• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT| Pretty sure that Abathur is AFK

Status
Not open for further replies.
I play League of Legends all the time and recently started playing Heroes of the Storm with my friend and brother. It's definitely great with friends, and way less stressful than League.

As of now, I'm using the Butcher and loving him. Trying to determine my next hero I buy. I really like bursty champions, but also like champions who do a lot of AoE. I kinda like support also.....I'm looking at Tyrande and Nova and both look fun. Anyone have an opinion on either?

Fmal

Banned
I play League of Legends all the time and recently started playing Heroes of the Storm with my friend and brother. It's definitely great with friends, and way less stressful than League.

As of now, I'm using the Butcher and loving him. Trying to determine my next hero I buy. I really like bursty champions, but also like champions who do a lot of AoE. I kinda like support also.....I'm looking at Tyrande and Nova and both look fun. Anyone have an opinion on either?

Nova does a lot of burst, but has basically no AoE potential at all aside from one of her ults. Tyrande's damage is kind of subpar (she's a support/nuker hybrid), and again, most of her AoE damage comes from her ult, although if they're all lined up for some reason I guess her owl arrow thing can do some work.

Normally Jaina and Karl are the two heroes I'd recommend anyone looking for AoE and high burst, but Blizzard has been eyeing them for adjustments lately, so I'm hesitant to recommend them because there's a good chance they'll both be total garbage in a month or so. Zagara has a lot of AoE and can get some pretty good burst from good baneling set-ups and I don't see her going through the chopping block anytime soon.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
tfw my completely blind blizzard guess (cuz I was also low health so couldn't reveal myself) accurately lands directly on two trying to go b for the double kill
gJi1bEc.gif

Alur

It's my favorite map already. It's so absurd and hilarious.

Once people figure out how to play it and we see if it's really imbalanced (and the subsequent tuning happens) it'll be even more fun.

Alur

Devs already did the Q&A saying they've been nerfed internally a ton from what they were and they feel they are fine.

They gave strategies for working around them and the thread gave another.

I personally think they are a little overtuned, but a lot of the snowballing is due to cluelessness and stupidity more than anything. The issue from my POV lies more in how easy it is to get subsequent Punishers (doesn't scale up in numbers like coins/gems/etc) for the team that is ahead.

Dice

Us: Rehgar, Lili, Brightwing, Leoric, Sylvanas
Them: Tassadar, Sonya, Zagara, Raynor, Hammer

Because that makes sense. Good matchmaker.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Infernal shrines is out? Was it hotfixed in or did I miss a patch?

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Us: Rehgar, Lili, Brightwing, Leoric, Sylvanas
Them: Tassadar, Sonya, Zagara, Raynor, Hammer

Because that makes sense. Good matchmaker.

I'm going to go ahead and blame the poor matchmaking on the slew of losses I've endured over the last 24 hours!
RIP in peace your good MMR. That's a hell of a swing.
I'm convinced now more than ever that that site's MMR is meaningless. The actual number it has assigned to me has not determined the caliber of opponent I've faced. Back when my MMR was "good" I was facing opponents that stood still and took it worse than the awful bots in this game do. Now that my MMR is under 2k I've been facing coordinated stacks of people who have been playing MOBAs their whole lives.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
heading out to buy a new headset

fun

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Did you accidentally drop it on the floor?
Yup! 'twas some crap quality, I went to get some coke and I accidentally dropped it. And bam, went into 5 different pieces :/

Makikou

FFS. Where do these people come from?

Zeratul that only laned. No roam, less hero damage than our Rehgar. WTF?
I guess a new hero, Lanetul, has born to accompany the infamous Laynor

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I'm amazed at Valla's damage output.

Haven't seen anyone so far I couldn't 1v1.

In one particularly long game, I reached 150k hero damage 0_o

Yoshichan

QM wait time is pretty immense on EU right now ._. I dunno what's going on.

Dice

Eternal Shrines is hilarious with the 40 kill lead for the winners every time.

Yoshichan

A.I. win in 4 minutes and 35 minutes

Totally worth it

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Has anybody ever gotten matched with themselves before?

Like they have the same name but different ID number.

apparently that happened to me and its...really really weird lol

feels like i just talked to my long lost twin brother or something

Yep, happened to me once!

Yoshichan

But graveyard and bay aren't up right now... how did you manage that?
The Diablo map! (first one, not the newest one)

Yoshichan

That's a lot to tear through. Did you have Sylvannas, Azmo, Zagara, Hammer, and Leoric?
I don't even remember to be honest! We just finished the objective once and then followed the immortal all the way to the finish line :lol

Yoshichan

So this was the most drawn out 1-10 in the history of Heroes, which was mostly the result of me going back and forth between a few different characters. Nonetheless, I finally made it! Here's the build I went with:

1. Ranger's Mark
4. Protective Shields or Pierce
7. Lunar Blaze or MULE if the map encourages for that
10. Starfall
13. Overflowing Light
17. Trueshot Aura or Ranger
20. Nexus Frenzy or Storm Shield

Overall, Tyrande wasn't as fun as I'd imagine her to be. Her skillshot that I had at first assumed was really powerful turned out not to be as powerful in a non-synergistic party. And as expected, her heals are extremely lackluster and Starfall is merely a zoning mechanic (even during situations where everyone is forced to stack). Despite almost always (80-90%) managing to successfully aiming my Hunter's Mark and skillshot combo, it never really satisfied me that much. Other than that, I'm extremely disappointed by the fact that I barely got to touch her in Hero League - solely for the reason that the community despises her in that league. It took me four games of constant complaining from other people until I realized that Tyrande is doomed to be on QM for the rest of my 1-10 trip!

Here's a summary of Tyrande:

+ Skillshot catches people that are trying to run away
+ Hunter's Mark when the party focuses one target
+ Although not an exclusive talent, MULEs are amazing in some maps

- Just like my previous character that I played (Kharazim), she's a terrible laner as well
- Not playing your A-game (missing skillshots) instantly puts Tyrande 5 tiers below everyone else
- Despite not being a full support, her heals are near abysmal

Fun-tier-list
God fun: Zagara, Kael'thas, Sylvanas, Jaina
High fun: Thrall, Kharazim, Zeratul, Valla, Kerrigan, Falstad, Tyrael, Leoric
Medium fun: Nazeebo, Butcher, Johanna, Tychus, Anub'arak, Malfurion, Arthas, Illidan
Low fun: Li Li, Raynor, Nova, Tyrande
Trash: Muradin

Edit: I completely forgot about the meta-portraits that you can achieve! I just got rewarded this:

4AADXgA.png

brian!

I'm going to go ahead and blame the poor matchmaking on the slew of losses I've endured over the last 24 hours!

I'm convinced now more than ever that that site's MMR is meaningless. The actual number it has assigned to me has not determined the caliber of opponent I've faced. Back when my MMR was "good" I was facing opponents that stood still and took it worse than the awful bots in this game do. Now that my MMR is under 2k I've been facing coordinated stacks of people who have been playing MOBAs their whole lives.

Your mmr should resolve as you play more games (and the site is kinda cognizant of this with how it only allows ladder placement after a certain amount of games), but what that number means is hard to get at atm, like it's hard to say whether the top 5% is meaningfully distanced from the top 10% and so on, there are probably more arguments for these numbers being arbitrary than not. But yeah ur probably still in limbo right now hotslog/mmr wise

kirblar

Tyrande is f'ing fantastic. She just needs a Kerrigan/Butcher type to pair with - is very underwhelming if you don't have heroes who she synergizes with.

Yoshichan

Wait a sec, Kharazim is a fantastic laner against melee characters.

With Transcendence he can bully most of them out.
As a solo laner, I almost never managed to keep the creep away from my towers. Always those two or three wasted shots as I struggle to push the creep away.
Tyrande is f'ing fantastic. She just needs a Kerrigan/Butcher type to pair with - is very underwhelming if you don't have heroes who she synergizes with.
I know there are a few Tyrande fans in this thread... all I can do is apologize, I guess? ._.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Fun-tier-list
God fun: Zagara, Kael'thas, Sylvanas, Jaina
High fun: Thrall, Kharazim, Zeratul, Valla, Kerrigan, Falstad, Tyrael, Leoric
Medium fun: Nazeebo, Butcher, Johanna, Tychus, Anub'arak, Malfurion, Arthas, Illidan
Low fun: Li Li, Raynor, Nova, Tyrande
Trash: Muradin

I agree with you Yoshi, I can't stand Tyrande. I hate playing her and I don't see why others enjoy her as a hero.

Also Yoshi, I notice a curious lack of Hammer on your list. Have you not played her yet?

Dice

I have to agree on Tyrande. She's missing something, same with Nova, although I do play with them still. Both suffer from the fact Jaina does what they do better.

Tyrande has a skillshot that can possibly do good if you get follow up. Jaina has a skillshot that hurts really fucking bad in itself. Tyrande can make one hero vulnerable. Jaina can make 12 targets vulnerable in the right conditions. Tyrande can maybe catch a runner if she's good. Jaina can put the slows on everyone perpetually if she's good. Tyrande can add a little bit of zoning for a team that is dumb and grouped up. Jaina can blow up an entire team that is dumb and groups up. What is Jaina missing compared to Tyrande? Lame ass heals? Killing the offending enemy/making them fuck off before they hurt you that bad is better.

With Nova it's a little different. She moves from group to single target, and some CC for element of surprise. Still, mostly only good for scouting over Jaina once the game is in "real fights mode" not just trying gank or on cleanup duty. The real stealth assassin is Zeratul and he gets waveclear on top as well as escape//resets/jukes over the stupid hologram mechanic.

Edit: I notice Lili is low on your list. Try this out.

Gale Force>Mass Vortex>Pitch Perfect>Whatev>Surging Winds>Two for One>Whatev

Combining that with the dragon hats, you'd be surprised by how much she can get done while still healing well (I've done 45k on both hero damage and healing in the same game). And utilizing the blinds correctly is a much more dynamic kind of play people don't really expect from her. The water dragon over cups can likewise be good for unexpected turns if you time it right have a team that knows how to utilize it, but it really does depend on the team and map.

Maledict

Wait a sec, Kharazim is a fantastic laner against melee characters.

With Transcendence he can bully most of them out.

I find hm to be one of the worse laning characters in the game to be honest.

Yes, he can bully melee characters. But he has absolutely zero wave clear, so all they have to do is go in, drop their AE or whatever, then walk out and Kharazim is stuck. The creep waves will constantly push against his towers.

He's a very good one on one duelist, but truly bad when defending lanes. Leaving him on his own is even worse than leaving Uther solo in a lane I find.

I find hm to be one of the worse laning characters in the game to be honest.

Yes, he can bully melee characters. But he has absolutely zero wave clear, so all they have to do is go in, drop their AE or whatever, then walk out and Kharazim is stuck. The creep waves will constantly push against his towers.

He's a very good one on one duelist, but truly bad when defending lanes. Leaving him on his own is even worse than leaving Uther solo in a lane I find.

Yes he's awful at clearing waves and the towers will certainly run out of ammo constantly but in exchange he's perfect to zone out opponents from XP.

Tyrande imo is much worse than Monk at both.

Someone from complexity made a video of a couple helpful monk tricks. I think it was to always E into Q and to Q Shift W if you want to dash and heal an ally so the W doesn't go off until you're into Q reach

kirblar

As a solo laner, I almost never managed to keep the creep away from my towers. Always those two or three wasted shots as I struggle to push the creep away.

I know there are a few Tyrande fans in this thread... all I can do is apologize, I guess? ._.
Tyrande's going to be really bad as a solo-queue character. You need coordination on comms to line up stuns and blow people up. Otherwise you end up wasting the opportunity over and over and she feels like she's doing nothing. When used correctly she just erases people w/ a friend.

Had a rough night in HL last night... went 2-5 rofl. In one game someone on my team first picked Hammer and was pretty much horrible all game. Another we had a good comp selected (before actually picking the heroes), last guy had Uther selected the entire draft and then when it got to his turn to pick he changed to Nova... I don't understand haha.

Oh well, still had a lot of fun. The new map is interesting (I never played the PTR), punishers can dish out some serious damage. Bring back mines and garden though please, they are both in my top 3-4 maps!

How have you guys been building Kerrigan with the new patch? I keep flipping between ravage builds and impaling spikes, can't decide which I like more.

Yoshichan

Also Yoshi, I notice a curious lack of Hammer on your list. Have you not played her yet?
Yup! I once tried her our against the AI (when I was XP capped) and never really got a good glimpse of her! We'll see when I try her out - it'll be awhile though :)!
Edit: I notice Lili is low on your list. Try this out.

Gale Force>Mass Vortex>Pitch Perfect>Whatev>Surging Winds>Two for One>Whatev

Combining that with the dragon hats, you'd be surprised by how much she can get done while still healing well (I've done 45k on both hero damage and healing in the same game). And utilizing the blinds correctly is a much more dynamic kind of play people don't really expect from her. The water dragon over cups can likewise be good for unexpected turns if you time it right have a team that knows how to utilize it, but it really does depend on the team and map.
Thanks! However I did some ridiculous healing when I was playing as Li Li - my list is a tier list based only of how much fun I had playing the characters! I was spamming Q for 20 games and it was at that time that I realized that I'm not really having so much fun with this character :lol

Maybe the other build would change that. Maybe!

Yoshichan

i've got a family

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom