• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT| Pretty sure that Abathur is AFK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ketch

wow. TS playing like crap.

i like their team comp, but they're talent builds are dumb. Like they decided to do something specific, but are just using general talent builds that don't back up their strategy. Why would get ultimate evolution here? You're going hat build, and you dont have any good targets to clone... so you lose all that hat time to clone garbage. No ability damage reduction on chen, no combat stance to dive, panda pals vs chain bomb? come on.

half assed damage build on tass, no force wall vs these super imobile targets.

kirblar

Dread needs to not play Karazhim until they know how to use SSS on him (aka isolate someone with it.) It's wasted every single time I see him use Kara cause he drops it on a group.

Ketch

yes that is also trash bad! like divine palm is could actually be used here to great effect. chain bomb, life drain, phoenix...all get pretty decent countered by d palm.

I feel like talent builds in pro games it stuck in the mud because people dont have the balls to play non standard.

kirblar

yes that is also trash bad! like divine palm is could actually be used here to great effect. chain bomb, life drain, phoenix...all get pretty decent countered by d palm.

I feel like talent builds in pro games it stuck in the mud because people dont have the balls to play non standard.
I think they need SSS here for the damage for sure, but it's useless on Dread.

Venus Van Dam

Neo Member
Hey guys can you clarify if there is some real vantage killing a hero at the early stages of the game? The low amount of XP from the hero killed worth the risk to engage?

kirblar

Hey guys can you clarify if there is some real vantage killing a hero at the early stages of the game? The low amount of XP from the hero killed worth the risk to engage?
Since the TSQ patch the XP is no longer low at level 3/4+ till 10 (and it's even higher relative to minion kills on the TSQ map itself, where wave EXP was reduced to encourage gankery.)

Ketch

I think they need SSS here for the damage for sure, but it's useless on Dread.

I don't disagree necessarily, but I don't think I would have gone SSS. And you're point illustrates the trap they put themselves in.

Like I think the general strategy for that comp on that map is split push/soak with abathur and then stand on shrines with sustain and dive KT/jaina with your warriors when you get the chance.

and then you can correctly say lets get SSS because we need the damage, but it just throws your stand on shrine/sustain strategy out the window.

so your damned if you do, damned if you don't. but at least if you go for the sustain build your sticking to your plan.

Ketch

well then they made the wrong choice in drafting that comp.

it's 6 of one, half dozen of the other. play to your comps strengths, or draft to your teams strengths.

edit: also I wouldn't say SSS is dreadnaughts strength.

edit: I also dont think they're draft was bad. When you're playing C9 you should probably draft to avoid teamfights, which is kind of what they did (look at team blaze win over c9 on cursed hallow). It's too fucking hard to beat c9 in team fights.

kirblar

Oh , I think it's something they actively need to avoid because he's terrible at using it. It's a weakness they need to work around.

Ketch

Oh , I think it's something they actively need to avoid because he's terrible at using it. It's a weakness they need to work around.

oh my bad, I thought you were saying pick SSS to playin into teams strength when obviously you meant DON'T go SSS because it's a weakness.

Altairre

Man I picked a good time to learn Sonya it seems. The hero damage is just dumb especially late game. I usually go ferocious healing and ignore pain so she can take quite a beating as well especially when the other team doesn't have a stun. Just topped hero damage in a game with two assassins and a Nazeebo. That Wrath of Berserker uptime is crazy.

Ketch

Hmm.

I still dont see how Tassadar is back to Top Tier with his changes, though. Do you need a bulky AF team like they had for him to work?

Because the shield is so OP now. He can keep a squishy up for a whole fight by himself and you can't kill him either so.... It's pretty good

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
how would i go about controlling the camera by just moving the mouse around?

instead of doing this via clicking the minimap and dragging, could i hold down a button that makes the camera pan as i move the mouse?

Zafir

I don't think there's a way to pan w/o using the mouse? At least not that I know of.

You use the arrow keys, or bind the camera move keys to something else.

I for example have camera bound to wasd. I still corner pan as well, but I just like having camera controls on wasd.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
You use the arrow keys, or bind the camera move keys to something else.

I for example have camera bound to wasd. I still corner pan as well, but I just like having camera controls on wasd.

how did you bind the camera move keys?

Hmm.

I still dont see how Tassadar is back to Top Tier with his changes, though. Do you need a bulky AF team like they had for him to work?

his shield is obnoxious, and that's pretty much why

They shifted Tassadar's main source of power from Archon -> Shield. This did two things. First it made him more consistently powerful versus power spike-ish as his shields are a low-cooldown ability and he's not relying on a long-cooldown Archon to be effective in engagements. In a game that at the competitive level seems to be more about consistent skirmishes than full-commit teamfights these days, that's quite important. Second it makes Force Wall viable because Tassadar's power is now in his base kit and not almost solely in his R and lategame E talents.

Force Wall is amazing against certain heroes and compositions, making Tass an even more flexible and reliable pick. But Tassadar could never take it in the past because he was balanced around how insanely powerful Archon was.

Force Wall was like Divine Shield was for so long. Always a pretty good skill but the hero it belonged to was balanced around their other heroic which had such an insane amount of power (for uther it was Sprint + big radius DStorm) that if that hero didn't take said other heroic, that hero was bad because their base kit wasn't good enough; essentially, the hero was being saved by their imbalanced heroic. Blizzard removed Sprint from Uther and nerfed D-Storm but increased the power of Uther's ghost and lategame talents, baking more power into his base kit rather than in the D-Storm combo. This let players pick D shield without feeling underpowered and now it's widely seen as one of the best skills in the game.

If Blizzard buffed D-storm a smidge and nerfed his ghost a little bit I think Uther would be in an awesome place. Right now hes kind of imba.

As for Tass I think Blizzard did the only thing they could. I think it's kind of boring and it would have been way more interesting if they had re-designed his talent tree to let you pick a more support or assassin spec but it's clear that they didn't want to make him more support-based through talents only because then they'd still be running into the QM queue composition problem if somebody didn't pick the support talents in a game. That being said their changes were very effective with regards to giving him a more balanced curve of power and giving him two viable choices at level 10, which should be their goal for every hero.

-Digits-

Uh, that's weird... print screen and link the picture here in this thread (cover up all the important info).

This is the email I got 2 hours after sending my ticket in:

I replied to them and linked to their blogpost about it and they sorted me out. I received a confirmation mail just now. Thanks!

Guys what do I do. I just started playing this over the weekend and it's my first moba. I'm playing Tassadar as I enjoy healing/support roles. Is quick match really the only option available to play? Apparently for ranked I need to be like a pro. This is weird since Hearthstone doesn't gate ranked behind anything. So I just grind quick match forever until I get 10k from the level up rewards and I can buy a real character?

TDLink

Guys what do I do. I just started playing this over the weekend and it's my first moba. I'm playing Tassadar as I enjoy healing/support roles. Is quick match really the only option available to play? Apparently for ranked I need to be like a pro. This is weird since Hearthstone doesn't gate ranked behind anything. So I just grind quick match forever until I get 10k from the level up rewards and I can buy a real character?

Yeah just play Quick Match. Don't treat ranked as some holy thing, it's not really much different from Quick Match anyways. You will unlock it eventually. If you like healing/support Tassadar is kind of not the best starting option since he doesn't actually heal. Not all heroes are 10k. Malfurion is only 2k, although he is free for a week starting tomorrow so I don't recommend buying him until you try him. Li Li is also only 2k.

My strategy for getting gold so far is to level each character to 5 and then switch to a different character. At level 5 on each character you get 500 gold. Any levels you gain on a free character are maintained. So if they come back around on another free week or you buy the character you do not have to start over on them. Also make sure you do the daily quests, which can get you between 200 and 800 gold a day depending on what they are. They usually only require you to play a few games. This way you also get to try out the whole cast anyways and find characters you actually like so you know what you want to buy.

There's also a starter pack for $5 real money that comes with Malfurion, Raynor, and Muradin which I don't think is a bad buy if you don't mind spending some sort of real cash on the game.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
1 DAY ARTANIS HYPE

Pratfall

They gate ranked because, unlike in hearthstone, if you don't fully understand the game, you bring down 4 other players.

They gate ranked because, unlike in hearthstone, if you don't fully understand the game, you bring down 4 other players.

Does rank give anything (perhaps also unlike HS)?

Edit: Also, quick match queues are insanely long. Not to mention the weird loading time for a match as well.

Yeah just play Quick Match. Don't treat ranked as some holy thing, it's not really much different from Quick Match anyways. You will unlock it eventually. If you like healing/support Tassadar is kind of not the best starting option since he doesn't actually heal. Not all heroes are 10k. Malfurion is only 2k, although he is free for a week starting tomorrow so I don't recommend buying him until you try him. Li Li is also only 2k.

My strategy for getting gold so far is to level each character to 5 and then switch to a different character. At level 5 on each character you get 500 gold. Any levels you gain on a free character are maintained. So if they come back around on another free week or you buy the character you do not have to start over on them. Also make sure you do the daily quests, which can get you between 200 and 800 gold a day depending on what they are. They usually only require you to play a few games. This way you also get to try out the whole cast anyways and find characters you actually like so you know what you want to buy.

There's also a starter pack for $5 real money that comes with Malfurion, Raynor, and Muradin which I don't think is a bad buy if you don't mind spending some sort of real cash on the game.

Tassadar has shields and a healing totem though. Also wall is amazing. If this isn't a support char, what is? o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom