• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT| Pretty sure that Abathur is AFK

Status
Not open for further replies.
I decided to try a Locust/Nest build for Abathur. I felt weak like 70% of the game until I started moving around and realised "oh, this shit pushes super fast." Symbiote build seems more fun, though.

Alur

When Arena comes out I foresee spending a lot of time there.

It looks like it's finally going to be the mode where it's fun with friends, but it's also possible to have fun going in as a solo player for a quick game.

The one thing Overwatch has bigtime vs HOTS right now is that when you lose it isn't near as painful because you can carry or be carried + swap heroes to try and adapt.

Obviously neither are possible in HOTS, so alternate game modes can introduce more fun and less of the other stuff that makes some matches you play each night so damn brutal due to MM or comp or whatever.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
The other that's nice about Overwatch is that if your team mega sucks then you're only in the match for 5 mins at most. I don't know what arena is like but if it's short games then it could be a great casual mode.

patchday

New Arena mode sounds very interesting! Looking forward to trying it out

Yeah Overwatch definitely allows player skill to shine. In HOTS, you have to shine more as a Team which can be difficult with random strangers

Maledict

I think it's a bit unfair to Dignitas to say the DK match was the real final. Dig took a game off cloud 9 in the early round which DK didn't manage to do, and Dig beat Navi hands down which again no-one was expecting.

Dig do seem to have an issue with whiffing in finals though - not sure if it's nerves or whatever, but their drafts go a bit crazy and they clearly aren't on their game. It's happened a few times now, so presume they just need more practice as a team and in that setting. They've managed to come a huge distance in a really short space of time so I have great expectations of them for the future.

Dig has often been inconsistent in their performance, both online and on lans. Dunno what it is. Bakery needs to expand his support catalogue, he's probably the best monk player in the west but he's depending on him a bit much. Don't think they could have won at peak performance though against C9's strats.

NaVi played worse yesterday though.

Alur

Was checking through players' Twitters and saw k1pro say he died 0 times during the finals.

Impressive as hell. Especially with all the flanking he does. So good.

Maledict

Regarding the arena, does anyone else think that the lack of talents will be a real problem? some heroes are fine without talents (Jaina, Valla), whereas some are incredibly weak (Illidan, Kael). Wouldn't it be better to have heroes just come with a pre-loaded talent spec?

Alur

Pic of (I'm assuming) hero select screen for Arena from Solidjake's twitter:

Oo69yhN.png

Also grabbed this from the panel yesterday of the death recap screen:

patchday

Some things I feel would improve the game:

• Allow players to build talent tree before game. Also allow it to be tweaked dynamically if we need to
  • Map voting. I LOVED all the vanilla maps but dont care for the two new ones much

Just simple little quality of life changes

Regarding the arena, does anyone else think that the lack of talents will be a real problem? some heroes are fine without talents (Jaina, Valla), whereas some are incredibly weak (Illidan, Kael). Wouldn't it be better to have heroes just come with a pre-loaded talent spec?

huh wonder how that will work

Some things I feel would improve the game:

Allow players to build talent tree before game. Also allow it to be tweaked dynamically if we need to

I would consider this to be way too much effort for way too little benefit. Having to manually pick talents is a nonissue as far as I am concerned. There are more important things they need to work on, such as a map veto which I would prefer to a map voting system. They have talked about the possibility of reworking the map system once there are more maps. With Towers of Doom or whatever it's called being added, I feel like we're nearing that point.

Alur

I will be glad to spread Cho'Gall to any NA players who have 3k MMR or better. Kappa

huehue

Nah, really, anyone that wants it on NA I can probably help ya out. Then maybe one of you can help me get it on my smurf accounts. :D

I just can't imagine a middle-ground where Cho'Gall is not severely underpowered or severely overpowered. The hero concept is just so intrinsically opposed to the way the game works; heroes like Murky/Abathur have to make up for their decreased hero presence by getting an XP advantage close to what another hero would be worth through their unique mechanics. I don't see how Cho'Gall is going to get double XP or something like that to make up for the loss of another hero unless his double abilities are so powerful together that he ends up being able to solo enemy heroes. And that's not good either because it means that even if you double up on him he can easily pick you off one by one.

kirblar

He can easily blow you up 1 v 1. That's by design- treat him like he's two people.

CC is hyper-effective against him, Anub'Arak especially.

The concern I have is that "Cho'Gall <> Hero" will be like "Hero <> Murky/Lost Viking". The power differential with the latter is balanced by lowered death experience/impact (Murky respawns fast, other lost Vikings to control). But with Cho'Gall, he picks off one hero and not only do you suffer the consequences of a normal hero death, but it also means that your second hero in the lane can't risk contesting anymore lest they get blown up too. So a second hero in the lane isn't worth much if it doesn't actually impede Cho'Gall from killing you (like sending a second Viking to a lane).

If you have to play uber-defensive against him, you'll probably just want to send your second hero somewhere else to actually gain an advantage and consider the lane lost since Cho'Gall will just end up outpoking/trading you to death anyway.

kirblar

If you kill Cho'Gall, you get double EXP and cripple their team. You just need to avoid 1v1 engagements at all costs because it's really a 2v1. It's just like dealing with 2 people buddied up.

I feel like Cho'Gall will be able to easily one-shot Murky and Erik (and maybe Baelog). It'll be fun to see just how beefy Cho'Gall really is. He's been my most-wanted Blizzard-universe character to be turned into a hero, so I'm psyched.

Milly79

Random Reddit guy that play tested everything at blizzcon said:
They're all very fun, but play very differently.

Greymane for example, kind of plays like Butcher. If you want to go in for the melee burst kill, you need to wait and time it correctly. If you just engage with it, you'll get burst down pretty fast. You really need to poke in human form and finish with worgen form.

Lunara is very much about poking and dwindling away enemy health. Like they mentioned in the panel, you need to be attacking everyone and spreading your poison, as its the basis to all your skills and talents. For everyone poisoned, you can heal yourself, or increase attack speed, etc. With her increased constant movement speed, you can pretty much chase and poke and kite everyone constantly.

Cho'Gall is actually a ton of fun, even more so if you play with a friend on a mic. Timing attacks and face rolling 2/3 vs 1 is such an awesome feeling. He definitely needs some nerfs as he was super strong.

TDLink

I like that HOTS is doing unique stuff with MOBA character design. Lost Vikings, Abathur, Cho'Gall. It's really cool and I hope they continue it.

Don't get me wrong, I think literally having two players control Cho'Gall is hilarious and awesome. I love that HOTS is a space that allows for these kind of quirky hero designs. But this particular design challenge (2 in 1) is extremely hard to make viable/competitive because the sum ends up being greater/lesser than the whole of its parts.

kirblar

They've said that the two teams are independent, but that when something's developed for SC2 or HOTS, its very easy to put it into the other game w/ little effort since they're on the same engine. Archon's been coming for a long time, so they likely just C/P'd what they were doing w/ that into this in order to get the hero to work correctly.

Ketch

I don't know if it's necessarily fair to say it's very easy to put something from one game into the other just because they're on the same engine. So many games run on the unreal, unity, source... would you automatically assume it would be easy to copy something from Half life to Dota?

Besides, dont you think that Chogall is basically just abathur symbiote tech adapted (get it? adapted) to new hero?

kirblar

I don't know if it's necessarily fair to say it's very easy to put something from one game into the other just because they're on the same engine. So many games run on the unreal, unity, source... would you automatically assume it would be easy to copy something from Half life to Dota?

Besides, dont you think that Chogall is basically just abathur symbiote tech adapted (get it? adapted) to new hero?
They've literally said that themselves- I'm not putting words into their mouths.

It might be that simple- but some of the mechanical stuff (the E, shared stats) might not.

Ketch

They've literally said that themselves- I'm not putting words into their mouths.

It might be that simple- but some of the mechanical stuff (the E, shared stats) might not.

What does any of that stuff have to do with archon mode though? I thought archon mode was just like coop starcraft (macro/micro mod if you're familiar), are their super units and stuff in there too?

They've said that the two teams are independent, but that when something's developed for SC2 or HOTS, its very easy to put it into the other game w/ little effort since they're on the same engine. Archon's been coming for a long time, so they likely just C/P'd what they were doing w/ that into this in order to get the hero to work correctly.

Didn't they just say at Blizzcon that it's the same team now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom