• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT| Pretty sure that Abathur is AFK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Buff(s) to medic might come
@DustinBrowder
Medic win rate is a little low. Balance team thinking about a small health buff.

Alur

I'm firmly anti-in game VOIP as well, though I've seen a few people like kirblar and THH folks saying it's necessary. I just don't see how the little bit of good it will bring where it's needed (lower end games for coordination) will outweigh the absolutely huge amount of BM and uselessness it will create. And frankly I don't want to talk to 4 random strangers every game I play in, or feel like I am required to.

That said, they are working on it as of an interview they did earlier this year. IIRC they talked about having it by the end of this year so maybe we'll hear more about it at Blizzcon or something. /shrug

I do find it hilarious that they are working on VOIP when they went into Beta still unsure if they should even leave text based chat activated. Seems like an odd decision after the fact.

Maledict

I'm firmly anti-in game VOIP as well, though I've seen a few people like kirblar and THH folks saying it's necessary. I just don't see how the little bit of good it will bring where it's needed (lower end games for coordination) will outweigh the absolutely huge amount of BM and uselessness it will create. And frankly I don't want to talk to 4 random strangers every game I play in, or feel like I am required to.

That said, they are working on it as of an interview they did earlier this year. IIRC they talked about having it by the end of this year so maybe we'll hear more about it at Blizzcon or something. /shrug

I do find it hilarious that they are working on VOIP when they went into Beta still unsure if they should even leave text based chat activated. Seems like an odd decision after the fact.

So much of the game has shifted from the original aim of a casual only MOBA though. Now they are ushing it as an e-sport insanely, far harder than any other game Blizzard has done this with. That's a big leap considering they wouldn't recognise tournaments back in tech alpha...

Have to give them credit for doing a fundamental change of approach for the game as its gone through development.

Ketch

I think it's much more needed in the higher skill games, and will be abused way more for far worse effects (new players quitting the game) in low skill games.

Making it party only or opt in for hero league or only available in grandmaster rank HL or something similar is the best use. But who knows.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
yeah VOIP and e-sports are like the last two things i want in this game

keep shit light and casual, like Smash the MOBA... last thing i want is to talk to random people online

Alur

I've only seen the one quote about them working on it, it was to some website somewhere in beta I believe. Someone should tweet Browder and see where they are at with it.

We all know Blizzard and Soon (TM), plus they also change their minds. This is one feature I would like them to change their mind about.

If they wanna do in game VOIP, I bet the most they'd do is partner with Curse Voice and recommend that in the client, it works well for Smite and makes opting in and out very clear. Plus you don't run into issues with some people having horrible performance problems whenever someone talks in DotA 2 if they're on lower end systems.
I'd like them to make an actual reconnect system, though, before making VOIP integration.

Alur

It was in a Q&A from the audience with Chris Sigaty and Alan Dabiri at the ANZ Live Launch Event. The article the quote is contained in comes from Silicon Sports.

Siliconsports.net said:
Q: Will we ever have ingame voice chat?

A: Yes, ingame voice chat is currently being worked on internally and we expect it to be live before the end of this year.

It is worth noting that Dustin Browder contradicted this to some degree in an interview with Icy-Veins at Gamescom two months later:

Icy-Veins.com said:
Heroes isn't friendly to typing for communication - would you consider built-in voice comms like StarCraft?

We'd love to add integrated voice communication. The StarCraft system was moderately successful, but not a lot of players ended up using it - quality of the codec was a concern. Lots of players are using Mumble/Skype. I agree with the feedback, but we don't have a timetable for something like this.

So maybe it really is Soon (TM) and not by the end of the year.

kirblar

Obv has to be opt-in only.

E-Sports is huge for promoting these games- see what it does for LoL/DOTA. They know they need that presence.

Alur

Yeah the esports tie in, Twitch viewership of tournaments (and in general to some degree), and the eyeballs and "free" advertisement it brings is huge to keeping this game going long term.

Whatever their previous mistakes in esports may be, they seem to have had someone in marketing or from outside the company give them a CTJ about how important this is to succeed in the genre.

yeah VOIP and e-sports are like the last two things i want in this game

keep shit light and casual, like Smash the MOBA... last thing i want is to talk to random people online

At least this is a game that makes sense as an esport. They try to make Hearthstone an esport after they tried to make it not an esport with a set of RNG cards.

kirblar

At least this is a game that makes sense as an esport. They try to make Hearthstone an esport after they tried to make it not an esport with a set of RNG cards.
The RNG cards are pushed because of the lack of a variable resource system. It takes an enormous amount of variance out that has resulted in massive problems in TCGs like VS system where you'd get one player winning literally every game by curving out. (Case in point: My 78% Arena winrate on the play vs my 60-something one on the draw.)

Maledict

Its the distortion beam talent. It turns your attack into a DoT, and it does the damage at the start of the animation. so by stop / starting your attack, you can very quickly do a lot of damage.

So, take an out of game program that allows you to attack / not attack hundreds of times a second, and he instant kills things.

Alur

Don't give me voip

SmAc3pA.gif

What happens if I preorder LoTV from amazon, save the receipt, contact Blizzard customer support for Artanis and cancel my preorder?

Looks like Fan topped the NA charts with a smurf playing Zeratul

Play aba, get called out by team who dies all the time and all of their deaths are my fault of course...

that's just par for the course playing Aby with bad players

Alur

Just played against an Abathur who hatted his teammates and/or monstrosity in the middle of the lane with us in it like 3 times. Didn't even try to save himself.

The1Ski

Hey all! Took some time off from the game (split around the time Johanna dropped). Just got a little burnt out.

So what's good these days!? New characters look cool. Haven't paid any attention to patch notes in awhile. What's the word? At the top of the page I saw discussion of staleness and what not.

kirblar

Just played Medic + Hammer on BoE.

That was fun. Saw the lock-in Medic on the bottom, frowned, then read the map, smiled, and grabbed hammer 4th pick. Other team 1st picked Raynor but didn't back him up with anything. People meeeeellt when you have giant killer and the auto attack buffs.

Ketch

I think that farming stacks of SM on illidan in competitive could be a thing.

im surprised glaurang at least hasn't tried it yet.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Me too. Yoshichan it's ok bb, you can come back now!

YAY! I got it as well :D!

+ the "Play 8 games"-daily to boot!

Yoshichan

Matchmaking wants me to torch my house today.

3 games with terrible novas and one medic that medivac 4 man in a invulnerable core...

Edit : And AGAIN a Nova, delete this hero blizzard plz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom