philosophy? If Blizzard kept the pricing the way you apparently want, then here's the real cost you should have paid for heroes.

$30:15,000 - 1:500
$20:10,000 - 1:500
$14:7,000 - 1:500
$8:4,000 - 1:500

The price ratios should be made consistent, the fact that they could have not put things on sale isn't a defense; there's a bad pricing structure underlying it all. Nor is the "they don't do it often" argument an excuse. They still did it. They shouldn't be doing it at all. I only tried to cheat you a few times isn't an defense.

You realize there's a reason that every new hero costs 15k gold and not 10? And that they don't announce when they're going to be discounted to 10? What is their "variable" pricing scheme even supposed to reflect if every new hero is going to be 15k and then 10k gold?

danielcw

Wanted to add that since I finally got relocated to the west coast, gone are the days of 120-150 bare minimum ping during peak hours for me. Granted there's only US8 now, but I am getting 18-25ms in most every game I play.

That's a good number.
What kind of connection do you have? I don't just mean the bandwidth, but the technolgy.

Game is F2P therefore its business practices are immune from criticism?
That's not what was being said by the post you quoted, and probably nobody else in this thread.

The prices and their schemes are made up anyway. There is no "normal" for them.
If you argue, that the ratio between gold and real money should be consistent, for whatever reason, than ultimately you would have to argue for a flat price for all heroes.

As it is now, the prices are only bad, if you choose a perspective that makes them look bad.

That's not what was being said by the post you quoted, and probably nobody else in this thread.

You really don't think "bitching about discounts" is a comment generally reflecting the F2P nature of the game? We'll have to disagree on interpreting that.
The prices and their schemes are made up anyway. There is no "normal" for them.
If you argue, that the ratio between gold and real money should be consistent, for whatever reason, than ultimately you would have to argue for a flat price for all heroes.

As it is now, the prices are only bad, if you choose a perspective that makes them look bad.

How am I arguing for a flat structure? I put down the corrected prices for all the hero tiers if the ratio of money:gold was consistent. The ratio being consistent says nothing about whether the absolute prices can be different. If you think that compels a flat price for heroes that's only because of another argument that the pricing tiers don't reflect any real differences in heroes (which is also true but it's a separate issue).

All pricing schemes are made up, there's no objective price measurement of objects in the world. That doesn't make it okay to overcharge for things based on subjective valuations.

I choose the pro-consumer perspective and used the most beneficial ratio to us as the baseline. If you're not approaching business interactions from the consumer perspective, what perspective do you think we should be using?

kirblar

You realize there's a reason that every new hero costs 15k gold and not 10? And that they don't announce when they're going to be discounted to 10? What is their "variable" pricing scheme even supposed to reflect if every new hero is going to be 15k and then 10k gold?
Yes, to encourage you to pay real money.

It's not a big deal. They've fixed the gold generation issues- you can easily grind with no/minimal $ expenditure.

Us paying them $ = they have more $ to work on the game with. This is not a charity endeavor.

Alur

Us paying them $ = they have more $ to work on the game with. This is not a charity endeavor.

This is the part the never ending tear drops and complaints about F2P always neglect to remember.

Some people are happy to pay. Some aren't. Either way we all get to play so long as someone is paying.

Indignate

But now you can't blame missed hooks on lag. It's a trade-off.

Yes, to encourage you to pay real money.

It's not a big deal. They've fixed the gold generation issues- you can easily grind with no/minimal $ expenditure.

The bolded makes it sound an awful lot like charity and not a market exchange; last time I checked this wasn't a kick starter. You don't have to give them money to 'support development', they're a huge business company with enormous assets and a variety of ways to acquire financial loans. Activision funds development and they do so to profit, not to redirect all income into development for the benefit of players. They offer a product at a certain price, and we as consumers can decide if that is a reasonable price and product.

Plus I already explicitly talked about the business end so I'm not sure why you're acting like I didn't acknowledge the business side of things.

They're grossly overcharging for the cheaper heroes and there's no reason that we as consumers should treat that as okay. You act like we should just defer to blizzard because they deigned to privilege us with a sale. They're a business first and foremost and this is about making money. They don't design these sales to make less money; it's to encourage and reinforce their disproportionate pricing scheme (in conjunction with the gold system). And consumers have every right to criticize a pricing scheme or any business practice for that matter and I find it bizarre that I need to explain this.

The whole point I'm making is that if you correct the whole pricing structure to be consistent with the low tier costs versus high tier costs, you can clearly see how bad it is.

$30:15,000 - 1:500
$20:10,000 - 1:500
$14:7,000 - 1:500
$8:4,000 - 1:500

vs.

$10:10,000 - 1:1000 Sale:$5
$7:7,000 - 1:1000 Sale: $3.50
$4:4,000 - 1:1000 Sale: $2
$2:2,000 - 1:1000 Sale: $1

Crazy how defensive people get on Blizzard's behalf, they can handle themselves.

Yoshichan

Playing with GAFers and having fun again!

kirblar

Because you're complaining about "overcharging" - which doesn't make a whole lot of sense. There's definitely a time premium baked into the pricing to encourage people to pay full price. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. It's a deliberate tactic to increase sales (Buy now because you never know when it'll be on sale next!) and it's perfectly fine.

"Overcharging"- what does this mean, exactly? By what metric? Compared to what? Prices are 100% arbitrary. They are set by Blizzard. If you are ok with them, you can pay them. If you are not, no need! That's what a free market is all about- you can take your money to LoL or MTG or Beer Pong if you so desire.

You're complaining that the cheap heroes aren't as cost-efficient.... but those are the ones you're not likely going to buy with cash anyway, because they're the cheapest! They're encouraging you to shell out for the 10Ks.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's not supposed to be linear. They make the more gold expensive heroes "better deals" with real money on purpose so you feel obligated to go for the bigger but more "cost efficient" purchase and decide to grind for the 2k heroes instead.

I mean, yeah it's not ideal, but it's a bit late for them to change the business model now and it's pretty standard in this genre.

Because you're complaining about "overcharging" - which doesn't make a whole lot of sense. There's definitely a time premium baked into the pricing to encourage people to pay full price. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. It's a deliberate tactic to increase sales (Buy now because you never know when it'll be on sale next!) and it's perfectly fine.

Yes there absolutely is something wrong with that (from a consumer perspective). It's a psychological manipulation tactic used by businesses to create false value and it's not consumer friendly. A consumer friendly approach would be to provide all the information we need to make a decision; this hero will be 15k for the first month, and then be 10k. Consumers should not be okay with businesses hiding information at our expense.

"Overcharging"- what does this mean, exactly? By what metric? Compared to what? Prices are 100% arbitrary. They are set by Blizzard. If you are ok with them, you can pay them. If you are not, no need! That's what a free market is all about- you can take your money to LoL or MTG or Beer Pong if you so desire.

Yet again, you're acting like I failed to address a point I already made.

All pricing schemes are made up, there's no objective price measurement of objects in the world. That doesn't make it okay to overcharge for things based on subjective valuations.

The subjective valuation in this case is the direct relationship between gold and real money or the ratio of $1 to 100 gold; how much gold does Blizzard think $1 is worth. That's not a made up relationship, that's measurable. To say it's not real or objective like weight or mass is irrelevant. The pricing scheme is inconsistent at our expense and we as consumers should demand a consistent, fair, and reasonable pricing structure.

You're complaining that the cheap heroes aren't as cost-efficient.... but those are the ones you're not likely going to buy with cash anyway, because they're the cheapest! They're encouraging you to shell out for the 10Ks.

Yeah, welcome to the psychology and manipulation of F2P. Didn't realize people liked being taken advantage of by business. Dota Model works fine charging only for cosmetics and I'm only arguing for reducing the price of heroes by a couple bucks.

kirblar

And they keep using that model because it works. JC Penney lost a TON of money when they tried going to a flat Wal-Mart-esque pricing structure. People liked the sales- even though the prices were always cheap, their perception of them altered in a way that was very negative to the company's bottom line. These pricing and sales structures are put in place because they work. And none of them are abusive to consumers in the way other games like Farmville are- they're just standard advertising/sales tactics.

I bought into every hero in the game alongside gold purchases back when gold gain was lower. This has had a nice side effect- I no longer have to pay for heroes, ever, as long as i keep my dailies up. I currently have 35000 banked. THAT is consumer friendly.

And they keep using that model because it works. JC Penney lost a TON of money when they tried going to a flat Wal-Mart-esque pricing structure. People liked the sales- even though the prices were always cheap, their perception of them altered in a way that was very negative to the company's bottom line. These pricing and sales structures are put in place because they work. And none of them are abusive to consumers in the way other games like Farmville are- they're just standard advertising/sales tactics.

Advertising and sales is inherently manipulative and exploitative, that's why consumers should be so aggressive about pushing back against them. It's not that different from Farm-ville at all, quite the opposite, they both rely on the same psychological principles to exploit us subconsciously.

Decades of advertising and marketing manipulation have conditioned consumers to value things in irrational ways that we wouldn't use in other contexts of our lives. It's like Stockholm Syndrome in a way. I applaud JC Penny for trying to reverse the process, but you can't reverse decades of work in a single quarter (especially in the context of the fashion industry as opposed to general stores like Walmart).

But I've derailed enough, so if other people would like to have the last word don't worry about me continually responding anymore :p

Ketch

Are people actually arguing that hots stuff is not overpriced? Come on guys, the real money prices have always been bad.

The gold gain has gotten better, and the weekly sales are nice, but the baseline real money prices are high.

$20 for a fuckin unicorn.

Yoshichan

Wait, $20 Unicorn? Where?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
First game after weeks and only one death, lots of saves and kills, turned a couple ugly situations around, headed for objectives in perfect timing without even thinking about it. Just like riding a bike.

kirblar

Are people actually arguing that hots stuff is not overpriced? Come on guys, the real money prices have always been bad.

The gold gain has gotten better, and the weekly sales are nice, but the baseline real money prices are high.

The non-sale/bundle prices definitely suck. But I find the sale prices fair.

When you see Jake talking on stream how he's rushing to buy brand new stuff day 1, I get why its set up the way it is- you can pay more to get it faster, or you can be patient and wait for a discount.

Rainbow Unicorn- was part of the Nexus Bundle, standalone its $20. (Conspicuous consumption!)

danielcw

EDIT: this thread moves fast :)

All I know is it's cable/broadband and 50 down/5 up. Beyond that I'm not savvy enough to know anything, sorry. :p

Cable, that's what I wanted to know actually.
I mean, your modem is connected to the same connection as your TV, right?

You really don't think "bitching about discounts" is a comment generally reflecting the F2P nature of the game? We'll have to disagree on interpreting that.
I think it means, you are "bitching" about the temporal reduction of Lili's price. Nothing more.

How am I arguing for a flat structure? I put down the corrected prices for all the hero tiers if the ratio of money:gold was consistent.
I am not saying you do, I am saying you would have to, because I think it is the logical conclusion of your argument, as i understand it.

The ratio being consistent says nothing about whether the absolute prices can be different.
True, at least not in itself.
But aren't you arguing for a pricing scheme, that is consistent and has internal logic?

Otherwise, I am not sure why the ratio being different is a problem.

If you think it is not objective, then how can it be overcharged?

I choose the pro-consumer perspective
I am a consumer, and since the game is a pure luxury product which no attached important regulations or life changing thing, I want it to thrive.
So yes, I think it is pro consumer for Blizzard to make as much money as morally possible. What is good for the consumers, is also good for Blizzard, because consumers have the final word.

Rhaknar

nobody is arguing they arent bad, its just there is no conspiracy about li li being on sale thats all. its the first 2k hero on sale in fucking 4 months or something, since raynor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom