• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT| Pretty sure that Abathur is AFK

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetsetrez

Man this game is just so fun. This is already climbing the list of my favorite games of all time. It is just almost never not fun, outside of when the matchmaking is particularly bad or your team are jerks, which admittedly is a common occurance.

I tried going back and playing DotA2 a little bit before TI, and I just don't know how I had the patience for all of the downtime and the pace, or the motivation for keeping up with the meta and item builds, or the perserverence for playing the average length of those games. HotS is like the perfect game to play if you have responsibilities but still want that moba control and strategy.

And it's really nice that I love Blizzard's universes so much, it's so much more appealing than the LoL art/lore, and while DotA's art is very nice, the heroes are just super generic versions of the real deal here. There is so much more personality to this game than either of the other two imo. I really hope this game keeps growing and becomes a big in its own right.

not sure about it counting as a loss, but it'll count as an abandon

I was playing with a friend. We won while I was restarting mt machine... But for me it showed as a loss anyway.. I have to see what hotdog says...

Btw... First time I blame win10 for problems, my Nvidia has never had problems, but now I had huge lag spikes.. And win10 told me after a few that nvidia "recorder"(?) is causing issues. I have used the geforce shadowplay without any issues with win7 before.

So I was farting around in vs AI, and our team had a Butcher get completely, monomaniacally focused on an enemy Nova that killed him in the early game.

He was even chatting out the whole "NEMESIS! YOU ARE MINE NEMESIS" thing from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPfxtJ8SQgk the whole time.

Luckily, it's vsAI so who cares, so in a rare show of "let's all play along", the rest of the team would ping Nova's location, even ping shimmers. The whole game changed into "stun, trap, and bodyblock Nova so Butcher can have his revenge"

MoonGred

Somehow I've subconsciously started justifying the $51 bundle, I want Naz, Nova (wouldn't mind her skin either), Zagara, Tassadar, and the 2 mounts. I guess when you add up the individual cost of it all it's a good deal but I don't know how I feel about spending $50 on the game...

Johanna pissed me off.
The cunt is basically invincible.

I haven't played as her yet, but what is it that gives her so much sustain? I've been in so many one on ones where I could've sworn I was going to get her but then get demolished and she walks away without a scratch

Rizzi

Somehow I've subconsciously started justifying the $51 bundle, I want Naz, Nova (wouldn't mind her skin either), Zagara, Tassadar, and the 2 mounts. I guess when you add up the individual cost of it all it's a good deal but I don't know how I feel about spending $50 on the game...

Don't do it.

Rizzi

Sylvanas and Kaelthas die six times in the first eight minutes.
Get called a "fuccboi" for not being in two lanes at once to stop them from acting like morons.
Gotta love it.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I think i should play more this week.
I'm a decent Abathur player,so I'm probably better than most player with this hero right now.

I've played something like 40 games as Abathur since buying him and I've always thought of myself as a decent but still average Aba player, but seeing an Abathur in every game I played yesterday has taught me that I'm better than I thought I was, LOL. He's hard to play but man some people don't even understand his mechanics. I saw more than a few Abathurs out in the lanes trying to melee with waves! And most of them stay back behind the walls the entire game, even all the way back in the first ring of towers.

Fun times, lol.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I won't any time soon, having way too much fun with Ilidan. Hoping for a free week of Naz or Zera soon
After the patch you will have one week to get the bundle. After that it will be removed from the shop. However, during that week it will be dynamic, meaning it will have further discount depending on what heroes you already own.

I got it, but then I have also played this much more than many other games I bought, so I have no issue with having put money into it.

Rizzi

Sure would be nice if people would actually kill enemy healers instead of ineffectively beating on the warriors.
But I guess that's asking too much of people really.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I sometimes just assume that the warriors/tanks uses some sort of taunt ability that forces the dps to focus on them at the start of every encounter

Why else do you see entire dps groups use all their cooldowns on Johanna shen she's in indestructible mode?

TheGrue

Questions from a relative newbie:

1) I've mostly been play Nazeebo as I like him. Just curious which of the stats I'm aiming to do well in. I tend to finish first or second in XP contribution, but my siege and hero rankings don't necessarily hit as high. What should I be aiming to excel in?

2) Does that answer change depending on role?

3) Is there a NeoGAD "guild" or something like that where I could potentially join a full team and have some communication and coordination (something you don't get with randoms)?

brian!

Xp contribution is a great stat to be high up in if you're new. If you find yourself losing a bunch, question whether that stat comes at the expense of other things (are you just sitting in lane while stuff is happening around you, etc.)

Obv you should aim to improve all the numbers as you play, but also know that the numbers tell a pretty limited story on how you are performing each game.

Maledict

My honest advice would be to completely ignore the stats. They are junk, and often give completely the wrong impression. For example, someone can have great siege damage and exp contribution - and they lost their team the game, because they were sat in a lane laning all the time whilst team fights go on. Similarily people can look at heroes like Illidan and think they were bad because their hero damage was low, without realising how the hero works and that Illidan tends to finish people, not wrack up huge damage numbers.

In many ways the stats screen is a dreadful, misleading tool that actually makes people play worse. And don't get me started on the idiotic 'role' stats.

brian!

Yah you can glean useful things from it, easier in situations like mirror matches in qm, but ignoring it is totally fine. It's not something you will ever have to worry about in this game unless you are trying to figure something out

Alur

Questions from a relative newbie:

1) I've mostly been play Nazeebo as I like him. Just curious which of the stats I'm aiming to do well in. I tend to finish first or second in XP contribution, but my siege and hero rankings don't necessarily hit as high. What should I be aiming to excel in?

2) Does that answer change depending on role?

3) Is there a NeoGAD "guild" or something like that where I could potentially join a full team and have some communication and coordination (something you don't get with randoms)?

Naz is kind of a spray and pray hero unless you can set up your Zombie Wall or get the advantage in a fight to ensure maximum Toad damage. Typically you see him with high hero damage numbers, but as the others above said it doesn't mean as much as you might think. The Illidan example is a great one - he's a good finisher. For Nazeebo, his damage is high but it's spread among many targets. He does great siege damage with Gargantuan if he's left alone as well.

Starting out focus on winning your lane 1-10 and not getting yourself killed by pushing in too hard without paying attention to the map. Show up for objectives and team fights and do what you can. Probably the simplest Nazeebo thing to remember is when you drop W (Zombie Wall) and you accidentally trap your teammate - and it will happen - you can hit W again to release it. So many new Nazeebos killing teammates every time he's free. :D

And yes, the answer for what to excel in changes depending on role but don't worry so much about the stats beyond your own number of deaths, IMO, and only then if you are feeding excessively (though naturally, a tank/warrior will probably die more than a ranged assassin). The only other surefire use is being able to recognize if you are vastly underperforming. The best recent example I can give of this is that we played on PTR last night and had a Zeratul with 6 deaths and 11k hero damage in a ~20 minute Infernal Shrines game that we won. He simply would not decloak to kill stragglers from the team fight, he only decloaked right as the fight initiated and it cost him (and us) repeatedly. We won anyway, but even he cracked a joke about how terribly he was playing.

As for GAF folk to play with, quote the OP and there is a Google doc linked there with the battletags of a bunch of us and it's split depending on your region. There's also info at the top of it for the HOTS GAF mumble server if you find friends you want to use it with. They don't have to be GAF.

PS: <3 Nazeebo. Definitely one of my favorite. Go get that beautiful master skin!

Just played my first game with him. Love the playstyle.

He's the biggest reason I keep coming back. Whenever I get burnt out on other characters, he's so different he keeps the game fresh for me.

I bought Kerrigan so I could use her Succubus skin.
It's so cool.

Gonna pick it up tonight. Already got the Monster Mash skin, so why not

Still hate her Master though, although I think the only Master I like of the characters I have past 10 is Jaina. I own Abathur's Master just because it's goofy looking and I have gold to burn

TheGrue

Naz is kind of a spray and pray hero unless you can set up your Zombie Wall or get the advantage in a fight to ensure maximum Toad damage. Typically you see him with high hero damage numbers, but as the others above said it doesn't mean as much as you might think. The Illidan example is a great one - he's a good finisher. For Nazeebo, his damage is high but it's spread among many targets. He does great siege damage with Gargantuan if he's left alone as well.

Starting out focus on winning your lane 1-10 and not getting yourself killed by pushing in too hard without paying attention to the map. Show up for objectives and team fights and do what you can. Probably the simplest Nazeebo thing to remember is when you drop W (Zombie Wall) and you accidentally trap your teammate - and it will happen - you can hit W again to release it. So many new Nazeebos killing teammates every time he's free. :D

Thanks! This is good to read as it's what I tend to do with the character. I rarely have any deaths and I knew the bit about hitting W again to remove my wall.

Alur

I rarely have any deaths and I knew the bit about hitting W again to remove my wall.

If you already figured out taking down the W when it goes awry you're probably well ahead of the folks you're playing with MMR wise starting out. Beyond that, with any hero staying alive while still being a presence is the name of the game. Sounds like you're on track!

Welcome aboard the Nazeepo plz train. Watch out for Marky!

epz5910.png

Rizzi

He's the biggest reason I keep coming back. Whenever I get burnt out on other characters, he's so different he keeps the game fresh for me.

Gonna pick it up tonight. Already got the Monster Mash skin, so why not

Still hate her Master though, although I think the only Master I like of the characters I have past 10 is Jaina. I own Abathur's Master just because it's goofy looking and I have gold to burn

I think most of the master skins are kind of shitty with the exception of Thrall.

If you already figured out taking down the W when it goes awry you're probably well ahead of the folks you're playing with MMR wise starting out. Beyond that, with any hero staying alive while still being a presence is the name of the game. Sounds like you're on track!

Always makes me giggle.

LOL! SO RIGHT.

Maledict

We just queued in quick match as a 4 player group (Leoric, Uther, Illidan, Abathur) as one of our group wanted to learn and practice uther.

We got matched with someone who was on their 6th game, and went up against a 5 player stack of people who were on their third game. Who didn't have a support in their group either.

Unsurprisingly, it was a 7 minute game on Battlefield. I whispered them all an apology after the match but suspect that's 5 people never playing HoTs again.... Dumb matchmaker.

kirblar

We just queued in quick match as a 4 player group (Leoric, Uther, Illidan, Abathur) as one of our group wanted to learn and practice uther.

We got matched with someone who was on their 6th game, and went up against a 5 player stack of people who were on their third game. Who didn't have a support in their group either.

Unsurprisingly, it was a 7 minute game on Battlefield. I whispered them all an apology after the match but suspect that's 5 people never playing HoTs again.... Dumb matchmaker.
I would post up that game on social media.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
free Abathur week means Zeratul comes out to play

grinch.gif

im sorry :(

im not sorry

Dice

So I'm playing as red succubus Kerrigan and I have to fight for heaven side so when we're killing the demon I'm like "SORRY DAD"

Anyways, I have 10k now. Do I get Leoric or save another 1k and get Hammer & Tychus? Decisions decisions...

Maledict

So I'm playing as red succubus Kerrigan and I have to fight for heaven side so when we're killing the demon I'm like "SORRY DAD"

Anyways, I have 10k now. Do I get Leoric or save another 1k and get Hammer & Tychus? Decisions decisions...

If you are interested in buying a hero for power levels, wait until the patch hits and the dust settles before buying anything. Leoric is getting wacked around by the nerf bat in this patch so it will be difficult to tell how he sits anymore after the patch.

If you want to buy a hero because you like playing them, then go wild! Buy Murky!

Please share the replay. I want to commentate and totally totally go overboard.

Dice

Just had a super annoying ultra laggy game and one of the team members had a hangul name. COINCIDENCE?

If you want to buy a hero because you like playing them, then go wild! Buy Murky!
I am already a Murky god.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom