• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT| Pretty sure that Abathur is AFK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alur

thanks!

after reading a bit i was interested in Malfurion (love healing support) & Johanna (a lot of this pick is aesthetics, tbh).

luckily both are free tonight, so i hope to squeeze some game time in.

the only MOBA i put any real time into was Vainglory and played Catherine there.

Everyone is different with their heroes and what they like. Some like heroes based on play style, some based on aesthetic, some on attachment from their original game. You may have tons of fun playing Malfurion and Johanna, for example. A lot of folks I've played with find those two heroes to be among the blandest of their specific archetypes, however.

If you're looking for the most straightforward three to check out the game for the three main archetypes, they are Lili (support), Valla (assassin), and Muradin (warrior).

Play some AI and level up whoever you want. You can change the difficulty on the left hand side. Even on the hardest AI levels it will become a cakewalk very quickly, though, so once you're comfortable wade into Quick Match with real people if you'd like.

To compare it to Vainglory (which I also play), Valla is kind of like the Koshka of HOTS as far as her place in the balance of the game and ease to pick up. Johanna is not unlike Catherine with a dash of Ardan. Very stun and survival centric. Lili is like a much, much easier Adagio (in some respects) and in general HOTS support are more "heal-centric" than Vainglory support. HOTS support are a lot like MMO support honestly.

Buy murky as soon as you can afford him

But don't do this until you've learned the game a bit and how it is supposed to be played or you'll have a bad time.

Murky is arguably the most fun hero in the game, but he's also both (A) not easy to play well without excessive feeding (dying) and (B) completely unlike anything else in the game due to his death mechanic so he's often hard for new players (and old ones) to understand when being played or having him on their team.

You should definitely give him a look if you stick with the game and enjoy it, however. Plus all of his skins are amazing.

tmtyf

is that 6k gold for $5?

word, thanks

i'm in NA

yea, stimpack gives you bonus xp and gold so get it when you know you can play for a decent amount of time during a week. You can also get the 20$ heroes starter pack from best buy (drops it to like 16$ with 20% off discount) if you enjoy playing.

Im usually on late into the night if you need anybody to play with.

Celegus

thanks!

after reading a bit i was interested in Malfurion (love healing support) & Johanna (a lot of this pick is aesthetics, tbh).

luckily both are free tonight, so i hope to squeeze some game time in.

the only MOBA i put any real time into was Vainglory and played Catherine there.

I just stuck with the free characters each week for the first month or so that I played. You'll unlock two more characters at level 12 and 15 to use, which should be plenty for the time being. Then just buy the ones you really like. The starter pack is a good idea for sure if you do think you'll stick with it. I did end up liking a lot of the characters I like from other Blizzard games, but there's been some pretty nice surprises as well with heroes that just fit my playstyle. I haven't spent any money other than the starter pack, and have never felt the need to whatsoever. I have 35k gold right now and a very nice selection of heroes to choose from, but there are quite a few I know I'll never buy because I don't care for them. Try before you buy!

I'm so pumped to finally check out Rexxar tomorrow, didn't want to mess with him when I knew the bear AI was going to be reworked.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
How is Try Mode being expanded? I must of missed this
Sliders for levels (1-30), training dummy with a 'total damage' and 'damage per second' meter, bruiser and siege camp available!

patchday

coming back from a long break. Did Tyrande get any healing buffs?

I've been gone almost 3 months. Only played like once during that time. Lots has changed.

Last time I played was when Brightwing got nerfed into the ground (or rather, reworked).

Lots of new gorgeous skins. Hopefully tomorrow we get the new medic?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Medic today? My hype fell through the roof somehow but the bundle is already pre-bought so...!

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
had some fun last night

played Rehgar, Valla & Malfurion

only Rehgar really grabbed me. chain heal, lightning shield and wolf mode were all mechanically satisfying.

interested in trying out Li Li this free rotation...

coming back from a long break. Did Tyrande get any healing buffs?

I've been gone almost 3 months. Only played like once during that time. Lots has changed.

Last time I played was when Brightwing got nerfed into the ground (or rather, reworked).

Lots of new gorgeous skins. Hopefully tomorrow we get the new medic?

A new patch should go up today (or a week from today but probably today) which has a nice buff for Tyrande as a healer. I think the feeling is that she isn't as good for healing as some others, but this patch helps her.

Brightwing is decent now. I think they mildly buffed her since her big nerf a few patches ago, but I can't remember clearly.

patchday

A new patch should go up today (or a week from today but probably today) which has a nice buff for Tyrande as a healer. I think the feeling is that she isn't as good for healing as some others, but this patch helps her.

Brightwing is decent now. I think they mildly buffed her since her big nerf a few patches ago, but I can't remember clearly.

Thanks! Tyrande is my main squeeze. So thats excellent news. Feels good to be playing again. I just wanted them to add more heroes. During my break they added like 4 champs (Monk, Leoric, Rexxar, and soon medic). Plus now the elf skins are out for Tyrande & Syl. Super happy

Looks like Nova got no love. Totally left off the list. somethings never change!! I take it she's still considered subpar

Yoshichan

Man, it feels good playing this game again after a long break. Still rocking out Murky and can't possibly imagine playing any other hero... fuck the medic. Which mount is the coolest on Murky?

What's the "auto/slam"-change the tierlist mentions with Sonya?

Milly79

Man, it feels good playing this game again after a long break. Still rocking out Murky and can't possibly imagine playing any other hero... fuck the medic. Which mount is the coolest on Murky?

What's the "auto/slam"-change the tierlist mentions with Sonya?

Slam doesn't put AA on CD. It's instantly after now. Sonya is fucking stupid op.

1up

Just started playing this randomly recently. Is the Starter pack the way to go? I somehow have Diablo and Valla unlocked as well as a dire wolf mount. I'm guessing that's because I own D3 xpacs and wow's current xpac.

I started with Malfurion last week but really enjoy pushing people around with Diablo. Any other characters really fun to play like that?

kirblar

Doesn't Sonya get focused attack/follow through? That sounds incredibly effective for her Slam buff.
She's almost certainly going to need a damage nerf because of the bugfix, she's been balanced around the auto reset for her entire existence.

Yoshichan

Slam doesn't put AA on CD. It's instantly after now. Sonya is fucking stupid op.

So are you telling me that they actually fixed one of the major issues I had with Sonya?
- Her basic attacks are janky as fuck when spamming Seismic Slam
Holy shit. Why did I get her to 10 before this fucking patch... or rather, why didn't they reveal they were buffing her so hard earlier :(

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Accidentally went into QM instead of Coop.

Yup, Medic players are complete trash and don't understand the hero.

I'm looking forward to playing the Medic but I'm assuming she will debut at 15K gold so I'll just wait a few weeks until she comes down to 10K instead. But yeah I expect to see a lot of Medics in games who will be less than stellar....

Milly79

hJEKnYN.jpg

Yoshichan

wtf

edit: anyway, is it confirmed that you get Artanis for buying LotV CE? Or was that just a prediction based on D3:RoS CE (Valla)?

Yoshichan

edit: thanks!

edit 2: fuck it, buying the stupid CE for two reasons. 1: gotta collect'em all. 2: dat heroes mount tho

kirblar

Double post:

Artanis Coming 20 Oct. for LotV Pre-orders
This patch is likely only going to be 6 weeks- it appears to have been delayed in order to avoid messing up EU finals, and now they're releasing hero #2 early in order to try and combat Best Buy GCU's awesomeness.

Yoshichan

A full week before regular launch? WOW, that's insane.

Wait, wait, wait... how does pre-ordering a physical edition from other retailers work? Would I get a digital code from them or what?

Zafir

A full week before regular launch? WOW, that's insane.

Wait, wait, wait... how does pre-ordering a physical edition from other retailers work? Would I get a digital code from them or what?
^ This?

I mean, if they did do it through like a digital code, that would mean you could just cancel your pre-order and get a free hero.

Otherwise, retail purchases are going to be without the hero for 3 weeks until their retail copies arrive. :I

kirblar

I'm hearing Gazlowe + Robo ult + Stimpack does some very silly things right now. (slicing/dicing immortals/bosses in near-0 time)

TxdoHawk

Leoric still up there big-time. I thought the damage nerf to Q was going to take some wind out of his sails, but he's still doing well and nothing changed with his insane sustain capability....which probably means he's going to get socked with the nerf bat again next patch.

I'm hearing Gazlowe + Robo ult + Stimpack does some very silly things right now. (slicing/dicing immortals/bosses in near-0 time)

That's hilarious, but will probably be nerfed quick-like with a hotfix.

I kind of wish they'd give Gaz some patch love, I don't think he's nearly as bad as everyone thinks but he could definitely use a tiny push. The changes they made to him last time were good ideas but not quite enough.

I'm surprised Tychus is so low. Tychus has got a lot of tools to do well solo queue. Sustain, mobility, sustained damage, a bit of burst, right click build, two decent ults. He's also really good on the Diablo maps.

Alur

Ketch had an amazing Stitches game earlier. Was like old times.

Been playing Medic. Still fun. Her heroics still feel like "added bonus when winning" instead of "you should use this to help change the game" like other heroics feel.

New ETC gud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom