• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT| Pretty sure that Abathur is AFK

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't played HotS much since Wildstar relaunched. I played a day or two in the PTR in bot matches so the "live" experience is a bit of a shock.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
oh man, i'm finally getting the hang of things.

Li Li is the first character to really 'click' and i am tempted to spend my 2k gold on her after her free week is up.

i also gave a bunch of heroes a shot in the Try section, and maaaan i want to play bunch of em. Hammer seems real dope, may have to shoot for her soon.

I haven't played HotS much since Wildstar relaunched. I played a day or two in the PTR in bot matches so the "live" experience is a bit of a shock.

what's PTR?

i want to try Wildstar but they still don't have a Mac client :/

Skab

This patch is like playing TF2 when it launched. Everyone everywhere just focusing the tanks and ignoring the medics.

Alur

Have you tried monk with mana trait + medic?

Infinite loop of never dying?

Seems like you'd still get more value out of the heal than the mana regardless as it only affects monk's mana and the heal trait is a huge chunk of your output.

kirblar

I don't think Kharazim + Medic is a good double support team- Monk is like BW in that you don't really want to take extended engagements.

So far my best answer for the medic patch is hard right-click Raynor. You can zone out so many Medic + [insert tank or AA hero name here] combos with his auto-attack range. Just constantly chip away and stutter step back. The most frequent combo I run into is Sonya and Medic, which gets out of control if you can't out-range or dive the medic.

The bonus is, if you get a Stim Drone Medic on your team your a suitable target for their ult.

Soka said:
I plan to troll my team a bunch in solo queueing QM by Drop Shipping into the enemy's core early in a game so we all die. I'll make a compilation video of it.

I like the cut of your jib.

what's PTR?

i want to try Wildstar but they still don't have a Mac client :/

Public Test Realm. In your b.net client there's a region/account drop down field in the bottom lefthand corner. The categories are Live - Americas, Europe and Asia. In Development - PTR: Heroes of the Storm.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
This patch is like playing TF2 when it launched. Everyone everywhere just focusing the tanks and ignoring the medics.

217534009_hZ5oD-L-2-540x270.jpg

Alur

The two and three tank meta that was burgeoning the last few weeks/months is fully here now.

With Stitches and ETC (and some say Chen, though I haven't seen him) now viable again, every game is full of these fuckers. Mage meta stands no chance in pleb games due to the sustain and control. I kinda dig it.

Went 12-4 on the day. 6-2 on medic, 2-0 on Leoric, 4-2 on ETC. Nice to have two new heroes to play cause I haven't played ETC ever really.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I miss Stiches so much. I dont brag about a lot, but i landed hooks like a motherfucker back in the day

Alur

Raynor has been in lots of the games. He seems to be the top assassin ATM for plebs, dunno if that'll hold for competitive, but he's so strong against all the tanks. Milly79 had a good day with him, and proto won a couple too.

Milly79

I don't think you'll see a lot of Butcher. Way too high risk/high reward and he doesn't survive nearly as well as the other options.

Raynor is going to be stupid if this is the new meta going forward. Yeah, there was a lot of double/triple tank comps, but now that everyone aside from Diablo is decent/good... My god. SM + GK + exec + NF and his trait is a bit out there. We were looking at all the options for at least GK/Exec and not too many have them and no one has his base range until 20, right? I can't remember any other heroes with that baked in. Hammer gets an extra 20% at 4, but she's a lot less mobile than Raynor is.

Raynor also has the option of going for the double shotgun stun. He's really great right now. I felt like he was good before he got buffed last patch, but now he's gotten a second round of buffs it feels like.

Milly79

Raynor also has the option of going for the double shotgun stun. He's really great right now. I felt like he was good before he got buffed last patch, but now he's gotten a second round of buffs it feels like.

I would almost venture to say he's a bit op. And probably the #1 assassin.

brian!

I think if drafts lack ways to kill butchy and if two tank two support is the new main thing butcher will have a great time

Raynor's auto-attack range is effective at dealing with a lot of the heroes you'll encounter frequently solo queuing in the medic patch. Plus he can output some pretty good damage with Stim Drone.

kirblar

Quote from Blizzard

Hi all! Regarding early access to Artanis, we've posted the following article:

Artanis will be available in Heroes of the Storm on October 20th for players who pre-purchase StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void, and available for purchase on October 27th. If you've pre-purchased a physical version of Legacy of the Void, you'll be able to contact us on October 20th with proof of purchase to gain early access to Artanis. This promotion will only be valid from October 20th through November 13th.

Note: Customer Service cannot assist with early access for physical pre-purchases until October 20th.
Wow, I'm actually shocked that they're doing this- I thought this was clearly a way to get people to buy straight from them. Def preordering as soon as my BB bux go through.

Rhaknar

Do we know for sure that every copy, not just pre orders, gets Artanis? Like Valla with D3.

I ask because there is no point in me pre ordering any game whatsoever that comes out the same day or anyware close to Fallout 4, but i do want my free Artanis.

Alur

Rhaknar you going in on medic and new Rexxar with the patch or you still farming loots? And Stitches lyfe is good lyfe now.

TxdoHawk

Pretty much. It is one thing when the medic is actually playing smart and positioning well, but I have seen medics stand right next to the dope they are healing and my team will STILL focus the other hero. Or they'll let a beamed enemy hero smoosh their face into an objective over and over again, then wonder why they are losing when none of the three people on the obj refuses to go around and harass the medic away.

Ketch

Rhaknar you going in on medic and new Rexxar with the patch or you still farming loots? And Stitches lyfe is good lyfe now.

stitches is good, rexxar is good, sonya is good, raynor is good. everything is good. lots of fun.

school sucks tho

Also why not buy physical sc2 give proof of purchase then return physical sc2

Rhaknar

No idea. Ill buy the bundle as usual but... yeah. And I havent played Diablo in weeks. Ive been playing a little Wildstar since f2p but real life has been kicking me in the ass lately so not much time for anything really.

Also I'm pretty much in pre-Fallout 4 "I don't care about anything I just want Fallout" mode

As long as you register a copy by a week out from release you'll get him.

I meant if I buy SC2 in december or next year or something

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Can I pre-order the physical edition from any retailer out there and contact customer support to get Artanis?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Yup, just announced. Just need your receipt/proof of purchase/etc.

If you buy in December, no Artanis for you.

Thank you!!

Indignate

Kind of disgusting to lock a hero behind a pre-order for some other game, even for a week. Like, I get why they would do it of course, but it's all kinds of not good.

Even League doesn't do this shit. I think. Maybe. I don't know.

I think Hatsune Miku is disgusting.

Agreed.

Like you I also wear my avatar in honor of a bad character.

Rhaknar

Kind of disgusting to lock a hero behind a pre-order for some other game, even for a week. Like, I get why they would do it of course, but it's all kinds of not good.

I think Hatsune Miku is disgusting.

Ketch

Kind of disgusting to lock a hero behind a pre-order for some other game, even for a week.

So you have to buy SC2 to get artanis for the first week he's available?

If so then I completely totally agree. it's cool if they want to include the hero for free if you pre-order. but getting it a week before it's available to anyone else is total 100% bullshit.

They already kind of lean heavily into cash only purchases of new hero through the PTR, but this is basically charging $40 cash only for the first week on a new hero.

it's super scummy, like super scummy. I wonder if he'll be banned from competitive during that entire time. I hope he would be, and I hope THH roast them for it too.

Alur

it's super scummy, like super scummy.

I hear you and Ketch both, but by the same token the pre-order has been up for, what, two months? If they really wanted to cash in on it they would've said we got the hero for free a week early this whole time...not like two weeks before it drops. Most people won't even know the hero is available to anyone til they release their videos in the client. It's hardly a super hardcore cash grab. Hell it's not even a well coordinated one.

I don't really foresee a whole gaggle of people buying a $40 game to get a hero a week early and never playing said game (LotV) afterwards. Most folks who have pre-ordered did so either for the mount or because they want their expansion. Artanis is just a bonus. It's definitely more on the reward for being a Starcraft player end of the spectrum than it is on the pure cash grab end.

The hero is still dropping for everyone else on the 27th like it would on the regular schedule and datamine. No one is actually losing anything. They didn't push it back a week to give pre-orders a free week, they are simply turning it on a week ahead of time for those who were pre-orders.

I get and agree it's a practice we don't want to see, but it's a $10 hero in a game where the majority of players don't even buy the majority of heroes. Folks like some of us here buying every hero on launch are by far the minority of players. I can't really feel bad or shady at all about getting a hero early considering the money I've spent on this game across my accounts when it doesn't even have an affect on the majority of players.

Rhaknar

Alur, baby, I get liking the game but come on now... dont be that guy :p

Alur

I'm not defending or liking the game. Just because I do like the game has nothing to do with the fact that the hyperbole is a little strong.

It just irks me how everything that happens is like the worst thing that ever happened, or the worst decision, etc. That's more a GAF thing with all games and happenings in RL, in gaming side or OT either one, but I digress.

Blizzard's marketing plan isn't built around trying to bilk out "x" more dollars from Legacy of the Void by gating a Heroes of the Storm hero behind it. One of the two is the bigger game and it's not HOTS. Will it get them some more money? Sure.

Is it really going to be the deciding factor about buying LotV at this point for many people? For a free week? I can't see it considering what we know about F2P games and the people who fund them.

Like I said, I get that we don't want to see it, but scummy? Disgusting? Rly. Tone-deaf? Definitely.

I mean I was never gonna get Artanis day 1 since I'm gonna buy him with gold (his bundled skin looks ugly imo) but this could have been handled better. That means he'll be out for 3 weeks by the time I get him.

And they do sucker out some money with it, you cam be sure every prominent hots streamer will be trying to run him the day he's available

Moff

I'm usually opposed to scummy tactics like that, but I don't mind the artanis early access at all. I actually like how they combine their franchises. I would like it even more if you actually had to work for artanis, though. like finishing the LOTV campaign. like they did with the malthael mount. not really comparable because the mount is only fluff, I know, but still. I wish I could unlock even more characters through achievements in the other franchises games.

Alur

I mean I was never gonna get Artanis day 1 since I'm gonna buy him with gold (his bundled skin looks ugly imo) but this could have been handled better.

Yep, that's what I'm trying to say.

It's completely fucking tone deaf for sure. It's not going to change much either way, though, which is why it's hard for me to call it scummy. It'd be scummy if they'd pushed the release date back, or it was like a month, or we had known this from the day the pre-order went live. Here it's both simple bad PR and also terrible marketing. They can't even cash in on the gated release very much.

I'm usually opposed to scummy tactics like that, but I don't mind the artanis early access at all. I actually like how they combine their franchises. I would like it even more if you actually had to work for artanis, though. like finishing the LOTV campaign. like they did with the malthael mount. not really comparable because the mount is only fluff, I know, but still. I wish I could unlock even more characters through achievements in the other franchises games.

Well they have a new mount gated behind completing something within LotV, we just don't know what yet.

I did like that stuff for the most part in the other games, but I don't (and never have) played Starcraft so we'll see what the requirement is for that. :p

Indignate

It's not even about it being some type of cash grab. It's that there's this hero that is going to show up in comps that I literally can't play myself unless I go drop money on this other thing.

Again, it is only a week, but this hero is straight up behind a paywall that some people will buy into and be able to take advantage of. I think it irks me a bit more since heroes get released in this game straight into ranked, which is the mode that "matters" since it is taken the most competitively.

I'm not going to go boycott the game or anything or make this huge shit post on reddit about it. Just kind of hope this isn't something they do much in the future
good thing Bliz releases games like once every 8 years

Alur

It's not even about it being some type of cash grab. It's that there's this hero that is going to show up in comps that I literally can't play myself unless I go drop money on this other thing.

I agree with you on that and I hadn't considered it that way. I was looking at it from more of the everyman position I guess you'd call it, where today they see me playing Medic or Marshal Raynor or whatever and they didn't have any intention of spending money on that shit anyway and that is how most players are. If they did want to buy Artanis, however, I get where you're coming from a little better.

I think more than anything the fact that it won't be purchasable via the shop like other heroes for one week is going to be confusing as hell for a lot of people. Hope they have something planned to explain that.

I'm not going to go boycott the game or anything or make this huge shit post on reddit about it. Just kind of hope this isn't something they do much in the future
good thing Bliz releases games like once every 8 years

8 years?
dis game wil b ded by next xmas casul

Ketch

Tying it to strictly pre-orders is kind of shady to begin with since pre-orders are already shitty business practice (from the consumer perspective). It wasn't so bad with valla since it was so after the fact. and pre-order bonuses are gonna pre order bonus so you know whatever. and if they want to give a free hero with the game then ok that's cool. The thing (at least for me) that is the great equilizer here is that the consumer still has a choice you know.

If you want to get it day one you can buy the bundle, you can buy just the hero, or you can spend 15k gold. There's maybe a reasonable compromise in there, but you can see how it promotes people to spend as much actual cash as possible. "The best value!" which is fine, as long as it's not egregious.

If the bundle was $40 it would be bullshit. or if the bundle was the only option for the first week it would also be bullshit. And you can say they're a business and they gotta make money. but I don't care because I'm the customer and I don't like it when the business tries to trick me (or other consumers) into spending more money then I want to.

If the hero is ready a week early then release it a week early. If the LOTV bonus is a free hero for the folks who buy SC then a week early doesn't matter. the only reason to do it the way they are is to coerce people into buying something they don't want in order to get something they do want that's not actually worth that money.

It's the digital equivalent of unwanted solicitation. or like the video game equivalent of bundling cable internet with a land line telephone.

HotS business model is terrible and archaic, if I hadn't gotten into the Alpha I likely would not have gotten into the game at all. I avoided League because of its business model, it's just too over whelming to unlock so many heroes.

I like Valve's approach to f2p better. All substantive gameplay elements are free and the game is paid for through hats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom