• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT| Pretty sure that Abathur is AFK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alur

Wasn't he on THH not too far back? Guess they had to do something to move forward, but I'd wait til after Blizzcon to announce and see who else gets dropped and reshuffles if it were me.

RIP B A R R E L B O Y S. Good night sweet prince.

TDLink

Level every character to 5. It can be done fairly quickly and you get 500 gold per character at level 5. Leveling gets much longer after that so I don't recommend going further unless you like the character. But playing around with all the characters lets you figure out which ones you like anyways.

Milly79

Wasn't he on THH not too far back? Guess they had to do something to move forward, but I'd wait til after Blizzcon to announce and see who else gets dropped and reshuffles if it were me.

RIP B A R R E L B O Y S. Good night sweet prince.

Blinks? I think so. This post is kind of confusing considering I don't see it mentioned above. Maybe I'm blind. :lol

Werd

Like I said I took a break and haven't been following for ~6-8 weeks. Has there been a particularly good tournament I should check out some VoDs on?

Ketch

haunted mines is like the bonus stage from street fighter, but not the good one where you beat the shit out of a car, the shitty one where the barrels fall down on you and you keep getting knocked over and then you have 4 teammates there who are probably dumb as shit. I just want to play the regular game you know.

TDLink

haunted mines is like the bonus stage from street fighter, but not the good one where you beat the shit out of a car, the shitty one where the barrels fall down on you and you keep getting knocked over and then you have 4 teammates there who are probably dumb as shit. I just want to play the regular game you know.

Haunted Mines is definitely my least favourite as well, for whatever reason. I'm not really sure how to fix it though.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Level every character to 5. It can be done fairly quickly and you get 500 gold per character at level 5. Leveling gets much longer after that so I don't recommend going further unless you like the character. But playing around with all the characters lets you figure out which ones you like anyways.

Thanks! Will take that info into advisement!

Altairre

Is the strategy on HM with Sylvanas to have her push while the rest of the team gets skulls? That's what I see on some of the hero league streams I watch (I'm only lvl 25 right now). How does the Tassadar come into play? I'm curious.

Milly79

Is the strategy on HM with Sylvanas to have her push while the rest of the team gets skulls? That's what I see on some of the hero league streams I watch (I'm only lvl 25 right now). How does the Tassadar come into play? I'm curious.

Maybe at lower levels, but Syl typically comes in the Mines around my MMR. Tassadar is great for his shields on buildings and the Mule.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

It doesn't sound like a bad strategy. I find on mines it's incredibly helpful to at least drain the towers of as much ammo as possible before the first golem, since the towers generally do most of the damage to the golem early on.

If you have Sylvanas just blow the towers up, even better.

Altairre

Oh, maybe. I've always went in to help. People will typically come out to defend you, so I don't really see the point unless you can push them back.

That's probably the deciding factor. People did not defend Sylvanas in those games because they were busy in mines. The Sylv team usually just went for enough skulls to have the golem at about the same strength, 40 - 55 for the most part and then they went out. That's the thing I never see in my matches because people always go for the big guy even if they just die for it.

On solo queue, I commonly guide our team to bail out of mines if the enemies are contesting it and we already have 40+ skulls. Wiping down there when you have a tied golem isn't worth it. Better to farm XP, mercenaries, and to get into positipn/soak some tower ammo while the enemy team wastes time catching up in the mines.

Ketch

Sylvanas clears the whole damn mines so fast that's it's stupid not to get skulls with her, the whole thing is like custom made for her kit. She can do the work of four people in less time.

Enter the mines, avoid fights, suck up all the skulls, exit mines when contested, steal enemy siege giants as they're doing the golem and push hard.

If you can get at least 40 skulls and steal enemy Giants and cap your Giants at the right time (right when the boss crosses the enemies last gate) then you just win. And you can do all of that by yourself as sylvanas. It's so broken. As long as your team is not completely retarded you can solo that map as sylvanas.

I won a Hero League game today with Abathur when I really shouldn't have played him. I was last pick and the Zeratul and Muradin asked me if I had Abathur, shockingly. It actually worked really well, I shouldn't have done it though.

Vanillalite

you unlock all talents for a given character quickly, at character level 4

player level gives you gold early on, which is good to buy a couple more characters you enjoy

also, i'm down for that
jonbones#1233

Getting on now and will add you.

If anyone else wants to play non ranked with a noob LuLu add me. Same as my GAF name.

Vanillalite#1349

Vanillalite

Lmfao

We were all low ranked compared to them, but it's stupid how team comp murdered them.

We had a healer. They didn't.

GG

Speaking of rank imbalance, one time I was in a full team with my friends, after 5 minutes of quick match searching, game pit us against a team comprised of 5 Korean hero league rank 1s (I play on Asian server btw). We've had a rank 5 among us, but the result was still a massacre, thirty something kills versus our none, thanks Blizzard!

Vanillalite

Seems like this game needs unranked draft badly.

Having quick match be what it is your stuck with a round robin of teammates that especially at low levels where I am at can be horrible team comps.

Seems like the main reason my team comp isn't shitty is cause I'm one of THOSE people that likes to play support.

On the same token it feels like I win my games at load in cause our team comp is better 9/10 times at this level so we always eventually roll.

Seems like this game needs unranked draft badly.

Having quick match be what it is your stuck with a round robin of teammates that especially at low levels where I am at can be horrible team comps.

Seems like the main reason my team comp isn't shitty is cause I'm one of THOSE people that likes to play support.

On the same token it feels like I win my games at load in cause our team comp is better 9/10 times at this level so we always eventually roll.

Totally agree. Tyrande was my bae from like day one and that made QM a nightmare when you could get matched against a team with a Rehgar or an Uther when Tyrande had absolutely no chance at being a solo healer.

Slayerx

Very late to the discussion but according to this they have 6 million active players?

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2015-10-13-heroes-fate-is-tied-closely-to-the-success-of-activision

Obviously, it is far too early to compare Heroes to the number one game in the category. With a monthly active user count of just over 6 million only a few months after launch, Heroes may not seem like much compared to a titan like League of Legends. But consider for a moment that it took League almost two years (21 months) to get to that same level of player activity. Valve's Dota 2 took even longer: 33 months. In those terms, Heroes is currently outperforming everyone.

zoukka

Sylvanas clears the whole damn mines so fast that's it's stupid not to get skulls with her, the whole thing is like custom made for her kit. She can do the work of four people in less time.

Enter the mines, avoid fights, suck up all the skulls, exit mines when contested, steal enemy siege giants as they're doing the golem and push hard.

If you can get at least 40 skulls and steal enemy Giants and cap your Giants at the right time (right when the boss crosses the enemies last gate) then you just win. And you can do all of that by yourself as sylvanas. It's so broken. As long as your team is not completely retarded you can solo that map as sylvanas.

Nah plenty of heroes clear skulls faster or as fast. Sylv's greatest asset is disabling towers and nuking giant waves of creep. Not collecting skulls or stealing mercs (she's incredibly slow at that too).

Syf

Banned
Very late to the discussion but according to this they have 6 million active players?

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2015-10-13-heroes-fate-is-tied-closely-to-the-success-of-activision
Hopefully we get some solid population stats from the 3rd quarter conference call next month and not another "these three games combined have this many players" line.

If that's accurate though I'd call it encouraging for such a young MOBA with no real established pro scene, but there's some issues that need to be fixed for real growth to happen, with top priority being matchmaking. Blizz has to realize that matching a new player with a high MMR vet is a quick way to ruin both players' interest in the game.

Maledict

Nah plenty of heroes clear skulls faster or as fast. Sylv's greatest asset is disabling towers and nuking giant waves of creep. Not collecting skulls or stealing mercs (she's incredibly slow at that too).

On haunted mines, it's worth taking the level 1 talent that makes your withering fire do 200% bonus damage to non heroic targets instead of the range talent. That combiend with the level 7 exploding poison talent means that yes, Sylvanas really does clear the mines faster than any other character in the game. It's the only time I'd advise taking that talent over the range.

zoukka

On haunted mines, it's worth taking the level 1 talent that makes your withering fire do 200% bonus damage to non heroic targets instead of the range talent. That combiend with the level 7 exploding poison talent means that yes, Sylvanas really does clear the mines faster than any other character in the game. It's the only time I'd advise taking that talent over the range.

I would not spec sylv to kill skulls marginally faster and sacrifice her great sniping potential. Getting skulls is more about positioning and tempo anyways.

Maledict

Its not about just taking skulls, its also about pushing with her. If you first pick Sylvanas, the entire game play is to push and that enables her to push much harder. I normally love the withering fire range, but on that map protect the Sylvanas and outpush them is a very strong tactic.

It's just something I picked up from watching the pro games, and it does seem to work. I'd never thought of using it until I saw teams taking it.

zoukka

Speccing her for hero fights doesn't remove her pushing potential nor does it change the strategy. But I understand that pro build as well, I just love retaining her ability to 1v1 and snipe if it comes to that.

Vanillalite

LiLi players which special do you take?

Water Dragons seem good as a form of CC. Healing Jug seems good at first glance, but I feel like that shit will get wrecked bh interrupts from good teams.

Am I crazy?

Water Dragons seem good as a form of CC. Healing Jug seems good at first glance, but I feel like that shit will get wrecked bh interrupts from good teams.

Am I crazy?

Pretty much always Jug. You've gotta do your best to cast it after they use their stuns and position yourself as far away from stunners as possible. Yes, it's definitely a major weakness of Jug... But still better than Water Dragon. The exception is if we have another support I'll consider Water Dragon, but ultimately I rarely take it.

Schuhu

Neo Member

Am I crazy?

Jugs always. Yes it can be interrupted easily but it has huge range so you have to position yourself properly or wait until their stuns are gone

Vanillalite

Man tried to check out the official forums.

90% of the posts are just complaints about MMR.

Needless to say I bailed asap.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Never check out the official forums of anything popular they are always awful.

The best forums are ones that barely interest anyone.

That's not always true.

For video games though, it's mostly true. I visit Subaru and Harley forums that get lots of traffic but are mostly great for positive discussion and info. When it comes to games though it does seem to be a trend of negativity. Flight simulator forums though are an exception, but I think that's a different crowd of "gamers" than most games get. More of an enthusiast crowd really.

It's a shame really.

Altairre

Thanks for the info, good to know. I don't own Sylvanas yet so and haven't played her in free rotation, I just saw that on stream a couple of times and was wondering if it is the way to go. With the talents Maledict mentioned it does make a lot of sense to use her in mines especially.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom