• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT| Pretty sure that Abathur is AFK

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian!

So anyone tried full damage Kharazim or seen one on stream in a decent game yet? I've not seen much damage output, but healing seems nice.

Ive only played two games on ptr but all the monks i played with went all dmg, and it did make a difference in teamfights

Nothing to tell, I've finally filled the major gap in my play which is properly and consistently advancing into line of sight of the minion wave when safe and not getting team fight tunnel vision. Standard play for Abathur, but something I've not been consistent with. I sometimes end up sitting in one spot for too long, or moving too far ahead, or even shamefully sitting by a tower for 5 minutes. I've been wondering why even though I advance through lanes and pop all over the map my exp isn't as high as it should be. I didn't fully realize just how tight the distance needed to soak if you're not actually fighting the wave and how dependent on line of sight it is. I admit it's a rookie mistake, but I've got enough experience now to know how to take advantage of it.

Patch notes buff Abby's mines a bit, but the big news is the Hivemind buff which is frankly barely needed but practically guarantees no one will ever pick anything else, even if barely anyone does already.

Alur

Been in QM queue on PTR for 507 seconds so far...waiting to play Kharazim. Long line apparently.

EDIT: Made it to 700 seconds before I cancelled. WTF lol

EDITx2: 700 seconds again. The thirst is real.

Alur

917 seconds + 700 seconds = finally another game on monk! REJOICE.

EDIT: My god the new map is so snowbally. Haven't had one go past 14:30 yet out of 5 games. Mechanic stronk.

danielcw

Nothing to tell, I've finally filled the major gap in my play which is properly and consistently advancing into line of sight of the minion wave when safe and not getting team fight tunnel vision. Standard play for Abathur, but something I've not been consistent with. I sometimes end up sitting in one spot for too long, or moving too far ahead, or even shamefully sitting by a tower for 5 minutes. I've been wondering why even though I advance through lanes and pop all over the map my exp isn't as high as it should be. I didn't fully realize just how tight the distance needed to soak if you're not actually fighting the wave and how dependent on line of sight it is. I admit it's a rookie mistake, but I've got enough experience now to know how to take advantage of it.

You call it a rookie mistake, maybe rightfully so.
But one week ago this text would have been really helpful to me. I am sure somebody else will stumble over it and find it helpful.

I still wish Blizzard would make a singleplayer story/campaign (ala Supspace emissary) that teaches the basics of all heroes and advanced stuff in fun ways.
Like make it 10 bucks DLC and allow players to earn 10k gold easily and additional 10k by playing very good for achievements.

Oscar

Glad they removed Ignite.

KT post 16 was a joke to play and extremely overpowered. I solo Q'd HL and carried my teams with him if we reached the late game.

They need to buff Stitches and Diablo. I see mostly Johanna/Muradin/Leoric picks, some Anubs here and there.

Mechazawa

Yeah, Kharazim feels more like a super mobile healer like Brightwing than the "spec whichever way you want OOooOOooh" thing we were hearing a few weeks ago.

Which is fine by me, if there's anything video games need, it's more supports with cool animations.

Maledict

Glad they removed Ignite.

KT post 16 was a joke to play and extremely overpowered. I solo Q'd HL and carried my teams with him if we reached the late game.

They need to buff Stitches and Diablo. I see mostly Johanna/Muradin/Leoric picks, some Anubs here and there.

I know we've discussed this before, but in terms of actual power and balance level Kael was fine. His win rate is nothing to shout about - there were 15 heroes with a higher win rate at the top level.

I'm more flabbergasted by the lack of Zeratul nerfs tbh

Ketch

the new map is so damn hard to come back on. and the fucking golem is insane! like how are you supposed to defend against it if it leaps on you from auto attack range?

Milly79

the new map is so damn hard to come back on. and the fucking golem is insane! like how are you supposed to defend against it if it leaps on you from auto attack range?

Hopefully it gets tuned for next week. You literally can take out a structure every push it feels like while securing 2-3 kills.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
whoa straight up giving hammer 10% dmg

i love the description for the chen change
there's the bd prevention on leoric too

also uh....sanctification...what have they done lol

Yeah, I play a lot of Hammer so I love the buffs to her, but I also play a lot of Tyrael and that sanctification change really is a mixed bag. Removing the channel is a good thing, but decreasing the radius of it? It's hard to use effectively as it is, and they felt the need to nerf it's range and increase it's cooldown? It's not like Tyrael was already overpowered or anything, LOL.

Free stuff for playing D3 though is really cool!

They nerfed Leoric pretty had but compensated by making his W actually heal the % of his health instead of a flat amount.

Still though, that siege nerf :( I didn't even abuse Abathur :(

Installing the PTR now. I'm excited to test out the new Abathur stuff. Hivemind got nerfed in coordinated premade teams but buffed for solo queue, which is great for me. Abathur winrate about to go bananas. Mines got a small buff to their timer which is nice... you can now stack even more mines in one concentrated location before they despawn. Should set-up for some very nice traps.

Shiiiiit, so my heroes are unlocked on the PTR but I'm only level 1 so all their talents aren't? Damn yo. So much for getting some time with Abathur on the PTR today.

Maledict

So, the new map is just broken. The objective is *far* stronger than any other map objective, and it seems like whoever wins the first one generally wins the game from the snowball effect. Unlike other objectives the best strategy seems to be group up with the punisher and push down whatever fort he goes for. It's like having a 6th player on your team, and if you seem him stun someone just pile in for an easy kill.

Kael is... weird. Both his main builds (Chain bomb and Pyromaniac) seem good, but it really doesn't feel like the risk versus reward is right off him. He's *so* easy to kill when in Living Bomb range, and that's where all his power is now.

The replacement for Ignite is pure garbage unless combined with extensive CC - I have no idea what they were thinking with this. It is an eternity until the second Flamestrike hits, so unless they are caught in an entomb I really don't see it being taken.

Alavard

Anyone have any thoughts on the buffs to Tassadar, Sonya, and Brightwing?

The Tassadar changes are small but look like they could really address some of his mana concerns. As for Brightwing, I'm glad she's getting some her healing back, but I'm not sure it's enough, with how badly she was nerfed.

And Sonya... Well, more health is good, but I don't like Blizzard's obsession with whirlwind healing well off of heroes and not minions. When I'm in the middle of a pack of enemy heroes, it always feels to me that some Seismic Slams would be better than tickling them with whirlwind.

brian!

Agree on sonya, though i do like that they are going away from making her just run in and slam, and the sustain should stack nicely with ult 2. It's not something ive tested, but i mean i wouldnt take sonya to soak damage unless the numbers were outrageous

ive never had mana problems on tass so it's overall a nerf to me

Proven

Jaina is still a top pick, but it will be extremely interesting this patch to see if auto attack heroes are actually viable. I'm glad they told imposing presence to go fuck itself

The wording on Kerrigan's BFB implies that she gets healed 10% and then gets an additional 20% as shields. If that's how it actually works, that's pretty big. Cleanse nerf will already help Kerrigan immensely but with the talent changes and overall buffs she's definitely going to be played a lot more this patch

This patch is going to be pretty awesome to me just because of the Hammer buffs, Raynor changes, and slight buffs to all auto attack heroes. If the meta keeps leaning more towards double and triple tank, then mixing in auto attack assassins becomes the next counter. Monk also looks like he works really well in any attack speed buff comp.

Also, no, Kerrigan doesn't get 10% life. The wording is the same as they use for BFB; just because you "steal" health doesn't mean you "gain" health. Kerrigan changes actually disappoint me a little; I thought they'd do more with her shield talents, but perhaps I just need to play around with them to see how I like them.

I know that there's quite a few people in the pro scene who think Sonya is not far off from being viable in the current patch, and giving her more life and sustain could definitely do the trick

Also, no, Kerrigan doesn't get 10% life. The wording is the same as they use for BFB; just because you "steal" health doesn't mean you "gain" health. Kerrigan changes actually disappoint me a little; I thought they'd do more with her shield talents, but perhaps I just need to play around with them to see how I like them.

edit: nvm you're correct

The shield talents seem really good, her level 7 talent is really good

You call it a rookie mistake, maybe rightfully so.
But one week ago this text would have been really helpful to me. I am sure somebody else will stumble over it and find it helpful.

Well no disrespect intended to anyone but myself :p

Installing the PTR now. I'm excited to test out the new Abathur stuff. Hivemind got nerfed in coordinated premade teams but buffed for solo queue, which is great for me. Abathur winrate about to go bananas. Mines got a small buff to their timer which is nice... you can now stack even more mines in one concentrated location before they despawn. Should set-up for some very nice traps.

I've had decent luck with a build picking the 1st and 3rd mine talents and the speed buff 2nd, I'm curious to see if that build is even a bit better now.

Kerrigan changes actually look on paper like they will barely affect my playstyle. The sprint replacement is obviously so she keeps something like sprint but only for offense. It could be ridiculously useful for team fighting with her 1st Ult, or it could be junk as it eliminates 1 of the 3 situations you'd want sprint for in the first place and eliminates the 2nd if you didn't just kill someone.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Wow, I just woke up to this MASSIVE stream of news. Looking at them right now!

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Oh man, I just noticed the thing about Malthael’s Phantom. I guess it'll be time to fire up D3 again soon.

Edit: Treasure goblin mount only purchasable with gold? I hope it isn't 20k again, even though I love my piggybank. Either way, I have to see Gazlowe on the goblin mount.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Making this post so that I can link this to the people that I know will need the TL:DR!
Add Diablo to Your Hero Collection

Diablo III and Diablo III: Reaper of Souls players who log in to Heroes during the three weeks following the release of the upcoming patch will permanently receive Diablo in Heroes of the Storm.
I hope Blizzard actually compensates the people who already bought Diablo for real life money.
Malthael's Phantom mount

Starting with Season 4, Diablo III players who reach level 70 with a Seasonal character will receive Malthael’s Phantom in Heroes of the Storm.
I'll be going 1-70 in D3 s4 as soon as the new season starts. Feel free to join!
Kill 50 Treasure Goblins!

A new Special Event Quest has been added: Kill 50 Treasure Goblins
Any player who manages to rid the Nexus of 50 pesky Treasure Goblins during the Eternal Conflict event will receive a special portrait reward for their heroism! Progress for this Quest will start from zero in the live version of Heroes once the patch is officially released.
Well then, that's essentially 50+ games played! I guess since this comes out the same day as the monk gets released, I'll try and get this day one!

Many new portrait rewards have been added! Unlock them by reaching Hero Level 10 with the following Heroes:

Diablo Villain Collection – Diablo, Leoric, The Butcher
Diablo Heroes Collection Series 1 – Nazeebo, Sonya, Valla
Diablo Heroes Collection Series 2 – Johanna, Kharazim
StarCraft Rebels Collection – Kerrigan, Raynor, Tychus
Swarm Evolution Collection – Abathur, Zagara
Night Elf Betrayer Collection – Illidan, Malfurion, Tyrande
Reign of Chaos Collection – Arthas, Jaina, Thrall, Uther
Stormstout Collection – Chen, Li Li
Undercity Collection – Stitches, Sylvanas
Wow, level 10 portrait rewards! Is Blizzard telling me that leveling characters to 10 finally gives more benefit than seeing your portrait border in gold?!
New Mounts

The Treasure Goblin Mount has been added for a limited time, and is exclusively available for purchase using Gold.
Finally a way to spend the gold I've been saving up (for some oddly reason)!

Proven

they really dont like seasoned marksman

also this:

makes me think they have no idea what they're doing... not because they nerf the talent, because the words they are using in this description are just... ridiculously out of place? The quest didn't feel meaningful to complete? What game are you playing?

I kinda agree with them on Gathering Power, but mostly in the sense that it ended up that way because it wasn't like the other "quest" talents. Gathering Power had a low cap so that it hopefully wouldn't be mandatory, but then it was really easy to get to the cap. By midgame all you had to do was win a teamfight or two and you secured the cap. The new version makes it take much longer to get to the cap (although sadly they can't make it uncapped, which makes me wonder if it should just be a flat number increase instead of a percentage).

For the other quest talents, you needed to put in work if you wanted to see a substantial benefit before the 20 minute mark. This makes Gathering Power need more effort, lowers its mandatory pick status, and you even retain more ability damage if you die while at the cap.

Okay, honestly, I'm just happier for it to be a nerf on burst damage.

Also, it's not that they don't like Seasoned Marksman, but that the talent approached doubled effectiveness on maps with neutral minions (which would have been blatant on the upcoming map). I also like that it gives more for hero deaths, which encourages the roaming aspect shared between all the quest talents (and gives Laynor less of a leg to stand on). I don't recall if Bribe still benefits from neutral minions, but they probably need to change that for the new map too.

brian!

Kerrigan, from initial impressions, seems like she is more able to do what uther allowed her to do, get in the shit and build up shield.

dmosher

Randoming for QuickMatch on the PTR is the best thing ever, you get access to the entire skin/mount pool (even unreleased ones).

So far I've randomed and some observations about relative hero strength on the new map:

Strong Heroes:
- Sylvanas (split push is entirely viable here; they need to bring someone to you or you will put your team way ahead even without the Punisher)
- Arthas (aoe wrecks the objective minions, and can help you secure steals on minions the enemy has brought low)
- Hammer (again aoe, and her positioning, good times).

Alur

Monk's damage is pretty mediocre, but his healing potential is surprisingly much higher than anticipated

Yeah, we wanted support so that's what we got. I truly thought it'd be the opposite but I've not seen anything impressive (overall) numbers wise from him in damage. He does seem to be able to burst a bit if he can isolate one or two targets.

I'm honestly more curious if the healing numbers just look good and feel good because there's a lot of clustering on this map, or if they'll still look as nice and be effective heals and not just numbers.

So, the new map is just broken. The objective is *far* stronger than any other map objective, and it seems like whoever wins the first one generally wins the game from the snowball effect.

Every game I've played whoever took the first one won the game. No game went past 14:30. I suspect some of that may have to do with the matchmaking (or lack thereof) on the PTR, but the majority is just being overtuned.

I truly think this will be a hard thing to balance though I love the idea. If it doesn't do significant damage it becomes useless, but if it's doing like now and 3 or 4 shotting Jaina's and KT's then it's too strong.

I love the new map but I already wish you could play on more in regular Quick Match due to the stompiness. Destroying a team or getting destroyed isn't conducive to really testing out the changes or the new hero.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I'm curious to see how the AI difficulty level changes things. Will Zagara still spam infinite hunter killers? Will Valla still have bolt of the storm from level 1? Competent humans will still stomp them any which way, but randoms struggle often enough as it is.

Increased the damage and Health scaling of Webweavers and their minions by 50% past the 15 minute mark.
GOOD.

I love that level, but it's the only one where I have had a 40 minute game. When teams are balanced it just goes on and on and on.

Edit: OH SHIT! Azmodan, Gazlowe, and Nazeebo just got a HUGE boost by combining Mercenary Lord and Superiority. Their pushing power is just obscene now.

Edit 2: Kerrigan changes are amazing... and challenging. I never picked the range increase because I found Block gave me so much more capacity to dive in and generate shields without a competent support behind me. Her buffs don't seem like they'll be able to make up for picking something other than Block, but the mana sustain of Energizing Grasp is absolutely massive for her, and works in synergy with my already favored choice of using Psionic Pulse for waveclear. I'll be playing her differently in combat for sure, but how exactly it'll work out is unknown.

Making Maelstrom shorter and more potent makes sense for their philosophy of "active, intelligent use" of things, and also for her maneuverability. Decreasing the cooldown makes sense in view of other heroes, too.

The Ultralisk stuff? Nahhhh. People hardly ever chose it to begin with, so now significantly increasing it's cooldown by making it start when it dies is dumb. Multiple rebirths also don't make sense because I don't think I've ever had a successful rebirth. By level 20 you aren't just hunting down lone people anymore, you are in big group battles, so that egg is instantly obliterated. The only way it could possibly be useful is if there is a big teamfight somewhere else and you sent it to attack an ignored fort that was also being attacked by a lot of minions so that the fort doesn't kill the egg. SO pointless. I always choose Nexus Blades if I picked Ultralisk.

brian!

It would have been cool if they added a boss to the map, im too lazy to sus out timers/obj spawn, waiting for eventual reddit post haha

Moff

love those azmodan buffs, can't wait to play him again, he was my first love and I only found a few more others I liked. almost thorugh the roster now.

Maledict

love those azmodan buffs, can't wait to play him again, he was my first love and I only found a few more others I liked. almost thorugh the roster now.

If you play the dunk build like I do with friends, its actually a nerf.

Whilst on paper the changes look good, Azmodan still has the same problem he has always had - two of his abilities are awful without the talents to support them. Your globe is *ridiculously* slow pre-7, and All Shall Burn is so bad until 13 when you unlock the movement talent. Until they address those sort of issues I don't really see any scope for improvement on Azmodan, or any other decent build beyond the Azmodunk build. Which of course got nerfed as it can't take Demonic General anymore...

When everyone is picking quality of life talents that just make your abilities more useable, Blizzard need to step back and consider how the basic abilities work - like they did with Kerrigan this patch.

Oh, and a pure mana reduction talent at 13 is simply dumb. Those sort of talents need to be in the first two tiers, not level 13 for goodness sakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom