• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT| Pretty sure that Abathur is AFK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alavard

any impressions on the new map?

Haven't played it myself, but all the feedback I've seen says it's too snowball-y. To the point where they're saying whoever takes the first objective gains an immediate two level lead.

I really hope they're wrong, or at least that it's changed enough from that since the PTR.

Alur

Punishers are very strong. They target the closest player.

If you lose an early Punisher (especially the first one), do not and I mean do effing not try to defend it with your whole team. Split up and soak the other two lanes and try to push. You can leave a person or two to defend if you want, but honestly it's almost better to go 4-1 and push down your own fort because all the Punisher will net them is that one fort (and maybe not even that).

If you try to defend with 5, the Punisher will stun and destroy you and you'll be 2 or 3 levels down nearly immediately and you'll never catch back up.

That's why the map appears so snowbally. You have to counter-push when the enemy grabs one because it's too risky to all in defend like you would a normal golem/garden terror/boss.

Using this strategy we only lost one game and that one at least went 22 mins plus (the average was about 12-14 mins on PTR). Granted there was no MMR there, but it seems to be the best bet going in early.

Haven't played it myself, but all the feedback I've seen says it's too snowball-y. To the point where they're saying whoever takes the first objective gains an immediate two level lead.

I really hope they're wrong, or at least that it's changed enough from that since the PTR.

Don't all-in defend the Punisher. Counter like I was describing above. That will prevent the majority of the huge level gaps.

You will have issues getting people who haven't played it to listen to you starting out, likely, but within a week or two people will come around. At the very least this is one of those rare times where you should "do your own thing" and not what the team is doing if they all decide to defend. You'll need to soak as much as possible to make up for the deaths they are gonna stack up trying to defend.

If the people don't know how to deal with it but personally what worked best for me on PTR was abandoning the lane and just push another one instead trying to make up for the lost XP.

During the Reddit AmA the devs mentioned their strategy and it was using the range of the Cena (Punisher) to steer him away from structures and/or the enemy team.
Same with the stun. If only 1 player is within range he'll jump on him guaranteed so put someone who can take it there.

I hate KT on that map, he can steal the objective kills so easily

Alavard

Punishers are very strong. They target the closest player.

If you lose an early Punisher (especially the first one), do not and I mean do effing not try to defend it with your whole team. Split up and soak the other two lanes and try to push. You can leave a person or two to defend if you want, but honestly it's almost better to go 4-1 and push down your own fort because all the Punisher will net them is that one fort (and maybe not even that).

If you try to defend with 5, the Punisher will stun and destroy you and you'll be 2 or 3 levels down nearly immediately and you'll never catch back up.

That's why the map appears so snowbally. You have to counter-push when the enemy grabs one because it's too risky to all in defend like you would a normal golem/garden terror/boss.

Using this strategy we only lost one game and that one at least went 22 mins plus (the average was about 12-14 mins on PTR). Granted there was no MMR there, but it seems to be the best bet going in early.

Don't all-in defend the Punisher. Counter like I was describing above. That will prevent the majority of the huge level gaps.

You will have issues getting people who haven't played it to listen to you starting out, likely, but within a week or two people will come around. At the very least this is one of those rare times where you should "do your own thing" and not what the team is doing if they all decide to defend. You'll need to soak as much as possible to make up for the deaths they are gonna stack up trying to defend.

Thanks! Going to take all that advice to heart immediately for my first matches on there tonight.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Really looking forward to yet another map where people ignore the objectives!

Alur

If the people don't know how to deal with it but personally what worked best for me on PTR was abandoning the lane and just push another one instead trying to make up for the lost XP.

During the Reddit AmA the devs mentioned their strategy and it was using the range of the Cena (Punisher) to steer him away from structures and/or the enemy team.

Same with the stun. If only 1 player is within range he'll jump on him guaranteed so put someone who can take it there.

This man has the right of it. Abandon lane and counter push. Punisher does shit siege damage, but he wrecks players because his name is JOHNNNNNNNNNNNN CEEEENNNNNNAAAAAA.

Really looking forward to yet another map where people ignore the objectives!

Like you ignore our posts about you playing Murky? :p

And what maps have people ignore objectives? You are seeing this regularly in QM at Diamond now? This one most certainly won't be one of those. One lost objective is huge here.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
You're out of my league :( too smart...

I'll surprise you guys (well, those who want me to play Murky) in the next few days... trust me on this one (please?) :_:

patchday

Logged in last night and noticed I got 22k gold saved which is weird cause I thought I only had 12k gold when I took a break. Waiting for monk to drop in price I'm thinking I want him :)

the people who don't do objectives are out of their league... of legends

hehe, well even in LoL team will want to kill baron / dragons for buffs. Those scrubs are not welcome there either :)

Found the comment

Blizz_JDeShazer said:
For Infernal Shrines balance we spent a ton of time working out the different balance hooks on the Punishers. So I'm going to pull out some of our major balance factors we analyzed and discussed during it's development.

The AoE stun used to have a large damage component built into it. This created a lot of snowballs in our internal play testing and was quickly removed. With this change we added a little more of the damage into the Punisher's themselves.

We both reduced and increased the Punishers stun many many times as we iterated upon his power level. Our biggest take away was the stun at lower numbers didn't feel very impactful and consequently the reward felt unimportant.

While we wanted to maintain the Punisher's damage levels we decided to add counter-play instead of removing damage. He switches to the nearest enemy hero. So after the initial stun and I believe 1 to 2 hits of guaranteed damage on the primary target your allies can jump in and soak the damage.

While testing we also saw lots of baiting tactics get developed as players learned the maps to pull Punisher's into areas where it was harder for the attacking team to follow up on the Punisher

https://www.reddit.com/r/heroesofth...rhereosofthestorm_were_back_with_a_qa/cu9t8zo

Logged in last night and noticed I got 22k gold saved which is weird cause I thought I only had 12kyou gold when I took a break. Waiting for monk to drop in price I'm thinking I want him :)

Maybe from Bundles getting refunded if you already owned components of it

Alur

I'll surprise you guys (well, those who want me to play Murky) in the next few days... trust me on this one (please?) :_:

I wait with bated breath.

the people who don't do objectives are out of their league... of legends

M5Tqspd.gif

You left out the.......YEEAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
I laughed IRL anyway

Logged in last night and noticed I got 22k gold saved which is weird cause I thought I only had 12k gold when I took a break. Waiting for monk to drop in price I'm thinking I want him :)

We got refunds due to dynamic bundles if we had double purchased any heroes over the year.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
hehe, well even in LoL team will want to kill baron / dragons for buffs. Those scrubs are not welcome there either :)
scrubs are the morons in mid on spider tomb who go b at full hp to go to a developing situation in top lane instead of just running up to top lane
(because in lol you do that to buy items pre-fight)

someone please make them play right

I played the new map a couple weeks ago. I found it really fun, but man, the Punishers are just insane. They really are super strong. I haven't had enough playtime on the map to develop a good strategy to countering them, but as others have mentioned above, it seems like all-in defending against them is not the way to go. Put 4 on defense and 1 greater pusher (Gazlowe, Sylvanas, Azmodan, etc) on offense or 3D/2O and I think you'll fair a bit better.

You can see the highlights of Punisher carnage here (#1), here (#2), here (#3), and here (#4).

Yoshichan

I wish the Medics second ultimate is stimpack from Brood War

Fuck Bloodlust

Alur

I am surprised they kept BoE in with the first run of Infernal Shrines. I wonder if that's because it was missing all last week, or if that was the plan all along?

Either way, no Haunted Mines for a week boiz? So. Happy. Rite. Now.

Yoshichan

Oh it's already up in NA? Nice...

Thanks for the information guys! This is really helpful so i don't see myself walking into a jumping punisher ready to punch my headoff.

Great tips guys! THANK YOU!

Yoshichan

I dunno about that. Just that it's coming today sometime.

I can't log in for another 30 mins to an hour to see.
Heroes of The Storm ‏@BlizzHeroes 34m34 minutes ago

Infernal Shrines is playable in the Americas!
!

Yes - 9 is too many. It's too much info a=for a new player to take in, and even the pro's have been saying the map pool has gotten too big.

Plus, Mines and Garden utterly suck.

Yeah i really dislike the mines, garden and the bay.

The bay's lanes just feel so akward to me.

Even though i like the bay the most of of the three. lulzz

kirblar

BoE/DS are my two best maps (About 63-66% for both) - I think I tend to do best on maps with "hard" objectives rather than soft (Tomb) ones.

Altairre

Holy crap I think I just lead my first hots game. At first I was pointing out some stuff I thought we could do better and my teammates actually listened to me. At the end I was basically just pinging and telling them what to do and we rushed the enemy team down. Guess watching all those videos and reading all those guides wasn't such a bad idea after all. Probably made some dumb suggestions as well but we were more or less dominating the entire game. Really awesome that my team coordinated with me the way they did.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
They area gone from everything except custom games.

Only for a week though for the moment. It's not live yet in EU either.

That sucks. I honestly like the large pool of maps, keeps things from getting stale.

I'd love if they got rid of every map except Haunted Mines.

Then, modify Haunted Mines so each golem has 50% less health and deals 50% less damage. But, make the mines re-open twice as often. Then, put a third row of towers up with an extra fort, extending the map to make it wider to compensate for the extra line of defense. Finally, ban all supports that aren't Tyrande and Tassadar.

Yoshichan

All part of his ploy to remove all the trash from the game

lol im laughing for the first time today

and i've played like 8 hours of heroes today

alur, when you coming over bro. i wanna play!

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
How come that battlefield of eternity map is so rare? Been playing this game over a week now and have seen every map at least 4-5 times but only 1 time battlefield of eternity and it was on my first day of playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom