• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of the Storm |OT| Pretty sure that Abathur is AFK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maledict

Well rabid fanbase gonna rabid.

Other than Johnzee's tweet and that datamine, they've given no inclination she's coming out today. Previously we knew the day before if not a week before.

So people are getting tore up over it yet we never got an official okay.

Then there's the fact that most patches haven't went live til around 12:30-2:30 CST timeframe (10:30-12:30 PST/Blizzard time) so we are still a little early if they are just gonna flip a switch at a time they picked.

I honestly don't know what they are doing, but to say the launch sucks is a stretch. Game is up and playable without lag or game breaking bugs which is always the biggest problem for a Blizzard game. The Nexus Calling event and whether or not Johanna comes in only affects the experience those of us already playing, not so much Joe Moba who picks up the game today.

So, people bought the game last night, at the crappy launch event.

They log in today, it's still a beta. The hero they were shown last night, isn't in the game. The video they posted about her still refers to joining the beta in the coming weeks.

There's no launch time, no announcement, nothing.

Maybe in the States this makes more sense cause it's still morning there, but in Europe (where the event was held!) this just looks utterly amateurish right now and pretty bloody stupid. It's not even about getting the new hero (I'm not getting her), it's just...stupid? Launch a game or don't, but don't just go into silence mode on the day of release!

We should just be content with the game working fine? Of course it should work fine, many of us have spent actual money on it by now.

I'm glad the game is working...but you would think they would have something planned for the actual launch of the game? Not sure how that's being unreasonable or rabid.

I know they never said anything about launch plans before but it's still kind of a bummer.

I mean, this is the launch of a new Blizzard game, I would think they would make a bigger deal out of it.

Maybe I'm just being grumpy because Johanna isn't out.

TheYanger

I guess I'm not sure what people expect from 'launch' of a game that has been in open beta for a month and been around for over a year. They redid the front end completely with the OB patch and it's working well, that's essentially the 'release' patch as far as I'm concerned, OB is just them testing it.

gryvan

so I checked hotslogs....and my mmr in QM is like 1667....

however my MMR in HL is around 2135...I guess thats good even though that QM one is a huge debbie downer

Alur

Maybe I'm just being grumpy because Johanna isn't out.

I guess I'm not sure what people expect from 'launch' of a game that has been in open beta for a month and been around for over a year. They redid the front end completely with the OB patch and it's working well, that's essentially the 'release' patch as far as I'm concerned, OB is just them testing it.

These are pretty much my two main points

Most people are just flat pissed Johanna/the bonus mounts aren't in right now, bar none. When we really are just now entering the window when things normally go live for Heroes of the Storm if it were an actual patch. If she doesn't make it at all today I could see some resentment, maybe, but it's a little early now. And again, they've never expressly proclaimed she's coming today.

Secondly, as TheYanger said, most of what we were going to see was apparently released 2-3 weeks ago in the Open Beta patch. We speculated there would be two patches - one for OB and one for launch...they never said that. We got our hopes up. We were wrong. We also speculated Johanna today and other than that tweet and the datamine we have no concrete proof of that.

I don't know what there is to be bitterly disappointed about other than the fact that we (again) ran wild with speculation just like we did with the "Diablo 3 pack" and "Team League with Hero League" and countless other things that everyone pitchforked around about for a week afterwards. We do it to ourselves every time by extrapolating things. I am right in the thick of it. I dunno when we'll learn not to cause all it does is end in disappointment unless we here a dev say "it's coming 'x'".

And Maledict, I understand your particular frustration due to the launch event being on your continent...but they've always dropped trough for us (NA) before EU. I think you and I touched on it yesterday or the day before so is it really a surprise? It sucks, yes, but it's not like they are deviating from what they've always done with this game to this point.

TheYanger

These are pretty much my two main points

Most people are just flat pissed Johanna/the bonus mounts aren't in right now, bar none. When we really are just now entering the window when things normally go live for Heroes of the Storm if it were an actual patch.

Secondly, as TheYanger said, most of what we were going to see was apparently released 2-3 weeks ago in the Open Beta patch. We speculated there would be two patches - one for OB and one for launch...they never said that. We got our hopes up. We were wrong. We also speculated Johanna today and other than that tweet and the datamine we have no concrete proof of that.

I don't know what there is to be bitterly disappointed about other than the fact that we (again) ran wild with speculation just like we did with the "Diablo 3 pack" and "Team League with Hero League" and countless other things that everyone pitchforked around about for a week afterwards. We do it to ourselves every time by extrapolating things. I am right in the thick of it. I dunno when we'll learn not to cause all it does is end in disappointment unless we here a dev say "it's coming 'x'".

And Maledict, I understand your particular frustration due to the launch event being on your continent...but they've always dropped trough for us (NA) before EU. I think you and I touched on it yesterday or the day before so is it really a surprise? It sucks, yes, but it's not like they are deviating from what they've always done with this game to this point.

See, that's what I don't get. Why would they patch it on release day in any major way? That's a path for disaster. The point of OB is to make the launch feel smooth, any time you patch your product you risk it shitting the bed in some manner.

Mechazawa

I'm angry because it means that window for Johanna to drop down to the regular 10k gold price gets that much longer.

Damn you Blizzard.

Damn you.

kirblar

The problem with the launch event was simple: it didn't sell the game whatsoever.

I've been to a preview party for MTG- they showed us new cards, getting us at the venue super-excited, as well as getting everyone at home super-excited.

Instead, they had alcohol, a pretty CGI wall, and this.

No demos. No overviews. Just more generic Twitch music.

Alur

Agreed, but that was the launch party.

As for the actual game it's up and running and not facing the outages we've seen (at least not yet) in all the other Blizzard launches.

Sure you can tie the Nexus Calling into launch as a singular disappointment, but just because it sucked doesn't mean the launch is a disappointment based on what people have often complained about with Blizzard games; I can't play on launch day. Servers suck. Lag is horrendous. Why, etc etc.

so this is F2P, right? Does everyone start fresh today at level 0?

No, the last wipe was before Beta. There's no real reason for people who were playing to restart at level 1. You don't really gain anything by being leveled other than access to Hero League at account level 30 and unlocking all the talents for each hero you get beyond level 4 (until account level 25, where talents are unlocked for all heroes). It doesn't take very long at all.

And by not resetting, they are keeping you from facing people who've been playing a year or close to it in your games (theoretically anyway) due to their MMR remaining in tact.

Alavard

Yes to the first question, and no to the second. Gold, xp, and heroes purchased with both gold and real money are all kept for those who have already been playing. Quick Match MMR (which is an internal number anyway) and Hero/Team League rankings also don't get reset yet, but the rankings will be reset at some point in the future when 'season 1' begins.

The problem with the launch event was simple: it didn't sell the game whatsoever.

I've been to a preview party for MTG- they showed us new cards, getting us at the venue super-excited, as well as getting everyone at home super-excited.

Instead, they had alcohol, a pretty CGI wall, and this.

No demos. No overviews. Just more generic Twitch music.

lol Thanks for that video, pretty great. And yeah, I agree about the event. It was just a bunch of fluff. Bad fluff.

Nope. Everything carries over from beta.

Alur

vAKRish.png

Rejoice!

Milly79

We will be launching @BlizzHeroes this afternoon, and Johanna will be entering the Nexus.

Alur, you're such a bully.

computer-smash-other-guys-Mark-Wahlberg-angry.gif

Best MOBA

As others have mentioned, no, there's no reset; but it's important to know that there's no real competitive advantage for anyone beyond hero level 4 (which only takes a few games to get). In other words, you're not really starting behind anyone.

Well, whatever, Shia LeBeouf is totally telling me to buy Johanna. I can't think of a better person to take financial advice from than Actual Cannibal Shia LeBeouf.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
So the only thing I need to know: Do you still get blinded if you are not looking at Johanna when she does the move?

Kurita

1- I hate Asmodan
2- People are terrible when it comes to Nova's clone. STOP WASTING YOUR ABILITIES ON IT.
3- Fuck Asmodan

Xater

I have just been in a match which my team lost to the bots. OMG first time that ever happened. These guys there like incredibly bad.

-Digits-

I have just been in a match which my team lost to the bots. OMG first time that ever happened. These guys there like incredibly bad.

It happens, and every time it does I am amazed. I mean, how do you even manage something like that?

TxdoHawk

Loving the last set of buffs to Gazlowe. Yeah, okay, the XL turrets only being able to hit multiple targets in a cone is a pretty big change, but the fact that you can now talent for XL or slow turrets + extra turret charge + increased turret range all at once makes you annoying as hell, especially around objectives enemy team members are trying to claim. This is on top of the fact that turrets continue to be amazing for soaking tower damage and wasting ammo.

Also, I will never get sick of people trying to come into melee range at Level 20 and finding out the hard way that Mecha Lord hurts.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
The best is when you tell them exactly what will happen if they continue playing as they are, and they argue with you going "it's just AI" as if it makes them invincible, and then everything you said happens.

Also fun is when they ignore your calls to a 3v1 or 4v1 in your lane (while somehow making zero progress in their lanes) and you lose a fort because of it, then later on they show absolutely no capacity to fight together to defeat a deathball, so you ignore them like they ignored you and they are crying about it, but you push to the core to make all the bots instantly back off.

Yeah n00bs, maybe you should listen.

Pooya

1- I hate Asmodan
2- People are terrible when it comes to Nova's clone. STOP WASTING YOUR ABILITIES ON IT.
3- Fuck Asmodan

why asmo hate? he's fair and well designed, super slow too. Can only get a short escape late in the game. If you're having trouble with him your team has bad assassins.... a decent nova wrecks him... I know from experience... I hate Nova.

1- I hate Asmodan
3- Fuck Asmodan

How do they know it's not a clone or is the real nova? Tell me the secrets please.
Azmo with his lazer beam of following death? MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

>=D Evil consumes you,.

Savitar

Maybe to cheer things up a bit I went and bought the starter pack to get a mount and character I wanted. Considering the costume trick meant I got another copy of the character I have five codes to give away.

Lili
Sonya
Zeratul
Zagara
Jaina

I'll give away each to the first person to quote this and ask for a specific character. You only get one, and if you got one from someone before try not be greedy. I'll PM you the code.

So have at it. First come first serve.

Pooya

How do they know it's not a clone or is the real nova? Tell me the secrets please.
Azmo with his lazer beam of following death? MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

>=D Evil consumes you,.

well first you should look for her cloaking effect before she attacks and hit her with aoe. with a decent monitor it's easy but generally they hide in grass and camp so next step.
Their movement, clones usually don't escape, real one escapes immediately. This is the most obvious one. Early in the game they don't do damage either so it's another way to tell. The way the clones attack and turn around usually gives it away. When it gets busy and you get jumped on its hard to tell though. Usually Nova players camp near your own walls to snipe you as you escape. This is the most cliche nova attack but you can't do much about it if your hero is slow.

Clearos

Maybe to cheer things up a bit I went and bought the starter pack to get a mount and character I wanted. Considering the costume trick meant I got another copy of the character I have five codes to give away.

Lili
Sonya
Zeratul
Zagara
Jaina

I'll give away each to the first person to quote this and ask for a specific character. You only get one, and if you got one from someone before try not be greedy. I'll PM you the code.

Zeratul please and thank you.

Lili
Sonya
Zeratul
Zagara
Jaina

Can i get Sonya ? Thank you

Lili
Sonya
Zeratul
Zagara
Jaina

Jaina please

Lili
Sonya
Zeratul
Zagara
Jaina

I'll take Lili. :)

What is the costume trick?

dave is ok

aztek is ok

Lili
Sonya
Zeratul
Zagara
Jaina

Did someone say Zagara?

Lili
Sonya
Zeratul
Zagara
Jaina

Darn, was late for Zeratul. I wouldn't mind Zagara though :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom