• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT| Pretty sure that Abathur is AFK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ketch

You can also get haunting wave refills withering fire at 4 and just jump over the walls in the mines. You can collect every other camp as fast or faster then the rest of the players will get the middle two big camps. All in a fraction of the time it takes you to do any amount of significant damage to a fort on your own... Not to mention they're going to come defend it and then you've wasted your prime asset on the map. Haunted mines is not about split pushing, it's a race to see which team can do objectives faster. First mines phase determines the game 9 times out of 10, even after they made the changes.

Winning the game is entirely more valuable then 1/6 of a forts hp, or being able to 1v1 people? As sylvanas? On haunted mines?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
20151024_141253htsl7.jpg

Took me over 400 to get into a quick match on the weekend. Doesn't inspire confidence. :/

Alur

Took me over 400 to get into a quick match on the weekend. Doesn't inspire confidence. :/

You're worrying over nothing. The issues lie in the matchmaking itself and the last patch introduced some fix for lower end play due to something going wrong with the queues there. Clearly it hasn't fixed the issue, along with their seeming to be some kind of reintroduction or deletion of the games played/account level matchmaking rule.

What you are playing is also a huge factor. If you're queuing as assassin in the lower end, it's probably gonna be a wait, just like in any MMO ever. If you're queuing as a warrior at most tiers after this last balance patch, it's gonna be a wait. If you're queuing as a group with some off the wall combo where a role is stacked, it will also increase the wait, etc.

tl;dr: just because I brought it up on the forums based on a reddit post or two doesn't mean it's an actual issue. the point was that it was not, not to get more people worried about it.

EDIT: Like I said previously, unless you've been winning 60-70% of your games thus far (your first 20-50 matches) in QM, you are probably in a lower bracket. If you've only played a few QM period you're just playing players from all ranges still which is a whole other issue. The vast, vast majority of players are there in those lower end brackets, so the issue is not having players...it's why is the matchmaking not providing matches quicker for them and taking more time at the top end...instead of going in reverse. This issue did not exist until recently, as it used to be very quick at the low end and up to 6 minutes at the high end, however now high end players are getting thrown into mixed MMR games and (based on the patch notes) lower end players are being stalled in the queue somehow.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Been gone two days

Someone please update me with the essentials

Ronabo

I dunno man. This game does feel like it's dying. No one joins the GAF room much anymore. Every since they made HL for max 2 ppl it's not been as popular for me.

Alur

I dunno man. This game does feel like it's dying. No one joins the GAF room much anymore. Every since they made HL for max 2 ppl it's not been as popular for me.

mOC6ayW.gif

The GAF channel has been dying a slow death since the end of Alpha thanks to groups. Once you've found your dudes or gals you play with regularly it's not of much use and you have to manually turn it on to see it in game...which most people don't realize so no one ever catches any of the messages. As for the HL YMMV. Sure as hell made the mode a lot more enjoyable for me and I typically play in a trio so we can only HL if one of us isn't around. Don't think either thing has much correlation to actual population issues or lack thereof.

I'm still amazed we are even talking about this like it's a real thing. I could see the argument if it was "Blizzard isn't near the # of playerbase it wants to be" being valid speculation, but the argument that a few poorly matchmade games pulled out extreme of scenarios = population issues? Da fuq. I don't know how we get there when matchmaking has been their #1 topic of discussion and exploration as a design team for quite some time now.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
mO.gif

The GAF channel has been dying a slow death since the end of Alpha thanks to groups. Once you've found your dudes or gals you play with regularly it's not of much use and you have to manually turn it on to see it in game...which most people don't realize so no one ever catches any of the messages. As for the HL YMMV. Sure as hell made the mode a lot more enjoyable for me and I typically play in a trio so we can only HL if one of us isn't around. Don't think either thing has much correlation to actual population issues or lack thereof.

I'm still amazed we are even talking about this like it's a real thing. I could see the argument if it was "Blizzard isn't near the # of playerbase it wants to be" being valid speculation, but the argument that a few poorly matchmade games pulled out extreme of scenarios = population issues? Da fuq. I don't know how we get there when matchmaking has been their #1 topic of discussion and exploration as a design team for quite some time now.

I only lurk this thread and I haven't played in a few weeks, but this game's community growth is pretty slow. HS found its giant population because there was little competition for that style of ccg. Mobas are plentiful and even the things hots does to distinguish itself don't make it feel that fresh. Once Overwatch hits this week hots is gonna take a big hit. Blizzcon needs to drop some bombs.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Yeah. You ready bro? RIP HOTS for a week.

And Artanis is good. Not the best hero, but certainly good.
More ready than ever man. God daaamn.

Maledict

I like him as a damage dealer, but he only gets good at 16 with the short teleport on twin blades

That's because he's bugged currently and will do double damage on his triple strike with zealot charge.. It's a very easy bug to activate, you can easily do it without realising.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Artanis is a good hero, and while he certainly isn't the best warrior I do find his playstyle very fun. He might actually be one of my favorite warriors to play.

Sgt. Hammer still remains my absolute favorite hero to play though.

Ketch

I only lurk this thread and I haven't played in a few weeks, but this game's community growth is pretty slow. HS found its giant population because there was little competition for that style of ccg. Mobas are plentiful and even the things hots does to distinguish itself don't make it feel that fresh. Once Overwatch hits this week hots is gonna take a big hit. Blizzcon needs to drop some bombs.

Again, where are you getting your information?

Very late to the discussion but according to this they have 6 million active players?

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2015-10-13-heroes-fate-is-tied-closely-to-the-success-of-activision

Obviously, it is far too early to compare Heroes to the number one game in the category. With a monthly active user count of just over 6 million only a few months after launch, Heroes may not seem like much compared to a titan like League of Legends. But consider for a moment that it took League almost two years (21 months) to get to that same level of player activity. Valve's Dota 2 took even longer: 33 months. In those terms, Heroes is currently outperforming everyone.

J-Tier

I don't even know why anyone would entertain the idea that the game has a small player base, based on such weak "evidence".

what are you even talking about

Like 10 people are getting overwatch access this week.

TDLink

what are you even talking about

Like 10 people are getting overwatch access this week.

Yeah. I also don't agree that Overwatch and HOTS have exactly the same audience. I'm sure there is some crossover but I think the two games will largely be appealing to different sets of people.

Celegus

Yeah. I also don't agree that Overwatch and HOTS have exactly the same audience. I'm sure there is some crossover but I think the two games will largely be appealing to different sets of people.

Maybe I'm an outlier, but I left SC2 for Diablo 3 and then D3 to HotS primarily. And Hearthstone on the side since beta. My PC is basically just a Blizzard box. Overwatch could very well cannibalize my HotS time.

TDLink

Maybe I'm an outlier, but I left SC2 for Diablo 3 and then D3 to HotS primarily. And Hearthstone on the side since beta. My PC is basically just a Blizzard box. Overwatch could very well cannibalize my HotS time.

Sure, there are definitely Blizzard hardcore like you. And that is a percentage of the game population. But Blizzard's games are pretty diversified. I think HOTS as a MOBA appeals to fans of Blizzard's RTS games as well as other MOBA fans. I also think World of Warcraft has some crossover with those but not necessarily everyone crosses over. Overwatch is even further away from Blizzard's other games. I still think a lot of Blizzard fans will give it a chance but it's trying to appeal to a different audience too. And Overwatch coming out isn't going to kill HOTS.

patchday

Anyone got any tips for players that wish to do fairly well in Hero League? [edit] Links to a video or popular streamer I need to follow?

I've been around since "release" but I might not be aware of some advanced strategies. For example, our team lost last night because we tried to take the Boss objective on the enemy's side. A teammate was saying thats a big no-no.

Also- any tips for good team compositions?

Assume I'm familiar with basic concepts for beginners as discussed on this page. What I'm looking for is a guide describing the current "meta" (LoL players know what I mean there- whereas a good team comp is 1 jungler, 1 top lane (usually tank), 1 mid (usually mage), 2 bottom lane (1 support, 1 Carry).

brian!

wca qualifier: http://www.twitch.tv/wcaeurope

Anyone got any tips for players that wish to do fairly well in Hero League? [edit] Links to a video or popular streamer I need to follow?

I've been around since "release" but I might not be aware of some advanced strategies. For example, our team lost last night because we tried to take the Boss objective on the enemy's side. A teammate was saying thats a big no-no.

Assume I'm familiar with basic concepts for beginners as discussed on this page. What I'm looking for is a guide describing the current "meta" (LoL players know what I mean there- whereas a good team comp is 1 jungler, 1 top lane (usually tank), 1 mid (usually mage), 2 bottom lane (1 support, 1 Carry).

things like lane assignments, while a real thing, have yet to be standardized in casual play, I wouldn't worry so much about it. standard team comps, especially at lower levels, only two questions: do we have a warrior and do we have a healer
wouldn't worry about actual strong comps (which favors picking up strong warriors and supports atm), and the game is tending away from the "strongest at role" style of league, learning a hero's kit and deciding what works in a comp is pretty important vs. what roles do we need to stay meta
check this list out for a list of effective solo q heroes: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dHrNgcsNqg3Doe0ZciPvCY4SnWdboC-QXrpgxS7gFMs/edit?pli=1. but obviously lots of situations where a tier 3 pick is better than a tier 1 pick, etc.

zuna did really good game commentaries like earlier in the year, but they are completely outdated, I haven't really seen any good teaching streamers outside of him and the current environment for him isn't really one where he can stream and not get hazed or something so

it'll be hard to find a decent streamer w/ blizzcon incoming

you can check out dreadnaught's content, he explains things well but he doesn't go too much into things like matchups and map specific things to do
_____

first pick tyrael Kreygasm

Alur

Hero League: this guide from Team Liquid is a good primer that people often link to.

I don't what we can give you for tips without specific scenarios however. I mean, you seem to already have the basics down: you need to be competent or better with at least 2 tanks, 2 healers, and probably 3-4 assassins.

The most successful people seem to approach HL in one of two ways: filling the role the team needs OR is the strongest on that specific map (such as Sylvanas on Mines or Jo/Leo on Infernal Shrines before the changes)...or, narrowing your pool down to 3 or 4 heroes that you are very good at and only pick those heroes unless the draft order requires you to pick something different.

I've had success with both, but more success filling than narrowing the pool as for whatever reason I regularly get last pick or second to last.

As to the meta, I feel it's kind of formless and shifting in HOTS whether I'm watching pro level streamers or playing at my level when it comes to Hero League. It only seems hard and fast in actual pro games. I don't play at the top end in HL (~3k MMR), but there it seems people go for whatever is strongest on a tier list/power standpoint versus whatever actually makes the most sense. For example. there's still a hardcore adherence to the "mage meta" where you'll see one team take Jaina/KT/another ranged and then get bodied by Sonya and co. You will regularly see a team chock full of CC face a team with little to none (often the mage team) and it goes just like you'd expect.

You pretty much have to focus on you in there because you have very little input into how the comp forms. You can merely send it in a direction if you are first pick, or adapt to whatever is picked if you aren't.

The #1 golden rule for Hero League, though: if a new hero just released, avoid HL for a few days cause people will shit up your games trying to learn how to play it at the cost of your rank. Also goes without saying that it's not even worth questioning someone's play in chat, as 8/10 times it's gonna result in them going on tilt and getting even worse, hurting the team even more.

As for the boss thing, in general when you take one boss on Cursed Hollow you can easily go get the other or force a fight at it because the enemy has to either (A) go defend the boss that's definitely going to kill their fort/keep therefore conceding you the second boss or (B) stay and fight and hope they get this second boss...but your first boss already killed their fort/keep. It's a win-win for you unless you manage to get yourself wiped.

Taking their boss first is more risky, naturally, but like Familie said you need to know that they have 3 people top lane, or two people dead and rezzing in 10 secs, or what have you. Just general map awareness.

brian!

yeah a really good thing to think about for solo q is ways to fill your team's lacks, and if you are higher up in the pick order, to pick things that check off several boxes

sonya not even touched in this draft, no ban no pick

brian!

pay2win indeed

fnatic has a great comp, but arthas/bw can do a lot to shut it down

sanct is a weird pickup when your entire thing is to get past the front line and kill raynor
well actually it could work ok and you can also kind of protect valla with it, but judgement seems a lot more useful here to me

el druin's swag Kreygasm

Haha, this is awesome. Hearthstone Card owners truly the master race.

Of the 20k gold mounts, surprised Treasure Goblin is so popular versus the others since it's ugly as sin.
I actually use it pretty regularly, but use the coin more

I use the goblin on every hero that can equip it. It is by far the best mount.

Alur

He said he might do winrates on hero skins for each hero...that would be awesome.

Can finally prove Explorer Lili is the worst skin not only visually, but from a competitive standpoint as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom